What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med_2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I would love for feedback on my list of schools as well as my chances overall. I am a white 24 yo female and this is my first time applying. My stats are according to the TMDSAS application, which I have already submitted. I am a Texas resident, so if any schools on my list are picky about residency please let me know. I tried to be very thorough in my research.

cumulative GPA is 3.56 (upward trend)
science GPA 3.34 (poor grades addressed in PS and application; my mother was very sick my sophomore year)
graduate GPA (all science from Johns Hopkins) 4.0
MCAT (old) 32 (10/11/11)
I also took the MCAT in 2012 and got a 25 (8/9/8) but I think that is too old to be considered at this point.

ECs
Served on Student Council
Served on the Programming Committee (responsible for the school sponsored concerts/events)
Helped found the schools chapter of Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-health honors society)
150 hours of undergraduate research (these were courses I took but the class size was about 10-15 so we actually got to participate in the research the professors were actually doing)
900 hours in Cancer Research (this also counts as a medical volunteering EC)
700 hours in Vascular Surgery research (no pubs yet, but I am working on one in which I will be 1st auth)
40 hours shadowing an ER MD
1 year (~2600 hrs) working as a scribe
1 year (80 hrs) volunteering in a hospice (this is my non-medical volunteering experience as I never treated them, just read or talked)
My job experiences were waiting tables and working as an administrative assistant.

I have a letter from an undergrad science prof, a grad science prof and the MD I scribe for. I am also working on getting a non-science prof.

Here is my list of schools, any help would be much appreciated!
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (This is more of a long shot. I already go here so it would be nice to stay with the same school)
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Howard University
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine
Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College (I have been hearing more frequently that this is a long shot for me based on my race; is there any truth to that? Their site does not specifically state if they have a preference)
University of TN Health Science Cntr College of Med.
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Baylor College of Medicine
LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think Hofstra, Drexel, Commonwealth, Rosalind Franklin, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech are realistic but most of the other schools are reaches because of your GPA or because they are state public schools that would admit very few OOS applicants with your GPA. Consider applying to several DO schools also.

Thank you for your reply! I picked most of these based on the MSAR for this year. I grew up in NJ and have family there still. Does anyone know if this would help my chances there?

Members don't see this ad :)
TX applicants are highly unlikely to matriculate to OOS MD schools except when they are at the very top of the stats range for the prestigious schools that are likely to be able to attract (or pay) them. Only 193/3870 Texans matriculated OOS!

Take a look at the HBCU's demographics before applying.
I have no evidence that Rutgers (either) is accepting OOS in any significant number.

In summary, your best chance (by far) at MD is in TX. We don't even interview in your range because your IS odds are better and cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: