What are my chances? Personal Details Inside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattMont123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post to this website its been great reading other responses but i wanted to personalize mine and get some input.

I am pursuing my bachelors degree in health sciences

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.1
200+ Volunteer Hours
100+ Shadowing hours (Anesthesiologist, General Surgeon)

Taking the MCATs the end of spring semester 2015 (New Test)

Classes still to take before sending applications in:
Physics 1, Physics 2, Genetics, Pathphysiology 1/2. Have a chance to get sGPA to about a 3.3 ish before applying.

Have 1 W on my transcript this semester due to a couple of deaths in the family

What are my chances? MD,DO,IMG. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're chances are fair if you do moderately well on the MCAT. Right now, a 28 on the MCAT is considered the top 65th percentile. I don't know how the scoring will change for the 2015 MCAT, but I'd imagine you'd have a good shot at osteopathic schools if you were in the 65th percentile or higher. I'd really work on pulling your grades up, especially your science gpa. Right now, your gpa makes getting into an allopathic school very difficult. You'd have to really pull it up. Long story short, pull up your science GPA to a 3.4 and get in the top 65th percentile or better on the MCAT, and I think you have a decent shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're chances are fair if you do moderately well on the MCAT. Right now, a 28 on the MCAT is considered the top 65th percentile. I don't know how the scoring will change for the 2015 MCAT, but I'd imagine you'd have a good shot at osteopathic schools if you were in the 65th percentile or higher. I'd really work on pulling your grades up, especially your science gpa. Right now, your gpa makes getting into an allopathic school very difficult. You'd have to really pull it up. Long story short, pull up your science GPA to a 3.4 and get in the top 65th percentile or better on the MCAT, and I think you have a decent shot.

If my grades stayed where they were, is there a chance for D.O programs? Do you recommend holding off on applications until the summer after senior year to boost my GPA even more?

There's a chance. A lot of osteopathic programs have an average gpa of 3.4-3.6. However, I feel like most people on SDN forget that the average means that HALF of the accepted students have a gpa under this. It would help tremendously for your science gpa to increase to a 3.3 or a 3.4. So yeah, I'd recommend holding off on submitting your transcripts until they are updated to include your senior classes, which will hopefully boast your gpa a little. Just don't forget about your MCAT, it needs to be better than the average score of the school you're wanting to go to if your gpa is going to be under the average. And take all this with a grain of salt! I'm just now going through the admissions process myself.

sGPA looks lethal for MD schools as of right now, and the cGPA is a tad below avg.
For DO schools, you'll have more luck, but you should apply broadly.

Hey guys this is my first post to this website its been great reading other responses but i wanted to personalize mine and get some input.

I am pursuing my bachelors degree in health sciences

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.1
200+ Volunteer Hours
100+ Shadowing hours (Anesthesiologist, General Surgeon)

Taking the MCATs the end of spring semester 2015 (New Test)

Classes still to take before sending applications in:
Physics 1, Physics 2, Genetics, Pathphysiology 1/2. Have a chance to get sGPA to about a 3.3 ish before applying.

Have 1 W on my transcript this semester due to a couple of deaths in the family

What are my chances? MD,DO,IMG. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!