what are my chances with getting in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaa2031

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances with getting in dental schools?

I try to apply only 3 schools at this coming June.
My priority school is Georgia Regent university
other two schools are
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Pennsylvania

Major: biological science
GPA: 4.01/ 4.3 with plus system
3.93/4.0 without plus system
science GPA : 4.0o

DAT : AA 21
PA 20
QR 22
RC 19
B 20
OC 22
GC 23
TS 21

Dental shadow: I only work at private dentist
orthodontist : 100 hours+
general dentist : 100hour

but my main reason want to become a dentist was inspiring from my orthodontist

I know I have a really good GPA and decent dat score ( maybe too low to apply UNC and UP?)

but I am worry about my volunteer and shadowing hour.

I am still working twice a week in my dentist office to increase my shadowing hours.

But I am also working as general restaurant manager to help my parent restaurant.

should I apply more schools based on my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Literally no chance. Choose another career. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
jaa2031... Others are going to think you are "trolling" with this post. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. Either way, you generally have nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, I would still apply to more than 3 schools... Even 5 would be better. Crap happens.

Also, do you have any volunteering hours?

What are my chances with getting in dental schools?

I try to apply only 3 schools at this coming June.
My priority school is Georgia Regent university
other two schools are
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Pennsylvania

Major: biological science
GPA: 4.01/ 4.3 with plus system
3.93/4.0 without plus system
science GPA : 4.0o

DAT : AA 21
PA 20
QR 22
RC 19
B 20
OC 22
GC 23
TS 21

Dental shadow: I only work at private dentist
orthodontist : 100 hours+
general dentist : 100hour

but my main reason want to become a dentist was inspiring from my orthodontist

I know I have a really good GPA and decent dat score ( maybe too low to apply UNC and UP?)

but I am worry about my volunteer and shadowing hour.

I am still working twice a week in my dentist office to increase my shadowing hours.

But I am also working as general restaurant manager to help my parent restaurant.

should I apply more schools based on my stats?

GPA too low. Need 3.95+.

Reactions: 2 users
Your DAT scores are decent but what is going to hold you back is that GPA! I suggest maybe a masters to boost that to a solid 4.0.

Best of luck. You're got a long expensive road ahead of you

Reactions: 4 users
jaa2031... Others are going to think you are "trolling" with this post. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. Either way, you generally have nothing to worry about.HOWEVER, I would still apply to more than 3 schools... Even 5 would be better. Crap happens.
Or book smart, but cannot find the way out of a paper bag.

jaa2031... Others are going to think you are "trolling" with this post. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. Either way, you generally have nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, I would still apply to more than 3 schools... Even 5 would be better. Crap happens.

I agree with this. Add a couple more schools. I think you should be able to get into GRU, but add maybe two more schools

Please apply to more schools. If you look at last year's GRU thread, a lot of people with similar stats as you got rejected...

Assuming you're not trolling...

If GRU is your top choice I highly recommend calling the school and seeing if you can set up a meeting to see where you stand in terms of admission. I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you know what needs improvement and what is good where it is. I know for a fact that they suggest you have 200+ shadowing hours to be competitive so keep that in mind. Good luck :thumbup:

1) Keep retaking classes until you get that gpa up to a 5.0...do whatever it takes. Even if it means taking some filler classes at your local CC.

2) Retake the DAT to get shoot for a 30 in every section. This is a must if you want to have any chance whatsoever at being admitted. Can't stress how important this is.

3) Get a better grasp of the English language.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Keep retaking classes until you get that gpa up to a 5.0...do whatever it takes. Even if it means taking some filler classes at your local CC.

2) Retake the DAT to get shoot for a 30 in every section. This is a must if you want to have any chance whatsoever at being admitted. Can't stress how important this is.

Ironic you say this... reread the first sentence of step number 2. :p

Reactions: 3 users

I'm not sure a 30 in every section would do it. If I was him I'd shoot for nothing less than a 31.

