What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luka75

La logique, Fais-en ton seul outil
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, a little background.
I graduated in may 2014 from a private college with a 3.9 gpa for both Science and non-science.
I majored in Biology and Minored in physics and math
I have over 1000+ hours of clinical experience
No Research (to no fault of my own); still looking an applying though
I have about 400 hours of volunteer experience and about 300 of shadowing
I am currently in my 2nd of 3 gap years (2017 hopeful)
I intend to apply to ANY medical school that I think could accept me (DO or MD)
I have several academic and athletic awards and fluent in 4 languages (if that makes any difference)
I am an ESL student and have permanently been in the US for about 5 years now
I have a 504 MCAT, which I think is equivalent to a 28 (I scored a 23 the first time I took it 2 years ago)
Currently working full time at a hospital as a lab assistant and I also tutor at a college.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excellent chances for DO.

Iffy for MD, unless you are URM then also excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM group? Note that not all Hispanic groups are considered underrepresented in medicine: Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans usually are, while many countries in South America are not.

You have an excellent GPA, but the MCAT is not as strong, with a 26 mean from your two attempts. 51% of Hispanic or Latino applicants with a GPA between 3.8 and 4 and a MCAT of 21-23 were admitted to least one MD program. (Note: I am assuming you are Hispanic or Latino because you are ESL and most people who are both ESL and URM are Hispanic, if you're not, my apologies) If you have a MCAT of 24-26, the odds go up to 72.6%, and for 27-29, 81.9%.

The numbers are probably a little more favorable, as African-Americans are even less represented in medicine relative to the Hispanic URM groups.

I am African American, does that change anything?

It means you can apply to the historically black med schools, which tend to more lenient to low MCATs. Morehouse, Meharry, and Howard. The average MCAT of their accepted students is a 26-27

Edit: Darn, Goro beat me to it!

Any DO schools I should Consider? I am Currently in the process of sending out my applications for both MD and DO.

I think you're competitive enough for any DO.