This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bracco- It looks to me like you will have a great app so far. I think your extensive dog breeding experiences will help set you apart. I'm not sure about revised GRE scores, so I can't help much there, but your "old" GRE scores seem fine to me. If your percentile ranks are similar then you should be fine. You mention that you will be getting more vet experience hours by the time of your application which is really the only thing that I think could use a little improvement, so that's great. You should aim for as many as you can get (try for 1000 or above). But honestly with as many animal experience hours as you have, and the fact that you have a varietly of vet experiences, I think you might get away with fewer hours. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

First time applicant, 20 year old female, Florida Resident
Cum GPA: 3.63
Undergrad: University of Florida, Animal Science major (senior)
Science GPA: 3.5
GRE: 570 verbal, 690 quantitative.
GRE Revised: 157 verbal, 163 quantitative.

Veterinary-Related Experience (will have more by the time I apply, currently working part time at both tech jobs)
600 hours - vet tech at small animal clinic
250 hours- ICU tech at UF Small Animal Hospital
20 hours - misc. small animal
40 hours - large animal, ambulatory equine

Animal-Related Experience
10,000+hrs - Bracco Italiano dog breeder (breeding, whelping, raising, etc), dog show handler/trainer (for myself and others, in US and Europe), dog handler/trainer for hunting tests. Also co-founder/President and current Board Member and Committee Chairperson of the Bracco Italiano Club of America (national dog club). AKC mentor and "breed expert" for the Bracco.
24hrs - ABS Artificial Insemination Technician (bovine)
80hrs - Pet Therapy with my dog at nursing home
60 hrs - Pet Rescue volunteer (dog walking, bathing, etc)

Employment
Sales Associate at Western Clothing Store - 5 years

Extracurricular/Community Activities
Pre-Vet club
North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
Tomoka Woods Pointing Dog Club
Creative Writing Club (High School)
JV Golf/Tennis (High School)

Awards and Honors
Dean's List
Florida Academic Scholars Award
National Merit Scholar (commended, in HS)
High School: Top 10%, National Honors Society, JV Golf and Tennis

I'm looking for suggestions to improve my application. What do you think the weak spots are, and the best ways to improve them?

I know they say not to put all your eggs in one basket, but (for a lot of reasons) Florida is my first and "only" choice. I'm praying that I get in on the first cycle, but if not then I'll apply again. I'm born and raised in Gainesville.... and I spend a lot of time here at the vet school (and love it)... once a Gator always a Gator! LOL

I'm taking classes this summer and working, but hopefully I'll have time to get more varied experience. Would it be better to focus on getting as much experience within the college hospital as possible (get to know the doctors, potential interviewers, etc?), or try to branch out (shadow more large animal vets, volunteer at horse rescue, etc)?

Also, does anybody have a good idea as to what's "competitive" with the revised GRE?

Thanks!

I have nearly the exact same stats and I just got in to Florida. I have quite a few more vet hours, but I don't think it was necessary to have as many as me. So you definitely have a chance! Don't forget your personal statement and eLORS are very important as well, but there's really no way to compare those between us. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!:luck:

I have nearly the exact same stats and I just got in to Florida. I have quite a few more vet hours, but I don't think it was necessary to have as many as me. So you definitely have a chance! Don't forget your personal statement and eLORS are very important as well, but there's really no way to compare those between us. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!:luck:

Thanks, Emiloo! I'm going to definitely work to get more hours over the summer - aiming to have 1000+ by the time I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm finding it extremely overwhelming. Everyone has so many hours on here! But I thought that I might as well give this a shot. I also was wondering if anyone could help me out with which vet schools I would have the best chance getting into with my stats. Also my state does not have a vet school. I will be applying with Fall. Here's what I expect my stats to be at my time of application:

20 yr old Female

cum GPA: 3.69
science GPA: haven't calculated, but probably 3.6ish

GREs: taking in the beginning of june

Animal Hours
500 hours working with sheep
100 hours working with beef cattle
100 hours working with alpacas
5000 hours working with horses

Research
Conducted a research project in Costa Rica under the guidance of my professor (phD) over Spring break. (The project had been thoroughly planned in the 2 months before hand).

Work
Worked at a horse barn for 2.5 years
Worked at a home improvement store as a cashier
Worked for my University doing general maintenance
(I know, the last two are random...but I really needed the money)

Vet Hours
20 hours shadowing an equine chiropractor/acupuncturist
300 hours shadowing in a large animal clinic specializing in horses; mostly an ambulatory practice.
70 hours observing equine surgery
20 hours in an emergency mixed animal clinic

Volunteer/Extracurricular
Volunteered as a barn worker for 6 months
Volunteered at a horse sanctuary (100hrs)
In the Ski and Board Club
Run and train for half marathons
Pre-Vet Club
Scholarship recipient

Thanks to whoever responses! :) also, if it isn't already obvious from my experience, I want to be an equine vet, I know I should be more well rounded, but I just can't get into the small animal clinic setting : /

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm finding it extremely overwhelming. Everyone has so many hours on here! But I thought that I might as well give this a shot. I also was wondering if anyone could help me out with which vet schools I would have the best chance getting into with my stats. Also my state does not have a vet school. I will be applying with Fall. Here's what I expect my stats to be at my time of application:

20 yr old Female

cum GPA: 3.69
science GPA: haven't calculated, but probably 3.6ish

GREs: taking in the beginning of june

Animal Hours
500 hours working with sheep
100 hours working with beef cattle
100 hours working with alpacas
5000 hours working with horses

Research
Conducted a research project in Costa Rica under the guidance of my professor (phD) over Spring break. (The project had been thoroughly planned in the 2 months before hand).

