This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know! It's shocking. Hahah. I was a worse applicant last year and I can't believe I did as well as I did then. I still honestly sometimes can't believe I got in cause I definitely don't consider myself a super strong applicant. Just average.

You clearly rock :horns:
That is all :D

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the average GRE and gpa for Ross? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I've never applied to SGU or Ross so someone on here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as long as you meet their minimum requirements they do their best to seat you. None of my friends who have applied have been rejected from either of those schools.

I've never applied to SGU or Ross so someone on here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as long as you meet their minimum requirements they do their best to seat you. None of my friends who have applied have been rejected from either of those schools.

Ross also has online seminars you can connect to. I think I signed up for one on their website. You connect in and are able to ask an adcom and 4 Ross grads any questions you want by typing them in. Go to their website and sign up for one and they will email you to remind you when it comes around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I will be appying for the first time this summer and need a bit of advce. I worked at a SA practice for 2 years so I know I have enough hours accumulated for that but is it really that necessary to get LA hours as well??? And I happen to live in NY where all the farms are very far from me....can I possibly try something else like exotics or do they strickly want LA?

I just realized how I came off. Sorry, everyone I ask has been telling me its impossible to get into vet school without a 4.0 so I just panicked. I've been meaning to ask someone on this forum what grades people who are accepted get in with. I really did not mean to come off as one of those people, I get annoyed when people do that too. I'm just not sure whats required to get into vet school.

The "you have to have a 4.0 to get into vet school" is a myth.

I'm a senior in undergrad now and based of my experience and many of my friends, it is a little unrealistic to obtain a 4.0 upon graduation.

Def get as high of a GPA as you can because the higher the GPA the better your chances usually of getting in, but remember that there is more to life / getting into vet school than grades. You need to find time to get in animal/vet experience hours in in addition to studying and doing well in classes. Also, vet school likes to see well rounded people so get involved in other things that you enjoy. Vet hours are extremely important. Try to get a variety of hours in different vet fields.

And, my engineering major boyfriend has been telling me this for the past 3 years, "don't work your life away with stressing about school", school is important but you'll burn out and put too much stress on yourself if you try to get a 4.0. It's a great goal to have but keep in mind it is sometimes unrealistic.

Just try your best, don't give up, and keep your ambition and you'll get into vet school :)

The "you have to have a 4.0 to get into vet school" is a myth.

I'm a senior in undergrad now and based of my experience and many of my friends, it is a little unrealistic to obtain a 4.0 upon graduation.

Def get as high of a GPA as you can because the higher the GPA the better your chances usually of getting in, but remember that there is more to life / getting into vet school than grades. You need to find time to get in animal/vet experience hours in in addition to studying and doing well in classes. Also, vet school likes to see well rounded people so get involved in other things that you enjoy. Vet hours are extremely important. Try to get a variety of hours in different vet fields.

And, my engineering major boyfriend has been telling me this for the past 3 years, "don't work your life away with stressing about school", school is important but you'll burn out and put too much stress on yourself if you try to get a 4.0. It's a great goal to have but keep in mind it is sometimes unrealistic.

Just try your best, don't give up, and keep your ambition and you'll get into vet school :)

Seconding this. I did a ton of other stuff in addition to working on preparing my vet school application. Actually, when I didn't stress as much about school during my junior and senior year I did better. I also had wayyyy more fun during those two years. ;) You need to make sure you have a nice balance between work and play.

Seconding this. I did a ton of other stuff in addition to working on preparing my vet school application. Actually, when I didn't stress as much about school during my junior and senior year I did better. I also had wayyyy more fun during those two years. ;) You need to make sure you have a nice balance between work and play.

Me too. My grades actually improved a lot in my last 3 semesters because I've learned to worry less, have more fun, and balance school and life.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I'm finding it extremely overwhelming. Everyone has so many hours on here! But I thought that I might as well give this a shot. I also was wondering if anyone could help me out with which vet schools I would have the best chance getting into with my stats. Also my state does not have a vet school. I will be applying with Fall. Here's what I expect my stats to be at my time of application:

20 yr old Female

cum GPA: 3.69
science GPA: haven't calculated, but probably 3.6ish

GREs: taking in the beginning of june

Animal Hours
500 hours working with sheep
100 hours working with beef cattle
100 hours working with alpacas
5000 hours working with horses

Research
Conducted a research project in Costa Rica under the guidance of my professor (phD) over Spring break. (The project had been thoroughly planned in the 2 months before hand).

Work
Worked at a horse barn for 2.5 years
Worked at a home improvement store as a cashier
Worked for my University doing general maintenance
(I know, the last two are random...but I really needed the money)

Vet Hours
20 hours shadowing an equine chiropractor/acupuncturist
300 hours shadowing in a large animal clinic specializing in horses; mostly an ambulatory practice.
70 hours observing equine surgery
20 hours in an emergency mixed animal clinic

Volunteer/Extracurricular
Volunteered as a barn worker for 6 months
Volunteered at a horse sanctuary (100hrs)
In the Ski and Board Club
Run and train for half marathons
Pre-Vet Club
Scholarship recipient

Thanks to whoever responses! :) also, if it isn't already obvious from my experience, I want to be an equine vet, I know I should be more well rounded, but I just can't get into the small animal clinic setting : /

Soo I just took my GREs and I got a 153 quantitative and a 156 verbal, don't have my writing score yet. Would this score plus my other stats be good enough to potentially get me into a US vet school? Thanks! :)

They look pretty good to me -- your GRE according to the ETS site is 65-75th percentile, but it varies for each test, and each vet school has a different average GRE score. I'd say you have a perfectly decent chance, especially if you get some more vet hours under your belt. I assume you're more interested in large animal medicine?

