What are my chances with my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yukio_Snow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on what I should do with my current situation if I would like to enroll into a Pre-vet programme in, maybe Murdoch University in 2014 or 2015.

I am currently studying in Hong Kong, Year 10 and taking Phy, Chem, Bio and Geography as electives. I cannot get any experience ( neither voluntary nor veterinary) of working with animals due to a lot of age and working restrictions from the government. I cannot gain any of those experience not until I reach 16 (15 currently).

I heard that it is necessary for those experience and does that mean I don't have a chance? Is there anything I could do to increase my chances? Or do I have to wait till I get those?

Thanks a lot in helping :)

Members don't see this ad.

Many of us didn't decide we wanted to go to veterinary school until much later in our educations. I know I didn't decide until my second year of undergrad so I only had a 2 years go gain experience. Do your best finishing up high school and start gaining experience when you have the opportunity to. You still have plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know how schooling works in Hong Kong, but you are still young... relax. You have plenty of time to decide what you want to do and where you want to go. Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting experience before even attempting to apply to any type of veterinary program. Make absolutely sure that this is what you want to do, because hearing about vet med and actually being involved in vet med and working in vet med are very, very different. So get experience and make absolutely sure that this is what you want to do before you dive into it head first.

Reactions: 1 user