What are my chances, really concerned !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishiningstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGpa 3.6, sGpa 3.55
MCAT 32

Here is the list I came up with

Albany
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
Central Michigan University
Cooper NJ
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical
Florida Atlantic,
Florida International
Quinnipiac , Connecticut
George Washington
Georgetown University
Hofstra
Indiana University,
Thomas Jefferson,
Loyola University,
New York Medical College
Oakland University ,
Penn State
Rush Medical
Saint Louis University, St. Louis
SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn (oos smaller percent)
Stony Brook University
Temple University,
Tufts University
Commonwealth Medical, Scranton
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida,
University of Illinois Chicago
University of Maryland
University of Miami
University of South Carolina Columbia
University of South Carolina Greenville
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wright State
University of Toledo,
Wake Forest University
West Virginia University
University of Colorado
University of Cincinnati,
Not sure if I should even apply to the following
Albert Einstien??
Dartmouth??
Boston University??
Emory??
Please tell me which of the above I should delete and what other schools I may add to the list.
Will appreciate feedback from Goro and other adcoms and anyone that can advise.
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy the online one and do research on these schools. You have a ton of public schools who favor residents. You need to look carefully at the stats for OOS interviews/acceptances. Also look at the stats section for GPAs/MCAT. Some of these schools might not accept any OOS students.

Yes I have the MSAR and I have done the research, this is the list I came up with based on that. But I am not experienced or very knowledgable on that, so I am asking for comments and feedback about my chances and help with refining the list in terms of what schools I should delete or add.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can delete these school since they are state public schools that accept few OOS applicants with your stats:

Cooper NJ
Indiana University
SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn
Stony Brook University
University of Maryland
Wright State
University of Toledo
West Virginia University
University of Colorado
Apply to the others on your list (but not Einstein, Dartmouth, Emory, BU) and consider adding:
Tulane
Western Michigan
Creighton

You can delete these school since they are state public schools that accept few OOS applicants with your stats:

Cooper NJ
Indiana University
SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn
Stony Brook University
University of Maryland
Wright State
University of Toledo
West Virginia University
University of Colorado
Apply to the others on your list (but not Einstein, Dartmouth, Emory, BU) and consider adding:
Tulane
Western Michigan
Creighton

Last edited:
Thank you Faha! That's interesting, I thought I only had public schools with stats close to mine on my list that accept at least 25 percent OOS.

So should one aim at schools that accept above a certain percentage of OOS for it to be worth applying to? To be accepted as an OOS is not sufficient if your stats are around the average for that school? What's the general idea here?

Thanks for your time!

When the state public schools accept OOS applicants they generally fall into one of these categories:
The applicant attended the state undergraduate school.
The applicant is a legacy
They have some other connection to the state (may have lived there until age 16 and then moved to another state.
They have a very high GPA and/or MCAT
Your stats may be average for those schools but the state residents have a lower average and the OOS applicants a much higher average.

Reactions: 1 users
When the state public schools accept OOS applicants they generally fall into one of these categories:
The applicant attended the state undergraduate school.
The applicant is a legacy
They have some other connection to the state (may have lived there until age 16 and then moved to another state.
They have a very high GPA and/or MCAT
Your stats may be average for those schools but the state residents have a lower average and the OOS applicants a much higher average.
Thanks a lot Faha!

Will appreciate opinions/feedback from others!

Thanks

Waiting on more responses.

Is there anyway that I can request other experts like @Goro , @gyngyn , @GrapesofRath to also give your opinions on my school list. I would be very thankful as I am trying to decide where I should apply. Please feel free to also let me know what you think my chances are.

Welcome comments from others also.

I suggest the following:

Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Rochester
Thomas Jefferson,
Loyola University,
New York Medical College
Oakland University ,
Rush Medical
Temple University,
Tufts University
University of Miami
Wake Forest University
West Virginia University
Western MI
Creighton
U VT
MCW
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Your state schools
Any DO school

I suggest the following:

Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Rochester
Thomas Jefferson,
Loyola University,
New York Medical College
Oakland University ,
Rush Medical
Temple University,
Tufts University
University of Miami
Wake Forest University
West Virginia University
Western MI
Creighton
U VT
MCW
Your state schools
Any DO school
Thank you so much Goro! Really appreciate all that you do!! Will apply accordingly.

I suggest the following:

Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Rochester
Thomas Jefferson,
Loyola University,
New York Medical College
Oakland University ,
Rush Medical
Temple University,
Tufts University
University of Miami
Wake Forest University
West Virginia University
Western MI
Creighton
U VT
MCW
Your state schools
Any DO school
I have another request Goro, can you please tell me if there's anything lacking in my qualifications, any area that you would consider as weak?

Members don't see this ad :)
How Can you tOP with your already done. You're solid!
Goro, I see that you did not include
George Washington or Georgetown in my list . I thought that my stats are ok for those schools, is there a reason that you didn't include them?

Thanks for your time again!

Goro, I see that you did not include
George Washington or Georgetown in my list . I thought that my stats are ok for those schools, is there a reason that you didn't include them?