Work
Worked at a horse barn for 2.5 years
Worked at a home improvement store as a cashier
Worked for my University doing general maintenance
(I know, the last two are random...but I really needed the money)

Vet Hours
20 hours shadowing an equine chiropractor/acupuncturist
300 hours shadowing in a large animal clinic specializing in horses; mostly an ambulatory practice.
70 hours observing equine surgery
20 hours in an emergency mixed animal clinic

Volunteered as a barn worker for 6 months
Volunteered at a horse sanctuary (100hrs)
In the Ski and Board Club
Pre-Vet Club
Scholarship recipient

Thanks to whoever responses! :) also, if it isn't already obvious from my experience, I want to be an equine vet, I know I should be more well rounded, but I just can't get into the small animal clinic setting : /

I applied this year without many vet hours and got in. I would recommend looking through the successful applicant stats thread and find those with low vet hours and look at where they applied and were able to get in. Since you don't have an in state look for out of states that accept a lot of OOS students like Missouri where I'm going accepts 60 out of state students because some schools like Davis only accept around 10 OOS students I think. Also make sure that you meet all the requirements for the schools that accept a lot of OOS students. I e-mailed a bunch of the schools before I applied to clarify any requirements I wasn't 100% sure I met because I didn't want to waste money applying to schools if I didn't meet the requirements. But if you do apply to missouri I think you do need to get at least a few hours working with a small animal vet because you will get more points in their application process I think people on here said before that you get the most points if you have at least 100 hours in each different type of vet area so aim for 100 if possible. But even if you don't want to apply to Missouri (I don't know why you wouldn't want to ;)) I would still recommend at least getting a few small animal hours because most schools are going to want to see it.

I think you'll have a better idea of which schools you have a better chance of getting into once you take the GRE because that's really important for some of the schools and then you can compare yourself to the the schools stats on their incoming class. With your grades and GRE.

I think its good that you have had some jobs that are not related to animals because in at least one of my interviews they wanted me to give examples of experiences about something that was not related to vet medicine and this way you have some other types of experience (I had a lot of volunteer work that was not related to animals and I was asked about some of it and was able to bring some of it up in my interviews. I think the schools liked that not everything I did was related to animals.) And you can always call the school after looking at their website to get more information about how they evaluate applicants to make sure your not wasting time applying. I hope this helps a little. :)

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm finding it extremely overwhelming. Everyone has so many hours on here! But I thought that I might as well give this a shot.

This forum was the single biggest source of stress in my life last September. I had opened my VMCAS in June and had been working on it steadily all summer, but the second I discovered SDN I decided it was complete crap and I needed to start all over, and there was no way I was ever going to be accepted, ever.

Absolutely the best thing you can do is focus on your own wants/needs/strengths. Don't compare yourself because you'll only be putting unneeded stress in your life; and besides- if pre-vet students are competitive, the pre-vet students who specifically seek out other pre-vet students on the 'net are the most competitive. :D

Also, regarding a lack of diversity in hours - my vet hours came strictly from small animal clinics. Play up the day-to-day diversity within your field of choice (for small animals, I included my knowledge in labwork {cytologies, etc}, basic procedures {blood draws, vaccinations, etc}, pharm, ICU, and client care, as well as general patient care), and don't make excuses for a lack of breadth. ;)

Other than that, your application looks fine. And there's nothing wrong with including employment that has nothing to do with animal hours. It makes you seem like a real person, and not a pre-programmed pre-vet robot. ;)

FWIW, I had a friend apply to vet school, who found this site after sending in the application. It can give you a lot of insecurities comparing yourself to everyone else. In the end it worked out very nicely for my friend, and all the worrying looked silly in hindsight. Trust in yourself, and give the process a chance!

FWIW, I had a friend apply to vet school, who found this site after sending in the application. It can give you a lot of insecurities comparing yourself to everyone else. In the end it worked out very nicely for my friend, and all the worrying looked silly in hindsight. Trust in yourself, and give the process a chance!

Definitely can support this statement. I applied my first time during my senior year (graduated last May) and didn't find about this website until I was trying to figure out what "hold status" meant in regards to where I stood with Penn. Ended up joining in September and definitely freaked out more this application cycle than I did the last one. But, it's also a great support network, so it's almost like a little bit of a catch-22.

Hey guys! So, as you can see, I just recently made an account, but I've been a lurker for some time. Unfortunately, I found this site after I had applied last year :( but I'm hoping that it will prepare me better for this year! If anyone would like to help give me an idea of where/if I should apply to this cycle, I would really appreciate it! At this point, I might apply almost anywhere that takes a lot of OOS and doesn't weigh too too heavily on GPA. I have increased my vet hours since my previous application (which involved a pathetic amount), increased my GPA ever so slightly, have retaken a class I got a C- in (ahem Orgo 2..yuck) and received an A, and I will have 2 different letters of rec this time around. Here's the stats:

21 year old Female, Illinois resident
B.S. Animal Sciences
Last year I applied: UI, KSU, MSU, Mizzou, ISU, UWM
Interviewed: KSU
Rejected: Everywhere except KSU
Waitlisted: KSU

Cum GPA: 3.477
Science GPA: 3.397
Last 45: 3.582 (I had to use Spring ’11 for a total of 59, or 41 hours at 3.626). **Any advice on how to calculate just 45 hours?

