DO What are my chances with a 3.40 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is some relevant information

Academics

Major: Biochemistry
Resident: California
cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.16
nsGPA: 3.72

Extra-Curriculars

Hospital Volunteer: 400 Hours
Disabled Care Volunteer: 200 Hours
Medical Brigade: Two Weeks
Volunteered at Orphanage abroad: One Month
Shadowed three Allopathic and two Osteopathic Physicians
Student Government: Two Years
Violinist and Musician
Team Soccer Player
Psychology Club Member

MCAT

This beast has yet to be tamed, and I was scheduled to take it in two weeks, but I don't feel like I'm ready with my scores being a 125, 124, 126, 122 on the AAMC FL (497) and almost a 60% on EK tests. I am thinking about taking it in January instead, and applying next cycle...but I am not sure what a good MCAT score is for DO ONLY. Again, I only am planning on applying to Osteopathic schools. It would be nice to stay in my home state, but I am willing to go ANYWHERE in the US....ANYWHERE

URM Status

I'm not sure if Fijian/Pacific Islander is considered URM or not.

1. How high of an MCAT score do I need to be competitive?
2. How do my stats look in terms of GPA and extra-curriculars?
3. Is there any other way I can improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are okay with going to anywhere in the US, then I'd personally write the MCAT and apply this year to DO, quickly and broadly. The DO cycle is longer and if you can complete your file before the end of Oct, you should get into at least one DO school as long as your MCAT is decent (i.e. 505+)

If you are okay with going to anywhere in the US, then I'd personally write the MCAT and apply this year to DO, quickly and broadly. The DO cycle is longer and if you can complete your file before the end of Oct, you should get into at least one DO school as long as your MCAT is decent (i.e. 505+)

I personally wanted to wait until next cycle, because I want to retake some classes to boost up my GPA, because I have a chance of getting that sGPA from a 3.16 to a 3.31 after repeating three classes. What do you think about that? Would that help me a lot more?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sGPA is kinda hurt but if you score well on the MCAT, you should be fine. I suggest spend more time and review it and apply next cycle. While studying for MCAT, maybe retake some science courses to use grade replacement and boost that GPA up.
Don't rush, med school does not go anywhere. Give the cycle your best applications rather than risk being a reapplicant

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Work on increasing your GPA in the coming year and take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistently above 505. Applying next year is your best option since you have not taken the MCAT yet.

I personally wanted to wait until next cycle, because I want to retake some classes to boost up my GPA, because I have a chance of getting that sGPA from a 3.16 to a 3.31 after repeating three classes. What do you think about that? Would that help me a lot more?

You should be okay for DO schools, not great but you might get an interview or two. I recommend retaking the MCAT over retaking other classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should be okay for DO schools, not great but you might get an interview or two. I recommend retaking the MCAT over retaking other classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have not taken the MCAT yet because I am not getting practice scores that I want. I am going to take it in January and aim for a 508+, and if I retake three classes...I can get my sGPA to a 3.31 and my cGPA to a 3.49. Would that help a lot?

I have not taken the MCAT yet because I am not getting practice scores that I want. I am going to take it in January and aim for a 508+, and if I retake three classes...I can get my sGPA to a 3.31 and my cGPA to a 3.49. Would that help a lot?

Absolutely!! Going from a 3.1-->3.3 will get you some interviews that you otherwise would not have gotten. I know for a fact that the more established schools look for 3.25 or higher as a pseudo cutoff. If you do that and score a 508 like you plan you can apply to any DO school outside of the state schools with reasonable chances.