What are my chances?/ Should I re-take the MCAT? (Lower Bio subscore)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landofthesick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I took the new 2015 MCAT in September, and obtained a total of 514 (around a 33 on the old MCAT, or 91% percentile). My scores seem unbalanced with 128 CP, 126 BIO, 130 CARS, 130 PSY (As to percentiles, this is 87% CP, 67% BIO, 97% CARS, 97% PSY). My dream schools are either BU or Tufts, but I will be applying to many places. I'm nervous because my Bio subscore is much lower than my other scores. BU has a 35 old MCAT average, with a bio subscore of a little bit larger than 11. Tufts has a 33 old MCAT average, with a bio subscore of a little bit larger than 11 also. My bio subscore is about a 9.5.
I know I should have studied more for the exam (I barely studied organic chemistry) but my score is overall alright. I'm just a little bit lower than the average for BU, which makes me nervous.

I have a few questions, if you all can help:

1.Do you know if with the new MCAT schools will be focusing just as intensely on subscores?
2.Will schools screen me out because of this low Bio subscore?
3.Is it worth it to try to re-take my MCAT this year before applying in June? (I feel like I didn't spend too much time studying organic chemistry for the exam, and maybe if I tried more intensely I could do much better. But at the same time, I'm trying to focus on maybe getting more experience in Spain that could boost my application, which I maybe couldn't do if I was studying for the MCAT again).
A lot of websites I've been looking at say that the payoff for re-taking the exam to increase your score just a little bit may not be worth it, and I am also a little bit leery because of the chance that I could do worse on this re-take. But, I do not want to be screened out of any schools for my low science subscore. Any advice would be wonderful, thanks everyone for the help!
More info about my application:
cGPA = 3.94
sGPA = 3.96
-Double major in Neuroscience and Spanish
-I am currently on the Fulbright scholarship teaching high school in Spain
-in Phi Beta Kappa
-have over 600 hours and counting working as a personal medical assistant for a dermatologist
-worked in research at the beginning of college
-worked in Hall Council for a year in college
-had 3 jobs in the past working as a tutor for children and refugees in both the US and Spain (my goal is to become a pediatrician)
-I am also going to volunteer this year at an Alzheimer's center in Madrid

Dream schools:
BU
Tufts
Warren Alpert (Brown)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

1.Do you know if with the new MCAT schools will be focusing just as intensely on subscores?

2.Will schools screen me out because of this low Bio subscore?

3.Is it worth it to try to re-take my MCAT this year before applying in June?

Varies by individual evaluator to the first question and an easy no to the last 2 questions. You're fine for a hoard of schools; now just get MSAR and come up with a good school list.