This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I posted here last year but decided to hold off on applying until this coming summer so that I could work on boosting my GPA and filling in the gaps in my veterinary experience, so my plan has changed a bit. I'd be really interested in how you all think I could best spend my free time in order to make my application more appealing. I'm also very open to suggestions about where to apply! I currently plan on applying to Davis, Western, Cornell, Ohio, Tufts, and.....?

23yo, CA resident, 1st time applicant, mostly interested in lab animal med and behavior
Academics:
Graduated c/o 2012 UCLA
Major: Integrative Biology and Physiology; Minor: English
cGPA: 3.206 :thumbdown:
sGPA: Depends on how I calculate it, but probably a bit lower than cGPA :( . I'm currently retaking Organic Chem II and am taking Microbio for the first time. I'm also planning on taking Stats and maybe Animal Science/Animal Nutrition in the near future.
Last 45: 3.45ish
GRE: 167V, 165Q, 4.5A

All these hours are the approximate number I'll have at the time of application.
Research Experience:
-4000+hrs paid neurobehavior research with mice (includes surgeries, injections, euthanasia, and treating sick animals; I might split some of these hours off and list them under vet experience)
-500 hrs unpaid research in an animal cognition laboratory with pigeons, rats and hermit crabs
-100hrs TA for an animal cognition lab class working with rats
-50hrs MRI analysis for a neuro lab
-200hrs public health research about needle exchanges and HIV

Veterinary Experience:
-20hrs SA shadowing
-8hrs shadowing at a feline only practice
-8hrs shadowing at an equine sports medicine facility
-50hrs SA vaccine clinics
-200hrs vet tech volunteer at a city shelter
-100hrs volunteering for a veterinary behaviorist

Animal Experience:
-4 months fostering dogs deemed unadoptable due to failing their in-shelter behavioral evals
-50hrs paid petsitting
-100hrs shelter volunteer - dog walking and cat socialization
-6years of 4H with rabbits both as a member and a leader
-10hrs volunteering at marine mammal center (really wanted to make this a regular thing, but I couldn't make the shifts that they had open work with my work schedule)
-Lots of pet experience? I'm not going to list that though

Human Medical Experience:
-100hrs clinic assistant
-50hrs volunteer for a outpatient pediatric psych program
-EMT certified (just for fun!)

Non-Research Work Experience:
-7.5 years as a lifeguard and WSI (2 of those years as a pool manager)
-7 years as a private tutor for various companies

Other:
-held multiple leadership positions in 4H (secretary, VP, President)
-recipient of multiple scholarships/awards in highschool/early college
-was in tutoring/community service related clubs in college, but wasn't super involved
-volunteer as a tidepool "docent" helping with research (counting algae/anenomes/whatnot) and showing people how to find cool things in the tidepools without destroying too much habitat or killing anything

I work full time (plus frequent overtime and weekends) so putting in lots of hours at one clinic is a bit of a struggle, but I currently volunteer with the shelter vet on Saturdays and I work with the behaviorist whenever she has Sunday classes/consults or whenever I can take a day or two off work (she's up in Davis and I live in San Francisco). I hope to have a few more large animal hours by the time I apply but other than that I don't know whether I should be focusing on getting more hours in the same places I have already been volunteering/shadowing or if I should try to branch out and get a few hours here and there at other clinics or in different specialties. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I posted here last year but decided to hold off on applying until this coming summer so that I could work on boosting my GPA and filling in the gaps in my veterinary experience, so my plan has changed a bit. I'd be really interested in how you all think I could best spend my free time in order to make my application more appealing. I'm also very open to suggestions about where to apply! I currently plan on applying to Davis, Western, Cornell, Ohio, Tufts, and.....?

23yo, CA resident, 1st time applicant, mostly interested in lab animal med and behavior
Academics:
Graduated c/o 2012 UCLA
Major: Integrative Biology and Physiology; Minor: English
cGPA: 3.206 :thumbdown:
sGPA: Depends on how I calculate it, but probably a bit lower than cGPA :( . I'm currently retaking Organic Chem II and am taking Microbio for the first time. I'm also planning on taking Stats and maybe Animal Science/Animal Nutrition in the near future.
Last 45: 3.45ish
GRE: 167V, 165Q, 4.5A

All these hours are the approximate number I'll have at the time of application.
Research Experience:
-4000+hrs paid neurobehavior research with mice (includes surgeries, injections, euthanasia, and treating sick animals; I might split some of these hours off and list them under vet experience)
-500 hrs unpaid research in an animal cognition laboratory with pigeons, rats and hermit crabs
-100hrs TA for an animal cognition lab class working with rats
-50hrs MRI analysis for a neuro lab
-200hrs public health research about needle exchanges and HIV

Veterinary Experience:
-20hrs SA shadowing
-8hrs shadowing at a feline only practice
-8hrs shadowing at an equine sports medicine facility
-50hrs SA vaccine clinics
-200hrs vet tech volunteer at a city shelter
-100hrs volunteering for a veterinary behaviorist

Animal Experience:
-4 months fostering dogs deemed unadoptable due to failing their in-shelter behavioral evals
-50hrs paid petsitting
-100hrs shelter volunteer - dog walking and cat socialization
-6years of 4H with rabbits both as a member and a leader
-10hrs volunteering at marine mammal center (really wanted to make this a regular thing, but I couldn't make the shifts that they had open work with my work schedule)
-Lots of pet experience? I'm not going to list that though

Human Medical Experience:
-100hrs clinic assistant
-50hrs volunteer for a outpatient pediatric psych program
-EMT certified (just for fun!)

Non-Research Work Experience:
-7.5 years as a lifeguard and WSI (2 of those years as a pool manager)
-7 years as a private tutor for various companies

Other:
-held multiple leadership positions in 4H (secretary, VP, President)
-recipient of multiple scholarships/awards in highschool/early college
-was in tutoring/community service related clubs in college, but wasn't super involved
-volunteer as a tidepool "docent" helping with research (counting algae/anenomes/whatnot) and showing people how to find cool things in the tidepools without destroying too much habitat or killing anything

I work full time (plus frequent overtime and weekends) so putting in lots of hours at one clinic is a bit of a struggle, but I currently volunteer with the shelter vet on Saturdays and I work with the behaviorist whenever she has Sunday classes/consults or whenever I can take a day or two off work (she's up in Davis and I live in San Francisco). I hope to have a few more large animal hours by the time I apply but other than that I don't know whether I should be focusing on getting more hours in the same places I have already been volunteering/shadowing or if I should try to branch out and get a few hours here and there at other clinics or in different specialties. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think retaking any C or lower pre-reqs would be a good way to bring that GPA up and is probably a good bet since your last 45 is decent. It would also be good to consider some upper level science courses to show you've got your stuff together. Apply smartly and hopefully it shouldn't be all that big of an issue.

While your research experience is stellar and it supports your desire to go into lab animal and behavior, I think you could use a bit more veterinary experience. I think keeping up with your current plan of shadowing when you're able is best. While shadowing at different facilities can certainly be beneficial, I (personally) think it's probably better for you to stay at one or two places and cultivate relationships with those vets and maybe get a LOR from them.

Good luck! :)

I think...

Thanks for your input! I'm definitely trying to raise my GPA a bit with sciences and math, but since I took around 270 quarter units in undergrad my cumulative GPA probably isn't going to change much. My lowest grade was a C- in orgo II (hence the retake) and I'm pretty confident that I'll do much better this time around. I'm hoping the few classes that I'll be able to take prior to applications will help to nudge my last 45 GPA a bit higher and show schools that I am academically competent. I also have multiple LOR writers who are able and willing to comment on my academic ability in their letters, so hopefully that will help as well. Other than that I'm looking for schools that might focus on my GRE scores a bit more than GPA (I've been considering applying to Florida for that reason) since those scores are decent.

Good point about sticking with one or two places in hopes of a good relationship and potential LOR. I think I'll aim to spend most of my time with the shelter vet and behaviorist since I get the most hands on experience with those vets. And maybe try for a few more days with the equine and cat vets to show that I have an understanding of private practice as well. I'm honestly not a huge fan of shadowing though (I just feel so useless and in the way!), so I haven't been pushing too hard to make that a regular thing.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! I'm definitely trying to raise my GPA a bit with sciences and math, but since I took around 270 quarter units in undergrad my cumulative GPA probably isn't going to change much. My lowest grade was a C- in orgo II (hence the retake) and I'm pretty confident that I'll do much better this time around. I'm hoping the few classes that I'll be able to take prior to applications will help to nudge my last 45 GPA a bit higher and show schools that I am academically competent. I also have multiple LOR writers who are able and willing to comment on my academic ability in their letters, so hopefully that will help as well. Other than that I'm looking for schools that might focus on my GRE scores a bit more than GPA (I've been considering applying to Florida for that reason) since those scores are decent.

Good point about sticking with one or two places in hopes of a good relationship and potential LOR. I think I'll aim to spend most of my time with the shelter vet and behaviorist since I get the most hands on experience with those vets. And maybe try for a few more days with the equine and cat vets to show that I have an understanding of private practice as well. I'm honestly not a huge fan of shadowing though (I just feel so useless and in the way!), so I haven't been pushing too hard to make that a regular thing.

Thanks again!

Looks like your GRE scores would also put you in WSU's pool of "tier I" applicants. You might want to look into their program as well.

Hey guys! I'll be applying in the fall and I just wanted to get some advice on what I could do to improve my application with the time I have left. Thanks!

