What are my chances????????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berdugo75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for a residency spot with the following attributes?

1) U.S. Citizen IMG.
2) 4 years work experience as a Clinical Coordinator (actually more like a P.A. without a license) in corporate healthcare (lots of patient-care experience in HIV especially).
3) 2 years work experience as a back-office medical assistant.
3) Certified HIV-counselor and Smoking Cessation counselor.
4) Step 1 > 3 attempts
5) Step 2 CK first attempt.
6) Step 2 CS first attempt.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not designed to answer "WAMC" (what are my chances") threads as there are too many factors involved in residency selection.

jeez...he just asked an opinion. And that kind of question is usually answered in many sdn posts! Why is he differet?

jeez...he just asked an opinion. And that kind of question is usually answered in many sdn posts! Why is he differet?

He is not different. What is different is that he posted it in the residency forum and I saw the post first before users started attempting to answer the unanswerable. The Moderators here have requested that the users not ask UNANSWERABLE questions.

You and others may delight in participating in the mental masturbation over WAMC in the pre-allo and med student forums but as has been answered here MULTIPLE times by myself, aprogdirector, etc. there is NO WAY to be able to give anyone a reasonable answer.

Therefore, IMHO its a waste of user's time and the OP's time to ask such questions. But if you feel you can give the OP a reasonable answer with:

- no USMLE scores
- no idea what field he/she is applying to
- no idea whether he/she has USCE
- no idea of med school graduation date

then feel free. In fact, the OP has given us so much less information than most people who post WAMC threads that I challenge anyone to be able to answer his/he question.

domperidon,
you violated the cardinal rule...
NEVER argue with a surgeon! LOL

Agree hard to answer this question without a lot more info. Based only on what was posted, would think it will be hard to answer the question, but would think chances aren't too good to get a US residency, unless the person has some strings to pull (i.e. he knows a faculty member(s) in some US residency who wants to help get him in).

He is not different. What is different is that he posted it in the residency forum and I saw the post first before users started attempting to answer the unanswerable. The Moderators here have requested that the users not ask UNANSWERABLE questions.

You and others may delight in participating in the mental masturbation over WAMC in the pre-allo and med student forums but as has been answered here MULTIPLE times by myself, aprogdirector, etc. there is NO WAY to be able to give anyone a reasonable answer.

Therefore, IMHO its a waste of user's time and the OP's time to ask such questions. But if you feel you can give the OP a reasonable answer with:

- no USMLE scores
- no idea what field he/she is applying to
- no idea whether he/she has USCE
- no idea of med school graduation date

then feel free. In fact, the OP has given us so much less information than most people who post WAMC threads that I challenge anyone to be able to answer his/he question.
I will accept the challenge...:smuggrin: (not sure about the mental masturbation, though :laugh:)

ROAD specialty - negative.
FM > 0
The rest - somewhere in between.

hey, I think I have done pretty well?;)

What are my chances for a residency spot with the following attributes?

1) U.S. Citizen IMG.
2) 4 years work experience as a Clinical Coordinator (actually more like a P.A. without a license) in corporate healthcare (lots of patient-care experience in HIV especially).
3) 2 years work experience as a back-office medical assistant.
3) Certified HIV-counselor and Smoking Cessation counselor.
4) Step 1 > 3 attempts
5) Step 2 CK first attempt.
6) Step 2 CS first attempt.

I would love to hear your opinions.

i think the answer is obvious... roughly...... 44.76%

I dunno.

Me as a reference.
Middle aged. Went to Carib school (not one of the big 3). Step 1 = 77 first time, Step 2 Ck = failed first time , second attempt 81, CS = passed first time.

During 4th year - 5 applications, got 4 invites. Walked out of one interview after politely telling them I was not interested. I had no clue what I was doing. I then failed step 2 ck, and withdrew from the match - not realizing I could still scramble. I had no idea what the scramble was.

1st year out - got one interview invite out of something like 100 apps. Did not match

2nd year out - had a good grasp on what the match was all about. Had it down pretty slick, and understood what PD's would look for and how to "sell" myself. Had a 3 step process down to schmooze PD's - got something like 14 or 15 invitations to interview, had 2 prematch offers.