GREs:
1st take: 480 V 720 Q 4.5 W
*2nd take: 158 V 158 Q 5 W Converts to: 580 V 740 Q
*was not taken by all the schools during the previous application cycle.
Plan to retake in June

Vet Hours
~180 Shadowing/Assisting SA Private Practice
300 hours Wildlife Medicine Surgery Externship
100 hours Another Wildlife Medical Clinic
~20 hours Shadowing SA Vet. With research

Animal Hours
140 hours LA- Swine, Dairy, Equine, Sheep
~250 hours with research animals- Gen care/ Enrichment
200 hours Volunteering internationally with wildlife
30 hours Humane Society Volunteer
More with wildlife that overlaps with my vet experience.
I have had dogs and cats my entire life. Not sure how to input this on my app. (I didn’t include it at all last year…)

Research
~650 hours as Undergrad research Assistant in Companion Animal Nutrition

Work
200 hours Office/desk job during the past school year on top of my research position
Worked part-time throughout High school at Target and a couple summers (exciting, right?)

International Wildlife Sanctuary Volunteer in two countries. Acted as Trip Coordinator/Leader for one
Humane Society
Non Animal Sci-related club president for 1 year, Held offices in two other clubs
TA'ed a class about farm animal husbandry

Multiple Scholarships and awards.
Deans List Fall 2011
Honors Scholar 2008-2011 (Didn't complete the required research project to graduate with the title)
Senior Honorary at my University
High School Valedictorian

Thank you to anyone that responds! I would love advice on how to better my application. I have already graduated, so bringing up my GPA isn’t likely. I have all pre-reqs taken except for a Cell Bio class ( my school does not offer one) that I would take if I got into MSU or another place that requires it. I’m going to be lurking a lot because I want to make my application as good as possible and last time I had no idea what I was doing!

PS. If anyone has suggestions for how I should spend my year off, I would love them! Right now I have an internship that fills my summer, but I am looking for something to do in fall and spring!

Thanks again!

Have you done any file reviews yet? If not, definitely contact the schools you applied to ASAP to set up a time to go over your application. It's definitely very helpful and can help you figure out some of your weak points that you might not have thought of. I know Mizzou won't do one though since you didn't interview there ( I didn't either...), and I'm honestly not sure if other schools would do the same thing.

Is UWM, Wisconsin? I'm imagining it is, and honestly, I probably wouldn't apply to them again. I was flat out rejected with a cum GPA of 3.52 (invited avg was 3.76), required 3.72 (invited avg 3.81) and last 30th was a pathetic 3.19 (invited avg 3.5). I still don't quite understand this last 30th credit and really think my heavy course load hurt me since my last two semesters of school were 3.6 and 3.66 GPAs...Anywho, they recommended I retake the GRE (I had a 550 V 670 Q and 5 W) and take another FT semester of classes. No thank you. For animal experience they recommended I get some experience with cattle since that was an area I was lacking in. So it sounds like they want you to dabble in everything. They put a lot of weight on GPA it seems and since they only accept like 10 OOS, it's competitive.

And in all honesty, I don't think your stats are bad. You have a variety of experiences, so maybe just try to add more hours to those? You're GPA you really can't fix too much after a certain point and you're GRE scores are pretty solid. So I think in your case, file reviews might be the best option to better pick out what areas are weak. Maybe it was your personal statement or something else that's not jumping out right now.

Thank you so much! I have a file review with both UI and KSU coming up in the next couple weeks, and more planned! Yeah, I meant UWM as Wisconsin. And yeah, definitely not bothering with that one again! I hated how they dragged me on after the supplemental and didn't officially reject me until so late in the game. Ruined that little glimmer of hope I had to get cheap OOS tuition! I'll definitely look into getting other kinds of experience as well. And rocking my PS this time!

It sounds like you've done a few things to improve it all ready. I would get feedback on your personal statement as well though. As far as your GRE scores go... I personally don't think your second set of scores should be a problem, at least if I was to judge from the translated score, but I don't think any of us are very sure about the new GRE as of right now. I heard they are focusing more on percentiles than scores right now since it's so new (which they tended to do in the past as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Emiloo!!! I'll definitely get to work on that! I hope they get the GRE stuff figured out soon. It would definitely make our lives much easier! Maybe not easier, but less stressful!

Thanks Emiloo!!! I'll definitely get to work on that! I hope they get the GRE stuff figured out soon. It would definitely make our lives much easier! Maybe not easier, but less stressful!

Not sure if you're aware or not, but there's a thread with a bunch of volunteers willing to review personal statements. If you scroll to the end, the list is pretty long with people's different strengths for reviewing. If you feel comfortable, send it to a few of them and see what they think. I wish I could do it myself, but I am slammed with last minute classes and packing to move across country :eek:.

Here's the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=883951

Wow! Best of luck for your classes and move! Once I have my PS to a level that I find agreeable, I'm planning on begging some generous people from that thread for their help. However, right now I'm nowhere near ready. I did start on it today, though. I feel like PS writing this year is going to be a four month long process.

Wow! Best of luck for your classes and move! Once I have my PS to a level that I find agreeable, I'm planning on begging some generous people from that thread for their help. However, right now I'm nowhere near ready. I did start on it today, though. I feel like PS writing this year is going to be a four month long process.

