MD what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDOGGG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I have had a strange path to becoming a doctor. I will mostly summarize it so you can get the gist, but I must mention certain factors (which I will write about in essays) so that a holistic view of my "chances" can be seen.

so, I graduated from university about 2 years ago. My graduating sGPA was a 3.38 cGPA was 3.53

my grade trend definitely dips from beginning to end, and regardless of excuses mentioned, my mother passed away while I was in my 3rd/4th year of college and considering I went to college out of my home town (about 3 hours) I commuted a lot back and forth to see her. it was extremely stressful and not a very fun time. If you look at my actual class grades. I achieved an A in nearly every pre-med science class I took and for most of my academic career (except the last 2 years) my sGPA was much higher than my cGPA. but when this whole mess started my grades dropped significantly, I received 3 science class C's within 3 semesters and many more B's also (hence the low sGPA)

continuing, post graduation I was a bit broken up about being able to attend med school with everything that had happened (even though it was the only thing I ever wanted to be since I was 11). I did not have the money to try and attend a post-bac program to raise my GPA or try and get another degree and thus I took a 2 year hiatus.

the first year I became a realtor (a pretty damn good one) quite a ways from home, but I felt a bit purposeless even though I knew what it was that mattered most to me.

after much anxiety/depression/struggle (which I will not outline here) I finally pieced myself together and realized I will never be happy unless I follow with becoming a physician

for the last year I have worked as a clinical researcher under physicians to test different pharmaceutical drugs. It is quite exciting and fills the trifecta of med school non-academic credentials: research, patient care, and working with physicians. it is a very unique job from someone in a pre-medical profession and I have made many connections and leaned a lot about the bureaucracy of the medical profession.

I have also founded a non profit that has become IRS tax-cut approved and serves people who have never gone to college get their situation together and guide them through the process so that they can attend college; its amazing how many people dont think its a possibility in their life until you show them.

also have volunteered many places and was a powerlifter in college (first 2 years) as well and am currently studying for the mcat, which I will take at the beginning of may.

thanks for reading this far (if you have) and please, considering all this, what do you think my chances are? I am instate resident in Texas fyi.

Members don't see this ad.

State schools are usually the best bet. Sadly, TX puts a lot of store in gpa and your trend does not sound favorable. A post bac and a strong MCAT will probably be indicated unless you want to apply OOS DO.

Reactions: 1 user
State schools are usually the best bet. Sadly, TX puts a lot of store in gpa and your trend does not sound favorable. A post bac and a strong MCAT will probably be indicated unless you want to apply OOS DO.
what would you consider a strong mcat? im currently 24 and considering I provide for myself and studying for the mcat as well as working this research position take up a lot of my time. can a good enough mcat suffice?

Members don't see this ad :)
what would you consider a strong mcat? im currently 24 and considering I provide for myself and studying for the mcat as well as working this research position take up a lot of my time. can a good enough mcat suffice?
The median score for students accepted at San Antonio and TX Tech is 32 (between 512 and 513) . Baylor is 36 (518).
With a weak gpa, a "good enough" MCAT may not be good enough for IS.
OOS DO will still be an option, with an MCAT better than 502ish.

The median score for students accepted at San Antonio and TX Tech is 32 (between 512 and 513) . Baylor is 36 (518).
With a weak gpa, a "good enough" MCAT may not be good enough for IS.
OOS DO will still be an option, with an MCAT better than 502ish.
so basically I need to raise my gpa regardless of mcat score for IS Texas? doesnt it help by law they take 90% of IS students? I understand where you are coming from though, thanks again.

oh and I thought OOS would be more difficult considering I have a leg up being a Texas resident.

so basically I need to raise my gpa regardless of mcat score for IS Texas? doesnt it help by law they take 90% of IS students? I understand where you are coming from though, thanks again.

