What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LowGPAMDPhD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an MD/PhD hopeful for the upcoming cycle. I graduated in December and by trade, I'm a schoolteacher. I work at a Middle School and teach Life Science.

Numbers
3.67 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, 36 (11/11/14V) MCAT

*Note about the MCAT: Took it three times. Was kind of an idiot in Undergrad. First two scores were in the 20's.

Research/Publications
  • 2011-2012: For approx. two years, I worked as a Research Assistant in a Neurogenomics Lab. Had direct patient contact, ran psych tests like WMS/WAIS II and such. Pretty routine position, learned a lot about IRB protocol.
  • 2012-2013: Become a Teaching Assistant, started doing Education Research. Longitudinal study on a novel teaching method on student performance/success. First presenter at about 4-5 Conferences, received significant funding from University. Published in the Journal of Statistics Education, First author.
  • 2013-2014: Got a grant to do language study for 3 months in Bhutan. Fully funded program through the United States Department of State. My main research thesis concerned the effects of a Government run Fertility Program on birth rates. Presented in International Conference in Thimpu, Bhutan.
  • 2014: Summer Program at Wake Forest, similar to SURIP, conducted significant chemical research, First Author.
Reasons for wanting to do an MD/PhD

Looking at the field of Medicine, I tried to decide where I would feel most fulfilled, and academic medicine was always at the forefront of my thoughts. I wish I'd given more of my time to science research earlier on in my Undergraduate career. But, after I shadowed a ENT Surgeon in my Junior year, and got pretty close with him, he told me a lot about his experience with an MD/PhD program and I became pretty enamored with the idea.

He advised me to take up the NIH-IRTA I was offered. However, I make substantially more money working as a schoolteacher, and am extremely comfortable. Additionally, I want to attend Medical School in a year, I'd rather not wait. I know my chances would be better if I did two years of bench research, maybe took some post-bacc classes, and then applied, but I don't want to lol...In any case, if I don't make it in this cycle, my plan will be to reapply to an NIH-IRTA or some type of other research program, take post-bacc classes, and reapply 2-3 years later.

My Undergraduate degree is in Biology, and I'd like to continue on with a PhD in Cell Biology, or perhaps Cancer Biology, both areas that fascinate me.

My Hesitance

I took the MCAT 3 times. I'm scared an MD/PhD program won't even look at me. My weird research experience, it's definitely not traditional, but I know I can explain it well.

Advice from current MD/PhD students/graduates would be greatly appreciated. Also, my EC's/LOR's are all really good.

Members don't see this ad.

Your application will not be strong. The problems I see (in order of magnitude) are: 3.46 Science GPA; 36 MCAT after 3 tries, with 2 below 30; only one summer of bench research, yet you want to pursue a cell bio PhD. The GPA and MCAT problems weaken your application, but they do not kill it. The lack of bench research kills and buries it. If you are to have any chance at all, you need to commit to spending the next two years to doing research. (You would apply in 2016 for the class of 2017.) Even doing that will not guarantee anything. Approximately 50% of our applicant pool does postgraduate research before applying, and this is after most had three or more years of undergrad bench research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Maebea brings up good points, though I would be less negative about it. Your application is not going to get you an interview at the more competitive places certainly, but I think you have a shot if you are willing to apply widely. I would also agree that you don't have enough experience to really show that you know what you are getting into research wise. One other track you could take is apply to med school and start research at the same time during the year and continue that into the summer between M1-M2. Then apply for MSTP at your school so that you would be accepted into the program and go straight to grad school instead of going on to M3. Of course, this is risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I'm an MD/PhD hopeful for the upcoming cycle. I graduated in December and by trade, I'm a schoolteacher. I work at a Middle School and teach Life Science.

Numbers
3.67 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, 36 (11/11/14V) MCAT

*Note about the MCAT: Took it three times. Was kind of an idiot in Undergrad. First two scores were in the 20's.

