What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulonco21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post here so excuse my faults in posting.

My BCPM is a 3.082 but with several retakes in it (including Orgo 1 and 2 as well as calc 1). I went through a rough year my second year and statistically I have been climbing back up ever since. I have heard that DO schools see the first scores but look at the retake mainly. Is this true? if so this is my final gpa that I will apply with.

My cumulative gpa in all other areas is a 3.88. So as one can see I have the cGPA to get in but not the science gpa. I am taking my MCAT in July and I have been getting 30s on my practice exams from Kaplan.

I have done over 200 hours of shadowing
Interned at the American Cancer Society for over 200 hours
Been a founding father and first president of my fraternity and have help numerous positions there after
Worked 20 hours a week on campus and life guarded for 20 hours during the weekends in the summer
I was a tour guide for my school
Am part of Order of the Omega Honor Society for greeks
Have done over 300 hours of research with 2 presentations

Thoughts? anything would be helpful

Thanks everyone! and please don't hold back!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

This is my first post here so excuse my faults in posting.

My BCPM is a 3.082 but with several retakes in it (including Orgo 1 and 2 as well as calc 1). I went through a rough year my second year and statistically I have been climbing back up ever since. I have heard that DO schools see the first scores but look at the retake mainly. Is this true? if so this is my final gpa that I will apply with.

My cumulative gpa in all other areas is a 3.88. So as one can see I have the cGPA to get in but not the science gpa. I am taking my MCAT in July and I have been getting 30s on my practice exams from Kaplan.

I have done over 200 hours of shadowing
Interned at the American Cancer Society for over 200 hours
Been a founding father and first president of my fraternity and have help numerous positions there after
Worked 20 hours a week on campus and life guarded for 20 hours during the weekends in the summer
I was a tour guide for my school
Am part of Order of the Omega Honor Society for greeks
Have done over 300 hours of research with 2 presentations

Thoughts? anything would be helpful

Thanks everyone! and please don't hold back!
MCAT?

After several practice tests I am consistently getting 30s :/ so im thinking Im going to get a 30

Members don't see this ad :)
After several practice tests I am consistently getting 30s :/ so im thinking Im going to get a 30

With a cGPA of 3.88 and a 30 MCAT, you will be fine despite the low sGPA, IMO. Apply broadly. Add several low tier schools and all of the new schools

You said your cGPA in all other areas, implying that's your non science GPA and not your actual cGPA. What's your actual cGPA? No one cares about the non-science GPA.

DO schools see that you've retaken courses but only factor in the retaken grade in your GPA. So I'm guessing that's your 3.082? If so, you still need to get that sGPA up to at least 3.2 to have a real chance at even the newer schools. Of course exceptions exist. Either way, study balls-out for the MCAT.