Yea, I have an interest in horses especially, however this summer I got a job working at a small animal clinic as a vet assistant. I probably won't be getting too many more large animal vet hours before I apply, but I'll probably get at least 300 small animal hours.

Soo I just took my GREs and I got a 153 quantitative and a 156 verbal, don't have my writing score yet. Would this score plus my other stats be good enough to potentially get me into a US vet school? Thanks! :)
You definitely have a shot! I would say that your application is about average. Solid GPA (assuming it's balanced), okay GRE, good vet experience, and good animal experience.

Welcome to the world of the ADCOM dartboard! :thumbup:

Thanks! I feel kind of silly asking, but I have no idea, what is a balanced GPA?

Thanks! I feel kind of silly asking, but I have no idea, what is a balanced GPA?

I'm assuming she means your GPA is not, like C in biology, A++ in English, and is actually more along the lines of good science grades and ok english/humanities/other grades. Not a lot of 'fluctuation' if you know what I mean.

Good, solid, mostly As and a few Bs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have suggestions for how I might improve my chances of being accepted to Colorado? They are the nearest school to me.

My info:

32 yrs old Female

cum GPA: 3.8
science GPA: 3.8

GREs: have not taken them yet.

Animal/Veterinary Hours
1300 hours working as a Veterinary Technician (I have my associates for this and am fully licensed in my state) this covers small and large animals.
500 hours working with dogs (small animal massage) + a lifetime of dog ownership
300 hours working with dogs & cats at the shelter in my area + a lifetime of cat ownership (we currently have 10)
I have no idea how to calculate the number of horse hours I have. Officially, I have 750 hours of Equine Massage, plus some side courses on equine reproduction/semen collection/semen freezing. I have 200 hours of experience in collecting semen and freezing it. In addition to this, I have owned horses my entire life (got my first pony when I was 3) and was assisting my parents with natural cover breeding and foaling at the age of 9.

Education in addition to prerequisites:
Associates degree: Veterinary Technician
Certification Equine Massage
Certification Canine Massage
5 day Equine Dissection course
3 day Equine Spine/Pelvic Dissection course
21 days training Equine Reproduction/Breeding management/Semen collection

Work
Owned my own business working online (horse related from the age of 17 to 32)
Owned my own business working online (not horse related from the age of 23 to 29)
Currently run a small horse breeding farm and train horses on the side
Also working part time as a Vet Tech

Letters of Reference:
My vet
The vet I worked for to complete my veterinary technicians degree
A Veterinary Medicine professor in Costa Rica
The vet I currently work for
The vet who taught the Equine Reproduction courses
The professor who taught the Equine Spine/Pelvic course

My weak points:
I did not attend high school. My formal childhood education stopped after 7th grade. I finally went in and got my GED when I was 29. Will this completely kill my chances?

While I am stable personally, I do have two children under school age. I don't know if this matter to them or not. My husband works from home, so child care is not a problem.

Looks great to me. I don't think a high school diploma is required for any vet schools, so I can't imagine it being an issue -- your stats are quite impressive regardless. And I don't think your family situation would be much of a factor for the admissions people if it isn't for you -- plenty of people in vet school are married with kids.

Does anyone have suggestions for how I might improve my chances of being accepted to Colorado? They are the nearest school to me.

My info:

32 yrs old Female

cum GPA: 3.8
science GPA: 3.8

GREs: have not taken them yet.

Animal/Veterinary Hours
1300 hours working as a Veterinary Technician (I have my associates for this and am fully licensed in my state) this covers small and large animals.
500 hours working with dogs (small animal massage) + a lifetime of dog ownership
300 hours working with dogs & cats at the shelter in my area + a lifetime of cat ownership (we currently have 10)
I have no idea how to calculate the number of horse hours I have. Officially, I have 750 hours of Equine Massage, plus some side courses on equine reproduction/semen collection/semen freezing. I have 200 hours of experience in collecting semen and freezing it. In addition to this, I have owned horses my entire life (got my first pony when I was 3) and was assisting my parents with natural cover breeding and foaling at the age of 9.

Education in addition to prerequisites:
Associates degree: Veterinary Technician
Certification Equine Massage
Certification Canine Massage
5 day Equine Dissection course
3 day Equine Spine/Pelvic Dissection course
21 days training Equine Reproduction/Breeding management/Semen collection

Work
Owned my own business working online (horse related from the age of 17 to 32)
Owned my own business working online (not horse related from the age of 23 to 29)
Currently run a small horse breeding farm and train horses on the side
Also working part time as a Vet Tech

Letters of Reference:
My vet
The vet I worked for to complete my veterinary technicians degree
A Veterinary Medicine professor in Costa Rica
The vet I currently work for
The vet who taught the Equine Reproduction courses
The professor who taught the Equine Spine/Pelvic course

My weak points:
I did not attend high school. My formal childhood education stopped after 7th grade. I finally went in and got my GED when I was 29. Will this completely kill my chances?

While I am stable personally, I do have two children under school age. I don't know if this matter to them or not. My husband works from home, so child care is not a problem.

Once you take your GRE it will be much easier to let you know where you may stand.

By "Colorado State is the closest school to [you]", do you mean you are a Colorado resident or will you be applying OOS still?

Getting your GED will NOT kill your chances. In fact there is another member that just got in this year who dropped out and got her GED. As long as you can spin it in a positive aspect it will help you stand out and show your perseverence. Having kids should have no affect on your application. You can chose to mention it, or not. When do you plan on taking your GRE?

Also, your GPA is good. Does that include all of the prerequisites needed to apply or is that for your tech degree? Just curious how many pre-reqs you have completed to attribute to your GPA.

Once you take your GRE it will be much easier to let you know where you may stand.

By "Colorado State is the closest school to [you]", do you mean you are a Colorado resident or will you be applying OOS still?

