What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fargofargo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Stats:

3.47sGPA, 3.52cGPA, 26MCAT (8PS,8VR,10BS), not planning to retake as of now..might retake mcat if no interview/acceptance by october, and use new score to apply next year..?

struggled in my fresh/sopho years, steady upward trend

Info:

Oregon Resident, East Asian, large state school
Trilingual, native fluency in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and English ( grew up in those countries for 5+ years each). US citizen.

Interesting story... I moved to the US when I was 13 years old without even knowing the alphabets. and now 10 years later, I am at native fluency level. It's just weird for me to think I was learning how to spell cat or dog or flag when I was in middle school lol....

Lots of Diversity experiences

Employment:

Math and Science tutor at local community college (current, ~6month
Physical Therapy Aide (1yr)
Englush tutor/mentor for international students at my school (1yr)

EC:

Pharmacy dispensary volunteer at a free clinic (100hrs)
hospital ED and Rehab center volunteer(300hrs)
hospital cardiovascular ICU volunteer (250hrs)
HIV/AIDS public health clinic volunteer (20hrs)
Childrens cancer association Chemo Pal (starting in the next few weeks)
outdoor school counselor in high school (~200 hrs)
undergrad research, no publication (100hrs)
TA for Anatomy and phys (200hrs)
Literacy reading and writing volunteer tutor for adults (starting in the new few weeks)
event volunteer for Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeon of Oregon (~10hrs)

Shadowing:

2DOs, 4MDs, 1 DPM (100hrs)
one of the DO was rural practice, population less than 10,000. I thought this experience was very important for me.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I am planning to apply PNWU and COMP-NW. At this point, because my MCAT is slightly lower than average of DO schools, I'm just afraid that I won't be able to land interviews to prove myself.

Thanks for the replies! I am planning to apply PNWU and COMP-NW. At this point, because my MCAT is slightly lower than average of DO schools, I'm just afraid that I won't be able to land interviews to prove myself.
You should land interviews. At still arizona has an average mcat of 26 and gpa of 3.4 so you're on the money for that one. Apply to a bunch of schools and ASAP and you will be fine.

That's jumping the gun a bit. Chances are good for interviews. Good chances at pnw. You should get an acceptance if you apply widely enough.

sorry to come as being offensive but your reply to ToKingdomCome is kind of ........I know ToKingdomCome is an accepted while you are just a premed. He may experience a cycle already while you have not yet. Just saying!

Hello Everyone!

Stats:

3.47sGPA, 3.52cGPA, 26MCAT (8PS,8VR,10BS), not planning to retake as of now..might retake mcat if no interview/acceptance by october, and use new score to apply next year..?

struggled in my fresh/sopho years, steady upward trend

Info:

Oregon Resident, East Asian, large state school
Trilingual, native fluency in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and English ( grew up in those countries for 5+ years each). US citizen.

Interesting story... I moved to the US when I was 13 years old without even knowing the alphabets. and now 10 years later, I am at native fluency level. It's just weird for me to think I was learning how to spell cat or dog or flag when I was in middle school lol....

Lots of Diversity experiences

Employment:

Math and Science tutor at local community college (current, ~6month
Physical Therapy Aide (1yr)
Englush tutor/mentor for international students at my school (1yr)

EC:

Pharmacy dispensary volunteer at a free clinic (100hrs)
hospital ED and Rehab center volunteer(300hrs)
hospital cardiovascular ICU volunteer (250hrs)
HIV/AIDS public health clinic volunteer (20hrs)
Childrens cancer association Chemo Pal (starting in the next few weeks)
outdoor school counselor in high school (~200 hrs)
undergrad research, no publication (100hrs)
TA for Anatomy and phys (200hrs)
Literacy reading and writing volunteer tutor for adults (starting in the new few weeks)
event volunteer for Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeon of Oregon (~10hrs)

Shadowing:

2DOs, 4MDs, 1 DPM (100hrs)
one of the DO was rural practice, population less than 10,000. I thought this experience was very important for me.