This reminds me of those emails you get about a rich Nigerian prince who needs you to send him a blank check so he can deposit a billion dollars in your account.

i am Rich prInce in Niagra send me muney plz. i have lots of dollerz,

I am so sorry to people who feel I wrote this post for trolling .But, I didn't wirte this post to brag nor troll. The way I wrote this post really look like I am bragging and trolling. I apologize about my writing . it shows wrong intentions to make people upset. I just have a concern after I have heard that one of students who apply GRU with dat 21 score got rejected after interview. So I was worry that would happened to me and write the post to get some more advices. Because I already waste a year time because I lost chance to apply into GRU last year. So I am really desperate to get into dental school this year. I am really concern about I am not having much experience in dentistry field because I only worked there for less than 6 months and other girl who works in my dental office works more than 2 years and works as dental assistance. Because I did full time work and study, I didnt have a much chance to do other activities like other people did. so I was really concern about my situation and posting this. But Thank you for all the good advices I would definitely apply more than 5 schools

Reactions: 1 users
I am so sorry to people who feel I wrote this post for trolling .But, I didn't wirte this post to brag nor troll. The way I wrote this post really look like I am bragging and trolling. I apologize about my writing . it shows wrong intentions to make people upset. I just have a concern after I have heard that one of students who apply GRU with dat 21 score got rejected after interview. So I was worry that would happened to me and write the post to get some more advices. Because I already waste a year time because I lost chance to apply into GRU last year. So I am really desperate to get into dental school this year. I am really concern about I am not having much experience in dentistry field because I only worked there for less than 6 months and other girl who works in my dental office works more than 2 years and works as dental assistance. Because I did full time work and study, I didnt have a much chance to do other activities like other people did. so I was really concern about my situation and posting this. But Thank you for all the good advices I would definitely apply more than 5 schools

It's all good! I think you just genuinely don't know how awesome your application is. I know it's hard not to compare yourself to your peers, but both your DAT scores and GPAs are awesome. They are DEFINITELY not too low to apply to UNC or UPenn. You could feasibly apply to any school in the nation with your numerical stats. Your AA/TS may be just a *little* bit lower than the average for Harvard, Columbia, or UCLA; however, these are averages--so that means that people with your AA/TS definitely get in every year! Also, your GPA is incredible. When you compare yourself to your friends, I bet very few (if any!) of them have stats like you.

My only concern is with volunteering hours. With regards to dental shadowing and work experience, you are in a great position. However, do you have any volunteer hours? I can tell you have a lot of work hours going on, so it doesn't have to be much.

I'm glad you've decided to apply to a few more schools. Just for safety, especially if you don't have any volunteering hours, I would apply to 7-10 schools.

Also, your English is completely comprehensible, but I can tell it isn't your first language. :) I would suggest sending your PS to one of the readers on this website to have them take a look at it. There are many people willing to help, and you don't want there to be any errors!

It's all good! I think you just genuinely don't know how awesome your application is. I know it's hard not to compare yourself to your peers, but both your DAT scores and GPAs are awesome. They are DEFINITELY not too low to apply to UNC or UPenn. You could feasibly apply to any school in the nation with your numerical stats. Your AA/TS may be just a *little* bit lower than the average for Harvard, Columbia, or UCLA; however, these are averages--so that means that people with your AA/TS definitely get in every year! Also, your GPA is incredible. When you compare yourself to your friends, I bet very few (if any!) of them have stats like you.

My only concern is with volunteering hours. With regards to dental shadowing and work experience, you are in a great position. However, do you have any volunteer hours? I can tell you have a lot of work hours going on, so it doesn't have to be much.

I'm glad you've decided to apply to a few more schools. Just for safety, especially if you don't have any volunteering hours, I would apply to 7-10 schools.

Also, your English is completely comprehensible, but I can tell it isn't your first language. :) I would suggest sending your PS to one of the readers on this website to have them take a look at it. There are many people willing to help, and you don't want there to be any errors!

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it