What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduation year 2016 --> applying this upcoming June
MCAT = 25 --> gona retake the new MCAT in May 2015
cGPA = 3.47
sGPA = 3.3
2014 fall semester GPA only = 3.94 --> trying to bring my cGPA up
Extracurricular:
Research --> one summer as volunteer, one semester as lab researcher --> will continue as lab research for another 3 semesters
Volunteer in hospice home = 30 hours --> will continue 4 hours a week until I graduate
shadowed = 60 hours
E-Board of Bio Club --> I organize pre-med based activities such as study abroad events, MCAT discussions, have local doctors come in and talk about the medical field.
volunteered in a mobil clinic in Ecuador = 70 hours
certified EMT --> I have not worked as an EMT yet

Members don't see this ad.

Graduation year 2016 --> applying this upcoming June
MCAT = 25 --> gona retake the new MCAT in May 2015
cGPA = 3.47
sGPA = 3.3
2014 fall semester GPA only = 3.94 --> trying to bring my cGPA up
Extracurricular:
Research --> one summer as volunteer, one semester as lab researcher --> will continue as lab research for another 3 semesters
Volunteer in hospice home = 30 hours --> will continue 4 hours a week until I graduate
shadowed = 60 hours
E-Board of Bio Club --> I organize pre-med based activities such as study abroad events, MCAT discussions, have local doctors come in and talk about the medical field.
volunteered in a mobil clinic in Ecuador = 70 hours
certified EMT --> I have not worked as an EMT yet
This fall term GPA is an excellent start to improving your GPAs for application purposes. Well done. If you are set on applying after only one more term of good grades, short of a far stronger MCAT score, your chances at MD schools are iffy unless there are some "special snowflake" factors that you haven't mentioned. Less-selective DO med schools will be a reasonable goal, though. Moreso, if you can shadow or somehow acquire a DO LOR, considering the number of osteopathic schools that prefer one.

So aside from my mcat which I am going to retake. I believe if I get straight A's till I apply, summer 2015, my cGPA will be about 3.55 and sGPA will be 3.37. Will those marks be high enough for me to be considered a decent applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
:( I wana do MD not DO.

Not trying to sound rude but with an MCAT score of 25 and a 3.3 science GPA - you should feel lucky to get into a DO school. Average DO matriculant has a 28-29 MCAT these days...

Reactions: 1 user
Beggars can't be choosy.

This is so true. Listen to Goro's advice.

Not trying to sound rude but with an MCAT score of 25 and a 3.3 science GPA - you should feel lucky to get into a DO school. Average DO matriculant has a 28-29 MCAT these days...

One of my coworkers at my lab couldn't even get an II from DO schools in CA with a 31 MCAT, now that's outrageous ;(

DO schools look for people who would be great doctors, but have subpar numbers compared to MD school applicants. They're not interested in applicants who have subpar numbers in general. A 27, or even a 31, is not a guarantee for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
so now that we got all of the negativity out of the way, how can I as an applicant boost my chances without having to take a year off. If I take the year off my cGPA and sGPA will most likely be in the "Average matriculation" range because it will include my grades for senior year.

So aside from my mcat which I am going to retake. I believe if I get straight A's till I apply, summer 2015, my cGPA will be about 3.55 and sGPA will be 3.37. Will those marks be high enough for me to be considered a decent applicant?

It's definitely possible to get in MD with those numbers but you will need a higher mcat and the rest of your app (ECs, letters) needs to be strong as well. apply early and to schools within range (msar is your friend)

Also a cGPA of 3.55 is ok for MD but the BCPM of 3.37 is low for MD. Not impossible, but you will need an otherwise awesome app to overcome that

Random side question: does it matter which Med school you go to? I'm leaning towards surgery/ some sort of research in surgery.