Don't stress yourself too much over your personal statement or you will get an insane case of writer's block lol. I'm not saying it's not important, but just use it as a way to showcase yourself in a deeper way than the rest of your application can. And "be yourself" and show them why you would make a good addition to the profession. They aslo like diversity. As part of mine I showed how my diversity could contribute to the profession. :luck:

This early in the game, I'd recommend doing a stream-of-consciousness. =) Just start writing. Forget the end goal, forget the tone you'd like to use eventually; talk about why you want to be a vet, what's prepared you for the profession, why you're a good candidate, etc etc. And just write, y'know?

Then you can spend some time picking the most eloquent parts out and putting together a really beautiful finished product. ;)

Thanks for the advice! I just did a file review over the phone at KSU, and Dr. Elmore actually said that my last PS was pretty good. I thought it was awful. I'm going to focus on brainstorming right now and hopefully find inspiration at the wildlife clinic I work at. Animals always have a way of helping you figure things out!

Dr. Elmore actually said that my last PS was pretty good. I thought it was awful. !

I feel like this is always how any humanities assignment goes for me.

Write a fantastic, inspiring essay? B-

Can't breathe handing in an essay because it's so terrible? A

.... This is why I like science :laugh::love:

And I would recommend that every poster has at least a few hours shadowing in a small animal clinic. A huge percentage of graduates go into regular small animal practice and I think it's important to be exposed to that (even if it's just so you know you have to work really hard not to end up there). Plus small animal clinics are a dime a dozen, so it's easy to find one where you can spend a week.

I second the "free writing" idea. I didn't switch up my VMCAS PS too much but had to come up with brand new ones for Tufts. I was stuck since at 22, I don't have major life experiences except for my year abroad during my junior year of college. Well, that's what I used the for my essays the year before. So, I was totally stuck. My friends told me just write for a solid 10 to 15 minutes of everything that came to mind, even if it was something like "I don't want to do this." By the end of it, you should have some ideas for an essay and can play around with a few topics.

Probably works a bit better for some of the supplemental essays but I'm sure it can be applied to the general VMCAS PS.

Hey all, first post here, and I have some stats and questions for you! I recently spent 2 years in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua and while it wasn't in a directly animal-related capacity (I did environmental education), there were plenty of animal-related things I did, and I'm trying to integrate the general experience into my app -- those were definitely an enlightening two years and they influenced my decision to pursue vet med. I'm not one of those people who has been dead-set on being a vet since they were a kid, so I have some catching up to do.

First time non-trad applicant (probably next year), 26, male, WA resident

Cum GPA: 3.5
Science/Prereq GPA: 3.3
Last 45 GPA: 3.7

GRE: 168V, 162Q, 5AW

Vet experience so far:
~200 hrs shadowing/volunteering at private SA clinic
~200 hrs shadowing/volunteering at Humane Society vet clinic
~20 hrs shadowing equine vet

Research experience:
-Undergrad thesis on rangeland monitoring (including livestock impacts) in Maasailand, Kenya

Animal experience:
-approx. 500 hrs volunteering at Seattle Aquarium interpreting exhibits, helping with animal feeding and care, other random tasks (I got to guard a baby seal once, and another time I got groped by an octopus!)
-a few hundred hours doing cattle-related projects in Peace Corps, including biodigestors and lombriculture with local schools and ranches
-Other animal-related small projects in Peace Corps: classes on dog and cat care, adopting/finding homes for some strays in town, classes on organic/sustainable pesticide use with ranchers
-Dog, cat, and exotic owner my whole life. This includes going through the process of bringing my cat back to the USA from Nicaragua :)

Other stuff (aka most of my life)
-Eagle Scout
-Philanthropy chair, Phi Delta Theta
-Academic distinction 4/8 semesters
-2 years in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua: Environmental Education sector. This consisted of training rural teachers in giving environmental science classes, various garbage-related projects with city hall, biodigesters and lombriculture with local ranchers, a cool radio show a friend and I started in the town, English classes, and much more
-1 year in an office job at a local tech services startup in Seattle. This taught me that I don't want to spend my whole life sitting at a desk :)

Questions I have: Is 162 a decent quantitative GRE score or should I try retaking it? How do VMCAS/schools differentiate semester credits vs. quarter credits in terms of "last 45 GPA" and various schools' credit requirements? Do you guys have any tips on finding livestock vet experience for people who don't live in livestock-heavy areas?

Thanks everyone! Love this forum!

Last edited:
Grades grades grades, they are the bane of my existence! My GPA right now is not solid at all (high 2s), however I have two years to get that back up. If I somehow managed a 4.0 for the next two years the highest my GPA can be is a 3.3, however looking at my schedule it's more realistic I'll end up with a 3.0-3.2 range. Not horrible, but not the "average" most people apply to vet schools for.

My grades being low all happened this past (sophomore) year as well, I'm not going to bore everyone with details but I was in and out of a bad/abusive relationship, lost my job which put me into quite the scare over living in college, and for some reason organic chemistry just sucked the life out of me, I don't know, this year was bad. I guess I was in a bout of depression because there were long periods of nothing but sleep and complete lack of motivation to move, let alone study, and my GPA tanked because of it.

But as of now things are looking better, I went from volunteering in a dairy science lab to becoming a paid employee, I help out with most of the grad students on their projects (which means a lot of hands on animal experience because almost all the work involves going on the farm) and one of the PhDs wants me to run an experiment for him this summer that will be included in his dissertation when he defends next spring (woo being an obscure reference at the bottom of a publication), and I'm hoping to get the Pratt scholarship, which is a stipend to complete a research project senior year which you then defend in a symposium before graduation. My grades may suck, but I attribute a lot of that to my horrible test taking skills...something I need to work on, I know, I just tend to freeze during tests. Field/lab work? Pfft, easy stuff for me.

