What are my chances with my undergrad education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grod1018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my freshmen year of college, doing my pre-med in Puerto Rico. I was wondering what are my chances of ever being accepted to a state medical school. I'm really shooting for medical schools in the Texas area like Baylor and UT Southwestern. But so far what I've seen is that they have a preference for residents, which is to be expected. I did live in Texas for some time, for five years. Could I still be considered a Texas resident even if I lived there many years ago? I know it's a rather ridiculous question, but I honestly don't know the answer to it. Since like I've mentioned before, I haven't lived in the states for more than a decade.

I think it's never too early to be wondering about my application process, even though I still haven't taken the MCAT or haven't even applied to any medical schools yet. I simply want to be aware of my chances with anticipation so I could reconsider other options.

Any suggestions or information whatsoever will be deeply appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in my freshmen year of college, doing my pre-med in Puerto Rico. I was wondering what are my chances of ever being accepted to a state medical school. I'm really shooting for medical schools in the Texas area like Baylor and UT Southwestern. But so far what I've seen is that they have a preference for residents, which is to be expected. I did live in Texas for some time, for five years. Could I still be considered a Texas resident even if I lived there many years ago? I know it's a rather ridiculous question, but I honestly don't know the answer to it. Since like I've mentioned before, I haven't lived in the states for more than a decade.

I think it's never too early to be wondering about my application process, even though I still haven't taken the MCAT or haven't even applied to any medical schools yet. I simply want to be aware of my chances with anticipation so I could reconsider other options.

Any suggestions or information whatsoever will be deeply appreciated.
You are not a texas resident, but you could claim to have ties to texas. Probably won't help much, but it's better than nothing.