Getting your GED will NOT kill your chances. In fact there is another member that just got in this year who dropped out and got her GED. As long as you can spin it in a positive aspect it will help you stand out and show your perseverence. Having kids should have no affect on your application. You can chose to mention it, or not. When do you plan on taking your GRE?

Also, your GPA is good. Does that include all of the prerequisites needed to apply or is that for your tech degree? Just curious how many pre-reqs you have completed to attribute to your GPA.

I live in Montana, so I would be OOS. I was planning on taking the GRE next month. The GPA includes all of the prerequisites required for CSU. :D I'm actually done with those!!

Thank you for the feedback.

A question, how much animal experience should I mention? I mean, I know some advice is to mention every time you have ever touched an animal. Does this include your own? If so...that will take volumes. I've done physical therapy work and starving critter rehab in Central America (this is mentioned in the letter from the Costa Rica vet professor) and a little bit in Europe...do I list all of this? Do I include things like horse training?

Thanks!

I live in Montana, so I would be OOS. I was planning on taking the GRE next month. The GPA includes all of the prerequisites required for CSU. :D I'm actually done with those!!

A question, how much animal experience should I mention? I mean, I know some advice is to mention every time you have ever touched an animal. Does this include your own? If so...that will take volumes. I've done physical therapy work and starving critter rehab in Central America (this is mentioned in the letter from the Costa Rica vet professor) and a little bit in Europe...do I list all of this? Do I include things like horse training?

Thanks!

I'd ask CSU what their take is on pet ownership. Some schools allow it, others will only let you count it if your involved in breeding, showing ,etc.

And for CSU, they say the average accepted applicant has over 1000 vet hours and 1000 animal experience hours. As long as your GRE score ends up being above average, I would think you have a chance based on what you've listed. They are difficult to get into as an OOS applicant though.

I'd ask CSU what their take is on pet ownership. Some schools allow it, others will only let you count it if your involved in breeding, showing ,etc.

And for CSU, they say the average accepted applicant has over 1000 vet hours and 1000 animal experience hours. As long as your GRE score ends up being above average, I would think you have a chance based on what you've listed. They are difficult to get into as an OOS applicant though.

ooo but I just remembered!!!.... They take 7 "underpriviledged" applicants a year into the VetPrep program. Basically you go through the Vet Prep program for a year, and then you are guaranteed an IS spot (big $$$$$ saver :D) in the next year's vet school class. I was offered it this year, and with your GED background, you may be considered an "underpriviledged applicant". :thumbup::thumbup:

ooo but I just remembered!!!.... They take 7 "underpriviledged" applicants a year into the VetPrep program. Basically you go through the Vet Prep program for a year, and then you are guaranteed an IS spot (big $$$$$ saver :D) in the next year's vet school class. I was offered it this year, and with your GED background, you may be considered an "underpriviledged applicant". :thumbup::thumbup:

This is true. And you just pay OOS tuition for that vet prep year, right?

This is true. And you just pay OOS tuition for that vet prep year, right?

Yep, and it's not too terrible since it's undergrad pricing. About $8K for the year. Let me try and find my email and I will PM you with more info Elfin!

Thanks!

The "underprivileged" thing sounds like a huge money-saver!

Other than that, you may want to consider other schools if you will be OOS. Some schools OOS tuition is MUCH MUCH cheaper than another school's OOS (or even IS, sometimes) tuition.

Is moving to a school "not closest to where you are now" really a big deal and a deal breaker for you?

Alright so I am freaking out and don't really know what my chances are. I am a very optimistic person but am also trying to be realistic just in case my dreams get crushed by not getting accepted. I would love input on schools that I would have better chances of getting in to. So lost when it comes to deciding which ones!

College: DePauw University (small, private, liberal arts)
Indiana Resident

GPA: 3.11
Major GPA (biology) 3.4
-- my last couple of semesters have drastically improved grade-wise (3.67 and 3.25)

GRE: N/A
But tend to be in 50th percentile in practice tests...so average

Experience:
Small animal: 4000+
(worked at pet store)

Vet experience (2 clinics and 3 veterinarians):
Small Animal: 1000+
Large Animal: 50ish hours

Feel free to ask any relevant questions

Do you have any strong eLORs set-up? Also, are you limited financially or for any other reason to staying in the US? If not, I would shoot for schools that tend to take lower GPAs like Western, Ross, or SGU. Unfortunately Ross an SGU are in the Caribbean, and are quite costly compared to an IS school; but they are AVMA accredited now so there is no problem practicing in the US after graduation =) Some people would rather apply a few times in the country to save the hassle of living in a new country and to save money. But me personally, I just want to be a vet as soon as possible (I have a 3.2 GPA) so I'll be applying to Ross this cycle as well as a few US schools.

One is on the board of the AVMA or whatever its called and he was also on the admissions board for Purdue. So he is pretty influential. I realize I am an average candidate and was planning on applying to one of the schools in the Caribbean but would prefer to stay in the US.

Alright everyone here we go...I can't believe I'm finally posting on this! I just took my GREs so I don't know my writing score yet, but I've heard it doesn't matter too much. Any advice would be appreciated! I only started earning hours 2 years ago because that's when I decided to be a pre-vet.

I'll be applying to Virginia-Maryland and to UPenn.

Maryland Resident
Planned B.A. in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology from Harvard
Planned Minor in Dramatic Arts

GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.49
Last 45 GPA: 3.70
GRE: 160 V, 160 Q, ??? W (score hasn't come yet)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Clinic in MD: 579 hours
Small Animal Clinic in MA: 143 hours
[Yet to come] Working with a wildlife vet in South Africa
[Yet to come] Taking an introductory vertebrate surgery class where I get to do surgeries on pigs by myself.