So I guess my question is, does having a lot more research/field experience help if your grades and clinical experience is lower? I shadowed a few vets one summer, but since then I've been focused on working in the lab so I just haven't been going to see any vets. Through the end of high school and beginning of university I worked at a shelter so I have well over thousands of hours of "animal" experience, not to mention my boyfriend runs a 500 head dairy and whenever I visit I'm working so I have plenty of animal experience, just not strictly clinical.

I guess the good thing is if I'm not accepted right away the professor I do research for has all but told me he'd love to have me stay as a grad student, and I figure if I get a master's and reapply to vet school I'd have a better chance...it's just, bleh, the thought of being in school for an extra two years makes my head spin, haha.

Oh, and it probably helps that I'd be applying large animal, not small? And I am a student at Virginia Tech and plan on applying to VAMD obviously so being an in-state current student helps I suppose, I know when I check their incoming freshman list every year the majority of VA students accepted are Virginia Tech students, but I wonder if that's "favoritism" or if most of the applicants come from Tech to begin wih.

Oh and my other question: Is it frowned upon to not have a vet as a reference? I shadowed a couple years ago and have sort of kept in touch with them but there's no way I'd feel comfortable asking them for a reference when it comes time for it, it's just been too long. My references will probably come from the prof. I do research for and some other faculty I'm close with (benefits of being in a dairy science department of only 100 people...you know everyone).

Last edited:
Oh and my other question: Is it frowned upon to not have a vet as a reference? I shadowed a couple years ago and have sort of kept in touch with them but there's no way I'd feel comfortable asking them for a reference when it comes time for it, it's just been too long. My references will probably come from the prof. I do research for and some other faculty I'm close with (benefits of being in a dairy science department of only 100 people...you know everyone).

Quick answer about just this last part: some schools it will no doubt make a difference in that they ask specifically for a letter of rec from a vet. Other schools may not have a set requirement, but if I were an adcom, it would put me off a little to a lot, depending on the rest of your application. If you don't feel comfortable asking because it's been so long (which is reasonable to not do, since they won't remember you as well to write as strong a letter as possible), get some new shadowing/clinical experience to have a letter--especially since you should be having great experience (and GRE if possible?) to counter the GPA.
Talk to some of the professors you know really well and let them know that you're interested in getting more clinical experience--they likely have a contact or two they could get you in touch with and networking like that is going to be more successful in helping you find a shadow-type position than contacting vets who you have no connection to.

Super quick question for you guys. Should I bother retaking the GRE? I got 163V (93%) 163Q (88%) and 4.0A (48%). Only thing I'm not happy with is the writing section. I stink at standardized writing. I would hate to retake the whole thing and have to worry about lowering my verbal and quant scores just to improve the writing. My gpa is good (3.75), so I don't really need the GRE to compensate for anything. Thoughts?

Super quick question for you guys. Should I bother retaking the GRE? I got 163V (93%) 163Q (88%) and 4.0A (48%). Only thing I'm not happy with is the writing section. I stink at standardized writing. I would hate to retake the whole thing and have to worry about lowering my verbal and quant scores just to improve the writing. My gpa is good (3.75), so I don't really need the GRE to compensate for anything. Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother. You risk lowering your Q and V scores, and most schools don't put too much weight on the AW section (some don't even count it).

Hey guys I'm pretty new to all of this, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some brutal honesty on my chances of getting in.. Currently my first choice is SGU b/c I'm interested in their dual degree in wildlife conservation medicine, but honestly I'll be happy to get in no matter where it is

double major in Biology and Environmental Studies, from Florida State University
GPA 3.35
science GPA: 3.01
experience:
internship in a cheetah breeding program ~1200 hrs( shadowed the on-site veterinarian at this zoo while I was there as well ~500hrs)
volunteering at a small indigenous species zoo ~200 hrs
currently working at a wildlife rehab

I'm signed up to take the GRE soon and know I pretty much need to rock it to help out for my pretty low GPA.... I have a lot of animal experience, but my problem is that most (okay all) of my experience is with non-domestics/exotics...I'm worried my lack of domestic experience and my lower GPA is gunna be the nail in my acceptance coffin..

Hey guys I'm pretty new to all of this, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some brutal honesty on my chances of getting in.. Currently my first choice is SGU b/c I'm interested in their dual degree in wildlife conservation medicine, but honestly I'll be happy to get in no matter where it is

double major in Biology and Environmental Studies, from Florida State University
GPA 3.35
experience:
internship in a cheetah breeding program ~1200 hrs( shadowed the on-site veterinarian at this zoo while I was there as well ~500hrs)

I'm signed up to take the GRE soon and know I pretty much need to rock it to help out for my pretty low GPA.... I have a lot of animal experience, but my problem is that most (okay all) of my experience is with non-domestics/exotics...I'm worried my lack of domestic experience and my lower GPA is gunna be the nail in my acceptance coffin..

If you're interested in exotics/wildlife (which is where it sounds like your interest is), then no it shouldn't completely prevent you from getting accepted anywhere. I would recommend getting some experience in small animal or other fields as well though. Some schools like to see a variety. And I agree that you pretty that an awesome GRE will probably help with the lower GPA.

If you're interested in exotics/wildlife (which is where it sounds like your interest is), then no it shouldn't completely prevent you from getting accepted anywhere. I would recommend getting some experience in small animal or other fields as well though. Some schools like to see a variety. And I agree that you pretty that an awesome GRE will probably help with the lower GPA.

