What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcaicedo91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a URM Texas resident and will have a MD cgpa 3.1 sgpa 3.0 and D.O cpa 3.3 sgpa 3.2. Im a Biology major and have a minor in Health. Im planning on submitting my applications at the end of june or early july for verification (still waiting for my LOR to be sent to TMDSAS, AMCAS and AACOMAS). My MCAT test date is july 26th, it will be my first time taking it but I am expecting to do well. I have around 120 hours of shadowing a anesthesiologist, neurosurgeon and a general surgeon. Im weak on the volunteering hours, only have around 80 from back in 2008.:(
I worked full time throughout college which made it really difficult to volunteer. I also don't have a non science LOR just 2 science and one physician so im not sure on which schools will automatically not consider me. I dont have a DO LOR either. I started to volunteer at a new hospital last week but im not sure if it will be a good idea to wait to submit my application until I have more volunteering hours. Here is my list of schools I am planning on applying to.

In Texas:
1. UT Southwestern
2. UTMB Galveston
3. UT SOM San Antonio
4. Texas A&M
5. Both Texas Tech
6. UNT Texas college of osteopathic medicine.

OOS:
1. Commonwealth
2. Drexel
3. Florida State University College of Medicine
4. Howard
5. Meharry
6. Morehouse
7. Tulane
8. Uniformed Services
9. University of Arkansas

D.O schools:
1. ACOM
2. ATSU-KCOM
3. ATSU-SOMA
4. AZCOM/ MWU
5. CCOM
6. DMU-COM
7. KCUMB
8. LMU-DCOM
9.MU-COM
10. NSU-COM
11. RVUCOM
12. All three TOURO

Thank you for your time, I would greatly appreciate opinions on schools that I should take off my list due to my gpa, lack of DO LOR, lack of non science LOR and low volunteering hours.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad.

No point in discussing this without an MCAT score, but I'll say you should save your money with MD unless you get a 34+.

Yeah i know i need a high mcat to make up for everything else lol

Members don't see this ad :)
No point in discussing this without an MCAT score, but I'll say you should save your money with MD unless you get a 34+.

I agree, a good way URMs with low stats get interviews is through volunteering, especially within their community, or if they are also disadvantaged.

With ~80 volunteer hours from '08 and such low stats, its a stretch for MD schools to accept you.

Still, even if you get a 27-29 or 30-32, he'll still have 46% and 50% (respectively) of being accepted somewhere if Hispanic and it goes even higher if he's black. So unless you score lower than 27 on the MCAT, it's still worth your time to apply MD, but these applicants probably also had other things going for them (such as how I said earlier, helping others within their community or racial group).

Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Maybe goro can chime in?? :D