Research:
Cockatiel Research: 152 hours
(this will be my senior thesis next year)

Animal Experience:
Cat Shelter: 153 hours
Horseback Riding Student: 119 hours
Zoo in MA: 84 hours
Wildlife Rehabilitation: 29 hours

Lots of music/theatre/opera/piano/dance extra-curriculars.

Employment: 2 libraries, a paid choir, and a restaurant.

Strong eLORs from 2 vets and a professor with whom I do cockatiel surgery and research.

Alright so I am freaking out and don't really know what my chances are. I am a very optimistic person but am also trying to be realistic just in case my dreams get crushed by not getting accepted. I would love input on schools that I would have better chances of getting in to. So lost when it comes to deciding which ones!

College: DePauw University (small, private, liberal arts)
Indiana Resident

GPA: 3.11
Major GPA (biology) 3.4
-- my last couple of semesters have drastically improved grade-wise (3.67 and 3.25)

GRE: N/A
But tend to be in 50th percentile in practice tests...so average

Experience:
Small animal: 4000+
(worked at pet store)

Vet experience (2 clinics and 3 veterinarians):
Small Animal: 1000+
Large Animal: 50ish hours

Feel free to ask any relevant questions

I know it probably feels overwhelming right now. But there are a few things to realize: You can always apply again if you don't get in, and during that year off, you can early 1000-2000 more hours, increase your GPA, and increase your GRE. You can also earn maybe $20,000 during that year off that will help pay for school in the long run.

That being said, I would buy several GRE books and practice, practice, practice. You pretty much have to sit down and memorize hundreds of vocab. I know it sucks (I did it) but it will be worth it if you can raise your score.

Good luck, hun!

SoundofMusic, from what I see here, you're application definitely looks strong and well rounded. Your GPAs are good, good GRE, and you've got quite a bit of diverse experience. Your science GPA might be a hair low, but you've got enough other good things that I doubt it will be a problem. Do you think you might have a change to get some horse/food animal vet experience? That would help round out your application, although the wildlife stuff also adds variety.

When you say you'll be able to do pig surgeries by yourself... will this be supervised by a vet/health professional? I just think that might be a legal issue.... but I'm not sure.

Good luck! :)

Hi Guys :) Ok I have most of my stats settled down so I'll try posting here! Disclaimer: I realize my application is not superb, and I know that to fix it I really need to get more depth as well as breadth of veterinary experience, and a better eLOR from a vet. I'm mostly looking for - What are my chances? Does anyone know anyone who got in with similar stats? Or do I have no hope this cycle?

(All stats here will be at the time of application in October 2012)

California Resident (applying to Davis, but not Western)
B.S. in Biology from UCSD
Master of Arts in Education from Stanford University
(+teaching credential in Biology and Chemistry)

GPA: 3.42
All Science GPA: 3.45
Davis Science Pre-Req GPA: 3.13 :(
Last 45 GPA: 3.92 (including grad school and a little of undergrad)

GRE (old style): 640 V (92%), 740 Q (80%), 5.0 W (84%)

Veterinary Experience:
Volunteer at Emergency and Specialty Clinic: ~80 hours (SA)
Volunteer Internship abroad in India this summer: 300-400 hours (cattle, dogs, cats, goats, and a little wildlife)

Animal Experience:
Dog Shelter: 20 hours
Zoo Volunteer: 77 hours
Animal Center/Shelter: 41 hours (small exotics/avian care)
Horseback Riding Lessons: 6 hours (planned - every bit counts right?!)

Extra-Curriculars:
Hiking/5K jogging
Trained and taught karate for 14 years
Trained (competed a few times) in classical singing 8 years
Tutored high school students when I was in college

Employment:
2 years (soon to be 3 years) Full-time high school science teacher (It's been slow getting experiences while working full-time! Yes, non-trads? :)
Kaplan test prep teacher ~1 yr
After-school karate teacher ~2 yrs
Starbucks ~4 mths
Clothing retail ~3 mths

eLORs:
UCSD Bio Professor (very strong letter)
Science Dept Chair at the high school I teach at (very strong letter)
Vet Letter: (probably not as strong since both experiences have been pretty short)
- Vet at SA emergency clinic I volunteer with OR...
- Vet in India I will work with

Personal Statement:
Will not write until after my experience in India. I plan on focusing on what I have seen in my experiences, as well as how my experience in teaching high school science spins positively into skills for being a veterinarian. (Also, I always wanted to be a vet, but didn't have the guts to try until I went into a teaching career and discovered I don't love it, and the only career I want to have is the one that I love.)

Last edited:
Hi Guys :) Ok I have most of my stats settled down so I'll try posting here! Disclaimer: I realize my application is not superb, and I know that to fix it I really need to get more depth as well as breadth of veterinary experience, and a better eLOR from a vet. I'm mostly looking for - What are my chances? Does anyone know anyone who got in with similar stats? Or do I have no hope this cycle?

(All stats here will be at the time of application in October 2012)

California Resident (applying to Davis, but not Western)
B.S. in Biology from UCSD
Master of Arts in Education from Stanford University
(+teaching credential in Biology and Chemistry)

GPA: 3.42
All Science GPA: 3.45
Davis Science Pre-Req GPA: 3.13 :(
Last 45 GPA: 3.92 (including grad school and a little of undergrad)

GRE (old style): 640 V (92%), 740 Q (80%), 5.0 W (84%)

You definitely have a chance. :) Check out the Successful Applicants Stats page:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880261

Here are some highlights of some of the 'lower' applicants (I focused on 3.1-3.2ish science GPA and cumulative GPA, just because that's your low range):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12082583&postcount=83
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12148802&postcount=96
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12172689&postcount=128
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12153141&postcount=101
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12165878&postcount=121

I stopped there, because that gives you a good start. :) Of course, if you just want to browse the stats page, you'll find all these and more. This is up to page....3 or 4, maybe.