20, Female, FL resident, University of Pittsburgh undergrad

Majors – Biological Sciences and English Fiction Writing

Minors – Chemistry and English Literature

Graduating Spring 2015

I’ll have enough credits to get two separate degrees, a BS in Bio and a BA in Writing, which is exciting for me but may not mean anything to vet schools

Applying:

Florida, Penn, NCSU, UTK

Academics:
I started undergrad with 37 credits from AP/IB exams and have averaged 16 credits per semester
Cum GPA:3.7
Last 45:3.68 (this will obviously be different when I actually apply and will not include the semester where I got a C in organic chem 2)
Overall Science: 3.5
GRE:Taking in April

Experience:
Veterinary: 320

170 as a volunteer in clinic/surgery at two different shelters (this is ongoing ~6 hours/wk)

50 at a private practice small animal hospital

100 as a hospital intern at the National Aviary (also ongoing until May ~18 hours/wk)

Animal: 270

200 as a cat care/dog walking/foster volunteer at the same two shelters

65 as a keeper assistant at a zoo (split between mammal and bird areas)

5 at a wildlife rehab center

I'm also planning on applying for a 6 week internship at a wildlife sanctuary this summer, which will provide mostly animal experience but should provide some vet experience too.

Research:None

Awards:
Dean's list/honor roll for all but one semester so far

Not sure if we can even include awards prior to undergrad but:

Honors College Full Tuition Merit Scholarship

National Merit Semifinalist

International Baccalaureate Degree

AP Honors Scholar

Extracurricular activities:
Fiction writing:
This is my biggest extracurricular, and obviously my second major. So far I’ve had two short stories published in the last year and a half.

Book Clubs: I’ve been a member of both the SciFi and Dystopias book clubs here for multiple semesters

eLORS:
2 veterinarians (one from one of the shelters I’ve worked at for 2 years, one from the National Aviary)

1 science professor/advisor (haven’t decided who this will be yet)

1 literature professor (I’ve had 4 classes with him and he knows me better than anyone else here)

NCSU is extremely competitive for OOS. GPAs that are average at most schools are on the low end for them. Just because you meet the minimum doesn't mean you're competitive. And if I recall correctly they want you to have good solid vet experience (~300 hours I think) in three different areas. If you have a strong interest in going there, I would forgo your plans for the wildlife sanctuary this summer since you already have exotics/zoo experience and really concentrate on upping your SA vet hours and getting some LA/equine vet hours (not having any of that was a weakness in my app). As for Penn, well, I couldn't really tell you what they look for beyond the fact that I've heard the seem to prefer depth over breadth in experience, and they like it when you have research... other than that, they're kind of secretive and vague about their whole admissions process, which was part of the reason they were at the bottom of my "I want to go to--" list, despite being my IS school. Not that I want to turn you away. There are in fact plenty of people who like Penn. I just don't know any of them... (in real life, at least)

I think you'll have a pretty good chance at UF, especially given that it's your IS. I don't know anything about UTK. If I were you I'd look into adding a couple more schools to my list to improve my chances.

Have fun at the aviary!

I just wanted to second what dovelover said. I go to NCSU and we luckily have a very strong support system for pre-vets. And the "magic" numbers you hear are always 400 hours in 3 fields. (my own personal advisor recommended to up it to 4 fields just so it would be that much easier to get an acceptance) However I would say if you don't have 400 hours in 3 fields, that unlike some other schools who just concentrate on numbers they recommend diversity of experience because they want to know that you know it's like to be a vet not just a wildlife (or whatever) and they really like to see research (which counts as a field). And OOS is super competitive so just be aware, I believe the average GPA OOS is around 3.8-3.9. SO my recommendation for you if you're applying is to apply more broadly, but also to not do that internship but rather find an equine or LA vet to volunteer with and if it's feasible to do at the same time, do some research.
Good luck!

Okay everyone, I'm way too twitchy waiting to handle this. I swore I wouldn't do it, but I'm caving.

Animal Science major, Spanish minor
Overall GPA: 3.82
Last 45 GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req (for NCSU): 3.74

GRE: 158 V, 158 Q

Research:
575 hrs in colic research and in NSAID efficacy research -- paid

Animal Experience:
68 food animal (more now, but only since submitting VMCAS -- working with sheep and goats, probably an extra few hundred)
50 small animal
2500 equine -- working student, competitive rider, etc.

Clinical:
280 small animal
120 exotic/wildlife in India
300+ equine, most spent shadowing alongside 4th years, some in private practice

Extracurriculars:
APVMA treasurer
Pre Vet VP, Social Chair
Alpha Zeta
Honors Program
TA for Anatomy of domestic animals for a year
1 year employed by university housing

I way underestimated my hours, but I wouldn't be able to handle it if I thought I overshot, so I just went really safe.

eLORs:
Pre-vet advisor/professor with whom I TA'd/veterinarian (she's all of these...)
Employer/Veterinarian (who I both shadowed under and did my research with)
Equine veterinarian I shadowed

I applied equine focus and I applied to LSU, UTK, OhioSU, Auburn, and, surprise, NCSU. I really want NCSU, because it's my in-state.
it's not you.

grrr... this is horrible. must figure out handle.

I have been really thinking about applying to one of my choices this fall, Glasgow. They don't require the GRE and I already have all the pre-reqs done. I am really nervous though because I feel like my stats just aren't that great and I would be wasting my time and theirs. So I would like some opinions.

Major: Bio
Minor: Chem

GPA: 3.54
Science: 3.62 (not sure about this number this is what the VMCAS has for bio/chem/physics/life sciences)
Last 45: 3.84

Animal Experience:
~3000 hrs small animal shelter (walking dogs)
~1500 hrs at a dog daycare (paid employment)

Vet Experience:
~160 hrs small animal clinic
~1500 hrs shelter medicine
~2000 hrs Trap and neuter clinic
~100 hrs going to Native American Reservations and Spaying and Neutering Dogs and Cats

Employment:
~ McDonald's - 6 months

~ Work Study in the Organic Chemistry Department- 3 yrs

Awards and Honors:
~Provost's Honor Roll
~ Medical Volunteer of the Year 2013 at the Feline Fix

I really lack in the varied experience area and my grades are horrible. I am really looking for brutal honesty, because our pre-vet adviser at school is just too nice and tells everyone they should apply even if they don't have the experience or grades.

So I applied to Glasgow this year and was interviewed but was rejected after the interview. I have asked for a file review but haven't heard anything back yet. I will probably email Joyce again this weekend.

All the stuff in red is where I currently stand now. I have really increased my vet hours but still have no variation. I am going to approve on that by volunteering at a horse rescue, shadowing a LA vet, and I am looking into shadowing a lab vet. I am also looking into doing some research. I have the GRE scheduled for March. I am currently retaking trig and gen chem I. to boost my gpa a little.

I am planning to apply again next cycle to: Oregon (OOS), CSU (IS) Washington (OOS), Tufts (OOS), Missouri (OOS), Glasgow (OOS), and Edinburgh (OOS).

I am looking for any more ideas on how to improve my application. Thanks!

Looks like your GRE scores would also put you in WSU's pool of "tier I" applicants. You might want to look into their program as well.

Thanks for the heads-up! I have looked into Washington and am considering applying there but the cost of OOS tuition really gives me pause. But it is definitely still an option.

I just realized that Washington is one of those wonderful schools that lets OOS students become residents for tuition purposes after the first year. Thanks for the suggestion ComfyCat!

Last edited:
So I applied to Glasgow this year and was interviewed but was rejected after the interview. I have asked for a file review but haven't heard anything back yet. I will probably email Joyce again this weekend.

All the stuff in red is where I currently stand now. I have really increased my vet hours but still have no variation. I am going to approve on that by volunteering at a horse rescue, shadowing a LA vet, and I am looking into shadowing a lab vet. I am also looking into doing some research. I have the GRE scheduled for March. I am currently retaking trig and gen chem I. to boost my gpa a little.

I am planning to apply again next cycle to: Oregon (OOS), CSU (IS) Washington (OOS), Tufts (OOS), Missouri (OOS), Glasgow (OOS), and Edinburgh (OOS).

It seems as though you already are aware of this, but the lack of diversity in your experience is what really sticks out to me. Getting some large animal and/or exotics will definitely help round out your application. Best of luck!

Honestly, it looks pretty good. You could use more large animal vet experience (unless the horse rescue has a vet, I'd put it last on my list) and the research would look good. Make sure your letters and PS are rock solid.

I'd also apply to places that like last 45 like Minnesota and KSU.

Hey everyone! As is the theme of this thread, I was wondering if anyone could lend me some input on my future vet school application chances.

25 y/o (soon to be 26 and beating off a quarter-life crisis with a stick) female. Class of 2010 college grad. NY resident.

Academics (aka - the area in need of improvement):

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: Biology, Psychology

cummulative GPA: 3.1
science GPA: 2.687 (eek...)

Veterinary Experience:
May 2007 - Aug. 2007 - Assistant at a SA feline exclusive vet clinic ( ~220 hours )
Jan 2009- May 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA hospital ( ~ 80 hours)
Sept. 2009-Dec. 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA emergency hospital ( ~70 hours)
Jan. 2010 - May 2010 - Interned once a week at an Equine hospital on call with their ambulatory service ( ~175 hours)
July 2011 - present - Working as an assistant in a SA/exotics/occassional wildlife rehab veterinary hospital (5,000 + hours)

LOR:
-1 former professor who I've had for three undergrad classes and who knows me well
-my pre-health advisor
-3 from the SA vets I've worked with for the past 2.5 years and who I have amazing relationships with

Extracurriculars:
-Phi Delta Epsilon medical club (2006-2008)
-American Chemical Society (2008-2009)

GRE:
Haven't taken it yet. Plan to take it this summer.
Any helpful hints on how to approach that beast? I'm most concerned with the math section. My verbal/writing is pretty strong, I feel. Though, I could just be luring myself into a false sense of comfort. I have purchased a Kaplan review book and plan to go through it a little each night.

