MD What are my chances? (School List)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jf_huds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I’m completing my school list and was hoping for some outside opinions. I am a non-trad, non-URM, 27 yrs old. GA resident.

Applying to state schools, lower-mid MD schools, and 6-8 DO schools. Plan on applying first day that application is able to be submitted, because I have heard that is helpful.

I went to undergrad right out of high school, and it was a disaster. I was immature, lost, and did not do very well. I left after 2 years with a 2.7 cGPA. Yikes. I took two years off and worked, traveled, and most importantly, I grew up. I came back to school in 2013 completely focused and grateful for my opportunity to get an education. I’ve tried not to let that horrible time in my life hold me back, and I’ve made all A’s since coming back to school. I know my past grades will keep me out of some schools, but some were from 6-8 years ago, so I'm hoping some schools will have forgiveness.

STATS
Will graduate next spring, Georgia State Univ., Psychology major
cGPA= 3.41 (very strong upward trend --> first two years of school were not good. I took time off, maintained 4.0+ for the past three years)
BCMP= 3.89 (A’s in every pre-req, one C in statistics from 7 years ago) I also have a lot of science classes, originally I was thinking nursing and took those Chemistry/ Bio sequences, then had to take the pre-med sequences, plus I have multiple upper level bio
MCAT= 507 (127, 127, 125, 128) Not great, not absolutely horrible, I guess
200 hours clinical volunteering at a hospital
300 hours nonclinical volunteering at an organization that helps with underserved Hispanic families in the community
50 hours physician shadowing (a few different specialties)
I am also starting as a research assistant this summer at an organization that provides mental health services to African American women who have been abused or have been suicidal; they also study prevention and intervention techniques.
Biology tutor at my school’s biology tutoring center for the past 2 years
Grading assistant- I’ve been an exam grader for Anatomy and Physiology at my school for the past 2 ½ years
Test Question Developer- I was hired by a professor at my school to develop the short answer portion of the exams this past semester
Awards:
Undergraduate Peer Mentor Award at my school (Spring 2016)
Student of the Semester (Biology) Spring 2015
Volunteer of the Month (Grady Hospital)- December 2015

I also did a Wilderness Survival program for 9 months in my time off from school, just something interesting I’ve done.
I’ve been on the President’s List every semester in the past three years.

I’ve been working really hard on my personal statement and I know that my letters of recommendation are very strong. I know some of my stats aren’t stellar, but I have tried to prove myself.

Rough Draft of School List

Morehouse
Mercer
Medical College of Georgia
University of South Alabama
Florida State University
University of Illinois
Rosalind Franklin University
Southern Illinois University
University of Louisville
University of Mississippi
University of North Dakota
University of New Mexico
University at Buffalo- SUNY
Northeast Ohio Medical University
The Commonwealth Medical College
Howard University
Meharry Medical College
Georgetown
Jefferson
Tulane
Creighton
Univ. of South Carolina
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
NY Medical College
Univ. of Missouri
Univ. of Tenn. Health Science
Oklahoma State
Southern Illinois
Ohio Univ.
Quinnipiac

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Filter your list for schools that accept few OOS applicants (e.g. ND, NM).
Delete mission based schools, unless you fit the mission (HBCU's, SIU).
Then consider deleting the schools with >12k applications, unless you have some connection (e.g. GT).
Delete schools from which their OOS matriculants are all from special programs (UMKC)