What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingOTNorth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Psychology Major, taking a gap year to scribe and do research.
GPA: 3.7, sGPG: 3.5 (However my freshman GPA was 3.0 and sGPA was 2.9, after that GPA has been 3.8 and sGPA has been 3.75)
MCAT: 35
Volunteering: 100 hours at a hospital
Shadowing: 150 hours
Research: I did psych research for 6 months and I will have 3 months of clinical research when I apply
And Random XCs

Do I have a decent shot at medical schools as an asian and if so, what range of schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great shot. As was said above, invest in the MSAR and apply broadly to mid tier schools.

What schools do you think I have a shot at? I live in Maryland so I am applying to all nearby (<3 hour drive) between UVA and Howard.

You need to apply to more schools than those in Maryland and VA. Expand outwards to include schools such as Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Penn State, New York Medical College, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Albany, Einstein, Wake Forest.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to apply to more schools than those in Maryland and VA. Expand outwards to include schools such as Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Penn State, New York Medical College, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Albany, Einstein, Wake Forest.
I will be applying to all of these with the exception of Einstein and Wake Forest

What schools do you think I have a shot at? I live in Maryland so I am applying to all nearby (<3 hour drive) between UVA and Howard.
I could be wrong, but I think Howard falls under the HBCU distinction. Apply if you are URM.

And seriously...get the MSAR.

I could be wrong, but I think Howard falls under the HBCU distinction. Apply if you are URM.

And seriously...get the MSAR.
I have MSAR but I'm just curious as to if I have a shot at schools where my GPA is lower than their average.

I have MSAR but I'm just curious as to if I have a shot at schools where my GPA is lower than their average.

you have a "shot" as long as your GPA isn't too low. apply broadly to schools and you can always throw in apps to reach/dream schools if you have the money & time to go through with another secondary

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm really freaking out here.

I got a 28 on my MCAT the first time and a 25 this time (anxiety got me rattled Cuz I was averaging 30-32 on practice tests. Always been a poor standardized test taker). I got a 3.6 gpa, researched for 2 years and a fair amount of extracurriculars and I also go to UofM.

Whatre my chances for DO programs/getting into med scool?

Need to put this anxiety to ease.

So I'm really freaking out here.

I got a 28 on my MCAT the first time and a 25 this time (anxiety got me rattled Cuz I was averaging 30-32 on practice tests. Always been a poor standardized test taker). I got a 3.6 gpa, researched for 2 years and a fair amount of extracurriculars and I also go to UofM.

Whatre my chances for DO programs/getting into med scool?

Need to put this anxiety to ease.
Start your own thread.