What are my chances with low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamstphopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've taken my MCAT for the first time this past November and have gotten a 28 (10PS, 8V, 10BS).
Considering that I want to pursue and MD/PhD pathway, this is an extremely low score which frightens me. If I were to retake it, I will have to take the new 2015 version which I don't want to do.

Here are my stats:

GPA: science GPA: 3.96, non-science GPA: 3.94, cumulative: 3.95
Volunteer hours: 100+ hours, both at a hospital and local community
Shadowing: 60+ hours
At my school I've TA'd and tutored in various sciences for a couple years as well.
Research: I go to a small school which doesn't have much funding for research, but I have been working on a project with a professor for almost 2 years now. I also have 2 years of good research at a top research university with publishing pending.

I hope to enter an md/phd program next year (2016) but I am hesitant to apply with such a low MCAT score. I am NOT looking to go to top tier schools (Harvard, Vanderbilt, etc.) although those schools would be nice. I am primarily applying to mid-range to lower tier schools.

What is your guys' advice? Should I spend time off to study for the new MCAT (there's a possibility that I can even do worse) or go ahead and apply?
I don't want too quick of a decision and regret it later.

Members don't see this ad.

Study hard and retake the MCAT, new or whatever. With a 28 you have very little chance at MD, let alone MD/PhD.

Reactions: 2 users
I second Ariodant's suggestion. Study and retake. Hope is not lost.

Verbal was my weakest section, too. I am an engineer, so I could less about the rubbish they make you read. But I found Exam Cracker's to be quite useful. Just practice until you can do that section asleep, drunk, or both.

Just remember that the PhD will not save you.