DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambitiousMED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have great extracurricular activities, 4.0 GPA in Engineering, but a low MCAT score (low twenties). I have been unable to study for the MCAT because of the course load. I haven't submitted my secondaries yet but I am planning on doing it soon. Do I even have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

I think so cuz your 4.0 and granted you have decent to good ec's.

OP what is your breakdown? If you have any sub 6 sections thats probably a red flag. The 4.0 helps, definitely. Also it depends on your school list. If you can provide both your MCAT breakdown and your school list I think it would be much easier for us to make a judgment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Low 20s is lethal for MD, and seriously questionable for DO. You should adopt a new study strategy, identify your weaknesses, and retake.

MD schools no; DO schools, a few.
Good choice making is a quality we look for in applicants. Taking a career-deciding, high stakes exam with little prep is not a good choice.
Good time mgt is also a key to success in medical school.

I have great extracurricular activities, 4.0 GPA in Engineering, but a low MCAT score (low twenties). I have been unable to study for the MCAT because of the course load. I haven't submitted my secondaries yet but I am planning on doing it soon. Do I even have a shot?

If you have a 4.0 GPA in engineering, there should be no reason why you can't score in the 30+ range at minimum.

Like Goro stated, taking the MCAT without studying was a huge mistake and a serious lapse in sound judgement. Had you adequately prepared for the MCAT, you would most likely be sitting here today with a 35+.

Study for the new MCAT, do well on it, and you'll be competitive for any MD or DO school, given solid ECs.

how low is your score? are you verified? you could apply to the some of the low tiers and hope for the best.

OP what is your breakdown? If you have any sub 6 sections thats probably a red flag. The 4.0 helps, definitely. Also it depends on your school list. If you can provide both your MCAT breakdown and your school list I think it would be much easier for us to make a judgment.

I have a 6 in VR. I am trying to apply to PCOM, CCOM, and AZCOM.

Like I said in your other thread, wait until next cycle and apply to 15 or so schools.

how low is your score? are you verified? you could apply to the some of the low tiers and hope for the best.

It's in the low twenties. My primary applications have been processed but I haven't submitted my secondaries yet. What are some low tier schools? (I feel I work way too hard to apply to low tier schools).

Like I said in your other thread, wait until next cycle and apply to 15 or so schools.

Thank you! I think that's what I will end up doing. You don't recommend at all to apply to AZCOM, CCOM, and PCOM this month? It's probably a long shot, but ...

Thank you! I think that's what I will end up doing. You don't recommend at all to apply to AZCOM, CCOM, and PCOM this month? It's probably a long shot, but ...

With a low 20s MCAT, I can't recommend these schools.

PCOM is arguably the best DO school.

AZCOM, according to some, wants 29+ MCAT

CCOM's MCAT average is probably over a 30

With a low 20s MCAT, I can't recommend these schools.

PCOM is arguably the best DO school.

AZCOM, according to some, wants 29+ MCAT

CCOM's MCAT average is probably over a 30

Are there any DO schools that you would recommend for my case? Sorry, I just really want to apply atleast to one school so I know I have tried!

It's in the low twenties. My primary applications have been processed but I haven't submitted my secondaries yet. What are some low tier schools? (I feel I work way too hard to apply to low tier schools).
I would try these schools: WVSOM, LMU, ACOM, KYCOM, SOMA, KCOM, VCOM-Auburn, Campbell, PNWU, COMP-NW, WCU, PCOM-GA.

Like Goro, I do not recommend LUCOM.

Are there any DO schools that you would recommend for my case? Sorry, I just really want to apply atleast to one school so I know I have tried!

Since you already submitted your primary, you might as well send in some secondary applications. Consider the following:

LECOM-B
LECOM-E
DMU
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM

Follow user3's advice. He/she is an expert with DO schools!

I would try these schools: WVSOM, LMU, ACOM, KYCOM, SOMA, KCOM, VCOM-Auburn, Campbell, PNWU, COMP-NW, WCU, PCOM-GA.

Like Goro, I do not recommend LUCOM.

I have submitted my primary to PCOM-GA. I will submit a secondary to that school. Thank you very much for your help!