What are my chances...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I went to an ivy league school and I have a 2.9 GPA. Previously I attended a community college where I received a 4.0 GPA. I am aiming for a 36 on the MCAT. Provided I get that score, what are my chances of getting into medical school? I don't want to give up.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty low considering the horrendous downward trent. It makes your community college look over-inflated. You'll have to get into the 3.0 range and then an SMP with a 3.7+ for MD. For DO you would still need to do retakes and get to about a 3.3 range. Normally a 3.0/36 is good to go for DO, but with your downward trend, you need to establish at least 1 year of very good grades before they truly consider you.

thanks-maybe I should add that i've already graduated, so my GPA is what it is. Also my final year I did achieve a 3.2 and a 3.6 for my final semesters. Soph and Junion year brought that down. Does that change anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks-maybe I should add that i've already graduated, so my GPA is what it is. Also my final year I did achieve a 3.2 and a 3.6 for my final semesters. Soph and Junion year brought that down. Does that change anything?
No, you'll have to do a post-bac to increase your GPA; it will be added with your uGPA for the final count. It doesn't need to be a formal program. It just needs to be more undergraduate classes.

I am not a minority. I'd like to remain confidential so I'll say I went to either Brown or Cornell.

I am not a minority. I'd like to remain confidential so I'll say I went to either Brown or Cornell.

Yes, I understand your desire to remain confidential.

A white girl from Cornell with a sub 3.0 is a tough road.

Get your GPA above 3.0. Take your classes at a state U. The low GPA + 4.0 at community college will confirm some negative doubts if you know what I mean. Crush the MCAT. Aim for DO with some lower-tier MDs as reach schools. Do your best.

Consider an SMP as well if your MCAT is very high.

I agree that the OP needs to get some solid academic work under her belt before applying, but I'm not sure why the downward trend from a CC to an Ivy would be surprising. I don't know, I'm not on an adcom, but my assessment of the situation is that you were a star stand-out at your CC and then at the Ivy you were surrounded by stars and so didn't stand out as much (i.e. weren't in the top quarter of the class so didn't get As anymore). Close to accurate?

Not sure if you know that any undergrad courses are averaged in with your other undergrad courses, so you can still take classes to bring that GPA up. I would probably not take them at a CC, as you've already demonstrated you can handle CC work; I would try to take them at a 4-year university.

I'd also ask yourself why your GPA was that low at Cornell/Brown. Were you trying as hard as you could but just couldn't keep up with the rest of the folks there? Or was it so different from the CC that you kind of had to learn how to learn at that level, and that takes time? Or were you going through a period of your life where you weren't concentrating so much on academics (it happens...)? Make sure this is addressed before you take more classes as anything less than an A/A- from this point on will hurt you.

SMPs are viable options for people whose GPA doesn't necessarily reflect their ability. If you're a capable student but were just momentarily stunned by the switch to the Ivy and then started to work your way back up (you mentioned you had an upward trend after the drop from your transfer), then this could be a way to show adcoms that you can handle med school.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thank you for your input-

Yes I had to learn how to study. I honestly never really had to master the skill of studying until then and that on top of the challenging material wasn't a great combination. I also allowed myself to be brought down by others and have since learned to focus on my own goals instead of comparing them to those of others. SO i suppose learning how to study + personal development + challenging classes = poor grades.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi! I went to an ivy league school and I have a 2.9 GPA. Previously I attended a community college where I received a 4.0 GPA. I am aiming for a 36 on the MCAT. Provided I get that score, what are my chances of getting into medical school? I don't want to give up.

I would think the downward trend from cc to ivy is common. I had a friend who transferred from a cc to a top LAC and she struggled after transferring (she had a 4.0 at the cc and said she struggled to pull a B average when she transferred, despite working even harder at the new school!). unfortunately OP I don't think adcoms will take this into account. as others have said you should look into post-bacc or an SMP. Good luck!

You have a very uphill battle as of right now. Suggest re-taking all F/D/C sci coursework. And do well on MCAT.