Yeah it looks like I need to start preparing myself for it! Thanks!

GPA 3.35
experience:

Definitely need to study for the GRE. You know your stats aren't perfect, so plan in accordance. :) Set yourself up for success, not failure.

Make sure you look at the schools you apply to and make sure they look at the whole picture. Some schools calculate your position and you get an interview based on your ranking there. With a lower GPA, if you don't rock the GRE hard core, you may be looking at several "thanks but no thanks" responses from vet schools if you don't choose the schools you apply to carefully. For example, Texas A&M only interviews the top, like 5% of applicants, and they fall at the top of the school's 'calculation' of GPA/GRE. Whereas somewhere like UC Davis looks at your WHOLE application, experience is heavily weighted for them.

If you have an in-state (IS), or are a resident of a WICHE state, definitely apply to all schools where you'd be considered IS (or have state contracts with). But other than IS/WICHE, look at how schools review applicants.

It is really important that you objectively look at yourself, in my opinion.

For example, this is how an adcom might see you:
"So, you have wildlife experience. Have you ever considered small animal medicine? Have you considered food animal medicine? Large animal medicine? Have you ever been around horses or cattle at all? What about government work, would you consider that? What if you can't get into an exotics residency/internship/job...would you consider another sect of the profession...No? You've only ever worked with wildlife, so you KNOW that's where you belong?"

Really sell yourself in your personal statement. Explain why wildlife/exotics are your passion. Why you know that's where you belong. But really do consider other options. Shadow other types of vets so you can make an informed decision or have an informed response if you get asked these questions in an interview or to use as examples in your personal statement.

Honestly review yourself, and make up for your inequities. Don't say to yourself, "Well, that person got in with a 3.0 GPA and 1500 hours exotic experience, I should be ok." Really beef up your application. Round out flat spots, add things where you are lacking, and most of all, just be yourself and sell that self in your personal statement.

:) I really hope this has been helpful. This is just how I feel after my application cycle. Wish someone had shared this with me before I applied!

I wouldn't bother. You risk lowering your Q and V scores, and most schools don't put too much weight on the AW section (some don't even count it).

I completely agree FWIW, and like NStaz said, many schools allow you to even bypass the writing section, so I don't think it will matter. Plus, a 4 isn't that bad. I would be happy with what you got (congrats btw :D) and get to applyin! :thumbup:

GPA 3.35
experience:

If you're still around to see this... GO NOLES!!! (Fellow alum:D).
Also, if you need some SA experience and are still in Tally, go check out North Florida Animal Hospital. They hired me as a vet tech with no experience the day I applied. And they are awesome! They may even let you shadow if you aren't looking for a job. One of the owners was an eLOR writer for me. :)There are also several other hospitals in that area! University of Florida's vet school (yuck, I know ;)) has a pretty good wlidlife program as well... just another thought. :luck:

I'm trying to go to Ross, St. George's, or St. Mathews (is that AVMA?)

1040 GRE
630 Quant 150
410 Verbal 147:scared: horrible with verbal

I'm terrible with standardized tests... I've been studying and took it 2 times, I'm trying for a third in august.

3.05 undergrad gpa
3.5 graduate gpa

5 pre-req courses until December hopefully a 3.4 gpa

Recommendations:
1 Director of my undergrad department
1 Director of my graduate department
1 Ph.D thesis professor
1 Veterinarian from veterinary hospital

2000 volunteer hours at veterinary hospital
500 hours at horse stable

Is this a terrible app to get rejected by any of those schools? How about Ross's vet prep?

Is this a terrible app to get rejected by any of those schools? How about Ross's vet prep?

St. Mathew's isn't AVMA, to my knowledge.

As for Ross and SGU, your stats are fine. Your undergrad GPA is a bit on the low side, but why not try applying for your in-state school, anyway? It might be cheaper for you.

I have been lurking for a bit and a little nervous about my stats. But I think I could go for some input from others who have been or who are currently in my shoes. This will be my first go of applying for vet school.

29 years old, Female, Maryland resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology concentration on Pre-vet med and Minor in Chemistry, University of New Orleans

Cum GPA: 3.00
Science GPA: 3.5?

Animal Experience:

Lots! Besides having pets all my life, I volunteer for the Washington Humane Society.

Research Experience:
I have worked as a research assistant for almost three years for Georgetown University and the DOD.

GRE: I plan to retake in August
V: 156
M: 148
W: 4

Applying to: Ross University and St. George’s for May, 2013. LSU, and VA tech for Fall, 2013.

I have been out of school so long; I am concerned about my letters of recommendations. I never stayed in contact with any of my profs from school, so I don’t think I could get letters from them. My supervisors are willing to write one for me. I have a couple bosses who have PhD’s but they are not too nice when it comes to people leaving for a better future.

I have no vet experience besides going to the vet with my animals when I had them. My family vet has retired to Hawaii. I have requested shadowing for a couple vets and have been turned down. So I’m still working on that.

I have an F and a D and a few W’s on my transcript which I can explain if I got an interview.

I have had some friends who have gotten into post-bacch programs, nursing school, ect. tell me to play up the obstacles in my life. They did and felt that this gave them an edge over some candidates. I’m not sure. Anyone have any opinion or experience with this?

If I can get the adequate vet experience and get my letters, is there hope for me?

Thanks much!

I have been lurking for a bit and a little nervous about my stats. But I think I could go for some input from others who have been or who are currently in my shoes. This will be my first go of applying for vet school.

