What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newhope108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished my primary application and turned in Sept 24: Had them done sooner but really had to think about where to apply due to finances.

Stats:
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Math and Peace and Social Justice
Overall GPA: 3.53
Non BCPM: 3.65
Overall BCPM: 3.37
MCAT: 22/21 :)nailbiting:)

So... I hear a lot of DO schools look not just at scores, but at you as a whole. I have 2+years of research experience at a well known institute. TONS of extracurricular and volunteer work and awards. Excellent Rec letters and DO letter. I am also Hispanic, first generation graduate, and finished my degree while working pretty much full time... and I'm also a single mother. I don't dwell a lot on this fact but I have been told by advisers who reviewed my app. that I do a good job of representing all the things I have had to balance in life with out doing the "woe is me... life is hard" bit. The thing is... my MCAT is obviously lacking. I didn't apply last year bc the 22 and retook it a year later only to score 1 WHOLE POINT LOWER!!!! Yes... I am awesome like that. I am planning on retaking in January before the test changes in the event I do not get in... however my thing is this....

If I get invited for secondaries... I don't have the time or the money to waste on schools that just want to take my money. I have researched the stats and many places average MCAT is a 22/3.33 so with this in mind I feel like I have a shot???

Does Anyone have solid advice as to which schools may be known to be jack a$$'s and want to just take my money... or which ones genuinely look at the whole person and may look past my low scores an see the super amazing person I am (;):xf:)

I Put applications to the following:

TCOM (Submitted much earlier)

A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO

Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AL

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ

Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC

Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn, AL

Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of

Osteopathic Medicine, MO

Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, OK

Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV

University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY

Members don't see this ad.

that mcat retake is not good....whats the breakdown for both scores?

Arizona and Touro prefer higher MCAT scores and Oklahoma State prefers Oklahoma residents. The new schools Marian, William Carey and Liberty would be worth applying to as well as the other 2 Edward Via schools (Carolinas and Virginia).