What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorgdawg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
Just trying to get advice on my situation, appreciate any feedback.

Oregon Resident
White male
Major: Biochemistry/Biophysics (this is one major, not double) --> Graduated in 2015, will have 2 gap years before matriculation.
uGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.9
MCAT: Taken twice --> 507, 518
Research: 2.5 years total, spent 1.5 of it at virology lab which I got a second author publication, and the other year in an organic chemistry lab with no publications or posters (+2000 hours)
Medical Volunteering: Spent a week at a free clinic in Peru (~50 hours)
Non-Medical Volunteering: Classroom aide at my high school summer school (50 hours)
Medical Employment: Internal Medicine Scribe, plan to continue until matriculation (if I get in) in 2017 (~2000 hours)
Regular Employment: Warehouse staff for bouncy castle company (worked for one summer ~500 hours)
ECs:
1. President of philanthropy club at my university for 2 years, apart of the club for 4 years
2. Completed a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) class but did not get certified (had about 80 clinical hours included) so I finished with an NA (Nursing Assistant) (Total ~160 hours).
3. Upper Division Biochemistry TA for 6 months (+200 hours)
4. Study Abroad Program for one month taking summer Spanish classes in Spain (fair ability to speak Spanish)
Shadowing: 30 hours with vascular surgeon, 10 hours with cardiothoracic surgeon, 8 hours with family medicine, 4 hours with orthopedic surgeon, 4 hours with opthamology
LOR: These are good --> have a committee letter to wrap them all together

Here's where it gets problematic: I also have an IA for trespassing onto my school's football stadium after hours which happened a little over a year ago. Followed up with the courts for a misdemeanor that was eventually dismissed, but the IA at my school still remains. I owned up to it on my app, but its really hard to get a picture of how badly this will impact me. Hearing from someone with experience in this kind of stuff would be really helpful.

Overall, the IA and my lack of volunteering are the big weak points from my perspective. I will try to have more volunteer hours while I work this next year to strengthen that part of my app, but I'm not sure whether to have medical or regular volunteering.

That being said, here are the schools on my list:

Reach Schools:
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Duke
UCSF
UCLA

Target Schools:
OHSU (State school)
Tufts
University of Michigan
Ohio State University
UNC (I am aware that they don't accept many OOS applicants)
University of Wisconsin (This is my top choice, but I have no solid connection to the school)
Tulane (My dad went here for med school)
University of Minnesota
University of Virginia
University of Colorado
Case Western
University of Nebraska
Dartmouth

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

EDIT: Adding my shadowing hours

Members don't see this ad.

Between a recent IA(which on the surface doesn't sound like a deal breaker), multiple MCAT scores and limited service you have several variables that can make it hard to predict your outlook

Waiting a year to boost your service while also giving another year in between your IA would certainly help.
If you are intent on applying this cycle:
U of Wisconsin tends to average multiple scores I hear
You can come up with higher yield options than Nebraska, Colorado, UNC and Minnesota. These aren't target schools at all, especially UNC.
If you are going to apply this cycle I would go through MSAR and find more OOS friendly schools that get <11k apps and have an MCAT median roughly around 33 or so as an approximation

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I guess I meant those were "target schools" strictly on MCAT/GPA, but you are right that they are low yield, especially the public universities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent stats & ECs. Having 2 mcats, the second one being an 11 point increase, should not be a problem whatsoever. Definitely get medical and non-medical volunteering in and I think you should be golden (at least for OHSU). I agree in that nebreska, minnesota, and UNC should be taken out. Colorado is okay as they are more OOS friendly to someone of your stats and you can definitely keep Wisconsin since your numbers are very good (there is some conflict as to what schools state their policy is vs what they actually do regarding multiple MCAT scores and you'll never get a straight answer). You could add schools like Cincinnati, Iowa, Einstein, Rochester, and maybe a few more reaches like NYU, chicago cornell, etc. I really don't think your IA is a big deal as I'm sure there have been plenty of students with alcohol-related IA who made it fine. Everyone had their young and foolish moments and yours is not even that bad.

Thank you for your input as well @oak'n'oats. I was actually thinking about Einstein and Rochester so it is nice to hear that from someone else. I'll just have to wait and see how this IA stuff will come up later.

You have too many state MD schools on your list. Invest in MSAR and pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. UNC doesn't need the donation; take your SO out to dinner instead.

Your lack of patient contact experience is lethal, unless there was significant contact in your CNA training. the mission trip will be viewed as medical tourism.

@Goro Is scribing not considered "patient contact"? I see patients all the time at that job. Or do you mean patient contact through volunteering?