You may want to look into applying elsewhere as well if you are financially/physically able to move OOS. Just to open up your options, since some of your GPA statistics (e.g., Davis' science calculation) are on the lower side (although, GREAT last 45! 3.9? Sweet.)

On another note: Your Davis science GPA isn't that fantastic, but your cumulative GPA, and all science GPA are still good. You could definitely get in with those stats to several places.

My cumulative GPA was 3.45 when I applied. For LSU, they calculated my 'required course' GPA to be 3.6ish. So it allll depends on how schools calculate their stuff. I think my GPA TAMU calculated was like 3.0. :( Jerks.

Are you going to apply elsewhere, too?

Do you have any strong eLORs set-up? Also, are you limited financially or for any other reason to staying in the US? If not, I would shoot for schools that tend to take lower GPAs like Western, Ross, or SGU.

I had around a 3.4 when I applied and Illinois and VMR both took me. =) SGU, Western, and Ross are good schools, but if there's a state school you want to go to, don't not apply because you're concerned about your GPA being too low!

I'll be applying to Virginia-Maryland and to UPenn.

:thumbup: VMR likes research a lot, so I'd definitely play that up in your application. Having your research prof as an eLOR will definitely help you. Hope to see you next year! =)

Your Davis science GPA isn't that fantastic, but your cumulative GPA, and all science GPA are still good.

It's already been a while since I've applied, so my application factoids are a bit rusty, but I don't think Davis looks at a science-specific GPA - just cumulative and last 45. But please double check this! Regardless, they are going to focus on the pre-req classes . . .

@hopeful - I only suggested that because of the OP's cum GPA. To the OP- definitely still apply to the US schools that you have your eye on! Some schools concentrate more on sGPA or last 45 GPA rather than cGPAs. That would work particularly in your favor. I only suggested the other schools (Western being in California, btw. And the others in the Caribbean) if you were in a situation where getting into school was more important than getting into school in the US. For some people it matters, and for some it doesn't!

Thanks so much for linking to these!! Its really helpful for those of us that have less than stellar GPAs to find encouragement like these posts! I especially like to go through and see where everyone applied and was interviewed so I can figure out where I should apply.

Thanks so much for linking to these!! Its really helpful for those of us that have less than stellar GPAs to find encouragement like these posts! I especially like to go through and see where everyone applied and was interviewed so I can figure out where I should apply.

:thumbup:;)

Yes, Thanks guys! The other schools that appeal to me right now are... UPenn, Tufts, Colorado, and Washington State. I will definitely be checking out those successful applicants...

I thought I saw somewhere that Davis asks for a pre-req GPA, but I could be wrong! I will definitely double check!

Last question for a first-time applicant... How/When will I know accurately how each individual school calculates the GPA? (For example, LSU at 3.6 and TAMU at 3.0?) Do they all say exactly how they calculate it on their individual websites, or is it listed on their supplementals... or will I not know for sure until after I turn in the applications?

Thanks for the responses! You guys are helpful!

Last question for a first-time applicant... How/When will I know accurately how each individual school calculates the GPA? (For example, LSU at 3.6 and TAMU at 3.0?) Do they all say exactly how they calculate it on their individual websites, or is it listed on their supplementals... or will I not know for sure until after I turn in the applications?

For LSU, specifically, they are a little weird. They calculate all the required courses, then if you have an A in another credible science class that was NOT required, they throw that in, too, to boost your GPA.

I didn't know my calculation of LSU's version of my GPA until later in January. We got interview invites in the first week of February.

I think TAMU's calculation is pretty straightforward, but I suck at calculating my own GPA because I end up missing something or counting something that didn't actually go into the calculations, etc. I got my "thanks but no thanks" letter from them just before Christmas.

I don't know that Oklahoma ever actually said what they calculated mine to be. I just got a letter saying I was on the waitlist.

I'm sure you could call whoever and ask exactly how they calculate your various GPAs/what classes are included. But LSU couldn't answer that until they saw my transcripts, since they'd have to figure out what classes qualified as counting additionally towards the required course GPA.

Dig? :)

SoundofMusic, from what I see here, you're application definitely looks strong and well rounded. Your GPAs are good, good GRE, and you've got quite a bit of diverse experience. Your science GPA might be a hair low, but you've got enough other good things that I doubt it will be a problem. Do you think you might have a change to get some horse/food animal vet experience? That would help round out your application, although the wildlife stuff also adds variety.

When you say you'll be able to do pig surgeries by yourself... will this be supervised by a vet/health professional? I just think that might be a legal issue.... but I'm not sure.

Good luck! :)

Yep, when i say I'm doing pig surgeries by myself, that means that a vet will be looking over my shoulder during the class. Also, these are terminal surgeries since we are technically not trained surgeons.

I would have loved to get some food animal experience, but I have no idea how to get it before my application is due. I go to school in Cambridge, which means that there aren't really farms nearby that I could access via public transportation. I did have about a year of horseback riding lessons, but this doesn't hold a candle to what some others have. Suggestions?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and finally post on here. I decided about going to vet school less than 1 year ago (crazy I know), so I'm definitely trying to make up for all the hours I don't have!

22 year old, Female

Resident: RI (probably one of the only ones on here...no contract schools...of course)
B.S. in Biological Sciences from University of Connecticut
Minor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

GPA: 3.777; Science GPA: about 3.7 (?); Last 45: about 3.85ish
Old GRE (taking the new in August): 530 V 650 Q 5.0 W (I loathe standardized tests)

Vet Experience:
20 hours shadowing SA vet
40 hours interning with mixed animal vet
Currently starting to work part time with same SA vet I shadowed, while shadowing him on the side. Hoping to get about a couple hundred more hours. I also might pick up another part time job as a vet assistant/receptionist at another clinic.

