MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying next spring 2016. I transferred from a California CC to a UC Davis (top 10 public school) as a Physiology major. I transferred with a 3.28 CC gpa in 3 years of course work. My GPA was really low because I was working 30-35 hours per week the whole time. I got a C in Gen chem2, Physics1, Ochem2 and Gen Bio2. I then earned a 3.89 GPA during my 2 years at UC Davis. I received solid A's in all but 3 of my upper division Bio courses. After graduating, I retook Ochem, Phys1, and Genchem2 after transferring and earned A's in all of them. Took anatomy as well at a CC after I graduated. Here are my stats:

-3.6 Overall GPA
** steep upward trend. 3.28 at CC, 3.89 at UC Davis.
-Graduated with high honors at UC Davis
-518 MCAT
-Received a Department Citation in the Physiology Department
-Deans List 4 out of 6 possible quarters(Earned a 4.0 GPA in all quarters/summer sessions except Fall2015)
-1st generation college student, disadvantaged URM (Father is mexican)
-300 hours of medical internship/volunteering (40 hours in GI, 260 in ER/Trauma)
-200 hours volunteering at Soup Kitchen
-100 Hours of volunteering: delivered leftover food from the school cafeteria to the homeless shelter
- Currently working as an E.R. Scribe (13 months in counting)
-1 year and 4 months of research in a Plant Biology and Molecular Biology Lab (no Publication or Poster)
-CPR Certified
- 120 hours of shadowing (70 hours in orthopedic, 30 in family medicine, 20 in pain medicine)
-Tutored Gen chem and Introductory Biology at my CC for 1 year
-Worked various fulltime jobs (McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Walgreens) during my 3 years at CC

My LOR's are okay. I have one from the surgeon that a shadowed (strong letter), Post-Doc (strong), from 2 science professors (1 average, 1 above average), and a writing professor (above average)

I plan on applying to some DO schools and MD schools. My main goal is to stay in CA. Here is my List:

UCSF
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Touro-CA
Western U
USC
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
U Missouri
Albany
NYMC
OHSU
U Michigan
NYU
Boston U
Drexel
Dartmouth
Ohio State
U New Mexico

What are my chances at the UC's? I'm worried that my sub-par GPA and lack of pubs might hinder my chances. Any schools that I should consider adding? Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

The school list needs a little work. Ditch the University of Missouri and New Mexico- they have heavy in-state bias. I would also ditch maybe one or two of the low-yields: a URM applicant with a 518 and a decent GPA is very competitive for mid-tier and I feel like you may get yield protected there. If you want to stay in CA, I would add Stanford as a reach instead of NYU or Michigan. It's certainly possible that you could get in there, although your lack of research productivity (no posters or pubs) may hurt you a little there.

How's your Spanish? Spanish-speakers are highly valued in the clinic and fluency is one reason why Mexican-Americans are highly sought after.

The school list needs a little work. Ditch the University of Missouri and New Mexico- they have heavy in-state bias. I would also ditch maybe one or two of the low-yields: a URM applicant with a 518 and a decent GPA is very competitive for mid-tier and I feel like you may get yield protected there. If you want to stay in CA, I would add Stanford as a reach instead of NYU or Michigan. It's certainly possible that you could get in there, although your lack of research productivity (no posters or pubs) may hurt you a little there.

How's your Spanish? Spanish-speakers are highly valued in the clinic and fluency is one reason why Mexican-Americans are highly sought after.

I'll consider adding Stanford. Will schools consider that I made a huge improvement from CC to university? Working long hours really hindered my performance at CC. Also, my Spanish is good. I can speak it fluently

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading between the lines in your post, I'd consider the lower grades in CC to be a consequence of you having to bootstrap your way out of a disadvantaged URM background, and that once you had made the leap to Davis your grades proved that you belonged at the top of a top public school. I'm betting Adcoms can read the same story.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input guys. What would you say my chances are at the UC's? My dream school is UCSF but I'd attend any UC school in a heartbeat...

Last edited:
You said your father is mexican.....are you Mexican or just considered half mexican? Do you have service to the Mexican community?

A 3.6/36 is plenty competitive URM status or not, but it still is important to clarify on this.

You said your father is mexican.....are you Mexican or just considered half mexican? Do you have service to the Mexican community?

A 3.6/36 is plenty competitive URM status or not, but it still is important to clarify on this.

I'm half-mexican which still makes me a URM. I do have some service to the mexican community and speak Spanish. Sorry but forgot to add that I was a part of this elementary school program where I helped underprivileged Mexican children with their school work. I did this for roughly 6 months