What are my chances? Plus help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

primpuff523

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be applying during the current cycle and am currently working on my school list!
Any help/ comments would be appreciated :)

So here are my stats:

Just finished my junior year at a Big 10 University
Asian/ female
cGPA: 3.81 sGPA:3.76
MCAT: 36 - PS11/ V11/ BS14

Research experience:
Worked same PI since 2nd semester of freshman year plus summers: 7 sem. total
------ second author publication pending
HHMI Internship

Work/ Extracurriculars/ Volunteer work:

Science Student Council - Editor/ writer for College of Science newsletter
Paid Bio tutor through the Department of Biology
Volunteered at local hospital (patient transporter) : ~ 100 hr
Volunteered at Veteran's Home: ~ 20 hr
Volunteer Korean teacher at local Korean school and International center
Other various small club activities...

My school list so far:

University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
Cornell University
Northwestern University
Emory University
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Iowa
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
Indiana University
Stony Brook University
University of Illinois - Chicago

This is obviously a long list and I am planning on adding/ deleting some schools from the list.
Trying to apply broadly! I think I have a chance of getting into an MSTP program..... right? I just feel like a cookie cutter applicant :( ANY COMMENTS WOULD HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good chance of gaining admission with this group of schools. Your quants are not outstanding, but your long stint in the lab is a plus. Have you presented your work at any conferences? Admissions committees will expect you to be able to tell a good story about your research, so practice gained through participation in scientific meetings is helpful.

Apply early to have the best shot of getting an interview.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I have presented my research through multiple seminar classes, poster presentation sessions, etc.
:) I will be submitting my AMCAS application mid-July because of a letter of rec that is coming in pretty late... Hope that is early enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you can submit your AMCAS once your grades are entered and all your essays are written. I don't think you have to wait for the LORs. This will help get your grades etc. verified earlier in the cycle. You can then add schools as you go.

Your stats are solid, but I'd still stick with 16-20 schools just to be on the safe side. MD/PhD application #s have been steadily increasing over the years.

I think you should be solid for those schools given your stats and provided you have good essays and rec letters. I would even tell you to be a bit more ambitious maybe.

That's really not a long list. I applied to just over 20 schools and looking back I'm glad I did.

I think you should be solid for those schools given your stats and provided you have good essays and rec letters. I would even tell you to be a bit more ambitious maybe.

That's really not a long list. I applied to just over 20 schools and looking back I'm glad I did.

When/if you have the time, it would be helpful if you finished(or create) your mdapps data. I'm applying to many of the same schools that accepted you and I'm trying to decided how many is enough without spending $$ I don't have. :oops:
Thanks.:)

I really think there should be some kind of a common pool for MSTP applicants. /rant