Animal Experience:
190 hours interning at a zoo (exotics, goats, pigs, etc)
30 hours working and performing surgery on rats in class
about 150 hours working in an amphibian lab doing research (might just be considered as research)
about 100 hours working in a snake lab (again might just be research experience)
I'm also looking to volunteer at a horse rescue in my state a few hours a week once I know my work schedule

Extra Curriculars/ awards
Graduated magna cum laude
Pre vet club member
comedy committee for 3 years (marketing chair for 1)
concert committee for 1 semester
Frisbee team for 1 semester (got injured so I had to stop)
Deans list every semester but 2
member of Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society
Member of Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
2011 New England Scholar

Other Employment:
University Library 1 year
Retail ~4 months in hs

eLORs (I havent figured them all out yet but I have a few options):
one from the vet I shadowed last summer and am working for again
one from the vet I interned with during the school year at his clinic
one from a research professor I worked for
one from the pre-vet advisor/my professor for laboratory animal science
one from my boss at the zoo

Personal Statement:
I havent figured it all out yet but I wanted to write about how there were two moments in my life that helped guide my vet career. One was when I realized I could be a vet after performing surgery on rats and me not passing out or vomiting haha (at this point I still didnt want to be a vet). And the other was when I realized I wanted to be a vet when I had to do a house call to put down a family's chocolate lab. The way the vet I worked for handled the situation was amazing and it was an experience I will never forget.

I'm super nervous about applying because like I said I've only been considering vet school for less than a year (summer leading into senior year) and I'm also at a disadvantage being from RI, where there is no vet school or contract schools (fml). I know my hours are low but I'm really trying to increase them as much as possible. I'm welcome to any advice anyone has to offer me! Esp about where to apply since I'm not sure what school would be best with my stats. THANKS!

Last edited:
McGovernator: First off hi fellow Rhode Islander! (I feel your pain on the no state, no contract front!)
I think if you continue to gain some more vet hours you have a decent chance. You at least have a good variety of experiences even if your hours are low. If your reptile research was conducted under a phd you may be able to consider it veterinary experience which would be fantastic. Any idea what area you would want to go into? It may help to focus on that. Also wouldn't hurt to improve your GRE's a little too, so hopefully you'll do well when you take that again later.
Good luck! It's nice to see someone else from little ole Rhody on here!

McGovernator: First off hi fellow Rhode Islander! (I feel your pain on the no state, no contract front!)
I think if you continue to gain some more vet hours you have a decent chance. You at least have a good variety of experiences even if your hours are low. If your reptile research was conducted under a phd you may be able to consider it veterinary experience which would be fantastic. Any idea what area you would want to go into? It may help to focus on that. Also wouldn't hurt to improve your GRE's a little too, so hopefully you'll do well when you take that again later.
Good luck! It's nice to see someone else from little ole Rhody on here!

It actually was conducted under a PhD! I'll have to look into seeing if it counts! Thanks! And right now I think I wanted to do SA but I am also interested in public health so that is always an option. And I know I definitely need to boost my GRE scores...ughhh I hate that test so much! haha thanks for all the help! I can't believe I found someone else from RI haha

I would have loved to get some food animal experience, but I have no idea how to get it before my application is due. I go to school in Cambridge, which means that there aren't really farms nearby that I could access via public transportation. I did have about a year of horseback riding lessons, but this doesn't hold a candle to what some others have. Suggestions?

I would say at this point, unless you have several full days you could devote to it, LA experience is not going to be worth it in your situation. I ended up needing to ship myself out for a summer and a semester off to texas to get that experience because it really is difficult in the Boston area without a car.

But there are other things you can try instead. There's something to be said for diversity of experience, even if it doesn't involve food animals. Just blast off contacts and be persistent about it until you hear a "no" from some of these places (email the vet, if not response, email the manager, if still no response make a visit, etc...), but there are things you definitely can do in Cambridge/Boston that's accessible with public transport. Franklin Park Zoo (Zoo New England) is accessible via the orange line + bus. NE aquarium with the blue line. Or how about lab animal? Not sure how amenable they will be to a pre-vet shadow (just getting the permissions to walk into the facility can sometimes be a challenge), but there are lab animal facilities galore in the area. I've heard great things about MIT's Division of Comparative Medicine. Or even experience with a specialty even in SA might help you out a bit. Yeah, it's a trek to go all the way out on the green line (bleh), but you might be able to hook up with a specialist at the VCA in Brookline or Angell to shadow. Commuting is a drag, but trust me, especially come interview time, adcoms will recognize your devotion to trying even if you don't get too many hours.

But at the same time, there are a ton of people who have been in the "too hard to get too varied an experience" category and have done fine, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if you can't. What matters most imo is the quality of experience and what you can say about them.

Hi guys. So I am super excited about applying this cycle, but beginning to feel a little anxious about my stats. I am applying to Davis, Oregon, Western and Oklahoma (the ones that I am certain I will apply to) as they seem to be forgiving about GPA and more experienced focused. If you guys could give me ideas of where else I can apply based on my stats and what I can do to improve I would greatly appreciate it! And I am also considering a VSTP program since I love research and want to work in mouse genetics and a lab setting.

Also, I have yet to take the GRE, but I am taking a prep course and have been given another through the summer research program I am going through now. Anyway, here goes:

22 yr old male
college: UCLA
California resident

cum GPA: 3.10:(
science GPA: 3.477
last 68 units: 3.72

GREs: taking in the middle of August

Vet Hours
350+ as an intern for the Pasadena Humane Society (greatly enjoyed my experience)
60+ hours shadowing a lab/research veterinarian and attending IACUC meetings.
200 hours working in a re derivation lab for mice coming into campus.
20 hours working in a mixed animal clinic (small animal is not for me... the clinic sucked and really turned me off to the idea of working in the private sector). This veterinarian also tried to train me with horses. Really not for me.:(

Animal Hours
300+ hours working at the Pasadena Humane Society
500+ hours assisting the mouse technician of an on-campus lab (it was also a work study position)
100 hours running the mouse colony myself (the tech ended up quitting... it was a difficult lab)

Research
1000+ hours
Currently, working on my own mouse genetics project trying to identify an inflammatory enhancer gene(s) in a congenic strain of mouse.
I have been awarded two scholarships for my research and am currently participating in a summer research program. I have also won a prize for presenting my research.
Participated in a summer research program where I learned wet lab techniques after my first year.

