What are my chances/Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imnola89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be applying MD/PhD program this coming cycle and I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

I applied late last cycle (secondaries submitted end of September) for MD programs only and got waitlisted at a couple of places. I realized that I wanted to apply to MSTP instead. Pursuing my master’s degree made me realize how much I liked doing research.

I was wondering about my chances for MD/PhD program and where I should apply. Here are my stats.

- 34 MCAT (11PS/11VR/12BS)
- MS in neuroscience with master’s thesis. 3.97 GPA
- BS in neuroscience with honors thesis, BA in philosophy. 3.90 sGPA/3.86 cGPA
- Honors: graduated with honors in neuroscience, summa cum laude. Received the neuroscience faculty award from my university.
- 4 years of research in two physiology laboratories (during the school year and during 2 summers (through fellowships))
- 1 pub (first author in low impact journal), 2 more manuscripts to be submitted next year (both first author).
- Poster presentations at various national and regional conferences
- 300 hrs of clinical experience (worked as an orderly)
- 40-50 hrs of shadowing
- 200 hrs non-clinical volunteer
- TA for 2 neurosciences classes
- Interned at an NGO in Argentina for 6 months (support group for cancer patients)
- Interned at a major hospital for 6 months, helped a research nurse
-Fluency in French (native) and Spanish (advanced)

While I know that my MCAT score is rather low for top-tier programs, do you think I stand a chance? Also, I am still debating about what to do next year. Right now, I could become a lab tech where I currently do research and continue working on my projects. Is there anything else I could do to improve my chances?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.