What are my chances? (stats inside!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... been lurking on the forum for a while and just decided to sign up.

I just wanted to get an honest opinion from ppl about my chances applying to American dental schools.

First things first; I'm a Canadian citizen, from a Canadian highschool and university (honours biology). Have taken the Canadian DAT 2 times (this year being the most recent; both scores have been reported to AADSAS). I consider myself to be fairly well rounded, with decent academics and have participated in a variety of activities and hobbies. I do consider myself to be above average in terms of manual dexterity, visual arts and perceptual ability (have won a bunch of art awards from my highschool). I've shadowed 3 general dentists (ongoing) and an oral maxillofacial surgeon. I've also volunteered at a doctor's office for a number of years (if that means anything!). As for work experience, I run and own a small car detailing business (for about 3 years). I'm in my fourth year, and working on my honous thesis. I also should have a paper of mine (co-author) published in an endocrinology journal sometime this year.

I have applied to the following schools:

· University of Connecticut (CONN)
· Boston University School of Medicine (BU)
· Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HVD)
· Tufts University (TUF)
· University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)
· Columbia University (CUL)
· State University of New York at Buffalo (BUF)
· State University of New York Stony Brook (SUSB)
· Case School of Dental Medicine (CWR)
· Temple University (TEMP)

My stats:

2007 CANADIAN DAT (most recent)
Reading – 24
Biology – 19
Chemistry – 16
Science Average – 18
Academic Average – 20
PAT – 24
Carving – 26

2006 CANADIAN DAT
Reading – 17
Biology – 19
Chemistry – 17
Science Average – 18
Academic Average – 18
PAT – 21
Carving – 20

Overall GPA – 3.2+ (3rd and 4th year GPAs are higher)

The truth is, I had a bit of a slow start to university in 1st and the beginning of 2nd year (partly due to some family issues, but I don't want to blame that for my performance). The only thing that really concerns me is my grades in general chemistry (D+ in part 1 and a C in part 2). Obviously I know that does not reflect my true ability; since then, I have received only A's, B+'s and B's in all biology and chemistry courses. However, I am a bit surprised that I scored low in general chemistry on the DAT, and even more surprised I got one point lower this year than last year! I don't know what it is. I studied even more this year, and I've done just fine in higher level chemistry courses. How badly will this affect my chances? Being a biology major, I didn't expect to score only a 19 in biology. This is another area where I feel I can do better, and I believe my biology grades in university reflect this.

Also, as you can see, I'm pretty good at the practical applications of dentistry; perceptual ability (PAT), manual dexterity (carving) and communication/understanding (reading). How important are these categories? Also, do American schools even look at or consider the carving score from the Canadian DAT?

Sorry for the long read, but if you guys have any comments or questions, please post them up!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well according to my calculations...50.526125430%

minus 25% for being canadian

well according to my calculations...50.526125430%

minus 25% for being canadian

serious? I calculated that its only a -23.986% disadvantage for being canadian
rotfl.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
bump for serious opinions :)

your scores are amazing. I would die to have your DAT scores. how did you improve on your reading comprehension by 7units? THATS awesome. you have a good shot at canadian schools. I wish I had your scores. your gpa is there but its probably more competitive for US schools since Canadian schools would need around 3.6-3.7ish...you said your upper years are better, so maybe it comes up to that? which uni are you at? I am also canadian had few US school interviews, still waiting to hear from them. Got my DAT scores, i am satisfied but not with PAT or RC, which are your strengths. Maybe you can tell me how the heck you went up so much???!!

overall, have you heard from US schools? when did you apply? Any interviews?
letme know. You have a gooooooood shot, dont worry!

your scores are amazing. I would die to have your DAT scores. how did you improve on your reading comprehension by 7units? THATS awesome. you have a good shot at canadian schools. I wish I had your scores. your gpa is there but its probably more competitive for US schools since Canadian schools would need around 3.6-3.7ish...you said your upper years are better, so maybe it comes up to that? which uni are you at? I am also canadian had few US school interviews, still waiting to hear from them. Got my DAT scores, i am satisfied but not with PAT or RC, which are your strengths. Maybe you can tell me how the heck you went up so much???!!

overall, have you heard from US schools? when did you apply? Any interviews?
letme know. You have a gooooooood shot, dont worry!