Work
I worked in a movie theater during my senior year of high school up into my second year... Had to pay for school... :laugh:

Swing Dance Club member (sadly do not have the moves like Jagger)
Pre-Vet Club

eLOTR
One from my Primary Investigator
One from the lab veterinarian I worked with
One from a professor who I took a class (Cells, Tissues and Organs) with my second year and got a C+ in. I then took his animal physiology class last summer and got an A. I was hoping he could give a statement on my improvement since I got a 2.39 my first year...
One from a prof who I got close with and knows my research capabilities.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!!!

Last edited:
Hi guys. So I am super excited about applying this cycle, but beginning to feel a little anxious about my stats. I am applying to Davis, Oregon, Western and Oklahoma (the ones that I am certain I will apply to) as they seem to be forgiving about GPA and more experienced focused. If you guys could give me ideas of where else I can apply based on my stats and what I can do to improve I would greatly appreciate it! And I am also considering a VSTP program since I love research and want to work in mouse genetics and a lab setting.

Also, I have yet to take the GRE, but I am taking a prep course and have been given another through the summer research program I am going through now. Anyway, here goes:

22 yr old male
college: UCLA
California resident

cum GPA: 3.10:(
science GPA: 3.477
last 68 units: 3.72

GREs: taking in the middle of August

Vet Hours
350+ as an intern for the Pasadena Humane Society (greatly enjoyed my experience)
60+ hours shadowing a lab/research veterinarian and attending IACUC meetings.
200 hours working in a re derivation lab for mice coming into campus.
20 hours working in a mixed animal clinic (small animal is not for me... the clinic sucked and really turned me off to the idea of working in the private sector). This veterinarian also tried to train me with horses. Really not for me.:(

Animal Hours
300+ hours working at the Pasadena Humane Society
500+ hours assisting the mouse technician of an on-campus lab (it was also a work study position)
100 hours running the mouse colony myself (the tech ended up quitting... it was a difficult lab)

Research
1000+ hours
Currently, working on my own mouse genetics project trying to identify an inflammatory enhancer gene(s) in a congenic strain of mouse.
I have been awarded two scholarships for my research and am currently participating in a summer research program. I have also won a prize for presenting my research.
Participated in a summer research program where I learned wet lab techniques after my first year.

Work
I worked in a movie theater during my senior year of high school up into my second year... Had to pay for school... :laugh:

Swing Dance Club member (sadly do not have the moves like Jagger)
Pre-Vet Club

eLOTR
One from my Primary Investigator
One from the lab veterinarian I worked with
One from a professor who I took a class (Cells, Tissues and Organs) with my second year and got a C+ in. I then took his animal physiology class last summer and got an A. I was hoping he could give a statement on my improvement since I got a 2.39 my first year...
One from a prof who I got close with and knows my research capabilities.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!!!

I'm going to suggest you get some more hours of clinical experience. Even though you had the bad experience at the mixed animal place and you know you want to be in a lab setting, I think 20 hours is going to look like very little. And your reaction to practice makes me wonder how you're going to handle 4th year of school...

Your research experience sounds solid.

You'll definitely want to do very well on the GRE.

Ididgapony, you're going to have to be able to explain why vet med and not a PhD. From what you've posted that might be a hard sell based on your experiences and career aspirations. It's one thing to say you want to become a clinical vet researcher or pathologist, but I don't see how a Dvm will help you at all with mouse genetics... If you can get funded it's one thing (though 4 years of vet school learning things that won't help you much is time/effort costly), but VSTP programs are super competitive too. With a DVM alone, you most likely will not be able to land a mouse genetics research job (or genetic research in general). Why not collect a stipend and have your tuition paid with a PhD program in a reputable genetics lab?

Last edited:
I would say at this point, unless you have several full days you could devote to it, LA experience is not going to be worth it in your situation. I ended up needing to ship myself out for a summer and a semester off to texas to get that experience because it really is difficult in the Boston area without a car.

But there are other things you can try instead. There's something to be said for diversity of experience, even if it doesn't involve food animals. Just blast off contacts and be persistent about it until you hear a "no" from some of these places (email the vet, if not response, email the manager, if still no response make a visit, etc...), but there are things you definitely can do in Cambridge/Boston that's accessible with public transport. Franklin Park Zoo (Zoo New England) is accessible via the orange line + bus. NE aquarium with the blue line. Or how about lab animal? Not sure how amenable they will be to a pre-vet shadow (just getting the permissions to walk into the facility can sometimes be a challenge), but there are lab animal facilities galore in the area. I've heard great things about MIT's Division of Comparative Medicine. Or even experience with a specialty even in SA might help you out a bit. Yeah, it's a trek to go all the way out on the green line (bleh), but you might be able to hook up with a specialist at the VCA in Brookline or Angell to shadow. Commuting is a drag, but trust me, especially come interview time, adcoms will recognize your devotion to trying even if you don't get too many hours.

But at the same time, there are a ton of people who have been in the "too hard to get too varied an experience" category and have done fine, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if you can't. What matters most imo is the quality of experience and what you can say about them.

