What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun2track

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 4.0 and 30 on my MCAT. Biology/Organic Chemistry: 12, Verbal: 9, Physical: 9. Will I get into a medical school? Where should I look into applying? I'm a current junior.

Members don't see this ad.

It's all a crisp shoot but probably if you apply early and apply widely! How are your ECs? They count into the equation? What is your state of residence? Are you UIM? All of these things matter!

My state of residence is California. I have a lot of volunteer, shadowing, research experience and hours. I'm also highly involved on campus. I'm not UIM!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you're ready to leave CA like the rest of us CA exiles.

Reactions: 3 users
I had higher MCAT (31) and lower GPA (3.7) and did not get in to any "low/mid tier" MDs..only DO. I suggest applying DO also, if OMM interests you and money is not an issue...because DO schools tend to not to judge as harshly on numbers

I'm definitely applying to DO schools, but I would prefer MD schools.

Bring your OOS list and EC's to WAMC and we will review.

This my school list so far! Let me know what you think, please!

-Rocky Vista University—OD
-Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Rosalind Franklin University
-Central Michigan University
-UAB
-University of Louisville Medical School
-University of Arizona Phoenix
-University of Arizona Tucson
-University of South Alabama
-University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine
-Midwestern University—OD
-LECOM—OD Florida
-MoreHouse School of Medicine
-University of Minnesota Diluth and Twin Cities
-Florida State University Medical School
-Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
-Loma Linda University
-Louisiana State University School of Medicine
-Shreveport School of Medicine
-Albany Medical College

I had higher MCAT (31) and lower GPA (3.7) and did not get in to any "low/mid tier" MDs..only DO. I suggest applying DO also, if OMM interests you and money is not an issue...because DO schools tend to not to judge as harshly on numbers

Ohh that makes me scared. Did you apply to mostly California schools? Do you have any idea why you didn't get in? And did you get interviews?

Are you sure you researched your list?
Here are some initial observations (OD is an optometrist btw):

Rocky Vista University— (DO)
-Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
-Rosalind Franklin
-Central Michigan University
-UAB (they only matriculated 11/2664 OOS applicants)
-University of Louisville Medical School
-University of Arizona Phoenix
-University of Arizona Tucson
-University of South Alabama (they only interviewed 11/869 OOS applicants!)
-University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine (most OOS matriculants are part of special programs)

-Midwestern University (DO)
-LECOM—DO Florida
-MoreHouse School of Medicine: (HBCU)
-University of Minnesota Diluth and Twin Cities (OOS admissions are ususally to expand diversity or have stats higher than the median).

-Florida State University Medical School (3/2921 for OOS!)
-Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (state mandate to seat at least 90% IS)
-Loma Linda University: (delete unless your medical mission is to serve Christ).
-Louisiana State University School of Medicine (low yield for OOS)
-Shreveport School of Medicine (only interviewed 6 and matriculated 3 OOS)

-Albany Medical College

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh that makes me scared. Did you apply to mostly California schools? Do you have any idea why you didn't get in? And did you get interviews?

MCAT breakdown was 12 Vr , 11 Bs, and 8 Ps...unbalanced... I suspect this is what killed my application.

100s of hrs of research, physician shadowing hrs in 4 specialties, lots of volunteering in nursing homes. worked medically related jobs in summer. all 4 yrs played a club sport for my university..was a serious time commitment. good PS and rec letters I think. I think my interviews went well--i had 2, one at state MD school and one at KCOM.

I applied to my state school, Drexel, Creighton, and SLU. The DO schools I applied to: KCOM and CCOM. I also did secondaries for MUCOM and KCUMB (now "KCU") but they claimed to have lost parts of my application so I didnt bother with them after that. I live far, far away from California. You can probably guess the state.

I mentioned DO schools because I had never heard of them until just prior to applying, and wasnt sure if you knew they were an option. Some offer DO/PhD, like PCOM, if you want to be a physician scientist.

Hey I didnt mean to scare you. Best of luck to you

To add to Gyngyn if you don't have any ties to KY don't apply to University of Louisville. They only accept 35 OOS applicants and usually have some kind of tie to KY.

Hey everyone! Can anyone help me out here? I am applying to schools now, but I would like to know if I should seriously apply to lower-tier MD schools or just stick with DO schools. Here are my stats:
Science GPA (without grade replacement): 3.28
Science GPA (with grade replacement): 3.45
Nonscience GPA: 3.84
cGPA (w/o replacement): 3.55
cGPA (w/ replacement): 3.65
MCAT: To be taken in June, but my practice tests say I will score about a 516.
I also have shadowing hours, volunteer hours in the SDS department of hospital, TONS of community service/leadership hours (I started a program that reaches out to elementary schools in the community here at University), a URA research grant, and a very upward GPA trend. My first semester I got all C's. Now, the past 3 semesters I haven't dropped below a 3.8, and that is including all my upper level science classes. Should apply MD or just save my money and apply broadly to DO schools?

Hey everyone! Can anyone help me out here? I am applying to schools now, but I would like to know if I should seriously apply to lower-tier MD schools or just stick with DO schools. Here are my stats:
I also have shadowing hours, volunteer hours in the SDS department of hospital, TONS of community service/leadership hours (I started a program that reaches out to elementary schools in the community here at University), a URA research grant, and a very upward GPA trend. My first semester I got all C's. Now, the past 3 semesters I haven't dropped below a 3.8, and that is including all my upper level science classes. Should apply MD or just save my money and apply broadly to DO schools?
Suggest making your own thread. You will get more input that way

Reactions: 1 user
In the upper right corner look for the button that reads: Start New Thread.

Reactions: 1 users