What Are My Chances? Please Help!!! Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knickskid7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, so this is my situation:
CGPA:2.9
SGPA:3.1
MCAT: 32

I initially went to NYIT for my first three years of college and finished up 75 credits with a 2.9 gpa. 32 MCAT first try. I failed Gen Chem 1 twice and got a B the third time around, I must admit I never was good in General Chemistry. I was dealing with many personal issues with my family and was working 30+ hours a week during those three years. I have maintained a upward trajectory from the 2.5 -- 3.3 range as those three years went by. I finally transferred out due to the high tuition and the school itself, I didn't like the school because of the professors and the science department wasn't that good. It felt like i was getting a subpar education at a high cost of tuition. I transferred close to home, to Queens College to take care of my mom after personal issues and I quit my job to focus on school. I took 12 credits over the summer in a month at Queens college and came out with a 3.7. I then was taking 21 credits in the fall and pulled out with a 3.5 gpa (4/5 science classes), i went to costa rica in the winter for 3 weeks and took a tropical marine biology course and got an A while also helping the medical community which was the best part. I took another 21 credits in the spring and maintained a 3.5 (RE-TOOK Gen Bio 2 because I got a C- and got an A the second time around, 4/5 science classes, upper level). In the summer I took two more classes and graduated at the end of my senior year completing 65 credits that year alone. I always enjoyed helping people since I was very young. I was in the boy scouts for 9 years and I attended a high school that specialized in community service and I did 300 hours. I am apart of many clubs in college. I started to do clinical research and many many studies and an internship at a hospital in my junior year and did that till the end of my senior year for a total of 500 hours. I shadowed a DO for 50 hours and an MD for 50 hours as well as performing 100 hours of patient advocacy as well as publishing a research projection my senior year at the hospital. I graduated Cum Laude at my college. I have always wanted to be a doctor but due to some personal situations I needed to overcome and some obstacles I needed to face I did my best to correct my mistakes and tried my best to do well. I am a Palestinian muslim and I realize that its going to be tough for me to get into medical school but I am not going to give up my journey. I am currently taking Bio chemistry to get familiar with it as well as continuing my research at the hospital. I just wanted to know the chances of me getting accepted at an MD school? what are my chances of getting accepted to a med school whether low, mid, or high tier. ? Should I think about any other options?
Chances of acceptance to a US MD school with a cGPA less than 3.0, low BCPM GPA, and a lack of a rock-star quality recent GPA (despite the heavy course loads) are very low.

Chances of acceptance to a DO school where you can take advantage of the grade replacement policy for the two F grades in Gen Chem I and C- in Bio II are considerably better.

He thanks for the reply. I actually was planning to possibly only apply DO because I love the philosophy and the holistic approach they implement. I was wondering what you thought my chances would be with these:
Cgpa-3.3-3.4
Sgpa-3.45--3.5
Mcat 32

The gpas are calculated in accordance with AACOMAS standards of gpa calculation.
Please let me m know your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
He thanks for the reply. I actually was planning to possibly only apply DO because I love the philosophy and the holistic approach they implement. I was wondering what you thought my chances would be with these:
Cgpa-3.3-3.4
Sgpa-3.45--3.5
Mcat 32

The gpas are calculated in accordance with AACOMAS standards of gpa calculation.
Please let me m know your thoughts.
I think your chances for DO with those stats would be very good.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it.

uGPA of ~2.9 (challenging workload), 33 MCAT. I went to an established SMP right after graduating finished with a +3.8. Lots of ECs and research at top tier institutions. What do you think? I am currently in the application cycle with 1 md interview.

uGPA of ~2.9 (challenging workload), 33 MCAT. I went to an established SMP right after graduating finished with a +3.8. Lots of ECs and research at top tier institutions. What do you think? I am currently in the application cycle with 1 md interview.
You need to start a thread to get feedback specific to your case!

100% agree.

Chances of acceptance to a US MD school with a cGPA less than 3.0, low BCPM GPA, and a lack of a rock-star quality recent GPA (despite the heavy course loads) are very low.

Chances of acceptance to a DO school where you can take advantage of the grade replacement policy for the two F grades in Gen Chem I and C- in Bio II are considerably better.

You have a decent chance for a DO acceptance but apply early (June ) and submit your secondaries by July. apply broadly ( 12 or more schools ) and you should receive several interviews.