Resigned from residency.

So now I am old, FMG, mediocre board scores (being generous), 3 years out - so far one invitation in the bag, and one program called me today to ask me some questions.

Statistically - if you have 10 interviews you have something like a 91% chance of matching as a FMG.

Depends on the programs you apply to. Of those that have a significant number of foreign trained graduates there seems to be 2 main groups. 1) those that want foreign born foreign trained, but non-Caribbean grads. I think they feel those who went to schools in their own country will be the best students from their country, and that US born Carib schooled students are poor students who could not get into a US school. 2) Those that prefer Caribbean schooled United States born students, because they will have done all or most of their rotations in the US hospitals - these students are already very familiar with how US hospitals work. Foreign born IMG's often are very lost in US hospitals. I would not think it is that different but have observed it to be so, and when talking to them they feel very out of place here. Plus with foreign born IMG's there is often a language barrier, which is not present with US born Caribbean trained FMG's.

So one of my advices is to look at a programs website - specifically at their residents bio pages. If 1/2 of their residents are Caribbean trained and you went to a Caribbean school your odds of success are much higher than if they are 1/2 IMG and all the IMG's were born and schooled in Russia, or Pakistan, or India. If none of their residents are IMG/FMG your chances are zero. Next look at their visa status - if they have a significant number of FMG/IMG but offer no visa's your chances are much better.

I dunno.

Me as a reference.
Middle aged. Went to Carib school (not one of the big 3). Step 1 = 77 first time, Step 2 Ck = failed first time , second attempt 81, CS = passed first time.

During 4th year - 5 applications, got 4 invites. Walked out of one interview after politely telling them I was not interested. I had no clue what I was doing. I then failed step 2 ck, and withdrew from the match - not realizing I could still scramble. I had no idea what the scramble was.

1st year out - got one interview invite out of something like 100 apps. Did not match

2nd year out - had a good grasp on what the match was all about. Had it down pretty slick, and understood what PD's would look for and how to "sell" myself. Had a 3 step process down to schmooze PD's - got something like 14 or 15 invitations to interview, had 2 prematch offers.

Resigned from residency.

So now I am old, FMG, mediocre board scores (being generous), 3 years out - so far one invitation in the bag, and one program called me today to ask me some questions.

Statistically - if you have 10 interviews you have something like a 91% chance of matching as a FMG.

Depends on the programs you apply to. Of those that have a significant number of foreign trained graduates there seems to be 2 main groups. 1) those that want foreign born foreign trained, but non-Caribbean grads. I think they feel those who went to schools in their own country will be the best students from their country, and that US born Carib schooled students are poor students who could not get into a US school. 2) Those that prefer Caribbean schooled United States born students, because they will have done all or most of their rotations in the US hospitals - these students are already very familiar with how US hospitals work. Foreign born IMG's often are very lost in US hospitals. I would not think it is that different but have observed it to be so, and when talking to them they feel very out of place here. Plus with foreign born IMG's there is often a language barrier, which is not present with US born Caribbean trained FMG's.

So one of my advices is to look at a programs website - specifically at their residents bio pages. If 1/2 of their residents are Caribbean trained and you went to a Caribbean school your odds of success are much higher than if they are 1/2 IMG and all the IMG's were born and schooled in Russia, or Pakistan, or India. If none of their residents are IMG/FMG your chances are zero. Next look at their visa status - if they have a significant number of FMG/IMG but offer no visa's your chances are much better.

Dude are you seriously trying to get back into residency or are you just kidding? I still remember that dramatic thread you manufactured before you quit. Are you a person or is this some computer program generating these random posts?

Dude are you seriously trying to get back into residency or are you just kidding? I still remember that dramatic thread you manufactured before you quit. Are you a person or is this some computer program generating these random posts?

Computer

I am not sure what you mean by "manufactured". My 6 year old being hospitalized twice for meningitis, my mother in law having a stroke neccessitating around the clock care - and my wife needing to quit her job to take care of her, trying to live in another state at residency while my family stayed here on only my residents salary etc - was not manufactured. It was my life.

