What are my chances ?!??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trident14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time I took the MCAT I got VR: 6, PS: 10 and BS: 12 = 28, Thought I should improve my VR score and retook the Exam to and got VR: 6, PS: 9 and BS: 10 a dismal 25. I have a 3.5 Science GPA and I attended the University of Washington. I have 2 years of research experience with multiple abstracts published in the journal Blood. I had shadowed an oncologist at an out patient cancer treatment center for 80+ hours, currently I’m shadowing a high risk ob/gyn attending physician at the University of Washington medical center, which has given me the opportunity to be at the hospital for 8+ hours, stay overnight, and do morning rounds with her and her team of residents. I also get to see the birth of new babies (c-section and vaginal) and how complicated pregnancies are managed. I have reasonable ECs and volunteering hours. Being a Washington state resident I feel like my best chances are UW, but the school I really want go to is Meharry in Nashville TN. Do you guys think I have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your overall GPA?
Why do you think your verbal was low?

That MCAT IS fatal mate, no MD will take you, and very likely no DO. Best option is to commit as long as you need to MCAT prep until you've maxed out your score on practice tests (need a 34+). Once you've done so, retake. While doing so, do a post-bac to bring your GPA up. After doing all of that (as long as you need-1-2 years), reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
good to go for DO. ^^^ guy is nuts.

Reactions: 7 users
Retake was rough.... A 25 is still fine formost DO schools. Md is likely at all

No need to take more classes your GPA is fine. You will need to retake that MCAT. Not only is your verbal really low but you got s lower score the second time. Both big red flags at both md and do schools. I wouldn't apply to any schools until you retake the MCAT.

What's your overall GPA?
Why do you think your verbal was low?
well my low verbal score has a lot do with the fact that English is acually my 3rd language, did not start reading in English til the 8th grade when I came to this country. My overall GPA is 3.6

well my low verbal score has a lot do with the fact that English is acually my 3rd language, did not start reading in English til the 8th grade when I came to this country. My overall GPA is 3.6

I suspected that from your discordant verbal score compared to your other scores and GPA. You run the risk of being screened out on the initial pass with your MCAT. You could try applying with your score, if that score had a good, reflective life story attached to it. UW highly favors in-state/in-region. You might have a chance, but that score is going to hold you back. How do you think the verbal could improve?

I would be interested in what more experience people thought about discordant verbal scores with non-native English speakers. @LizzyM, @Goro
e.g., Does being Egyptian Classify you as URM? (but don't look at the beginning of that thread. not relevant.)

Last edited:
OP has fair chances at a good number of Do schools. Just rule out the NY and CA Touros, PCOM, KCUMB, Western, CCOM and AZCOM.

That MCAT IS fatal mate, no MD will take you, and very likely no DO. Best option is to commit as long as you need to MCAT prep until you've maxed out your score on practice tests (need a 34+). Once you've done so, retake. While doing so, do a post-bac to bring your GPA up. After doing all of that (as long as you need-1-2 years), reapply.

Just for reference. Meharry has a 24/30 10th-90th percentile for MCAT. And remember Meharry is HBCU, not sure of your background.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1426472012.773201.jpg

Retake MCAT and try for DO?

ignore all this bulls**t about retaking the mcat. just apply to a bunch of DO schools, and youll get in somewhere, as long as you put some thought into your essays and interview decently

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Can anyone help me out here? I am applying to schools now, but I would like to know if I should seriously apply to lower-tier MD schools or just stick with DO schools. Here are my stats:
Science GPA (without grade replacement): 3.28
Science GPA (with grade replacement): 3.45
Nonscience GPA: 3.84
cGPA (w/o replacement): 3.55
cGPA (w/ replacement): 3.65
MCAT: To be taken in June, but my practice tests say I will score about a 516.
I also have shadowing hours, volunteer hours in the SDS department of hospital, TONS of community service/leadership hours (I started a program that reaches out to elementary schools in the community here at University), a URA research grant, and a very upward GPA trend. My first semester I got all C's. Now, the past 3 semesters I haven't dropped below a 3.8, and that is including all my upper level science classes. Should apply MD or just save my money and apply broadly to DO schools?

Hey everyone! Can anyone help me out here? I am applying to schools now, but I would like to know if I should seriously apply to lower-tier MD schools or just stick with DO schools. Here are my stats:
Science GPA (without grade replacement): 3.28
Science GPA (with grade replacement): 3.45
Nonscience GPA: 3.84
cGPA (w/o replacement): 3.55
cGPA (w/ replacement): 3.65
MCAT: To be taken in June, but my practice tests say I will score about a 516.
I also have shadowing hours, volunteer hours in the SDS department of hospital, TONS of community service/leadership hours (I started a program that reaches out to elementary schools in the community here at University), a URA research grant, and a very upward GPA trend. My first semester I got all C's. Now, the past 3 semesters I haven't dropped below a 3.8, and that is including all my upper level science classes. Should apply MD or just save my money and apply broadly to DO schools?
You really need your own thread! This one is for the OP.

Reactions: 1 user