What are my chances to get into medical school with a 25?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_student_19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 25 on the MCAT, 3.78 GPA. Extracurriculars include: two summer programs, three years of research, 10 conferences, 2 published abstracts, over 400 hours of shadowing, volunteer experiences, founded two student organizations and other extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad.

Slim. Chances are better for DO.

For MD schools, you prob need to retake that MCAT unless you are URM. Go and apply DO and do it now, you have better chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD "25%" chance (;)) Shoot for DO. OP, study hard and retake the MCAT.

Last edited:
You can potentially have a stellar app if you forgo applying this cycle and retaking the mcat. Study differently than last time. Identify what went wrong last time and tackle those issues.

Reactions: 2 users
Concur. Even for DO schools, you're best off aiming for the newest schools. A 25 will be lethal at KCUMB, the Touros (except TUNCOM), CCOM and AZCOM.

For MD schools, you prob need to retake that MCAT unless you are URM. Go and apply DO and do it now, you have better chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I am also an URM, I was born in Mexico and I am now nationalized American. I have identified schools that have low MCAT score averages. I am also considering Puerto Rico. What would you all recommend between DO and Puerto Rico?

dude, there is a huge gap between you gpa and mcat. i would recommend :
1. talk to your school premed office - see what advice they have to give you.
2. what were your individual scores ? english ? science ? take classes in that area and retake the mcat to improve your score.
3. talk to the dudes that were in a similar position as you last year, and see what they did. (assuming you know any)
4. what prep course did you take ? consider another one.

Last edited:
10 conferences? What did you do there? Just attend? That doesn't mean much.
Your MCAT is going to hold you back for everything, including many DO spots.

I got PS. 7 VR. 8 BS. 10. As for the conferences I presented in all of them, with posters. I am afraid that if I take it again it might go down and that would look worse. I took princeton review.

princeton review is nt that great... the quality of their courses depends on the instructors, and a lot of times they aren't that good...

20-25 MCATs is the reason LUCOM exist.