oh and I thought OOS would be more difficult considering I have a leg up being a Texas resident.
Last year TX had 4,254 IS applicants. Even with her statutory requirements, only 1,411 matriculated IS. 215 matriculated MD OOS. 2,628 didn't get into any MD school. The TX applicants that are accepted OOS into MD schools tend to be extremely well qualified. They usually qualify for recruitment $.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year TX had 4,254 IS applicants. Even with her statutory requirements, only 1411 matriculated IS. 215 matriculated MD OOS. 2628 didn't get into any MD school. The TX applicants that are accepted OOS into MD schools tend to be extremely well qualified.
Yes I agree, but I am not competing with out if state students applying to Texas MD schools. I am competing against the other 1400+ you mentioned. you recommend I apply OOS but wouldnt my chances be even lower considering I already have a leg up (90%) in Texas? sorry, just want to clarify sorry for bothering you so much :)

Yes I agree, but I am not competing with out if state students applying to Texas MD schools. I am competing against the other 1400+ you mentioned. you recommend I apply OOS but wouldnt my chances be even lower considering I already have a leg up (90%) in Texas? sorry, just want to clarify sorry for bothering you so much :)
I do not recommend OOS MD for most TX residents. Even with statutory requirements, you will need a strong MCAT considering the strength of the TX pool.You will also need to improve your gpa with your trend.
The real option at the lower end of the application metric is DO.

The question here is are you over the issues that caused your performance to dip at the end of college. You really have to be honest wtih yourself on that and if you have taken care of your mental health. There's no discussion of medical school without these issues being resolved.

On the surface you arent in that terrible of a spot, better than you might think . You have some nice ECs. Your GPA is at 3.53/3.38. This is low for Texas schools but with some post-bacc work(which youll really want to do given that trend) you can certainly bring this up to say a 3.63/3.5+ range which will put you back in the discussion for Texas MD schools. If you are open to the DO route, the outlook will be even more favorable. If in fact you can do several semesters of solid post-bacc work, then your target MCAT score should be precisely what the MSAR Median MCATs for the lower TX schools are(ie around 511 give or take).

You are likely looking though at 2 years or more though before you are ready to put together a truly competitive application. But there is a clear path to "redemption" here if you decide you are truly committed to it.

Reactions: 1 users
The question here is are you over the issues that caused your performance to dip at the end of college. You really have to be honest wtih yourself on that and if you have taken care of your mental health. There's no discussion of medical school without these issues being resolved.

On the surface you arent in that terrible of a spot, better than you might think . You have some nice ECs. Your GPA is at 3.53/3.38. This is low for Texas schools but with some post-bacc work(which youll really want to do given that trend) you can certainly bring this up to say a 3.63/3.5+ range which will put you back in the discussion for Texas MD schools. If you are open to the DO route, the outlook will be even more favorable. If in fact you can do several semesters of solid post-bacc work, then your target MCAT score should be precisely what the MSAR Median MCATs for the lower TX schools are(ie around 511 give or take).

You are likely looking though at 2 years or more though before you are ready to put together a truly competitive application. But there is a clear path to "redemption" here if you decide you are truly committed to it.
I see, and for your first question regarding my "mental health", that is a very good question haha. BUT I was hoping that SPECIFIC question would be answered with my upcoming mcat. I am doing rather well and way ahead of my projections on my studies. I have already studied 4 months and am getting 515+ and my test still isnt until may 6. and I will see what I can do about this GPA :(

I see, and for your first question regarding my "mental health", that is a very good question haha. BUT I was hoping that SPECIFIC question would be answered with my upcoming mcat. I am doing rather well and way ahead of my projections on my studies. I have already studied 4 months and am getting 515+ and my test still isnt until may 6. and I will see what I can do about this GPA :(

If in fact you can do a couple semesters of strong post-bacc work and hit the median MCAT of the programs in your state, youll be a competitive candidate.

If in fact you can do a couple semesters of strong post-bacc work and hit the median MCAT of the programs in your state, youll be a competitive candidate.
so I really shouldnt be concerned with doing EXCEPTIONAL on the mcat then? from what I have been gathering on these replies is that just try to aim for "average matriculant mcat" and raise the GPA? also (promise last set of questions and I will stop bothering you), do my grades look poorly because I had a downward trend? what if I had these stats and it was actually an upward trend? and FINALLY, you dont think schools will take at all into consideration the fact I was hardly in school the time period in which I received 3 C's? I have recommendation from the dean of the college of natural science himself underscoring this fact.