MD & DO What are my chances with a cgpa 3.2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at a good liberal arts college and my major is Chemistry. I am an Asian female and a Virginia resident and was hoping for any type of truthful feedback if possible! I only have 1 semester left of college. I am planning on applying this upcoming June after I take my MCATs. I really appreciate all of your input! Any advice would be great!

cgpa: 3.2
sgpa: ~3.2
MCAT: planning on taking it in May or June 2015
Upward grade trend

EC's:
Leadership position in my sorority
Co-author (4th or 5th position) for 2 accepted abstracts for SABCS and SSO
>200 hours with hospital research (2 consecutive summers)
2 semesters in a Chemistry lab
1 semester continuing with hospital research
>60 hours with shadowing
>50 hours for volunteering in a free clinic

Race: Asian
State of Residence: Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For MD schools, not good at all. OK at best for DO schools. Start with VCOM and Va Tech

I am a senior at a good liberal arts college and my major is Chemistry. I am an Asian female and a Virginia resident and was hoping for any type of truthful feedback if possible! I only have 1 semester left of college. I am planning on applying this upcoming June after I take my MCATs. I really appreciate all of your input! Any advice would be great!

cgpa: 3.2
sgpa: ~3.2
MCAT: planning on taking it in May or June 2015
Upward grade trend

EC's:
Leadership position in my sorority
Co-author (4th or 5th position) for 2 accepted abstracts for SABCS and SSO
>200 hours with hospital research (2 consecutive summers)
2 semesters in a Chemistry lab
1 semester continuing with hospital research
>60 hours with shadowing
>50 hours for volunteering in a free clinic

Special Circumstance: Both my parents passed away and I have gotten this far on my own.
Race: Asian
State of Residence: Virginia

I would say a lot depends on your MCAT. I had a similarly low GPA but a high MCAT and ended up with a rocky MD season but no trouble at any DO schools. Buckle down, study hard for the MCAT -- try to take it on the May date -- and that will probably be the deciding factor. If you have space in your last semester and are thinking about going DO, perhaps re-take one or two of your poor science classes (any Cs you might have) if you feel that you can ace them.

Also, I would recommend you try to get some more volunteering hours in the mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say a lot depends on your MCAT. I had a similarly low GPA but a high MCAT and ended up with a rocky MD season but no trouble at any DO schools. Buckle down, study hard for the MCAT -- try to take it on the May date -- and that will probably be the deciding factor. If you have space in your last semester and are thinking about going DO, perhaps re-take one or two of your poor science classes (any Cs you might have) if you feel that you can ace them.

Also, I would recommend you try to get some more volunteering hours in the mix.

Thank you so much for all of your input. I got a C- in one of my classes that I took freshman year, which is why I am signed up to retake that same class this upcoming semester which should really help raise my gpa. If I start studying for the MCAT in the next few days, do you think I will be prepared to take the new MCAT in May?

Take the mcat, then come back and make this thread.

You'd be surprised, your score could change the whole game. Ranging from good chance at lower end md schools to horrible chance at most DO schools.

Thank you so much for all of your input. I got a C- in one of my classes that I took freshman year, which is why I am signed up to retake that same class this upcoming semester which should really help raise my gpa. If I start studying for the MCAT in the next few days, do you think I will be prepared to take the new MCAT in May?
Yes, that retake should definitely help with your AACOMAS sGPA.

As long as you have a solid study plan for the next few months (don't get complacent!) you'll be fine. I honestly don't know much about the new format, but my feeling is that anything over three months is more than sufficient to study for the MCAT if you're diligent. It's a bit tougher since you're taking classes and then assumably graduating around the same time, but certainly doable.

Yes, that retake should definitely help with your AACOMAS sGPA.

As long as you have a solid study plan for the next few months (don't get complacent!) you'll be fine. I honestly don't know much about the new format, but my feeling is that anything over three months is more than sufficient to study for the MCAT if you're diligent. It's a bit tougher since you're taking classes and then assumably graduating around the same time, but certainly doable.

Actually, with this new MCAT everyone should be studying a lot more. There is no cookie cutter way to study for this new MCAT. I've heard that even months of studying ay not prepare you. Biochemistry is a monster on this test and nobody felt very good about the psychology section. Of course, everyone studies differently and everyone has different backgrounds in different courses. I recommend if you are a full time student, though, studying for about ten hours a week six months in advance.

Get a DO LOR and ACE the MCAT. Take the test when youre 100% confident. SGoodluck!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Honestly, nobody can give you your chances without an MCAT score. As is, you have a low GPA which needs to be supplemented with a decent (ideally, better than average) MCAT score. So aim high and come back to us once you have a concrete score. Best of luck.