I know the "academic" area is my weakest. Yet, I want to improve it in a meaningful way. I've retaken some undergrad classes in the past to boost things, but have been told that even with the improved grades factored into my GPA, grad schools will still calculate in the prior grades, which will lower things, further. I would expect grad schools to look at all the grades of all the classes that one has taken, but it disheartens me to think that even if I performed poorly in a class the first time around and managed to improve on the second try, that I would still be crippled by the first attempt. Thus, my advisor has actually told me that retaking classes wouldn't do anything to better my chances. Which has left me feeling stuck and a little lost.

Lately, I've been researching masters programs to see if I could find any that would allow me to potentially work as an RA (preferably) or a TA to waive tuition costs and concurrently help show vet schools that I am able to manage their demanding courseload. It would also afford me a chance to add research to my resume. Would this route be helpful? Do you think retaking classes, at the undergrad level, that I didn't do well in before would be a better use of time/money? My main struggle with the master's route is that I would be using it as a stepping stone for vet school, which is all well and good if it helps and I get in, afterwards. However, if I do not, I'd be conflicted as to what to do with that degree. Anyone been in a similar position or have any thoughts? I don't want to throw money at an extra degree that I technically wouldn't even need to get into vet school. But, I also don't want to throw money applying to vet schools before I believe I have a realistic shot at getting in.

Being a NY resident, Cornell would be ideal given in-state tuition options. Not to mention that their facilities, which I have toured twice, are absolutely amazing! However, successfully getting into vet school is a trial in and of itself. And with Cornell being continuously ranked #1 amongst the schools, they are NOT messing around. I've spoken to students who have attended Ross and St. George's. And a couple of my bosses have even gotten their training there, so I know that they turn out AMAZING vets! But, I don't know (from what I've heard) that I would feel entirely comfortable living on the islands. I've effectively been promised that, as a student there, my dorm would be broken into and I would be followed to campus, frequently. In addition to that, those schools are quite expensive. I know that vet schools are insanely expensive across the board. But, if my school allowed, I would attempt to take up residency in their state to help decrease costs while in school. There's also the added expenses of travel/shipping supplies with the island schools. It's just a lot to think about...and my college advisor hasn't really been the best at getting back to me and stearing me through these decisions, so I've been kind of alone in all of this...

So, after all that...any help? :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! As is the theme of this thread, I was wondering if anyone could lend me some input on my future vet school application chances.

25 y/o (soon to be 26 and beating off a quarter-life crisis with a stick) female. Class of 2010 college grad. NY resident.

Veterinary Experience:
May 2007 - Aug. 2007 - Assistant at a SA feline exclusive vet clinic ( ~220 hours )
Sept. 2009-Dec. 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA emergency hospital ( ~70 hours)
Jan. 2010 - May 2010 - Interned once a week at an Equine hospital on call with their ambulatory service ( ~175 hours)
July 2011 - present - Working as an assistant in a SA/exotics/occassional wildlife rehab veterinary hospital (5,000 + hours)

LOR:
-1 former professor who I've had for three undergrad classes and who knows me well
-my pre-health advisor
-3 from the SA vets I've worked with for the past 2.5 years and who I have amazing relationships with

Extracurriculars:

GRE:
Any helpful hints on how to approach that beast? I'm most concerned with the math section. My verbal/writing is pretty strong, I feel. Though, I could just be luring myself into a false sense of comfort. I have purchased a Kaplan review book and plan to go through it a little each night.

I know the "academic" area is my weakest. Yet, I want to improve it in a meaningful way. I've retaken some undergrad classes in the past to boost things, but have been told that even with the improved grades factored into my GPA, grad schools will still calculate in the prior grades, which will lower things, further. I would expect grad schools to look at all the grades of all the classes that one has taken, but it disheartens me to think that even if I performed poorly in a class the first time around and managed to improve on the second try, that I would still be crippled by the first attempt. Thus, my advisor has actually told me that retaking classes wouldn't do anything to better my chances. Which has left me feeling stuck and a little lost.

Lately, I've been researching masters programs to see if I could find any that would allow me to potentially work as an RA (preferably) or a TA to waive tuition costs and concurrently help show vet schools that I am able to manage their demanding courseload. It would also afford me a chance to add research to my resume. Would this route be helpful? Do you think retaking classes, at the undergrad level, that I didn't do well in before would be a better use of time/money? My main struggle with the master's route is that I would be using it as a stepping stone for vet school, which is all well and good if it helps and I get in, afterwards. However, if I do not, I'd be conflicted as to what to do with that degree. Anyone been in a similar position or have any thoughts? I don't want to throw money at an extra degree that I technically wouldn't even need to get into vet school. But, I also don't want to throw money applying to vet schools before I believe I have a realistic shot at getting in.

Being a NY resident, Cornell would be ideal given in-state tuition options. Not to mention that their facilities, which I have toured twice, are absolutely amazing! However, successfully getting into vet school is a trial in and of itself. And with Cornell being continuously ranked #1 amongst the schools, they are NOT messing around. I've spoken to students who have attended Ross and St. George's. And a couple of my bosses have even gotten their training there, so I know that they turn out AMAZING vets! But, I don't know (from what I've heard) that I would feel entirely comfortable living on the islands. I've effectively been promised that, as a student there, my dorm would be broken into and I would be followed to campus, frequently. In addition to that, those schools are quite expensive. I know that vet schools are insanely expensive across the board. But, if my school allowed, I would attempt to take up residency in their state to help decrease costs while in school. There's also the added expenses of travel/shipping supplies with the island schools. It's just a lot to think about...and my college advisor hasn't really been the best at getting back to me and stearing me through these decisions, so I've been kind of alone in all of this...

Thanks for reading!

With a lower GPA, it will help if you're selective about the schools you apply to (still apply to your in state though, even if it seems like a long shot... And don't worry too much about rankings). For example, if your most recent grades are strong, try to apply to schools that focus on last 45 semester GPA.

If you're planning to retake prerequisites (or if you already retook some), check out this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vet-schools-with-grade-forgiveness.1043102/

Veterinary Experience:

LOR:
-my pre-health advisor

Extracurriculars:

GRE:

Thanks for reading!
I second the trying to apply to schools that focus on last 45 GPAs, assuming your grades showed an upward trend. I know Minnesota's one, but I don't know the others off the top of my head. Different schools have different preferences when it comes to bad grades and retaking prereqs vs taking harder versions of classes. I'm pretty sure those things have been discussed in detail in other threads though, so I won't go into too much detail here. Sometimes the best course of action is to contact the schools and ask them what their policy on grades for repeated prereqs is and whether you can substitute an upper level course for a prereq (which can be looked upon better if they'll let you). Not all schools are the same, so don't just listen to the blanket statement from your advisor. I would start prepping for the GRE now and take it early, so that you have time to prep more and take it again if you have to.

The good news is, you've got a lot of hours of experience with some variety as well as depth. I'd do a lot of research into schools and see if you can pick out ones that really seem to like experience and perhaps are a bit more forgiving on the GPA side of things. There are people on these forums who gotten in with some pretty low GPAs, but it's not easy. It doesn't hurt to apply this year if you apply smartly. But if you don't get in, make sure you do file reviews, even if you think you know what they're going to tell you! In the end, you might really need to pursue a master's degree, or some sort of further education, to improve your GPA. If you choose wisely it wouldn't necessarily be useless once you get into vet school. A master in public health would actually be useful for you to have as a vet, and public health's all the rage in vet med right now. Do some research, you might find an interesting program, or something that would at least complement your future vet education, even if the degree itself isn't all that important for your career goals. It would be a good idea to apply to some this year along with your vet school application.

Lastly, I'd think long and hard about whether or not vet school's the right choice for you before you spend the money applying/retaking classes. Vet school's academically brutal, plain and simple. I don't know the reason behind your low GPA, so please don't think I'm saying just because you've got bad grades in the past that you won't be able to handle vet school. Just make sure you've thought about it. If you really want this, and push yourself to do what you need to do to improve your application, chances are that you'll get in eventually. But you really should have a conversation with yourself about just how far out of your way you want to go to get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks TheComfyCat and dovelover for taking the time to read and giving your advice!

And dovelover, no worries about the vet school reality honesty! I know that I won't be getting into vet schools on false comforts. If anything, getting into vet school is the easy part compared to the following four years! And I need the honesty of those who have been where I am now and who have made it in and made it through if I hope to have a shot at it myself. I've wanted to be a vet for my entire life, much like I feel many people in this forum have. My low GPA stems from personal faults beginning my sophomore year and really just going through the paces of undergrad when I was burnt out from aspects academic and not. I should have sought help or tutoring or any number of things that I didn't at the time. It's unfortunate, but it happened. And I'm in a better mindset now to take the next steps forward and do damage control. I contribute a lot of my renewed passion to being able to work in the field at a more frequent and in depth level. I'd lost the "why" behind the reasons for pushing myself through school, but it's finally back, now. And I'm older and have had events in recent years put life in perspective for me. In strange ways, being knocked off my original path of undergrad to straight into vet school has been the best thing for me. But, it's time to take the next step!

So, in taking the next step, I've considered the options of:
a.) a master's program (if I can find one that will help with tuition costs)
b.)retaking classes
c.)vet tech classes

The master's has its appeal for reasons I stated in my last post. Though, it could end up being an expensive investment that still may not yield vet school entrance options. With my undergrad GPA being what it is, even if I rocked a MA/MS program and prove I've improved, do you think vet schools would still hold the undergrad grades with those pre-requisite classes against me? Dovelover, you mentioned the possibility of an MPH. I've heard that they're becoming popular amoungst the vet world as well. However, do you think an MPH would be preferable to a MA/MS in Biology or Animal Science? My main goal would be to show vet schools that I have successfully completed higher level sciences than my undergrads and done well. Do you think an MPH would do that just as well as the others?

