MD & DO What are my chances? School List help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemtee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a high school chemistry looking to apply to medical school next cycle. My state of residence is Texas, however with my below average GPA, I would love advice on whether I should apply OOS.

Residency: Texas Resident, ORM

Stats:
  • Undergrad - 3.56 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA
  • 4.00 graduate GPA
  • 32 MCAT (12 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)

Research/Publications:
  • ~1000 hours research in a cardiovascular research lab studying potential molecular therapeutics for atherosclerosis.
    • Resulted in 2 publications (2nd Author and 4th Author) and 2 abstracts
  • ~250 hours of clinical research studying the effects of medical homes for medically complex children
    • Involved surveying family members and patients
  • ~200 hours of research in an organic chemistry laboratory studying potential drugs for the bubonic plague.
Extracurriculars:

Shadowing
:
  • 80 hours of shadowing a variety of different specialties

Clinical:

• ~150 hours volunteering at a hospital at the information desk as well as helping the biomedical department with the medical equipment
Non-Clinical:
  • Teach for America
    • Helped to found a new Title I charter school in an underserved area.
  • ~80 hours after school science teacher
    • Taught science lessons after school while in college
  • Teaching assistant for the General Chemistry Labs
  • Peer Mentor for the General Biology Labs
  • ~80 hours volunteering at Habitat for Humanity

Other:
  • Charity Bike Ride
    • Currently raising money to partake in a charity bike ride along the New England Coast in order to raise awareness for affordable housing
I am looking to definitely apply to all schools in TX, as well as UNT and other DO schools. I have talked to my advisor and these are the schools that he recommends:

MD
All TX schools
Creighton
Chicago Medical Rosalind Franklin
Albany Medical College
Vermont Medical
Tulane
St. Louis University
New York Medical College

DO
Nova Southeastern
LECOM
UNT
KCUMB-MO
AT Still-MO
Burrell

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The only point in applying OOS is to DO schools. Perhaps in some situations the OOS MD school at the place you did UG at is a worthwhile app. If you lived in another state for an extensive period of time applying to that state's MD program as well might make sense.

But other than that, there's no point focusing on the OOS MD programs; if you cant get into one of the Texas MD programs the odds of getting into an OOS MD program are very very small.

Having said that you are a solid candidate for the MD programs in your state. A well written timely app and you should be able to generate interest.

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel like you want to do a "harder" specialty, then by all means go MD. (eg. derm, ortho, rad, etc...) as more MDs are looked at than DOs. But if you dont want that life, then choose the school which you best click. You have great stats that will get you looked at by any of those schools, now you just have to nail the interviews.