What Are My Chances? Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derikulus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CO. Resident

B.S. in Biological Sciences
B.A. in German Language, Literature, and Culture
cGPA: 3.839
sGPA: 3.751

M.S. in Biomedical Sciences (Graduation Term Summer 2015)
cGPA (predicted): 4.0
sGPA (predicted): 4.0

MCAT: 32 (PS11/ VR9/ BS12)

1000+ hours research experience on taste receptor cell physiology with first name authorship on two poster publications.
100+ hours clinical experience: approx. 50 hours in emergency medicine with ambulance ride-alongs and ED volunteering, approx. another 50 hours shadowing physicians.
150+ volunteer hours with various school organizations and programs or with a local rescue mission
Played as a goaltender for my school's club inline hockey team for 3 years
Studied abroad in Germany for 3 months
Of course other extracurriculars, but the above are the most pertinent

I'm just preparing for the upcoming application cycle at the moment, and wanted to get some suggestions on schools (both MD and DO) which would be a good fit for me based merely on how I look on paper.

Thanks SDN Community!

Members don't see this ad.

Chance pretty good if you apply broadly and strategically. MSAR Online is your friend. Target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Avoid those schools whose avg MCAT scores are ~3 points higher than yours, except for your state school! Consider a few DO schools as well. Start with RVU and TUNCOM, being the closest to home.

CO. Resident

B.S. in Biological Sciences
B.A. in German Language, Literature, and Culture
cGPA: 3.839
sGPA: 3.751

M.S. in Biomedical Sciences (Graduation Term Summer 2015)
cGPA (predicted): 4.0
sGPA (predicted): 4.0

MCAT: 32 (PS11/ VR9/ BS12)

1000+ hours research experience on taste receptor cell physiology with first name authorship on two poster publications.
100+ hours clinical experience: approx. 50 hours in emergency medicine with ambulance ride-alongs and ED volunteering, approx. another 50 hours shadowing physicians.
150+ volunteer hours with various school organizations and programs or with a local rescue mission
Played as a goaltender for my school's club inline hockey team for 3 years
Studied abroad in Germany for 3 months
Of course other extracurriculars, but the above are the most pertinent

I'm just preparing for the upcoming application cycle at the moment, and wanted to get some suggestions on schools (both MD and DO) which would be a good fit for me based merely on how I look on paper.

Thanks SDN Community!

Chance pretty good if you apply broadly and strategically. MSAR Online is your friend. Target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Avoid those schools whose avg MCAT scores are ~3 points higher than yours, except for your state school! Consider a few DO schools as well. Start with RVU and TUNCOM, being the closest to home.

Thanks for the advice and information Goro. I'm glad I can find some help while I'm starting out this whole process. For schools whose average MCAT scores are 3 points above my own, would it be worth it to apply at all, say as reach schools?

Also, you said to apply broadly and strategically. What do you mean by strategically? What factors do you consider to be the most important when decided which schools to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some factors that I used to create my list of schools (Please buy the MSAR because it will save u a lot of money in the long run):
a) MCAT and GPA
b) OOS rate of acceptance
c) School's mission
d) Tuition

Once you have the list, you can even post it on SDN to get some more feedback. Good luck, you will definitely have a successful cycle with that stats, also apply EARLY to increase your chance as well.

If those schools have very wide distributions for MCAT scores (10th-90th %iles) then go for it. Tight distributions: pass. They don't need your money.

Thanks for the advice and information Goro. I'm glad I can find some help while I'm starting out this whole process. For schools whose average MCAT scores are 3 points above my own, would it be worth it to apply at all, say as reach schools?

Also, you said to apply broadly and strategically. What do you mean by strategically? What factors do you consider to be the most important when decided which schools to apply to?

Here are some factors that I used to create my list of schools (Please buy the MSAR because it will save u a lot of money in the long run):
a) MCAT and GPA
b) OOS rate of acceptance
c) School's mission
d) Tuition

Once you have the list, you can even post it on SDN to get some more feedback. Good luck, you will definitely have a successful cycle with that stats, also apply EARLY to increase your chance as well.

Thank you for the suggestion on what factors to consider when selecting schools. I'll surely invest in the MSAR. Any idea on when the 2015-2016 MSAR is available?

If those schools have very wide distributions for MCAT scores (10th-90th %iles) then go for it. Tight distributions: pass. They don't need your money.

Thanks Goro. I'll take the distribution into consideration when selecting schools.

Apply to MCW and come to the land of Beer and Cheese! Also Germanfest in the summer is awesome! Prost!

Apply to MCW and come to the land of Beer and Cheese! Also Germanfest in the summer is awesome! Prost!

Haha quite tempting... I do enjoy both of those things. And Germanfest sounds awesome by virtue of its name. Zum Wohl!

Haha quite tempting... I do enjoy both of those things. And Germanfest sounds awesome by virtue of its name. Zum Wohl!

Yea its pretty awesome, along with everything else in Milwaukee, which is seriously the most underrated city I've ever lived in! Also, as far as your stats and hours and such, my brother got into MCW this cycle with very similar #'s and hours (minus the BA in German and travel abroad, of course, which is cool!) from OOS so it really would be a good fit, just make sure to apply early! Viel Glück!

Yea its pretty awesome, along with everything else in Milwaukee, which is seriously the most underrated city I've ever lived in! Also, as far as your stats and hours and such, my brother got into MCW this cycle with very similar #'s and hours (minus the BA in German and travel abroad, of course, which is cool!) from OOS so it really would be a good fit, just make sure to apply early! Viel Glück!

Fantastic! That makes me happy to hear that it's possible for someone like myself to get into a good medical school. Danke schön for the information and the advice! It's very much appreciated.

No problem! If you have any more specific questions about MCW, especially as you get closer to applying, just let me know