As for retaking clases; do you think retaking the science pre-requisites that I have Cs in would help? Or is it kind of pointless as my advisor once claimed? Having taken time off and feeling more mentally rested, I feel I could improve. I just don't know if that would be the best way to show that I am capable to vet schools vs. the masters route/another route. Retaking classes only for the VMCAS to refactor in the old grades with the new seems almost counter-productive. The last 45 credit hours is helpful and I will most certainly research those schools, but I don't know that it's something I'd like to limit my school choiced to exclusively. Cornell is my dream school. Though veterinary medicine in my life dream, so if another state school was a good fit for me, I certainly wouldn't pass it up!

As for the vet tech option, it'd be another stepping stone degree towards vet school for me. I wouldn't be content never trying for vet school. Thus, I'd still have to take my science pre-requisites for vet school over even if I did go for a vet tech degree, I'd assume.

So, I know it's a lot. Welcome to the mess that are my thoughts lately! Haha!

Any opinions on what you'd feel would be the best course of action and looked upon most favorably towards vet schools? Once again; thank you so much for reading and replying!

Hope you're fairing better in Snowmageddon than my state is! lol

Last edited:
Thanks TheComfyCat and dovelover for taking the time to read and giving your advice!

And dovelover, no worries about the vet school reality honesty! I know that I won't be getting into vet schools on false comforts. If anything, getting into vet school is the easy part compared to the following four years! And I need the honesty of those who have been where I am now and who have made it in and made it through if I hope to have a shot at it myself. I've wanted to be a vet for my entire life, much like I feel many people in this forum have. My low GPA stems from personal faults beginning my sophomore year and really just going through the paces of undergrad when I was burnt out from aspects academic and not. I should have sought help or tutoring or any number of things that I didn't at the time. It's unfortunate, but it happened. And I'm in a better mindset now to take the next steps forward and do damage control. I contribute a lot of my renewed passion to being able to work in the field at a more frequent and in depth level. I'd lost the "why" behind the reasons for pushing myself through school, but it's finally back, now. And I'm older and have had events in recent years put life in perspective for me. In strange ways, being knocked off my original path of undergrad to straight into vet school has been the best thing for me. But, it's time to take the next step!

b.)retaking classes
c.)vet tech classes

The master's has its appeal for reasons I stated in my last post. Though, it could end up being an expensive investment that still may not yield vet school entrance options. With my undergrad GPA being what it is, even if I rocked a MA/MS program and prove I've improved, do you think vet schools would still hold the undergrad grades with those pre-requisite classes against me? Dovelover, you mentioned the possibility of an MPH. I've heard that they're becoming popular amoungst the vet world as well. However, do you think an MPH would be preferable to a MA/MS in Biology or Animal Science? My main goal would be to show vet schools that I have successfully completed higher level sciences than my undergrads and done well. Do you think an MPH would do that just as well as the others?

As for retaking clases; do you think retaking the science pre-requisites that I have Cs in would help? Or is it kind of pointless as my advisor once claimed? Having taken time off and feeling more mentally rested, I feel I could improve. I just don't know if that would be the best way to show that I am capable to vet schools vs. the masters route/another route. Retaking classes only for the VMCAS to refactor in the old grades with the new seems almost counter-productive. The last 45 credit hours is helpful and I will most certainly research those schools, but I don't know that it's something I'd like to limit my school choiced to exclusively. Cornell is my dream school. Though veterinary medicine in my life dream, so if another state school was a good fit for me, I certainly wouldn't pass it up!

As for the vet tech option, it'd be another stepping stone degree towards vet school for me. I wouldn't be content never trying for vet school. Thus, I'd still have to take my science pre-requisites for vet school over even if I did go for a vet tech degree, I'd assume.

Any opinions on what you'd feel would be the best course of action and looked upon most favorably towards vet schools? Once again; thank you so much for reading and replying!

Honestly I think a tech program would be a waste of your time. If you want to do a two year program, you're probably better off pursuing a masters. Especially if you can do some interesting research, since vet schools love to see research experience. Schools won't exactly hold your old grades against you, but they will factor those old grades into your cumulative GPA. They want to see that you can handle the academic rigor of the vet med program, which hopefully you could show by completing a masters program, or taking a full load of classes (like at least 15 units) and doing well in them.

Retaking classes with a C or lower wouldn't necessarily be a waste of time, depending on where you apply. Some schools will replace the old grade rather than average the two grades. It would also boost that last 45 unit GPA, which most schools look at in conjunction with your cumulative GPA. Some only look at last 45 and prerequisite/science GPA (like Minnesota and Michigan, and probably others).

There's no set path that will be looked on favorably by all schools. You have to figure out how you want to proceed, and research which schools will be the best fit. Good luck!

b.)retaking classes
c.)vet tech classes

Hey CPvet17! I just wanted to chime in on my experiences with a low undergrad GPA. I had the same issues with learning how to study in undergrad and finally figured it out as a junior (ridiculous, right?). I tried applying to vet school after undergrad to only my IS and that was a huge flop. I went and spoke with a pre-vet adviser about what my realistic options are to get into vet school. She suggested either taking a lot of advanced science classes or doing a masters to prove to the adcoms I could handle vet school coursework. I chose the masters route in biomedical sciences, but I'll say the same thing that she told me-- you really have to be interested in the coursework as well as the research. It's definitely not for everyone. That being said, I really lucked out with a great adviser with awesome research as well as super supportive faculty and couldn't be happier that I chose to do a masters. I feel like the experience has made me a much stronger student and has given me a lot of confidence both in and out of school. I've heard from other people that have done similar routes that wish they would have just taken random upper science courses. So if you're leaning towards a masters, it might be a good idea to check out programs you'd be most interested in and then setting up meetings with faculty you'd be interested in working with to make sure it's a good fit for you.

Despite the fact that I'm getting a masters this summer with a 4.0, I'm still struggling getting into schools due to my low undergrad GPA. I've applied to 7 schools: accepted to SGU, declined an interview for Ross, waiting on 2, and rejected from 3. SGU also hinted that I was accepted above other candidates because of my masters. So it might not be easy, but it's possible!:)

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!!

As for retaking clases; do you think retaking the science pre-requisites that I have Cs in would help? Or is it kind of pointless as my advisor once claimed? Having taken time off and feeling more mentally rested, I feel I could improve. I just don't know if that would be the best way to show that I am capable to vet schools vs. the masters route/another route. Retaking classes only for the VMCAS to refactor in the old grades with the new seems almost counter-productive. The last 45 credit hours is helpful and I will most certainly research those schools, but I don't know that it's something I'd like to limit my school choiced to exclusively.

Just a few random points:

1) I like your attitude about past failure. Good on ya. The more you take responsibility, the more schools will be inclined to give you a second chance.

2) It doesn't matter how VMCAS calculates your grades; schools typically have their own way of doing it. You really want to look for schools who use methods that best fit your profile, like dovelover said. I failed out of college early in life and had a GPA of ... I don't remember, something like 1.6. I actually had a GPA of 0.0 at the university at which I'm now in vet school from my one half-hearted semester here. But when I went back to get my bachelor's a bit later in life I walked out with a 4.0. To UMN (one of the schools that uses a last-45-credit GPA in addition to a pre-req classes GPA) I was virtually a 4.0 student, whereas at some other vet schools I may have been a 2.0 or 3.0 student. You can't overemphasize the fact that different schools evaluate candidates differently.

3) As much as Cornell may be your dream school, if your past performance doesn't fit with their evaluation criteria, you may have to chalk that up to a tough lesson learned in life and move on to a different dream school. But you can certainly get into vet school (especially with your experience) if you're willing to widen your net a bit.

Thanks TheComfyCat, Lambeau Leap and LetItSnow for the advice! I appreciate all the help!

The masters route is seeming more and more like the way I need to go. And thanks for the advice on the masters topic Lambeau Leap! May I ask you which school you chose your masters for? And how you narrowed it down? I'm trying to find a program that I could potentially get a position as an RA or TA to help with tuition costs. Any advice on how to find a good program or even how to eliminate the wrong ones in your search?

On another note, I have the same worry in the back of my mind that you seem to be experiencing, Lambeau Leap; that even despite a potentially amazing masters GPA (As you had! Way to go with the 4.0!), that schools will still see the undergrad aspects as questionable. But, I suppose that's where choosing schools with the last 45 hrs will come in as well as other application factors like GRE scores, experience, etc.

Really, I think over the next few months I need to buckle down and deal with one step at a time, with the next step being taking the GRE. After that, I'll have a better concept of where I stand, having another piece of the vet school/grad school application to judge. I agree with you all that trying to make sense of admissions offices to an obsessive degree is likely pointless. Every school will have their admissions formulas, and those same schools will turn away "perfect" applicants and admit "atypical" ones for one reason or another, every year. I've spoken to the admissions director at Cornell and even she's said that they turn away many excellent candidates who would be great assets to the veterinary medicine world for one reason or another. And some of those same applicants will get in the next year, reapplying. From what she said, it seems that every decision is based upon a the pool of applicants from year to year, rather than a set-in-stone standard.

Thanks again, you three! And thank you Lambeau Leap and LetItSnow for sharing your stories. It's good to know that regardless of the bumps in our roads, we're getting where we want to go!

Best of luck to you Lambeau Leap as you await your final vet school admission decisions! And should you choose SGU, a former vet I worked with went there and she was AMAZING! Plus, the area of the island where the school is looks gorgeous! I have a friend down there in med school and so far, she loves it. It's an adjustment, I've heard, from state-life to island-life. But, many people absolutely love it and say it's made all the difference to how they view the world and practice medicine.