So how lonely do a-holes like yourself get on Friday nights at 10:41 PM (as your post shows) with no friends?

I am not sure what you mean by "manufactured". My 6 year old being hospitalized twice for meningitis, my mother in law having a stroke neccessitating around the clock care - and my wife needing to quit her job to take care of her, trying to live in another state at residency while my family stayed here on only my residents salary etc - was not manufactured. It was my life.

Good luck in the match this year, Doowai:luck: :)

But seriously, Doowai, I thought you wanted to go back into your fabulously successful life as a chiropractor. You weren't willing to work for the pittance wages of residency, remember?

And I'm quite surprised, given the views you've espoused on female doctors being horrid mannish abominations of femininity due to their inability to care for their children round the clock, that your wife was working outside the home.

But seriously, Doowai, I thought you wanted to go back into your fabulously successful life as a chiropractor. You weren't willing to work for the pittance wages of residency, remember?

And I'm quite surprised, given the views you've espoused on female doctors being horrid mannish abominations of femininity due to their inability to care for their children round the clock, that your wife was working outside the home.

All of our children are in school, and her work hours as a loan officer did not conflict with our home life

And residency wages are a pittance.

Last edited:
Berdugo, I am not going to be able to post anything here without being attacked by the kind and caring future doctors of the world.

I do have some unique insights on US citizen IMG's with otherwise abysmal chances obtaining residency interviews in FM and IM. IM me if you want some insights on how to get your applications in front of PD's. There aren't alot of people trying to get into residency with more abysmal chances thabn myself, yet I get interviews and prematch offers. I don't know much but I have gotten some clues on how to schmooze PD's in FM and IM.

hey, i think it's a great thing for you to be willing to share your experiance and i do believe that more than one person would appreciate your suggestions...

Just to let you know, the time is different in different time zones. You might be the only lonely one seeing that particular time.

Yeah I was online because my and daughter were watching chick flicks and I did not plan to do anything else. I am in the latest time zone in the continental country at this time, so if anything it is even later there - meaning they are otherwise alone at either near midnight or one - this does not bode well if you are single.

hey, i think it's a great thing for you to be willing to share your experiance and i do believe that more than one person would appreciate your suggestions...

I do too, and my mail box is full of PM's of thanks for the long thread I posted in the family medicine forum based on my 16 years of practice tips. But I get tired of all the people who get "culo sentido" attacking me.

The comments blonde doctor is referring to are over a year old and obviously she has been carrying around these bitter semtiments for over a year, waiting for an opportunity to say something. Since she is planning on applying to plastics next year, she is probably intelligent - and if not that at least educated. I wonder if there is any correlation between education and inability to let go of petty hurt sentiments

Basically I have found a 3 step format for obtaining the attention of PD's. If you are interested let me know. When I posted a unique idea on how to do a personal statement, so as to attract attention and get PD's to read it, I got ALOT of PM's asking for copies of my PS - which is by all accounts very unique.

Sharing information is how things get ahead. Attacking people is how things get stymied. It gets tiring dealing with the elitists with petty childish quarrels they milk on and on like the Hatfields and the MacCoys, never letting go and nursing ad infinitum like they have anything better to do (and they probably don't)

Last edited:
So how lonely do a-holes like yourself get on Friday nights at 10:41 PM (as your post shows) with no friends?

Not as lonely as you will be if you keep disrespecting women, and quiting your job.

Not as lonely as you will be if you keep disrespecting women, and quiting your job.

Quitting has two T's. You may be right,its hard to predict the future and what will happen. At least you admit I am right about you being a lonely......

Last edited:
Quitting has two T's. You may be right,its hard to predict the future and what will happen. At least you admit I am right about you being a lonely......

Sorry about that, I rarely use that word. You on the other hand.....

Ok, the insulting and derogation of each other is uncalled for.

I have already posted a warning in the thread.

ONE more instance and the thread will be closed and all participants will receive action against their account.

Sorry about that, I rarely use that word. You on the other hand.....
Have used it once when my family needed me, and quit residency to take care of business. Just like knowing how to spell it correctly I know when to use it correctly.

name another time I quit something Sirus.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.