What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaseyNCHS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be as honest as possible. I know I'm rather competitive for DO school, which I'm perfectly fine with attending but I also want to throw my name in the hat at MD schools as well.

MCAT: 28 (10 BS, 9 PS, 9VR)

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.6

3 Semester of Research at my home university. 1 summer of research at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. No publications.

Great leadership experience

Good LOE from professors

100+ hours of community service

Shadowed an MD for 4 weeks during a summer. Some DO schools require a DO but some are fine with MD.

I'm a GA resident. What are my chances in getting in at some MD school? If any chance at all, where?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other than shadowing, do you have any clinical experience?

You'd have your best shot at Mercer, but a 28 is a bit low for you to have a very solid chance in general. You can apply broadly to lower-range schools.

With a 28, bottom of the pack for the low-tier MD schools. Rush, Albany, Penn state and that ilk. Chances are great for any DO program, provided you have clinical volunteering experience. Without that, you better expect a lot of wait-listing.

Other than shadowing, do you have any clinical experience?

You'd have your best shot at Mercer, but a 28 is a bit low for you to have a very solid chance in general. You can apply broadly to lower-range schools.