What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingman123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what my friend's chances were with his current stats...

Gpa c : 3.56
GPA s : 3.78
Mcat : 34
Extra curriculars: 6 years of first aid basic responder with the American Red Cross ( since junior year in high school), job as a student assistant in the osu wexner medical center for 4 semesters. 75 hours of physician shadowing ( pediatrician md), research for 1 year in cognitive neuroscience ( no publications),

Major : neuroscience

Applying to :Ohio state university medical school, Cornell, drexel, Vanderbilt, case western, Emory, and nyu, feel free to recommend others

State of residence is Ohio

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I was wondering what my friend's chances were with his current stats...

Gpa c : 3.56
GPA s : 3.78
Mcat : 34
Extra curriculars: 6 years of first aid basic responder with the American Red Cross ( since junior year in high school), job as a student assistant in the osu wexner medical center for 4 semesters. 75 hours of physician shadowing ( pediatrician md), research for 1 year in cognitive neuroscience ( no publications),

Major : neuroscience

Applying to :Ohio state university medical school, Cornell, drexel, Vanderbilt, case western, Emory, and nyu, feel free to recommend others

Thanks!
How about the rest of your state schools?

What do you do in this student assistant position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess i could apply to u of cincinnati and u of toledo for medical school as well. As for my student assistant position I helped the opthalmology branch with filing papers, uploading data on the computer and other administrative stuff

I'm not sure you have enough/any clinical experience. I don't know the entirety of what that Red Cross position is, but people have been told that blood drive work doesn't count as clinical. Your stats look pretty good though.

My red cross position is not blood drive work lol. It is actually a volunteer position. I am a emergency medical responder, my job was to help people by giving basic first aid with the help of emt's. I had LOADS of clinical experience as in patient contact. I had to perform tasks like CPR, helping people with all kinds of cuts (like lacerations and abrasions), burns, and other injuries. I have over 350 hours of volunteering as an EMR.

Ignore everything I said then :D

Yeah I could apply to wright and neomed, I'm already applying to case western as I said above lol. Also what are my chances at these schools???

Fine for all schools in OH; in striking distance for the other schools on the list, but suggest adding more medium tiers, and a few lower ones. Suggest all schools in PA except Penn and Penn State, IU, the two KY schools, all schools in MI except U MI for starters.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Your friend is lucky to be applying in OH. 34.9% of IS applicants get to attend medical school in their home state! Compare this to Maryland at 13.5%.

What about Massachusetts? Where are you getting these stats!

You have a great sGPA and a high MCAT, but the cGPA is .1 lower than the average for accepted applicants. It is debatable whether cGPA or sGPA is more important: there's a published AAMC article that shows sGPA > cGPA, but LizzyM once said here that she thought cGPA was more important. Either way, you seem to be a pretty good applicant.

I would look at Tulane, St. Louis, Einstein, and Boston over schools like Vanderbilt, Cornell, and NYU.

Alright thanks guys, so if he makes all the changes you guys suggested, how good are his chances at an acceptance?

Last edited:
Good advice on this thread, I would remove Cornell though unless its an absolute dream and your friend doesnt mind the money sink. Don't personally think the ecs you've stated are enough or significant for a school like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but the stats are strong but I don't think their ecs match it. No leadership roles or anything other than the three entries listed above? (1 health care, 1 job, and 1 research role).

Just my thoughts. But I guess being an instate app with strong stats gives they get more leeway?

I forgot to mention he apperantly has over 200 hours of non medical volunteering at a science museum called COSI I believe