What are my chances? School list help. 3.78cgpa 36 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ananro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior at University of Pittsburgh, and just wanted some opinions on my chances of medical school, and where to apply. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Honors college

Gpa: 3.78 cGPA 3.73 sGPA
Dean's list every semester

MCAT: 36 - only took it once

Volunteering: Children's hospital volunteer>300 hours; helped start a volunteering program between Pitt Students and the hospital

Worked about 50 hours as an EMT locally

Research: One semester antibiotics research - published and gave a presentation at a national conference in D.C.
One summer at the Cleveland Clinic Molecular Cardiology internship
One year of research at pitt in a psychiatry/neuroscience lab - published and pretigious fellowship

Extra cirrciular's-
American medical students Association Chairmen - helped organize campus wide research fairs, and other events
Helped establish a new office under the honors college
EMT certified
Member of an Honors Service Organization
Student Government Board - Board member that helped establish many changes around campus, including new buildings

Shadowing - 35+hours psychiatrists
20+hours with neurosurgeons
15+hours cardiologist

Members don't see this ad.

You're golden. Nothing wrong with aiming high:

Harvard
Yale
UCLA
UCSD
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.
Your state school(s).

You think I have a shot at ivy caliber schools with the low gpa? I know it should be higher, but freshman year knocked me back. Should I try retaking the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
You think I have a shot at ivy caliber schools with the low gpa? I know it should be higher, but freshman year knocked me back. Should I try retaking the MCAT?
Please tell me that you are just begging for compliments and don't actually mean this!

Please tell me that you are just begging for compliments and don't actually mean this!
I actually did mean it but apparently I shouldn't have.

Reactions: 1 user
You're in "looks okay" territory for top tier schools statwise, but the rest of your app is stellar (especially the research) so go ahead and apply - just make sure your list is balanced.