29 years old, Female, Maryland resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology concentration on Pre-vet med and Minor in Chemistry, University of New Orleans

I have been out of school so long; I am concerned about my letters of recommendations. I never stayed in contact with any of my profs from school, so I don’t think I could get letters from them. My supervisors are willing to write one for me. I have a couple bosses who have PhD’s but they are not too nice when it comes to people leaving for a better future.

How long have you been out of school? Most science-y prereq's have to be less than 6 years old to be considered as fulfilling the requirement (LSU's is 5). "General" classes required like English, usually last 10 years. Just wondering, but if your BS is in biology with pre-vet concentration, why are you just now applying?

Also your cumulative GPA doesn't necessarily reflect the GPA you will present to a school. Some only count the 'required course' GPA and then your science GPA. LSU really tries to help you. They only count the courses they require, and any science classes beyond what they require are only counted towards your GPA if you got an A in the class, so it can only boost your GPA. :D

There's definitely hope for you, so don't give up!

Retaking the D and F and W classes would be a really good place to start improving your application.

Veterinary experience is a must-have! Some schools have minimum requirements of it to apply.

Many schools (if not all) require a letter of recommendation from a veterinarian as part of your application.

You know the application cycle begins on June 7th, right? Of course, that's when the app opens; it closes around the first of October. Do you think you can get enough experience in that short amount of time in order to apply for the 2013 cycle?

A final note: Dress nicely, type up a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to shadow (i.e. I'm going to apply to vet school this year), deliver the resume and ask to talk with the veterinarian or office manager at EVERY vet clinic in your area. You're bound to get at least ONE bite. :)

St. Mathew's isn't AVMA, to my knowledge.

As for Ross and SGU, your stats are fine. Your undergrad GPA is a bit on the low side, but why not try applying for your in-state school, anyway? It might be cheaper for you.

There isn't any in new jersey, I'm kind of concerned if my stats can get into Ross and st George's. And now that st George's is accredited I have no idea what my chances are.

How long have you been out of school? Most science-y prereq's have to be less than 6 years old to be considered as fulfilling the requirement (LSU's is 5). "General" classes required like English, usually last 10 years. Just wondering, but if your BS is in biology with pre-vet concentration, why are you just now applying?

Also your cumulative GPA doesn't necessarily reflect the GPA you will present to a school. Some only count the 'required course' GPA and then your science GPA. LSU really tries to help you. They only count the courses they require, and any science classes beyond what they require are only counted towards your GPA if you got an A in the class, so it can only boost your GPA. :D

There's definitely hope for you, so don't give up!

Retaking the D and F and W classes would be a really good place to start improving your application.

Veterinary experience is a must-have! Some schools have minimum requirements of it to apply.

Many schools (if not all) require a letter of recommendation from a veterinarian as part of your application.

You know the application cycle begins on June 7th, right? Of course, that's when the app opens; it closes around the first of October. Do you think you can get enough experience in that short amount of time in order to apply for the 2013 cycle?

A final note: Dress nicely, type up a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to shadow (i.e. I'm going to apply to vet school this year), deliver the resume and ask to talk with the veterinarian or office manager at EVERY vet clinic in your area. You're bound to get at least ONE bite. :)

Thanks for the input. I have been out of school for almost 4 years. My plan was always to go to vet school right after I got my bs, but life happened which prevented alot of stuff from happening like I had planned.

I retook the F and the D (had to in order to graduate).

Once again, thank you so much!!
I'm nervous about getting the vet experience in time. I want to hurry up and get into vet school before I have to retake classes because they are too old.

Im not sure if this goes in this thread but here goes. I just finished my freshman year undergrad and am really stressing about grades. My total GPA is 3.81 now. The only B I got is in astronomy. Will that reflect really badly on me, will I need to explain it to adcoms? Sorry if this is a silly question, Im still new to this.

Im not sure if this goes in this thread but here goes. I just finished my freshman year undergrad and am really stressing about grades. My total GPA is 3.81 now. The only B I got is in astronomy. Will that reflect really badly on me, will I need to explain it to adcoms? Sorry if this is a silly question, Im still new to this.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time taking this seriously. Your grades are fine. Just keep up doing well, get a variety of animal/vet experiences, and do well on the GRE and you stand a chance.

And FWIW, asking if you grades are bad when you're less that .2 away from a 4.0 is likely to annoy some people, and I am including myself in this. I would hope by now you know that your grades are excellent and that you don't need us patting you on the back to let you know you're doing well. Sorry, I don't mean to sound b*****, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like the people who say they did horrible on a test but walk away with a 95%...

Last edited:
Definitely need to study for the GRE. You know your stats aren't perfect, so plan in accordance. :) Set yourself up for success, not failure.

Make sure you look at the schools you apply to and make sure they look at the whole picture. Some schools calculate your position and you get an interview based on your ranking there. With a lower GPA, if you don't rock the GRE hard core, you may be looking at several "thanks but no thanks" responses from vet schools if you don't choose the schools you apply to carefully. For example, Texas A&M only interviews the top, like 5% of applicants, and they fall at the top of the school's 'calculation' of GPA/GRE. Whereas somewhere like UC Davis looks at your WHOLE application, experience is heavily weighted for them.

If you have an in-state (IS), or are a resident of a WICHE state, definitely apply to all schools where you'd be considered IS (or have state contracts with). But other than IS/WICHE, look at how schools review applicants.

It is really important that you objectively look at yourself, in my opinion.

