MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungDoc25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad cGPA and sGPA around 3.4-3.5 including retakes from my freshman year (I'll explain later)

MCAT is to be taken in April and I'll start applying this summer after I graduate in May.

My first semester in college was at a large D1 state school where I was playing baseball. Grades were fine until finals. I had a friend die the week before finals and unfortunately didn't perform well on them, dropping almost all my classes half to a full letter grade. Left at semester to get a fresh start (had a 2.1 GPA and needed to leave). Next semester I was still playing baseball, had a career ending injury, missed classes due to surgery and ended up almost dropping out due to depression and poor grades (had a 2.7 GPA that semester). The next year consisted of me trying to continue to play ball (didn't work out) and pull my life together (switched from engineering to biology major) and finished with around a 3.25 average for the year. Baseball career ended due to continued shoulder problems and I wanted to do as well as possible my last two years during my toughest classes. Since baseball I've taken my organic sequence, biochemistry, and all of my upper level credit classes while maintaning a 3.82 GPA. This last semester was Inorganic Chemistry, Physics 1 (retake because I had a C), Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, and my own personal cancer research project with faculty. I pulled a 4.0 and worked my butt off. I also had an internship last spring with my in state MD school where I got to follow around residents and their attendings while they interacted with patients. I have around 60 hours of shadowing residents/physicians. I also work as a life coach for Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

I know it's a lot, but I feel like most of it is relevant and can explain some of my early mishaps. I also don't want it to sound like excuses. I know I messed up, but it has definitely taught me how to deal with adversity and to work hard, both of which I feel like are truly applicable to med school. I need some feedback on how my app will look (MCAT pending) and what to do in my year off after graduating this spring. Sorry for the novel, but I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT its hard to tell, but your story is good and D1 athletics is looked on very favorably by adcoms. Your best bet is to apply broadly to DO schools provided you make a 508+ on the MCAT. Dont take the test til youre ready, and good luck!

Without an MCAT its hard to tell, but your story is good and D1 athletics is looked on very favorably by adcoms. Your best bet is to apply broadly to DO schools provided you make a 508+ on the MCAT. Dont take the test til youre ready, and good luck!
Very true, I know the MCAT will most likely make or break my chances. I will have a year off from school while applying, so a post-bacc/SMP is an option. Think it would be worth pursuing?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Very true, I know the MCAT will most likely make or break my chances. I will have a year off from school while applying, so a post-bacc/SMP is an option. Think it would be worth pursuing?
Perhaps a post-bacc, but your high grades in your more recent upper level science course work indicate that you'll be able to handle the science curricula of med school, so I don't think it's necessary.

I don't think MD is beyond reach. There are MD schools out there that favor upward trends.

Perhaps a post-bacc, but your high grades in your more recent upper level science course work indicate that you'll be able to handle the science curricula of med school, so I don't think it's necessary.

I don't think MD is beyond reach. There are MD schools out there that favor upward trends.
I appreciate the feedback. Do you think that's fairly common in midtier MD schools or only specific schools?