Thanks man, like I said, its teh chem score that bothers me, not the othe ones!

Im at York, 4th year... you?

As for improving reading comp, I found it was more effective to spend a bit of extra time reading the passage carefully and slower... answering the questions was much easier. Last year, I tried to skim the passage quicker, highlight strange words and numbers, then look at the questions and refer to the passage. This time, I tried to understand the passage as best I could, and then went on to the questions. Still, this worked for me, it may be different for you!

For the PAT and carving; those are two areas which just come natural to me. People have asked me how I can do certain things like that, and all I can say is "i dunno" haha. It seems like its something thats innate to a person, so I don't know if I can realy give you any useful tips. I really do think that my years growing up with lego helped alot though!

I sent in my application mid November (late, I know), however I have not heard anything yet :(

btw, when did you apply, and which schools did you get interviewed at? If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? (u can PM me if you want)...

Your stats look really good, but I think the late application might hurt you, but then again, you never know. I'm not sure if NYU's deadline has already passed, but you might want to consider applying there. I know that they accept a lot of Canadian students.
Oh and I used to live right next to York University!! (I'm in GA now)

btw, when did you apply, and which schools did you get interviewed at? If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? (u can PM me if you want)...
i PMed u

Your stats look really good, but I think the late application might hurt you, but then again, you never know. I'm not sure if NYU's deadline has already passed, but you might want to consider applying there. I know that they accept a lot of Canadian students.
Oh and I used to live right next to York University!! (I'm in GA now)

NYU deadline didn't pass yet, however, I don't have a full credit in english... The schools I applied to accept either our Canadian OAC english, or accept my other social science writing courses

by the way, what i'm most worried about is my performance in eneral chemistry on the DAT and in 1st year...

From my understanding, it is a bit harder for Canadian applicants to US schools. But your DAT scores are outstanding, and even though your GPA is average to slightly below average, by showing marked improvement over your 4 years definitely helps.

To say that you "will" or "won't" is impossible, but at least your numbers look good. Just write a great essay and get some good recs. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments

any thoughts on my chemisty situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did well in your chemistry classes, you will be fine. My chemistry DAT was lower than my chemistry GPA and during my interviews I never got one question about it. Not everyone can score high on EVERYTHING on the DAT. And your scores are pretty amazing... so no worries.

Oh, also I've been told that the reading is the most important score (from an interviewer b/c you read mostly your first and second years in dental school) and that carving/PAT are more important that science DAT scores... so good job!

If you did well in your chemistry classes, you will be fine. My chemistry DAT was lower than my chemistry GPA and during my interviews I never got one question about it. Not everyone can score high on EVERYTHING on the DAT. And your scores are pretty amazing... so no worries.
well, thats the problem... I have a D+ and C in the 2 parts of 1st year G. chem, and my DAT chem is only a 16... so it looks like i'm a chemistry idiot haha :scared:

Did you get any interview so far?

anyone withe similar stats get an interview or get accepted?

I've been accepted to Nova with a similar GPA, and my DAT scores are 21/21/21 (check out my Predents).

I don't know whether schools really consider carving; however, one of my interviews did comment on my carving score.

The only thing that comes to mind is the marks in general chem. Unless you took another course to counter the D, then I wouldn't see a problem with your app. But during interviews, they'll probably ask you about the D. Also, it might be tough to get in if you applied late... maybe waitlist at NYU. If nothing works out this year, I would reapply in May as applying early might offset whatever deficiencies you might have in your application. Maybe retake the DAT... I'm surprised you did not apply to Canadian schools because some of them only take your best two years.

thanks for the comments guys...

I actually did apply to canadain schools as well, hopefull I get in! Some of their requirements are stupidly high though...

Do you think I chould re-take that chem course where I got a D+?

You said you received an A or B in subsequent chemistry courses - if that's the case, then I doubt retaking the lower level chemistry course will help.

GL with the Canadian schools, I didn't even bother applying, as much as I would love to stay in Ontario, especially at my alma mater.