Best of luck to you in your vet school endeavors TheComfyCat! And best of luck to you LetItSnow at UMN!

Thanks TheComfyCat, Lambeau Leap and LetItSnow for the advice! I appreciate all the help!

The masters route is seeming more and more like the way I need to go. And thanks for the advice on the masters topic Lambeau Leap! May I ask you which school you chose your masters for? And how you narrowed it down? I'm trying to find a program that I could potentially get a position as an RA or TA to help with tuition costs. Any advice on how to find a good program or even how to eliminate the wrong ones in your search?

On another note, I have the same worry in the back of my mind that you seem to be experiencing, Lambeau Leap; that even despite a potentially amazing masters GPA (As you had! Way to go with the 4.0!), that schools will still see the undergrad aspects as questionable. But, I suppose that's where choosing schools with the last 45 hrs will come in as well as other application factors like GRE scores, experience, etc.

Really, I think over the next few months I need to buckle down and deal with one step at a time, with the next step being taking the GRE. After that, I'll have a better concept of where I stand, having another piece of the vet school/grad school application to judge. I agree with you all that trying to make sense of admissions offices to an obsessive degree is likely pointless. Every school will have their admissions formulas, and those same schools will turn away "perfect" applicants and admit "atypical" ones for one reason or another, every year. I've spoken to the admissions director at Cornell and even she's said that they turn away many excellent candidates who would be great assets to the veterinary medicine world for one reason or another. And some of those same applicants will get in the next year, reapplying. From what she said, it seems that every decision is based upon a the pool of applicants from year to year, rather than a set-in-stone standard.

Thanks again, you three! And thank you Lambeau Leap and LetItSnow for sharing your stories. It's good to know that regardless of the bumps in our roads, we're getting where we want to go!

Best of luck to you Lambeau Leap as you await your final vet school admission decisions! And should you choose SGU, a former vet I worked with went there and she was AMAZING! Plus, the area of the island where the school is looks gorgeous! I have a friend down there in med school and so far, she loves it. It's an adjustment, I've heard, from state-life to island-life. But, many people absolutely love it and say it's made all the difference to how they view the world and practice medicine.

Best of luck to you in your vet school endeavors TheComfyCat! And best of luck to you LetItSnow at UMN!
Thanks for the well wishes! I know some SGU students and they seem to really love it, so I think I would be very happy there.

As far as picking out a masters program, some people look for specific research that they're interested in doing or what the degree could do for them after they graduate. It's also important to determine how long the program usually takes to complete (1 year versus 2 years+). I will admit that I chose the program I did because it was close enough for me to live with my parents and save some money, the research was fairly interesting, and I was able to become a TA during my second year-- which allowed for a stipend and tuition remission. My focus was more on what will make me a better applicant for vet school, not necessarily what I could do with the masters by itself. So it might help to start looking for programs that offer the type of degree you want, and then narrow it down to which ones would be both financially feasible and offer research you would ultimately be interested in focusing on (which is important when you're researching for and writing your proposal and thesis!)

Thanks to dovelover and dalmatiandoc for the extra advice! After what you two have said and advice I got from another intern at the aviary I'm considering switching NCSU out for another school. Any suggestions for where else I should look into applying? I'm thinking maybe Kansas or Auburn (or both) but I don't know how they are for OOS.
I'm also considering retaking Organic Chemistry II since I ended up with a C in that. Do you guys think it's worth it even though I wouldn't be able to do that until after I've already applied to vet school?

Thanks to dovelover and dalmatiandoc for the extra advice! After what you two have said and advice I got from another intern at the aviary I'm considering switching NCSU out for another school. Any suggestions for where else I should look into applying? I'm thinking maybe Kansas or Auburn (or both) but I don't know how they are for OOS.
I'm also considering retaking Organic Chemistry II since I ended up with a C in that. Do you guys think it's worth it even though I wouldn't be able to do that until after I've already applied to vet school?

I can't speak for Auburn, but I interviewed an was rejected from Kansas. They make the interview cut based on academics/GRE, but the interview score is a combination of your application and the interview. My academic/vet experience stats were somewhat similar to yours when I applied and I did a wildlife internship that summer. In the "file review" type thing, they said they were looking for more/longer small animal vet experience. Most of my interview questions were small animal related as well. My suggestion would be if you would like to apply to Kansas, try to get a job at a clinic this summer and keep working there next year. You may want to consider applying to Ohio State as well.

Yeah, my new plan is to get a job at a clinic this summer. I've sent out emails to a few in my area just to see how many might be willing to have someone work there just during the summer, and so far I have a few places that told me to contact them when I get back in town.
Thanks for the Ohio State suggestion, I'll look into it.

Yeah, my new plan is to get a job at a clinic this summer. I've sent out emails to a few in my area just to see how many might be willing to have someone work there just during the summer, and so far I have a few places that told me to contact them when I get back in town.
Thanks for the Ohio State suggestion, I'll look into it.
I second Ohio State. They accept a fair number of out OOS students. I know a lot of people who were accepted there.

Definitely third OSU. They tend to look at apps more holistically (NCSU is very grade-focused). Let me know if you have any OSU questions.

Hey everyone! I commented here ages ago, when I first thought about applying, and I'm hoping you can help me again...
I applied this cycle to OhioState (my IS ), WSU, VMRCVM, and Illinois. Flat out rejected at OSU, WSU, and VMRCVM, and interview to waitlist on Illinois. While I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Illinois, they put everyone they interview on their waitlist, and they interviewed 244 people, so I'm not being overly optimistic. So, I'm planning for the worse...applying again. Here are my stats as they are now/plan to be by this next cycle, in parenthesis I'll put what they were this past cycle, if they've changed, I'll also italicize new experience

cGPA: 3.4 (3.38)
sGPA: 3.3(3.2)
Last45: So, I'm on semesters, so if they go by just my last year, it should range from a 3.5 to a 3.8, depending on how a few classes now go. If they take the last 45 credit hours, it should range from a 3.49 to a 3.69. (last cycle it was a 3.35)

GRE:

Vet Hrs (1,016):
80 equine vet
592 SA vet, same large clinic, multiple Drs (orig 384 hrs)
344 Lab animal Medicine, performing surgeries/procedures (orig 84 hrs)

Animal Exp(14,158)
~1000 caring for/training client show dogs (840 orig)
128 teaching agility/conformation classes
2430 breeding dogs
220 caring for animals (cats/exotics) while working at a petstore
2200 grooming show dogs (orig 2080)
5500 time spent @ dog shows (5125 orig)
700 riding lessons/barn time
880 training for agility/obed/rally
700 animal ownership (?)
400 pet sitting
200 Sheep (doing feet, working with them while dogs are being trained/tested on them)

Research (5,070)
1100-specific project which is leading to publication, biomedical
4400- working in a lab, biomedical

other:
My local/national breed conformation club
Costuming

So, I'm working on trying to find some LA experience, but its VERY hard in my area, I live in a city, and the surrounding farm area is pretty corn based, and I just can't seem to find anywhere with LAs.

I'm also contemplating retaking OChem...I got C+s both semesters...it would raise my sGPA from a 3.3 to a 3.45, I'm not sure how it will affect my cGPA because my university switched from Quarters to Semesters and now everything is all wacky because of it. Should I try to retake it? I also have a C+ my last quarter of GenChem, but because of the quarter/semester thing I'm not sure I could retake JUST that.

Anyway, my big question for you guys is, where do you think I should go from here? I'm doing a file review with OSU Thursday, but outside that...?

My second big question is, where do you think I should try applying next year?

The schools I meet the prereqs for are:

Ohio State (IS)
Auburn
Colorado
Cornell
Dublin
Edinburgh
Georgia
Glasgow
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
NCSU
PEI/AVC
RVC
SGU
Tufts
Wisconsin

Thoughts?

Hey everyone! I commented here ages ago, when I first thought about applying, and I'm hoping you can help me again...
I applied this cycle to OhioState (my IS ), WSU, VMRCVM, and Illinois. Flat out rejected at OSU, WSU, and VMRCVM, and interview to waitlist on Illinois. While I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Illinois, they put everyone they interview on their waitlist, and they interviewed 244 people, so I'm not being overly optimistic. So, I'm planning for the worse...applying again. Here are my stats as they are now/plan to be by this next cycle, in parenthesis I'll put what they were this past cycle, if they've changed, I'll also italicize new experience

Last45: So, I'm on semesters, so if they go by just my last year, it should range from a 3.5 to a 3.8, depending on how a few classes now go. If they take the last 45 credit hours, it should range from a 3.49 to a 3.69. (last cycle it was a 3.35)

GRE:

Vet Hrs (1,016):
80 equine vet

Animal Exp(14,158)
2430 breeding dogs
700 animal ownership (?)
400 pet sitting
200 Sheep (doing feet, working with them while dogs are being trained/tested on them)

Research (5,070)

other:
Costuming

So, I'm working on trying to find some LA experience, but its VERY hard in my area, I live in a city, and the surrounding farm area is pretty corn based, and I just can't seem to find anywhere with LAs.

I'm also contemplating retaking OChem...I got C+s both semesters...it would raise my sGPA from a 3.3 to a 3.45, I'm not sure how it will affect my cGPA because my university switched from Quarters to Semesters and now everything is all wacky because of it. Should I try to retake it? I also have a C+ my last quarter of GenChem, but because of the quarter/semester thing I'm not sure I could retake JUST that.

Anyway, my big question for you guys is, where do you think I should go from here? I'm doing a file review with OSU Thursday, but outside that...?

