MD & DO what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_G_91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! This is my first post so I apologize if it seems too needy.
What are my chances at getting into ANY of the medical schools below for the 2015 cycle with:
GPA(overall): 3.40
Science GPA: 3.40
MCAT: 35 (12B, 13P, 10V) - taken only once
Race: White (and possibly disadvantaged, as per AMCAS's outlines)
1 Full calendar year of independent research as an undergrad (~ 12-15 hrs/week) - LOR from PI (of average quality)
150 hours of shadowing/volunteering at a hospital (with a pretty good LOR from the Chief of Cardiology)
LOR: average to above average (if not better)
TA for 3 courses (Microbiology - upper div, Gen Chem (LOR), Human Anatomy - upper div)
Notes: GPA was brought down by a medical condition - freshman year was a 3.0 overall GPA. Aside from that, all semesters were 3.5 and higher (i.e. Upward trend)
"B" in Biochemistry
Undergrad: SUNY Stony Brook

And the schools:

US (Primary and supplementary all completed before the first week of August):
State University of New York Downstate
New York Medical College
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
New York University
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Temple University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine (supplementary still not received - delay is on their end)
University of California, Davis School of Medicine

International MD (Application not yet completed):
Sackler School of Medicine (Tel Aviv, Israel)
St. George’s University (Grenada)

DO:
NYCOM @ NYIT

*Feel free to suggest international schools for me to consider.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get rid of the international schools.

Honestly, your school list looks fine, even with your GPA. The mediocrity of your application overall is troubling, but you have a decent shot of getting in to several places on your school list. For more safety, add more mid- to low- tier private schools (avoid in-state bias since you're a NY resident) to your MD list. UC Davis is probably not going to happen, same with UCLA and NYU.

Thanks!
I already applied once (2014 - very late in the cycle) and did not get in anywhere. What aspects, aside from GPA, do you find particularly mediocre? It may be possible to improve on them while I wait (or make good interview talk).

NYU, UC Davis, and UCLA were pretty much my reaches.

Add a few more MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Commonwealth (PA), Georgetown, GW, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton, Tulane. Your high MCAT may get you additional interviews. Add a few DO schools such as TouroCOM-NY, LECOM and PCOM and you should receive a DO acceptance. You do not need to apply to international schools with your stats as long as you apply to more DO schools.