Thanks for your time again!
13 and 14K applications a year.

Reactions: 1 user
13 and 14K applications a year.
Thanks for your response. I understand, but does that mean it's not worth applying at all with my stats as they would be my top choices. I would like to give it a shot unless my chances are very small . Do you think I should even bother?

I can't recommend it considering the deluge they get from applicants. It's statistically harder to get into Gtown than it is to get into Harvard!

Thanks for your response. I understand, but does that mean it's not worth applying at all with my stats as they would be my top choices. I would like to give it a shot unless my chances are very small . Do you think I should even bother?

We make recommendations based on the odds of success. Depending on your circumstances, any number of low yield schools may still be worth the application, though. If you are from the DC area or have connections to the school your odds go up somewhat...

I can't recommend it considering the deluge they get from applicants. It's statistically harder to get into Gtown than it is to get into Harvard!
Oh ok makes sense , thanks !

We make recommendations based on the odds of success. Depending on your circumstances, any number of low yield schools may still be worth the application, though. If you are from the DC area or have connections to the school your odds go up somewhat...
I have no connections whatsoever. Thanks for the response!

I get the reason for scratching G-town(mission based to a fair extent) but if you're going to eliminate GW for this reason you might as well do the same thing for Drexel and NYMC.

Sure Drexels class is bigger but 40% of the class is also IS(despite only 7% of apps being IS) meaning GW's and Drexels OOS apps/OOS matriculants ratio is close to identical. Drexel also has a bunch of special programs that part of their class comes from. Same with NYMC: 13k apps and 40% IS, similar class size to GW.

I get the reason for scratching G-town(mission based to a fair extent) but if you're going to eliminate GW for this reason you might as well do the same thing for Drexel and NYMC.

Sure Drexels class is bigger but 40% of the class is also IS(despite only 7% of apps being IS) meaning GW's and Drexels OOS apps/OOS matriculants ratio is close to identical. Drexel also has a bunch of special programs that part of their class comes from. Same with NYMC: 13k apps and 40% IS, similar class size to GW.
I rarely recommend any of them for this reason, unless there is some connection or a "feeder" situation.

If they attended a private undergrad and have to throw a broad net, a few of these can still be worth recommending if stats match.

Sure, I would definitely recommend most from PA apply to both Temple and Drexel an example.

Probably worth throwing Temple and Rosalind on that list also.
Thanks for your response grapes, but that means a lot of the schools on my list now are in that boat which means that my chances are not looking good. Is there a list that you can come up with bad on my stats.

Thanks a bunch for your time!

Last edited:
I rarely recommend any of them for this reason, unless there is some connection or a "feeder" situation.
Thanks gyngyn, but those stats are discouraging , as you list has a bunch of those schools. Would you care to send me a list of your recommendation based on my stats and I am from NC!

Thanks again.

Thanks gyngyn, but those stats are discouraging , as you list has a bunch of those schools. Would you care to send me a list of your recommendation based on my stats and I am from NC!

Thanks again.
You have a good application.
Re-think your list with the info gleaned here and we'll be glad to take a look.

Thanks for your response grapes, but that means a lot of the schools on my list now are in that boat which means that my chances are not looking good. Is there a list that you can come up with bad on my stats. By the way I am from NC.

Thanks a bunch for your time!

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

Use this link to see which schools get the "most apps".

From your gigantic list above
a) cut out any school that doesnt take at least 40% IS
b) Gets 11+k apps a year(this is an arbitrary cutoff if there's a school like NYMC you really like keep it)
c) Doesnt have an MCAT median in the 30-33 range(need MSAR for this).

Apply to all the schools in your state. Pick another 15 using the criteria I listed right here.

b) Gets 11+k apps a year(this is an arbitrary cutoff if there's a school like NYMC you really like keep it)

Apply to all the schools in your state. Pick another 15 using the criteria I listed right here.
You mean OOS?

You have a good application.
Re-think your list with the info gleaned here and we'll be glad to take a look.
Ok will come up with another list and get back to you.
Thanks a lot!

Thank you so much grapes! Will do.

I think the best course of action is to stop being really concerned. As above posters have said, your application is pretty solid and with a well-crafted school list and a decent personality you should be fine.

You mean OOS?

Yes OOS indeed. Note to the OP the bigger point is to eliminate the public schools that take very few OOS applicants(ie FAU, FIU, Cooper Rowan) than to look at 40% OOS vs 50% vs 30% OOS as the arbitrary cut off.

Last edited:
Yes OOS indeed. Note to the OP the bigger point is to eliminate the public schools that take very few OOS applicants(ie FAU, FIU, Cooper Rowan) than to look at 40% OOS vs 50% vs 30% OOS as the arbitrary cut off.
Got it, thanks!
Do public schools ever favor applicants from neighboring states?
And does it matter if you were born and lived for 3-4 years in a certain place in terms of ties ?

Last edited:
I think the best course of action is to stop being really concerned. As above posters have said, your application is pretty solid and with a well-crafted school list and a decent personality you should be fine.
Thank you for the encouragement !