Research/Publications
  • 2011-2012: For approx. two years, I worked as a Research Assistant in a Neurogenomics Lab. Had direct patient contact, ran psych tests like WMS/WAIS II and such. Pretty routine position, learned a lot about IRB protocol.
  • 2012-2013: Become a Teaching Assistant, started doing Education Research. Longitudinal study on a novel teaching method on student performance/success. First presenter at about 4-5 Conferences, received significant funding from University. Published in the Journal of Statistics Education, First author.
  • 2013-2014: Got a grant to do language study for 3 months in Bhutan. Fully funded program through the United States Department of State. My main research thesis concerned the effects of a Government run Fertility Program on birth rates. Presented in International Conference in Thimpu, Bhutan.
  • 2014: Summer Program at Wake Forest, similar to SURIP, conducted significant chemical research, First Author.
Reasons for wanting to do an MD/PhD

Looking at the field of Medicine, I tried to decide where I would feel most fulfilled, and academic medicine was always at the forefront of my thoughts. I wish I'd given more of my time to science research earlier on in my Undergraduate career. But, after I shadowed a ENT Surgeon in my Junior year, and got pretty close with him, he told me a lot about his experience with an MD/PhD program and I became pretty enamored with the idea.

He advised me to take up the NIH-IRTA I was offered. However, I make substantially more money working as a schoolteacher, and am extremely comfortable. Additionally, I want to attend Medical School in a year, I'd rather not wait. I know my chances would be better if I did two years of bench research, maybe took some post-bacc classes, and then applied, but I don't want to lol...In any case, if I don't make it in this cycle, my plan will be to reapply to an NIH-IRTA or some type of other research program, take post-bacc classes, and reapply 2-3 years later.

My Undergraduate degree is in Biology, and I'd like to continue on with a PhD in Cell Biology, or perhaps Cancer Biology, both areas that fascinate me.

My Hesitance

I took the MCAT 3 times. I'm scared an MD/PhD program won't even look at me. My weird research experience, it's definitely not traditional, but I know I can explain it well.

Advice from current MD/PhD students/graduates would be greatly appreciated. Also, my EC's/LOR's are all really good.

Maebea and Elixir6 are right. You need to do more relevant research.

I would only add that you still need to be an outstanding medical student in order to pursue academic medicine. The PhD will not save you. So, unless you can convince yourself of that or prove it in the first two years of medical school, then I would refrain from doing the MD-PhD. You can always do research with just an MD.

Also, it would serve you well to really consider what you want in life. You do not need an MD or PhD to be happy. If you are comfortable, right now, I am not sure why you would want to give that all up.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the cycle (10+ interviews, 3 MD/PhD acceptances) and can't offer super experiential advice, but my research interests and experiences going into the application cycle were also a little weird to other people (straight out of undergrad, first author from a summer of research, mostly human subjects work, interested in psychiatry). So I'm genuinely curious in your case, can you explain, based on your research and clinical experiences alone, why cancer bio? Like yeah I think that your GPA is a concern, but if you are not interested at all in prestige or having a chance at schools deemed in the "top" rung of MD/PhD programs, AND if you can weave together all of your research experiences in a cohesive and convincing personal statement, your chances aren't totally shot. But it is super risky. I really think that schools aren't just going to look at your numbers and say no, especially if you apply broadly, but they are looking for MD/PhD candidates that have a somewhat clear, but very experientially-informed, idea of what they want to do. It's not clear from your first post why you are motivated to get a PhD, especially cancer bio--you have to be prepared for people to ask you during interviews, "Why not MD and then postdoc?"

I hope this helps. I really think it's important to emphasize clear, thought-out, reasoning as to why you NEED the PhD to do the kind of research you want to do in your app and from your first post, "a doctor I shadowed convinced me" is not a good enough reason. reflect on this and talk to more people you trust before you go into the cycle!

Why does the 2 years experience in the neurogenomics lab not count as research? I would argue that it does- at least for some programs and interviewers.

Also, some programs do overlook prior MCAT scores. 36 is not too shabby.

i say your chances are OK, as long as you apply broadly.

Why does the 2 years experience in the neurogenomics lab not count as research? I would argue that it does- at least for some programs and interviewers.

Also, some programs do overlook prior MCAT scores. 36 is not too shabby.

i say your chances are OK, as long as you apply broadly.

It really depends. I would not count it as research if it was more administrative things like paper work, organizing databases and follow-up with patients, which is what it sounds like. It would count more as research in my books if he did things like study design, stats, bench-top "wet" stuff, or anything hypothesis driven. That doesn't mean its not a good and meaningful experience, but I think most mudphud programs are looking for the later.