What are my chances URM :s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567890

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, first post. So what are my chances lol- I basically want to know if I should apply this year or just go post bacc first.

Ok cgpa = 3.1
sgpa = 2.9
mcat = 26 (which I'm super going to retake in approx. 3 months)

BUT

200 hours working clinical in a Urology clinic
150 hours working in a pathology clinic and lab in a hospital
2 years vp of TRIO club
1 year treasurer of Native American Student Union
1 year historian of American Indians in the Sciences and Engineering
JUST got hired in an autism research lab
150+ hours of SPCA volunteer work
50 hours of internship at the UC Native American Recruitment and Retention center
certified medical assistant
one year on UC women's rowing team
UC pow wow organizer
UC Native American Culture Day planning committee
played cello for 5+ years
won 2 different biology scholarships (uh I don't even know if this matters just throwing it out there)
lots of paid child care experience as well as waitressing

-also my major is Microbiology with a minor in Native American Studies

and URM

So, y'all can be honest - and yes my numbers suck but mayyyybe my experience can help me pull through? Anywho let me have it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As much as I wish I could tell you there is a good chance, I'm afraid you have not established a pattern of success that would make you a likely candidate with those stats. If you do get interviews, please tell us where, so that we can help others in your condition.

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a significant improvement!

To add, I still have a whole year and a half left at my UC to improve my grades- but thanks for your honesty! ^^

Members don't see this ad :)
But if you plan on applying next cycle you only have a semester to improve your grades. But that's a good idea. Don t apply in June. Wait until you graduate and do some grade repair. Take a gap year or two and develop the best possible application possible. Are you looking at DO or MD or both? Oh and gyngyn is an ADCOM/faculty member someplace in Cali. Gyngyn is very wise so listen carefully. What group do you represent as a URM?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

To add, I still have a whole year and a half left at my UC to improve my grades- but thanks for your honesty! ^^
As just noted by @candbgirl, we will only see one semester of your new (much better) grades when we are deciding on interview invitations, unless you apply in a year and a half.

Take the necessary time to improve all your metrics in a way that allows us to see dramatic improvement.

Reactions: 1 users
You could probably squeak into one of the newer DO schools, but these days you need around a 3.3 sGPA as a URM to be realistically in the game.

But if you plan on applying next cycle you only have a semester to improve your grades. But that's a good idea. Don t apply in June. Wait until you graduate and do some grade repair. Take a gap year or two and develop the best possible application possible. Are you looking at DO or MD or both? Oh and gyngyn is an ADCOM/faculty member someplace in Cali. Gyngyn is very wise so listen carefully. What group do you represent as a URM?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Ok got it grade repair so smp status. I'm chumash native American and very involved in the culture in California as well as my tribal BIA number. I was leaning towards MD

Like I know my scores suck, but I guess my question is should I apply next year to med school or smp?

If your mcat doesn't get much closer to 30's, MD probably isn't happening. If it goes great, you can smp to try and mitigate your gpa. MD doesn't do grade replacement but they look at smp grades. The catch is the smp is a hail mary toss. If you bomb the smp you are usually over with...

If you go DO, the mcat just needs to make mid 20's for some schools and you ignore the smp option. DO does grade replacement so you retake your worst grades and your gpa dramatically improves. I wouldn't aplly until your gpa and sgpa are >3.2 because some schools have cutoffs

*side note: I did some work with the three affiliated tribes in ND and I'm rooting for you

I rather not impose my opinions b/c honesty it doesn't matter. I would suggest seeking advice from your pre-med advisor and adcom from med schools you are interested in.. But before doing all that, sit down and assess your strengths and weaknesses objectively. Figure out what you need to improve, how and then go from there. Don't give up! Best wishes :)

I would see if you can get a cGPA of 3.2 and a sGPA of 3.0. That should probably be enough for DO. If not, a 28 MCAT would really seal the deal.

Well thanks for all the positive feedback, I was kinda waiting to get torn to shreds haha. I guess I'll just apply smp and retake my Mcat for now thanks for your advice guys.

If your mcat doesn't get much closer to 30's, MD probably isn't happening. If it goes great, you can smp to try and mitigate your gpa. MD doesn't do grade replacement but they look at smp grades. The catch is the smp is a hail mary toss. If you bomb the smp you are usually over with...

If you go DO, the mcat just needs to make mid 20's for some schools and you ignore the smp option. DO does grade replacement so you retake your worst grades and your gpa dramatically improves. I wouldn't aplly until your gpa and sgpa are >3.2 because some schools have cutoffs
So you say if you bomb smp then you're done with, but how difficult would you say smp are academic wise?

So you say if you bomb smp then you're done with, but how difficult would you say smp are academic wise?

a number of the adcoms that post here have described smp programs as a chance to try and mitigate gpa by proving you can handle "med school level" classes. That can be awesome if you can, but if you bomb the smp, you just proved you can't handle med school level classes.

I've never taken an smp. But, I got though all the undergrad prereqs with barely studying and a 3.7 in them......got to med school and without a curve would have failed a class. Med school is infinitely more difficult to me than undergrad