What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhpark0504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just took my OAT 2nd times and wondering what will be my chances for getting accepted. I've been reading through all threads and surprised with high OAT scores and GPA... So wondering if I will have any chances getting accepted, competing with other students.

GPA : 3.37 ish
OAT : 320 TS, 310 AA
Extracurriculars: Treasurer, Vice-President of Korean Organization, 60+ hours of Shadowing hours, 40 + hours of Volunteering hours at ER, I also shadow a optometrist in S. Korea (Which means I can speak Korean and English, just received my citizenship last month).

I'm planning on submitting my application as soon as cycle opens.

At the end, what are your thoughts on it, and since I only shadow one doctor in US, should I shadow more doctors to improve my application? Thank you all for reading my thread and hope you guys have a great summer.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on where you are applying, so I would make sure to check the requirements and average GPA/OAT scores of the entering classes for the schools you are interested in to get an idea of how strong of an applicant you will be in comparison. Since your TS is higher than your AA, I'm assuming it was your RC and/or QR that brought your score down? Either way, your score is definitely around the averages of a lot of schools for their entering classes, so I don't think your score is necessarily low or that your chances wouldn't be good.

It might be a good idea to shadow some more Optometrists because I know from reading through what some schools require, I have seen that they would like to see you shadow at at least 2 different offices to get a better overview of an Optometrist's work since each office is a little different. Other than that, you seem like a good applicant, so good luck on your applications and I hope you get into where you want to go!! :)

It really depends on where you are applying, so I would make sure to check the requirements and average GPA/OAT scores of the entering classes for the schools you are interested in to get an idea of how strong of an applicant you will be in comparison. Since your TS is higher than your AA, I'm assuming it was your RC and/or QR that brought your score down? Either way, your score is definitely around the averages of a lot of schools for their entering classes, so I don't think your score is necessarily low or that your chances wouldn't be good.

It might be a good idea to shadow some more Optometrists because I know from reading through what some schools require, I have seen that they would like to see you shadow at at least 2 different offices to get a better overview of an Optometrist's work since each office is a little different. Other than that, you seem like a good applicant, so good luck on your applications and I hope you get into where you want to go!! :)

Hey thank you alot for the reply and great tips. Yeah I'm trying to find a doctor who I can shadow as soon as possible because I'm trying to apply early as I can. Like you mentioned, my AA was lower due to reading comprehensive, received 280 and 340 on QR. Just wishing to get at least an interview from UMSL, NSUOCO, SCO and Midwestern.. Well thank you again for the help and sharing it with me !

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! I hear that applying early definitely helps. It will definitely save you trouble from the waiting game for interviews/decisions since you'll be getting your apps in before everyone else! I've heard that it is also good to call the schools and talk to them about your admission questions because it will give you the most accurate information as well as showing your interest into going to their school.
I'm going to be applying this cycle as well and I'm taking the OAT in a couple weeks, so I definitely understand your struggle. Wish you best of luck!!! :)

Remember, since it is mandatory to shadow an optometrist, EVERYONE has done it. Do things that will make you stand out. Direct message if you want help!

NECO class of 2020