What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

CA1 applying to pain medicine programs in coming season. IMG in university anesthesiology program. Steps all 2+ SD, ITE >90%, multiple chapter publications in nonanesthesiology texts, lots of extracurriculars. Spoke to local pain program (largely noninterventional) and no research is currently happening so chance of publishing is low prior to opening of match. Was wondering what my chances are and what I can do to improve my probability of matching. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will match. The delicate issue is WHERE and where you want to be working post-fellowship.

Last edited:
match statistics were not that favorable last year.

if you think you need it, you can publish on your own.

find a mentor. write a case report. write a short review article. go to meetings and shake some hands. you are in charge of your own destiny.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have a problem. At some point you'll have to rotate through pain medicine. Find a mentor where you'll be rotating and rock the rotation.

Thanks for all the replies. I had already rotated on pain medicine and really enjoyed time on service.

A friend on mine is currently applying and stated that most programs tend to fill at least one spot with someone from the local program so approximately 200 or so outside applications are applying for one to two spots at each location.

I believe the best shot is to rank the local program highly. Concern is finishing fellowship with large procedural deficit.
Previous fellows average 5 stims, 0-5 intrathecal pumps, few to no discography or kyphoplasty procedures, some ultrasound regional. Lot of ESI, joint injections, TPI and facet blocks. I'm not sure if this is the norm at other programs and if there is a way to pick up procedures post fellowship but prior to joining the workforce.

Not to thread jack, but is research a BIG plus for pain application....or just a plus?

As a psych resident, I'm kinda banking on research.....