What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatsFan#1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male senior at NYU with ~3.4 cGPA, ~3.4 sGPA, 30 MCAT (11p, 10b, 9v). Good research experience, shadowed a doctor and other internships, letters of rec. & NYU's committee letter of rec. taken care of. Planning on taking a year off (hopefully working asa medical scribe) & applying in 2015.

Really want to go to an MD program, but don't know what my chances are. Can anyone help me out? What schools should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

table 25 puts your MD chances at about 34%. what state do you live in? you're a great DO candidate now, but if you're set on MD you might need a post-bac or a much higher MCAT

also, do you mean applying in 2016? if you're applying in 2015, you'd have to apply in a few months

The MCAT is kind of low, if you're taking a year off I'd suggest retaking for MD schools. I had a 29 and didn't get in, its harder for sub30s

For DO you're in decent shape

Members don't see this ad :)
Concur. 3.4 GPA is well below avg for MD schools. Double strike for the slightly below, but imbalanced MCAT.

table 25 puts your MD chances at about 34%. what state do you live in? you're a great DO candidate now, but if you're set on MD you might need a post-bac or a much higher MCAT

also, do you mean applying in 2016? if you're applying in 2015, you'd have to apply in a few months

How is 11/10/9 imbalanced?

Seems like you need more GPA, the MCAT is perfectly useable. Try an informal post-bac to get to 3.6.