Actually, I have already done a lot of the things you mentioned in Boston. I consider myself to be a master of public transportation :D. My friends think I'm weird because I know all of the bus lines. But thank you so much for the suggestions!

hi guys,

i am a new member who recently discovered this forum and i must say i am happy i found it. im 26 and my personal life has been rocky at best for the past 5 or so years. however ive had a love and passion for animals since i can remember..

i am returning to school this fall at a local community college and hope to complete an A.S. in mathematics/natural science before transfering to a 4 year institution to pursue a BA in biology. and then Id like to go on to vet school.

i know the road will be long and arduous however im optomistic and i honestly cannot see myself in any other profession..I'd like to dedicate all my time and energy in pursuit of my goals from here on in.

I am going to begin volunteering at the local SPCA 1 day a week and once I do this for a few months and after i complete a semester or two of school I plan to shadow at a vet hospital in my area.

any input from you guys would be appreciated as far as what I can do to improve my chances of eventually being accepted by a vet school either in the US or abroad. Ive heard good things about Murdoch and I would make the leap to move out to australia if i were to be accepted.

I've seen stats for several people who have been accepted to Oregon State, but they've been mostly OOS applicants. As an Oregon resident, I'd like to know where I stand. As I've announced all too many times recently, OSU will be the only school I apply to this cycle...

Anyway, I really didn't start getting my vet-related ish together until this past Thanksgiving. I'm doing everything I can this summer and plan to rack up many of my hours this summer (tech work, shadowing and volunteer/animal related experience).

I also plan to retake the GRE in August, and to be prepared this time around :laugh:

Here's what I have so far:

22 year old Female, Oregon resident, first time applicant
Double majoring in Ecology & Organismal Biology and French
cumGPA: 3.45ish
sciGPA: 3.2ish (I know, I know... I'm taking a term of physics this summer and I still have biochemistry and animal physiology this fall to try to rescue myself some)

GRE scores: 155V 152Q 4.5W

Employment:
- 300 hours in a wine wholesale warehouse. it is what it sounds like
- one summer working as a cheese counter person at a high-end gourmet grocery store
- one summer (~150 hours) as a chaperone/program assistant for college-aged international students visiting the US for the first time
- one academic term (~30 hours) as a peer mentor for new international students
- one academic year (~200 hours) as a computer lab attendant/technology assistant
- about 2 years (~800 hours) as a sound engineer/admin assistant for a student-run audio and events crew.
- 160 hours as a kennel attendant in a large emergency veterinary clinic
- 300 hours (and counting!) as a vet tech in a large emergency veterinary clinic this is my current job and i work about 25 hours per week

Volunteer work:
- one summer as an office person/shadower in a pediatric oncology clinic
- sporadic involvement (~50 hours) at a homeless shelter
- ~50 hours at a cat rescue (this was recent but I left because it was crazy and I didn't like the work environment or the coordinator)
- 25 hours (and counting - currently doing this) caring for animals on a toy ranch (we have everything, you name it: horses, cattle, riding steers, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits...)

Shadowing:
- 50 hours (and counting, still doing his about 8 hrs per week) shadowing a vet at the busy emergency clinic where I work. She actually has a history in large animal medicine, and has been provided me with lots of insightful info... I'm interested in pursuing cow stuff now and have been searching frantically for someone who will allow me to shadow them.
---> I've just asked the exotic specialist at the clinic if I can shadow her and will begin in early August.

Other stuff:
- I have my brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. I won't be able to get my black belt by the application due date, but I certainly plan on doing so before the next cycle :laugh:
- played goalkeeper on my high school's varsity soccer team all 4 years
- 2 years goalkeeper in club soccer
- I've ridden horses on and off for the better part of 3 years, both English and Western.
- I am fluent in French and have passed two exams administered by the French ministry of education that certify my proficiency
-AP scholar in high school blah blah.
- In high school I was crazy about drawing portraits. I think I'm pretty decent. I had my stuff on display at school once. Meh.

I may decide to include stuff about my family in my explanation statement. I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder when I was 13/14, have struggled tremendously with depression, and will likely get tested for ADHD this summer.
My elder brother has severe Asperger's syndrome, which has deeply affected my life. I ended up transferring colleges at the beginning of my senior year just to get some time away from my family and it's been... a rocky ride to say the least.

Okay everyone, give it to me straight! :laugh: :xf: :thumbup: Some days I look at all of my stats and want to cry and eat a tub of ice cream because I feel so hopeless and ashamed. I do have my optimistic days though, where I tell myself that it can only get better from here!

Last edited:
Some days I look at all of my stats and want to cry and eat a tub of ice cream because I feel so hopeless and ashamed. I do have my optimistic days though, where I tell myself that it can only get better from here!

Hello everyone!

I will be appying for the first time this summer and need a bit of advce. I worked at a SA practice for 2 years so I know I have enough hours accumulated for that but is it really that necessary to get LA hours as well??? And I happen to live in NY where all the farms are very far from me....can I possibly try something else like exotics or do they strickly want LA?

Hi, not sure if anyone has answered your question but I happened to see it so maybe I can help out.

I'm a first time applicant as well but from my understanding (based off of former applicants/vet students/ and school admissions) they want you to have large animal experience because it shows them that you have explored other areas of the field - despite the fact that you live in a city. I go to school in a rural area but when I'm home for the summer (in the Chicago-area) the farms are further out and I had trouble getting LA vet experience. I did however manage to find a vet who was 50 miles out and took me out on farm calls often. I went out to him about once or twice a week for a whole summer. Paying the gas for it sucked but I guess you do what you gotta do. My friend who lived downtown Chicago for school drove 100 miles one way just to get large animal experience. He got into vet school even though he didn't have that much LA experience.

Maybe call around and see if you can find one nearby (they might be closer than you think). And I don't think you need to have a TON of LA hours, but try to get as many as you can. Depends on where you want to apply.

Working in exotics is good as well. It is good to diversify. Having exotics and SA will be better than just SA alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.