Thanks in advance for your input!
I think you're quite well off - EC's look really superb and GPA is average. MCAT is solid. Acceptances a few schools seems likely if you apply broadly.

sorry to come as being offensive but your reply to ToKingdomCome is kind of ........I know ToKingdomCome is an accepted while you are just a premed. He may experience a cycle already while you have not yet. Just saying!

First of all I have been accepted also. Second of all I have talked to adcoms in person (went to her house) and have had many friends go through the cycle.

I said its jumping the gun to assume many acceptances. How can you claim multiple acceptances with a 26 and you have no idea how this person will interview. Also all I said was that was jumping the gun a bit. I mostly agreed with to kingdom.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an Oregon resident also. I know some people who attend COMP-NW. You're looking good for that school IMO. It looks like you're slightly below the average matriculant's MCAT. However, you have some great varied shadowing and volunteering experience to make up for it.
Like others have said apply broadly. I think you'll get a few interviews with that app.

Thanks everyone for the input! I realize that my MCAT is borderline acceptable given that DO schools are getting more competitive. Do you think I have a shot at KCUMB? I read online that they have international medical relation with Asia, something I am really interested. Although I also would not mind going to COMP or PNWU, being close to home.

I'm an Oregon resident also. I know some people who attend COMP-NW. You're looking good for that school IMO. It looks like you're slightly below the average matriculant's MCAT. However, you have some great varied shadowing and volunteering experience to make up for it.
Like others have said apply broadly. I think you'll get a few interviews with that app.

I was talking with students and teacher of COMP when I volunteered there for an event and the students said they tend to overlook a slight lower MCAT with life experiences or ECs? I definitely applied broadly, 15~20 schools. The tought of me not landing interview at all scares me to apply for even more schools haha..

I mean you volunteered for OPSO so you probably got to know Dr. Pham and Jeannie. If you made a good impression with them, I've heard that helps your app. My friend had around the same MCAT and not anywhere near as much clinical volunteer experience as you. He ended up getting admitted from the wait list eventually. The feedback he received was that he didnt have much clinical experience.. In your case, you have what looks like long volunteer and shadowing experiences. This is good! Those OPSO meetings give great advice for getting into DO schools.

15 to 20 schools is a decent number. I think you've got a good shot for multiple interviews. Might even add a couple more schools.

I think op will have multiple acceptances, assuming she applies to a wide range of schools in terms of mcat/gpa

Op is competitive at all mid tier and low tier schools and should do just fine if he/she interviews well.

I also think you're ec's are great and if everything is as well, I don't think a school like azcom is out of the question .You can definitely garner the attention of 1-2 schools that are above your stat range, it's just the way the whole app cycle works

I mean you volunteered for OPSO so you probably got to know Dr. Pham and Jeannie. If you made a good impression with them, I've heard that helps your app. My friend had around the same MCAT and not anywhere near as much clinical volunteer experience as you. He ended up getting admitted from the wait list eventually. The feedback he received was that he didnt have much clinical experience.. In your case, you have what looks like long volunteer and shadowing experiences. This is good! Those OPSO meetings give great advice for getting into DO schools.

Ya I did get to know Dr. Pham and Jeanie, also David from Portland OPSO office. Their event are really helpful, I am planning attend a mock interview one next week, I heard they go HAM on you so you will be over prepared for the real deal. I also have a friend who got admitted off waitlist with 28 MCAT, so I was thinking if he struggled, then I will also lol. I guess thats where the 'looking into applicant as a whole' comes into play! I'm primary using my EC and life background to differentiate myself out.

Thanks for your input!

I think op will have multiple acceptances, assuming she applies to a wide range of schools in terms of mcat/gpa

Op is competitive at all mid tier and low tier schools and should do just fine if he/she interviews well.

I also think you're ec's are great and if everything is as well, I don't think a school like azcom is out of the question .You can definitely garner the attention of 1-2 schools that are above your stat range, it's just the way the whole app cycle works

I think my reach schools would be Western Pomona and DMU-COM, or even KCUMB. I think one problem that might prevent me from getting attention from top schools is my lack in some upper division bio classes. I majored in Human Phys in undergrad so I lacked courses in Genetics/other concentrated bio courses. I do plan to take these courses in the Fall before I matriculate in 2015, hopefully they will be ok with that!

Thanks for your input!