Ohio State (IS)
Auburn
Colorado
Cornell
Dublin
Edinburgh
Georgia
Glasgow
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
NCSU
PEI/AVC
RVC
SGU
Tufts
Wisconsin

Thoughts?
I would do file reviews at all the schools, not just Ohio State, even if you don't plan on applying to them again. They may have helpful insights.
What was your GRE? It would help for that to be high since your GPA is a bit on the lower side (not horrible though). As for retaking ochem, there are positives and negatives about retaking prereqs... you may want to see what the schools you are applying to have to say. And fyi, last 45 is usually calculated using all classes back through the semester/quarter that includes your 45th (counting backward) credit. So you may actually have more than 45 credits included.

You have a lot of animal experience, and combined you have a lot of research/vet experience, but it doesn't hurt to keep adding to to your vet experience over the summer, since that is your lowest category, and having higher experience hours will make up for a lower GPA. You'll want to see if you can find out at your file reviews if your personal statement or eLORs were a problem... sometimes you can think you're good in those areas and find out someone wrote a negative recommendation.

As for schools, I can't speak for all of them, but I'd cross off Georgia because accept hardly any OOS students, and NCSU is extremely competitive in the grades department. International schools can be a bit easier to get into, if you're open to moving that far away. If you do get your last 45 up to where you'd expect (especially if it's the higher end of the range), I'd definitely try applying to the schools that look at last 45 instead of cumulative GPA. I know Minnesota's one, I believe there are others but I don't know what they are. Also, the number of US schools that you meet prereq requirements for seems pretty small, maybe you should try taking a few additional prereqs this summer to expand your options? It could also raise your last 45 GPA.

I would do file reviews at all the schools, not just Ohio State, even if you don't plan on applying to them again. They may have helpful insights.
What was your GRE? It would help for that to be high since your GPA is a bit on the lower side (not horrible though). As for retaking ochem, there are positives and negatives about retaking prereqs... you may want to see what the schools you are applying to have to say. And fyi, last 45 is usually calculated using all classes back through the semester/quarter that includes your 45th (counting backward) credit. So you may actually have more than 45 credits included.

You have a lot of animal experience, and combined you have a lot of research/vet experience, but it doesn't hurt to keep adding to to your vet experience over the summer, since that is your lowest category, and having higher experience hours will make up for a lower GPA. You'll want to see if you can find out at your file reviews if your personal statement or eLORs were a problem... sometimes you can think you're good in those areas and find out someone wrote a negative recommendation.

As for schools, I can't speak for all of them, but I'd cross off Georgia because accept hardly any OOS students, and NCSU is extremely competitive in the grades department. International schools can be a bit easier to get into, if you're open to moving that far away. If you do get your last 45 up to where you'd expect (especially if it's the higher end of the range), I'd definitely try applying to the schools that look at last 45 instead of cumulative GPA. I know Minnesota's one, I believe there are others but I don't know what they are. Also, the number of US schools that you meet prereq requirements for seems pretty small, maybe you should try taking a few additional prereqs this summer to expand your options? It could also raise your last 45 GPA.

My GRE was 157v(73%), 154q (57%) and 4w(54%)....so entirely mediocre/below average...and not helpful at all :/

I'm thinking about taking Animal Nutrition, as that would open up Michigan, and Auburn. The other schools all seem to require an animal science specific class, which isn't offered at my university, or any university within a two hour radius (I would have to go to OSU to take the class, and that just isn't possible)

Hello everyone, I wanna say thanks in advance to anyone has input and goodluck to everyone else seeking it. I am going to be applying(MORE THAN LIKELY) for 2015 Matriculation. I am a very non traditional student with some very early college hiccups. Basically hand full of F's in thankfully all non science or math courses, mostly accounting and computer stuff. This was all from 09-11 when I had no idea what i wanted to do. I just kinda wanted to put out my rather uninspiring resume for you guys and take some feedback. I also will only be applying with an AS in Science and the prereqs for the schools im looking at this first time.
Due to my first couple of immature years in college and the fact that i was a highschool dropout I know I have a slim chance but here goes:
cGPA(assuned but pretty accurate im sure) 3.0x
sGPA(3.9)
Havent Taken GRE yet(soon though)

The schools I am applying to are:
MISS ST(top choice).
UGA
WISC
VMR
-In a SC resident btw
Animal Experience:
8,500 Hours in Small Animal Practice at 2 seperate hospitals with a total of 8 different doctors in my 4 years as an assistant
2,200 Hours at Petco, 1,500 of those as the Aquatics Specialist. (So very familiar with aquatics and husbandry) Also at petco had moderate experience with various small animals ,ferrets, hamsters, rates, etc....As well as reptiles and birds
Most of life spent around mostly dogs and cats, but have owned snakes, birds, ferrets, horses, pigs, rats, rabbits, ducks. I know this probably doesnt count but still.
*My goal is to also get atleast 250 hours of LA experience before application.

My weakest aspect is I lack a traditional college grad background of extra curricular activities and clubs. I am however, although member of my Community Colleges science club and a tutor in general biology as well as anatomy and physiology(employed as such at the college)

*On a personal note and this is stuff that is important to me but is hard to make known to a selection committee, but I am our lead assistant, I am the most knowledgeable member of our staff that doesn't have the letters Dr. in front of their name. I have made it my mission on the recent years to understand every disease/diagnosis that has ever come through our doors. I commonly and accurately discuss things with our doctors and our other assistants commonly look to me for advice. I have garnered great respect from all of our doctors for my ability and drive to go above and beyond that of most other employees to truly better my understanding of veterinary medicine, and I know if given the opportunity I can excel in school. Guess I just have to improve my resume` first! Anyways all comments welcome!

Last edited:
24 year-old, 2nd time female applicant. Lifetime VA resident. Waitlisted at Wisconsin and VMRCVM, though not holding my breath about getting off either of their waitlists this year.
Academics:
Graduated Hollins University with a B.S. in biology magna cum laude, GPA: 3.8
Studied abroad for a semester in Ireland
I don't remember the exact other stats off the top of my head, but my science GPA and last 45 credit hours GPA > 3.9
GRE: (I took it in 2011, so old scoring system which schools told me still was ok) V: 590 (84%) Q: 740 (80%) W: 3.0 (10%, ouch)

Veterinary Experience:Volunteer at my local zoo's veterinary hospital (at time of application, I had undergone a tour and had a start date, currently at ~100 hours)
Work as a veterinary assistant at SA clinic, made sure to emphasize the nontraditional treatments like acupuncture offered there to make it more unique, and that they're currently teaching me how to perform blood draws :) (at time of app, 1,111 hours, currently around 1,500 hours)
Rode along w/large animal veterinarian (29 hours)
Career internship at equine hospital (100 hours)
Worked as a veterinary assistant as a small, feline only practice (887 hours)
Volunteered at a small animal hospital, which also treated some injured wildlife and exotics (185 hours)
Interned at equine ambulatory service (156 hours)

Animal Experience:
Working student at a barn (350 hours at time of application, probably ~450 currently)
Volunteer at my local zoo's reptile house (530 hours at time of application, ~600 currently)
Performed work study through my university's barn (1,107 hours), and took lessons there (~600 hours)
Working student at my old instructor's barn, including assisting w/her summer camps and teaching children (550 hours)
Pet ownership-cats, dogs, hamsters, fish (2000 hours)
Pet sitter-cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, rabbits, birds, a turtle, and a lizard several of which needed medicating daily (750 hours)
Summer Equine Camp Counselor (750 hours)

Research Experience:
Microbiology research on the prevalence of microorganisms in soda fountains (work included culturing, isolating, I.D.ing, testing for antibiotic resistance) work was published by professors (240 hours)
Senior research project testing carbohydrate's effect on probiotic bacteria's antifungal activity, had to generate formal lab report and a poster for seminar (150 hours)

Other Experience:
Worked very briefly as a pool receptionist, until I found out I could be working with horses instead that summer (65 hours)
Volunteered w/my mom at church's food pantry
Year on high school's Track team, member of my university's cross country club all four years and served as treasurer for most of that time

Awards:
Sigma Xi and Phi Beta Kappa inductee
A Riding Scholarship
An award given at university based on "outstanding academic performance in the natural sciences"
Honor Student/Dean's List
Graduated from high school w/an AP Diploma w/distinction
Received an orchestra award in high school essentially for contributions to the orchestra, as I performed w/the advanced orchestra and assisted the teacher/helped teach students in the intermediate orchestra

Personal Statement:When I went to NC state's admissions information session last summer (since they don't offer application reviews to waitlisters) they said to "focus on the reality, not the romanticism." So I started off talking about how I was not interested in veterinary medicine from a young age b/c I didn't like science until college, then basically my progression through experiences in veterinary medicine and what I learned from each, a bit about my career goals (though still not confident if I want exotics or horse more) and finished up talking about the qualities I posses that are unique and would make me a great veterinarian.

eLOR's:
Bio professor from undergrad
SA vet from my current work place
LA vet I rode along with
current riding instructor

So I am beyond frustrated at this point, and would appreciate any advice on my application for next year since I'm pretty confident I'm not getting in this year. The only school that offered an application review that I applied to last year was Wisconsin, and I did EVERYTHING she suggested, and moved up from 98th on the waitlist last year to 86th this year. Supposedly VA tech waitlisted me based on the interview, and I don't know why I went from waitlisted at NC state last year to rejected this year. Am I missing something or is just because Wisconsin and NC state are so competitive to get into?

