What are my chances? should i apply with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex231

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of my fellow Premeds,

I'm new to this website and don't know everything about it. I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity and ask for a piece of wisdom from you guys. I am premed at USC majoring in biomedical engineering. Before transferring to USC, i took most of my lower division classes at a community college. I am going to list my stats below and wanted your opinion about my chances of getting admitted to an allopathic medical school. I am a bit hesitant about applying this cycle but my inner feelings tell me that i should give it a shot and see what happens.

Undergrad: USC
Year: Junior
Major: biomedical engineering
AMCAS Science GPA: 3.65
AMCAS overal GPA: 3.49
MCAT first try: ( 7 V, 9 p, 7 B); going to retake the new version on late august
Extracurricular activities:
160 hrs volunteering at a hospital over 4 years
20 hrs volunteering at a church
40 hrs of shadowing a radiologist
20 hrs of shadowing an internal medicine Dr
One semester of clinical research at a children's hospital
Hobbies: Ping pong, soccer not professionally though

see, even though i have a 3.65 science GPA, i took most of my science classes like physics, gen chem, and math classes at a community college. But i did take ochem 2 and biochemistry at USC and got A- and B on each respectively.

Again, i really appreciate it if you guys could give a feedback on my situation and whether i should apply this cycle or wait another year and then apply.

Thank you,
Alex231

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are not a candidate for application to medical school at this time due to the fact that none of the components of a strong application have been met (with the exception of science gpa). By the time a new MCAT score is available you will be too late in the cycle for a reasonable chance at interviews. Are your posted gpa's AMCAS or your school's?

Have you gone to your pre-health advisors for an interim evaluation?

Concur. For starters, that MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, and on life support for DO schools. You'd be autorejected from mine.

You are not a candidate for application to medical school at this time due to the fact that none of the components of a strong application have been met (with the exception of science gpa). Have you gone to your pre-health advisors for an interim evaluation?

Members don't see this ad :)
put everything you have into an MCAT retake and plan on applying NEXT year. forget about this year

You are not a candidate for application to medical school at this time due to the fact that none of the components of a strong application have been met (with the exception of science gpa). By the time a new MCAT score is available you will be too late in the cycle for a reasonable chance at interviews. Are your posted gpa's AMCAS or your school's?

Have you gone to your pre-health advisors for an interim evaluation?
the science gpa was calculated using aamc's excel spread sheet. My overall usc gpa is 3.2 as of now

the science gpa was calculated using aamc's excel spread sheet. My overall usc gpa is 3.2 as of now
Im just wondering, how is there such a huge discrepancy between your AMCAS GPA and your college GPA. I know the DO GPA can jump due to grade replacement but for your AMCAS gpa to jump from 3.2--> 3.49 is a lot. What is not being included? some B-,C+?

Reactions: 1 user
Im just wondering, how is there such a huge discrepancy between your AMCAS GPA and your college GPA. I know the DO GPA can jump due to grade replacement but for your AMCAS gpa to jump from 3.2--> 3.49 is a lot. What is not being included? some B-,C+?
I can upload my excel spread sheet here and you can see it yourself; indeed i would appreciate it if you look at it and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls
    151.5 KB · Views: 66
I can upload my excel spread sheet here and you can see it yourself; indeed i would appreciate it if you look at it and tell me what you think.
i looked at it and yeah the classes you put in add up to 3.49 but how is your USC cGPA 3.2? what is dragging your USC gpa down that is not included in the AMCAS gpa? do you have Ap credit or something? idk maybe im missing something---EDIT: i just noticed you have a lot of 5 unit classes. is that correct?

Last edited:
i looked at it and yeah the classes you put in add up to 3.49 but how is your USC cGPA 3.2? what is dragging your USC gpa down that is not included in the AMCAS gpa? do you have Ap credit or something? idk maybe im missing something
well here is the thing, the first two years listed there are the courses i took at community college and the last two are the courses that i have and am taking at usc.

well here is the thing, the first two years listed there are the courses i took at community college and the last two are the courses that i have and am taking at usc.
ah yes thats it then...i knew i read that up there somewhere i knew i was missing something. your classes look difficult and ACING them this year will look very good. you should buckle down and try to get very good grades your last year. You have to show that your great grades from CC are because you are dedicated because as it is right now you have a slight downward trend. But youre still in good shape. just knock these classes out and retake the MCAT. The MCAT retake is necessary as im sure you have noticed from the previous posts. just remember you want an upward trend and if you can get up to a 27-29 you have a decent shot at DO schools. you probably dont want to hear that but unless you can score 32+ (well 510+ idk what that means yet) and have an upward trend it would be hard to get an accetance to MD schools.

retake mcat. youre gpa is solid so i believe that you can do better than a 23...