DO What are my chances with current situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeoSkyy33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would appreciate some insight. I am currently about to graduate from Loyola University Chicago with around a 2.8 GPA in Philosophy. While attending Loyola, i started the Pre- Student Osteopathic Medicine Association (SOMA) organization on campus, and I am also a coordinator with Pre-SOMA nationally. I have haven't really taken any science classes yet or the MCAT. After graduating, i am planning on moving back to my home in California, and taking required science courses as a extended student, which means i can take the courses, but i am technically not an admitted student, while studying for the MCAT. My question is, if i do well in those science courses and bring my total GPA up, would it be okay to take those science classes as an extended student and apply to medical school? Or would it be better to apply to a masters program?

I am a 22 year old white male, with 150 volunteering hours, and 50 hours shadowing, but only with MD.

My dream schools with include Midwestern in Chicago, or a school in the east coast such as NYIT/ Rowan

Thank you in advance,

George

Members don't see this ad.

Get your GPA above 3.0 as much as you can, study for and take your MCAT, and then come back here and let us know how it went so we can further assess your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are right. Your best bet is to take the science classes and then study for the MCAT. Do not start studying for the exam before you have completed the required classes. When you have finished your pre-reqs, take the exam, and then you will apply for an SMP (Special Master's Program) somewhere, preferably a school with a binding medical program admission agreement. Most schools have an agreement where if you maintain a 3.XX GPA, you are admitted to that institution's medical program -- and may even get to skip a class or two that you had completed during your Master's coursework. These programs you will want to research broadly during your semester or two of pre-reqs. This will help you get your GPA up, show schools you can master high-level science coursework and are dedicated to becoming a physician. You should obviously be staying clinically active during this time, maybe you can scribe, volunteer, shadow etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it's pretty grim. A 2.8 without any science classess taken? I would automatically remove CCOM and Rowan from your list. Those schools are the more competative DO schools. You'll need to take a few science classes and see how you do. The MCAT is completely bigger beast that you don't even need to worry about for awhile. You have a very long road.

Edit: Your ECs are weak too. You need to work those as well.

Definitely not a masters program. If you have not taken the science courses required, you would not be able to do them in a masters program - where you would be taking 500 and 600 level science classes.

Your best bet is a community college or a cheap state school. Bust out some solid grades in all of the pre-reqs. Then when you are done that (years from now), study for the MCAT and get a killer score. You are still really young, you have loads of time to do this and to keep working on the resume to build up your application.

Fastest route to being a DO is to retake all F/D/C science courses.

it doesn't matter where you do them.

As of right now, your GPA is lethal to a medical career.

Hello all,

I would appreciate some insight. I am currently about to graduate from Loyola University Chicago with around a 2.8 GPA in Philosophy. While attending Loyola, i started the Pre- Student Osteopathic Medicine Association (SOMA) organization on campus, and I am also a coordinator with Pre-SOMA nationally. I have haven't really taken any science classes yet or the MCAT. After graduating, i am planning on moving back to my home in California, and taking required science courses as a extended student, which means i can take the courses, but i am technically not an admitted student, while studying for the MCAT. My question is, if i do well in those science courses and bring my total GPA up, would it be okay to take those science classes as an extended student and apply to medical school? Or would it be better to apply to a masters program?

I am a 22 year old white male, with 150 volunteering hours, and 50 hours shadowing, but only with MD.

My dream schools with include Midwestern in Chicago, or a school in the east coast such as NYIT/ Rowan

Thank you in advance,

George

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your advice. As I said, i haven't really taken any science courses as I am finishing my degree in Philosophy. I will be taking my science courses next semester at CSU Stanislaus, and my goal is take about 40 total science credits within a year and a half, and do well on them which will bring up my CGPA to hopefully well over a 3.0. While taking my science courses, i will be studying for the MCAT and taking a princeton review course. My goal is to be accepted by 2017. But until then i just have to do everything in my power to bring up my chances.

Your cGPA will not get you into CCOM or Rowan.

CCOM has 3.59 average cGPA while Rowan has 3.63 cGPA.
http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/admissions/faq.html
https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine.html
Just a head up, you'll need to take psychology with your pre-reqs before you take the MCAT. Try to score in the 510+ range.

Yeah, in the case of CCOM, i would definitely also be applying to their masters program. As far as Rowan, i would much prefer NYIT or Touro NY, but i'm not sure how much they favor in state students. Right now i'm just going to just focus on finishing my science courses and bringing up my GPA. I atleast have hope that i can establish myself with a high SGPA since i haven't really taken any science courses yet.
Your cGPA will not get you into CCOM or Rowan.

haven't really taken any science classes yet or the MCAT.

Hi George,

I'm confused do you mean you have taken zero science classes as in basic biology, basic chemistry, physics, etc? because if this is the case you should not be signing up for the MCAT any time soon. Despite the naysayers, it is possible, just realize you genuinely do have a long road ahead of you. Getting in is has been the hardest step so far

Hello all,

Thank you in advance,

George

For what its worth...I was where you were (w/ a 2.8 cgpa and 3.0 sgpa) a few years ago. I took 7 of 8 pre reqs, re-took a few classes, and within 2 years jumped my gpa to a 3.3x. I too had very few science classes and ended up with a 3.6x sgpa. I studied hard for the mcat and did well; low 30s. I'm starting school in august.

If you work hard your current position isn't lethal to your dreams. If you dont work hard, well...then you're not going to med school.

Reactions: 1 user
For what its worth...I was where you were (w/ a 2.8 cgpa and 3.0 sgpa) a few years ago. I took 7 of 8 pre reqs, re-took a few classes, and within 2 years jumped my gpa to a 3.3x. I too had very few science classes and ended up with a 3.6x sgpa. I studied hard for the mcat and did well; low 30s. I'm starting school in august.

If you work hard your current position isn't lethal to your dreams. If you dont work hard, well...then you're not going to med school.
This is a perfect representation of reality. Its totally possible, but you really need to commit to not rushing things. Take the years that you need to take the required courses, retake any classes, get some solid clinical experience, and give the yourself the time that the MCAT deserves. If you go at this with the mindset of delayed gratification then you will be good to go. If you try and rush through and apply before your app is ready, you will likely strike out.

You need to get a 4.0 in your science courses and do well on the mcat.

If your overall gpa is above a 3.0, you won't get autorejected and med schools will consider you.

If you have a 3.0 overall, 4.0s gpa, above 30 mcat, you will be fine for DO.

But you really need to buckle down and change your study habits in order to realistically achieve this.

You can be in medical school in a matter of 2-3 years if you play your cards right but you absolutely must change your study habits.

you have to do the opposite of what you did at loyola for 4 years.

i apologize for the harsh advice, it's not intended to offend you, i'm just offering advice to help you succeed

I agree with this except the 4.0 thing... Obviously a 4.0 in your science classes will dramatically help your cause, but I would not go so far as to say you "need" a 4.0 in order to get into DO schools.

Lol for all practical purposes, if the guy thinks he needs a 4.0 and he gets a 3.6, that's fine

But this guy needs to go in with the mindset to get a 4.0