24 year-old, 2nd time female applicant. Lifetime VA resident. Waitlisted at Wisconsin and VMRCVM, though not holding my breath about getting off either of their waitlists this year.
Academics:
Graduated Hollins University with a B.S. in biology magna cum laude, GPA: 3.8
Studied abroad for a semester in Ireland
I don't remember the exact other stats off the top of my head, but my science GPA and last 45 credit hours GPA > 3.9
GRE: (I took it in 2011, so old scoring system which schools told me still was ok) V: 590 (84%) Q: 740 (80%) W: 3.0 (10%, ouch)

Veterinary Experience:Volunteer at my local zoo's veterinary hospital (at time of application, I had undergone a tour and had a start date, currently at ~100 hours)
Work as a veterinary assistant at SA clinic, made sure to emphasize the nontraditional treatments like acupuncture offered there to make it more unique, and that they're currently teaching me how to perform blood draws :) (at time of app, 1,111 hours, currently around 1,500 hours)
Rode along w/large animal veterinarian (29 hours)
Career internship at equine hospital (100 hours)
Worked as a veterinary assistant as a small, feline only practice (887 hours)
Volunteered at a small animal hospital, which also treated some injured wildlife and exotics (185 hours)
Interned at equine ambulatory service (156 hours)

Animal Experience:
Working student at a barn (350 hours at time of application, probably ~450 currently)
Volunteer at my local zoo's reptile house (530 hours at time of application, ~600 currently)
Performed work study through my university's barn (1,107 hours), and took lessons there (~600 hours)
Working student at my old instructor's barn, including assisting w/her summer camps and teaching children (550 hours)
Pet ownership-cats, dogs, hamsters, fish (2000 hours)
Pet sitter-cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, rabbits, birds, a turtle, and a lizard several of which needed medicating daily (750 hours)
Summer Equine Camp Counselor (750 hours)

Research Experience:
Microbiology research on the prevalence of microorganisms in soda fountains (work included culturing, isolating, I.D.ing, testing for antibiotic resistance) work was published by professors (240 hours)
Senior research project testing carbohydrate's effect on probiotic bacteria's antifungal activity, had to generate formal lab report and a poster for seminar (150 hours)

Other Experience:
Worked very briefly as a pool receptionist, until I found out I could be working with horses instead that summer (65 hours)
Volunteered w/my mom at church's food pantry
Year on high school's Track team, member of my university's cross country club all four years and served as treasurer for most of that time

Awards:
Sigma Xi and Phi Beta Kappa inductee
A Riding Scholarship
An award given at university based on "outstanding academic performance in the natural sciences"
Honor Student/Dean's List
Graduated from high school w/an AP Diploma w/distinction
Received an orchestra award in high school essentially for contributions to the orchestra, as I performed w/the advanced orchestra and assisted the teacher/helped teach students in the intermediate orchestra

Personal Statement:When I went to NC state's admissions information session last summer (since they don't offer application reviews to waitlisters) they said to "focus on the reality, not the romanticism." So I started off talking about how I was not interested in veterinary medicine from a young age b/c I didn't like science until college, then basically my progression through experiences in veterinary medicine and what I learned from each, a bit about my career goals (though still not confident if I want exotics or horse more) and finished up talking about the qualities I posses that are unique and would make me a great veterinarian.

eLOR's:
Bio professor from undergrad
SA vet from my current work place
LA vet I rode along with
current riding instructor

So I am beyond frustrated at this point, and would appreciate any advice on my application for next year since I'm pretty confident I'm not getting in this year. The only school that offered an application review that I applied to last year was Wisconsin, and I did EVERYTHING she suggested, and moved up from 98th on the waitlist last year to 86th this year. Supposedly VA tech waitlisted me based on the interview, and I don't know why I went from waitlisted at NC state last year to rejected this year. Am I missing something or is just because Wisconsin and NC state are so competitive to get into?

Stats wise, you look good for both NCSU and Wisconsin. Yes, they're competitive, but I think you have a great GPA and a solid amount of hours. You maybe try to get more hours in the areas you're lower on (equine, LA, etc) but they still look pretty good.

The GRE percentiles, are those the percentiles from when you took it in 2011? If so, they've probably changed a little bit since they shift based on how people do each year.

The only thing I can really think of is taking another look at LOR's and your personal statement. Are you sure they're all strong LOR? Did you have several people look over your PS? Also, keep in mind that admission each year is based on that current applicant pool. How you did one year is no indicator of how things will go in another. For example, I was wait listed at Tufts, rejected the next year (without interview) and was #2 on the Penn IS list and initially rejected post interview the following year. Also, if VAMD wait listed you based on interview, I'd maybe set up some mock interviews to work on questions that might have stumped you this past round.

Hello everyone, I wanna say thanks in advance to anyone has input and goodluck to everyone else seeking it. I am going to be applying(MORE THAN LIKELY) for 2015 Matriculation. I am a very non traditional student with some very early college hiccups. Basically hand full of F's in thankfully all non science or math courses, mostly accounting and computer stuff. This was all from 09-11 when I had no idea what i wanted to do. I just kinda wanted to put out my rather uninspiring resume for you guys and take some feedback. I also will only be applying with an AS in Science and the prereqs for the schools im looking at this first time.
Due to my first couple of immature years in college and the fact that i was a highschool dropout I know I have a slim chance but here goes:
cGPA(assuned but pretty accurate im sure) 3.0x
sGPA(3.9)
Havent Taken GRE yet(soon though)

The schools I am applying to are:
MISS ST(top choice).
UGA
WISC
VMR
-In a SC resident btw
Animal Experience:
8,500 Hours in Small Animal Practice at 2 seperate hospitals with a total of 8 different doctors in my 4 years as an assistant
2,200 Hours at Petco, 1,500 of those as the Aquatics Specialist. (So very familiar with aquatics and husbandry) Also at petco had moderate experience with various small animals ,ferrets, hamsters, rates, etc....As well as reptiles and birds
Most of life spent around mostly dogs and cats, but have owned snakes, birds, ferrets, horses, pigs, rats, rabbits, ducks. I know this probably doesnt count but still.
*My goal is to also get atleast 250 hours of LA experience before application.

My weakest aspect is I lack a traditional college grad background of extra curricular activities and clubs. I am however, although member of my Community Colleges science club and a tutor in general biology as well as anatomy and physiology(employed as such at the college)

*On a personal note and this is stuff that is important to me but is hard to make known to a selection committee, but I am our lead assistant, I am the most knowledgeable member of our staff that doesn't have the letters Dr. in front of their name. I have made it my mission on the recent years to understand every disease/diagnosis that has ever come through our doors. I commonly and accurately discuss things with our doctors and our other assistants commonly look to me for advice. I have garnered great respect from all of our doctors for my ability and drive to go above and beyond that of most other employees to truly better my understanding of veterinary medicine, and I know if given the opportunity I can excel in school. Guess I just have to improve my resume` first! Anyways all comments welcome!

Your chances aren't horrible, actually. You have a solid number of hours that sound like they are of good quality and will give you some good eLoRs. I'd definitely try to diversify--in addition to adding in LA, try adding a third area... Even if it's only a small number of hours.

Your cGPA is low, but people have gotten in with lower. Your science GPA is great though, and it sounds like you had an upward trend with your grades, which schools like. They won't really care so much how poorly you did in the past as long as you're doing awesomely now. You should calculate your last 45 GPA. If that's pretty solid, try applying at schools that look at last 45 instead of cumulative.

As for expressing what you said in your last paragraph there, that's I what your personal statement is for! Also, you have the option to write an explanation statement so you can choose to explain your past bad grades if you wish, but I'd only do that if you can write in a way that adds to your application rather than take away from it.

As for expressing what you said in your last paragraph there, that's I what your personal statement is for!

This is what the personal statement is for, however I would be very careful with writing that anywhere on your application in the tone/way it is typed up here. Especially the "I am the most knowledgeable member of staff that does not have Dr. in front of their name." Condescending, insensitive, a bit ignorant and not recognizing that there are other things to vet med than being "knowledgeable". So, tread very carefully when mentioning things like this in your PS.

Reactions: 3 users

I second what dovelover and DVMD said, however I would like to add that if this is true, it should come out in your eLORs from the vets at that facility.

I'd be frustrated too - your application is fantastic. The only thing that can't be quantified are your personal statement, letters of rec and interview. I would have someone review your PS, maybe try and find a stronger letter writer and practice those interviewing skills a ton. Good luck!

GRE:

Vet Hrs (1,016):
80 equine vet

Animal Exp(14,158)
2430 breeding dogs
700 animal ownership (?)
400 pet sitting

Research (5,070)

other:
Costuming

Ohio State (IS)
Auburn
Colorado
Cornell
Dublin
Edinburgh
Georgia
Glasgow
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
NCSU
PEI/AVC
RVC
SGU
Tufts
Wisconsin

Thoughts?

Retake your GRE and get more vet experience would be my biggest ideas. I'm not sure retaking those orgo classes would be super-helpful - not a bad idea per se but not going to give you a huge bump. Another consideration would be to take a couple of higher level science courses instead and get As in those. I also don't think it would hurt to pick up a non-vet hobby/activity if you can afford to time-wise. Make sure your letter writers are stellar and your PS strong.

I didn't mean to sound condescending at all. We have a very awesome staff. I just have a different passion for this than they do. We all love animals I am just the only aspiring doctor. I apologize....