For example, this is how an adcom might see you:
"So, you have wildlife experience. Have you ever considered small animal medicine? Have you considered food animal medicine? Large animal medicine? Have you ever been around horses or cattle at all? What about government work, would you consider that? What if you can't get into an exotics residency/internship/job...would you consider another sect of the profession...No? You've only ever worked with wildlife, so you KNOW that's where you belong?"

Really sell yourself in your personal statement. Explain why wildlife/exotics are your passion. Why you know that's where you belong. But really do consider other options. Shadow other types of vets so you can make an informed decision or have an informed response if you get asked these questions in an interview or to use as examples in your personal statement.

Honestly review yourself, and make up for your inequities. Don't say to yourself, "Well, that person got in with a 3.0 GPA and 1500 hours exotic experience, I should be ok." Really beef up your application. Round out flat spots, add things where you are lacking, and most of all, just be yourself and sell that self in your personal statement.

:) I really hope this has been helpful. This is just how I feel after my application cycle. Wish someone had shared this with me before I applied!

Thank you soo much seriously! You pointed out some stuff that I hadn't really thought of. First and for most I should probably be way more specific with what exactly I've worked with! I was raised up with horses, livestock etc and still work with them to this day.In fact...I've probably seen the inside of over fifty horse..don't ask lol I'm also extremely interested in the Army Vet Corp and all that it entails if I do choose to stay in the US... should I get meticulous with what exactly I have worked with in order for them to see what exactly I've worked with?? I just don"t want to put too much info into my app..you know?
I'm not sure the best approach in specifying what exactly I've worked with. is it better to be broader like large carnivores, ungulates, domestic livestock, equine, etc or more specific?
Anyways your advice is super helpful and really appreciate you taking the time!!:)

If you're still around to see this... GO NOLES!!! (Fellow alum:D).
Also, if you need some SA experience and are still in Tally, go check out North Florida Animal Hospital. They hired me as a vet tech with no experience the day I applied. And they are awesome! They may even let you shadow if you aren't looking for a job. One of the owners was an eLOR writer for me. :)There are also several other hospitals in that area! University of Florida's vet school (yuck, I know ;)) has a pretty good wlidlife program as well... just another thought. :luck:

AHH!!! Its great to have a fellow garnet and gold fan in here! Thanks so much for the heads up about North Florida Animal Hospital. I've been trying to get SA experience up here, but I think my schedule isn't flexible enough for most of the clinics b/c all the classes I try to take to graduate on time :(, so getting a heads up about them is deeply appreciated! Even if they will just let me volunteer or shadow would really help me out!
:thumbup: (let's pretend that looks like a Seminole chop lol)

Honestly, I'm having a hard time taking this seriously. Your grades are fine. Just keep up doing well, get a variety of animal/vet experiences, and do well on the GRE and you stand a chance.

And FWIW, asking if you grades are bad when you're less that .2 away from a 4.0 is likely to annoy some people, and I am including myself in this. I would hope by now you know that your grades are excellent and that you don't need us patting you on the back to let you know you're doing well. Sorry, I don't mean to sound b*****, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like the people who say they did horrible on a test but walk away with a 95%...
I just realized how I came off. Sorry, everyone I ask has been telling me its impossible to get into vet school without a 4.0 so I just panicked. I've been meaning to ask someone on this forum what grades people who are accepted get in with. I really did not mean to come off as one of those people, I get annoyed when people do that too. I'm just not sure whats required to get into vet school.

I just realized how I came off. Sorry, everyone I ask has been telling me its impossible to get into vet school without a 4.0 so I just panicked. I've been meaning to ask someone on this forum what grades people who are accepted get in with. I really did not mean to come off as one of those people, I get annoyed when people do that too. I'm just not sure whats required to get into vet school.

Fair enough.

Here..... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880261
This is all of the statistics of succesful applicants from this past cycle. There are some 4.0s, there are some 3.2s and there is everyone in between. It should help you get a better understanding of statistics for getting into vet school. :)

I think 3.5-3.6ish is around average if you look at all the schools. More important, though, is the GPA range of the school you're looking to apply to - most publish those statistics on their website if you look for it. :)

In general, though, just aim as high as you can (over 3.5 is good; over 3.7 is better!) while getting experiences in the field. You don't need a 4.0, I promise.

Honestly, I'm sorry as well. I even edited it to try to sound less b***** and I don't think I succeeded. :oops:

Definitely glance through previous years Acceptance Stats Threads (like the one Emiloo) just posted. You'll easily see you don't need a 4.0 to get in. In fact, some with 4.0's get rejected. A high GPA does not guarantee you anything. It definitely helps, so keep up the good grades, but all your other areas of you application need to be strong as well. If it makes you feel better, my cum GPA is a 3.5 and I have two W's and a C on my transcript. I started out with a lower GPA my first two years of undergrad and was probably around a low 3.2, so you're definitely off to a better start than I was.

wow you guys are super nice! Thanks for the tips, reassurance, and forgiveness. (orca2011-I totally deserved it, and my response wouldn't likely have been as generous. Thanks for setting me straight :) )

my cum GPA is a 3.5 and I have two W's and a C on my transcript. I started out with a lower GPA my first two years of undergrad and was probably around a low 3.2, so you're definitely off to a better start than I was.

And they still acted favorably upon you?! :smuggrin: ;)

And they still acted favorably upon you?! :smuggrin: ;)

I know! It's shocking. Hahah. I was a worse applicant last year and I can't believe I did as well as I did then. I still honestly sometimes can't believe I got in cause I definitely don't consider myself a super strong applicant. Just average.

Does anyone know the average GRE and gpa for Ross? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.