I didn't mean to sound condescending at all. We have a very awesome staff. I just have a different passion for this than they do. We all love animals I am just the only aspiring doctor. I apologize....
No need to apologize. Sometimes stuff doesn't sound the way you meant it through a keyboard.
Just a general bit of advice though that might help you: It's tempting to put forward any little advantage that might push you over into the acceptance pile, and I'd consider a strong interest/knowledge in pathology to be something that a veterinary candidate should have. But also keep in mind that the people looking through these applications and interviewing you are mostly academic veterinarians who are extremely knowledgeable about their area of focus, and chances are any attempt to impress them with knowledge will simply look cute/pretentious/silly. From my interviews it was pretty clear that they didn't really care all that much about what I knew (that's what vet school is for)... what they wanted to know was what kind of person I was, and it would have been a mistake if I clouded that with a display of information. To be honest I tried my hardest to make my PS an interesting narrative more than anything else (instead of packing it with things meant to impress). In my interviews my only goal was to make them laugh.
So trust your references to tell them how impressive your knowledge is and how valuable you are to the practice. That's expected from a reference.
Your job is to show why you're a cool person, and why clients/other veterinarians/professors/your mom/etc, like you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You may want to take the approach of saying something along the lines of "I strive to learn as much as I can about each case," to show that you have a real interest in understanding the information and expanding your knowledge base rather than making it sound like you think you have so much knowledge already... because like it or not, it's hard to understand the details of diseases at the level the veterinarian truly does until you've done the dirty work of making it through courses like biochem and physiology and histo and path. And the fact that you are the only one of your staff striving to go to vet school means you may not want to compare yourself to them in terms of drive, they have different priorities, that doesn't mean they're less driven. In general in your application you probably want to focus more on the specifics of your own personal qualities, rather than how you compare to those around you.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I have been lurking on this thread and now I am at that point where I really need some help and insight. I am hoping to apply this year so here goes my horrible bad stats...

cum GPA : 3.45 right now (hoping to bring it to 3.5 by the end of this term)
science GPA: ok its 3.29 as of now (still have physics 1,2 and orgo 2 and biochem to go...) but if you count my F from freshman year (like my instate VMRCVM does) it's 2.88.
last 45: 3.48

have not taken GRE yet but from practice ones, math was great and verbal was beyond horrible.

Veterinary Experience:
400 hours shadowing/volunteering a small animal clinic vet in Turkey
around 50 hours shadowing a small animal vet here
6 hours shadowing a wildlife vet
8 hours shadowing an equine vet

Animal Experience:
3,000 - horseback riding, cleaning after, taking care of the horses
6 months- 960 hours of taking care of a baby orphaned horse
around 450 hours and counting - Volunteering at NYC ACC, ASPCA and various local shelters
640 hours - my dad is from a village in Turkey so I spent some summers (i'll count 2 summers that I did this while in college) with farm animals, helping around.
I own 4 exotic animals (leopard geckos and california king snake) and a dog and a cat and a fish.

My in-state VMRCVM counts my F in biology from my freshman year so that seems like a long shot for me. Also, I need research hours for Virginia, it seems like. I don't know if I could fit that seeing I'll take orgo 2 in the summer and biochem and physics in fall along with my last science courses. I really did not want to go under a lot of debt but my IS seems like a long shot. Any advice? Do I stand any chance, anywhere? Caribbean is not an option for me since my husband wants to stay in the U.S. Do you guys know any grade-forgiving schools that'll count my second grade and not the F? I know Western is one and I love that school but the debt really really scares me. Any OOS that I might have a shot at, that is not too expensive? I am applying this year and am still at a loss. I am torn between trying everywhere this year and taking the loans or relocating somewhere that I may have a chance and try next year...

Thanks!!

I don't think you intended to sound condescending, but that is why I mentioned something about it. The way that we word or post things often sound different in our head than they do to the people reading them. It is easy for tone to be mistaken. I think dovelover really hit the nail on the head with how to rephrase some of that so that it does sound better to admissions committees and a lot of that information should come across in your letters of recommendation from the vets.

The personal statement wants to know more about you personally as well. They will see elsewhere in your application what your experiences were. Every vet student that applies to vet school is interested in medicine and probably has, at some point or another, researched various diseases/conditions affecting animals. They want to know about you and what makes you unique. What did the experiences you gained teach you? How did they impact your decision to become a vet? What traits/characteristics/etc did they allow you to discover that you have that would make you a good vet? Use the personal statement to explain what those experiences taught you, what they meant to you and how they will make you a better vet/vet student. Explain how those experiences made you want to pursue vet med. Explain what you will take with you to vet school/as a vet from those experiences. And not all experiences that you talk about in the personal statement need to even be related to veterinary work. You can use examples from situations/circumstances and things that have happened to you that are completely irrelevant to vet med and then show how your handling of that particular experience demonstrates "x" characteristic and how that characteristic is important to have in vet med.

Ok, I have been lurking on this thread and now I am at that point where I really need some help and insight. I am hoping to apply this year so here goes my horrible bad stats...

cum GPA : 3.45 right now (hoping to bring it to 3.5 by the end of this term)
science GPA: ok its 3.29 as of now (still have physics 1,2 and orgo 2 and biochem to go...) but if you count my F from freshman year (like my instate VMRCVM does) it's 2.88.
last 45: 3.48

have not taken GRE yet but from practice ones, math was great and verbal was beyond horrible.

Veterinary Experience:
400 hours shadowing/volunteering a small animal clinic vet in Turkey
around 50 hours shadowing a small animal vet here
6 hours shadowing a wildlife vet
8 hours shadowing an equine vet

Animal Experience:
3,000 - horseback riding, cleaning after, taking care of the horses
6 months- 960 hours of taking care of a baby orphaned horse
around 450 hours and counting - Volunteering at NYC ACC, ASPCA and various local shelters
640 hours - my dad is from a village in Turkey so I spent some summers (i'll count 2 summers that I did this while in college) with farm animals, helping around.
I own 4 exotic animals (leopard geckos and california king snake) and a dog and a cat and a fish.

My in-state VMRCVM counts my F in biology from my freshman year so that seems like a long shot for me. Also, I need research hours for Virginia, it seems like. I don't know if I could fit that seeing I'll take orgo 2 in the summer and biochem and physics in fall along with my last science courses. I really did not want to go under a lot of debt but my IS seems like a long shot. Any advice? Do I stand any chance, anywhere? Caribbean is not an option for me since my husband wants to stay in the U.S. Do you guys know any grade-forgiving schools that'll count my second grade and not the F? I know Western is one and I love that school but the debt really really scares me. Any OOS that I might have a shot at, that is not too expensive? I am applying this year and am still at a loss. I am torn between trying everywhere this year and taking the loans or relocating somewhere that I may have a chance and try next year...

Thanks!!

I don't think your academics will be competitive enough at VMRCVM but since it's your in-state (mine too :)) I'd recommend at least applying if it's at all financially feasible. There are other schools that will replace the F if you retook the class, or at least not count it so strongly against you - just need to dig around on schools' websites a bit.

You have a good start on veterinary hours, but I would absolutely look at getting more. Most schools like to see at least some large animal in there. I'd imagine you would have access to an equine vet with all of your horse experience - a good place to start! You can also consider zoos or aquaria, etc for diversity of experience.

Get some good GRE prep books or consider taking a course (depending on how you learn best) to get that GRE score as high as you can get it.

I don't think your academics will be competitive enough at VMRCVM but since it's your in-state (mine too :)) I'd recommend at least applying if it's at all financially feasible. There are other schools that will replace the F if you retook the class, or at least not count it so strongly against you - just need to dig around on schools' websites a bit.

You have a good start on veterinary hours, but I would absolutely look at getting more. Most schools like to see at least some large animal in there. I'd imagine you would have access to an equine vet with all of your horse experience - a good place to start! You can also consider zoos or aquaria, etc for diversity of experience.

Get some good GRE prep books or consider taking a course (depending on how you learn best) to get that GRE score as high as you can get it.

Thank you so much! Ok, good to hear at least I may have a chance in other grade-forgiving schools. I am emailing the schools that I am interested in to find out who does the grade forgiveness. Let the digging around start from now until October! :nod: Only if I knew what I know now in freshman year and and cared enough to not get that F :bang:
Applied to some farm internships for the summer, hoping to get that large animal experience! Fingers crossed...
Thank you!!

Thank you so much! Ok, good to hear at least I may have a chance in other grade-forgiving schools. I am emailing the schools that I am interested in to find out who does the grade forgiveness. Let the digging around start from now until October! :nod: Only if I knew what I know now in freshman year and and cared enough to not get that F :bang:
Applied to some farm internships for the summer, hoping to get that large animal experience! Fingers crossed...
Thank you!!

If it makes you feel a little better I had about 9 F's from my early college days and I was still accepted to a US school (my IS). I don't think 1 F will keep you out of vet school if you keep your grades up from now on and get a lot of varied experience. I'm not saying getting F's is okay, I'm just saying don't stress so much that it makes you sick. I know my low cumGPA kept me out of almost all the schools I applied to, but its not impossible!

Hi everyone! Very nervous to post, but I am applying this fall and wanted some opinions!

Virginia Tech Class of 2015
B.S. Biological Sciences
B.S. Animal and Poultry Sciences (Livestock Emphasis)
Minor Chemistry
Minor Leadership and Social Change

Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.5

GRE Quan 165
GRE Verbal 172

Experience:
Small Animal Clinic 1100 (three summers working 40 hours per week in a prestigious, busy animal hospital)

The only formal LA work I have is in class. I have halter broken cattle, feed cattle, raised my own litter of pigs, and am generally proficient and comfortable with all livestock.

I have been a TA for an Intro to Animal Science course for the past four semesters, I have been a TA for four leadership classes, and I TA a freshman Bio class.

I lead service trips- I have gone lead trips, mostly focusing on construction to Oklahoma, New York, The Dominican Republic, W. Virginia, Tennessee, I also led a weekly trip to the local Humane Society.

I am an RA on campus.

I have been a speaker at numerous leadership conferences

I put together science/education events for kids aged 8-12 starting with a few kids, and now we have +400 kids coming to an event this weekend about math and we do events across the region now. I have applied for and won +$20,000 in grants for this program.

I did Bio-Fuels research or a semester? Long enough to learn that I hated it haha

I have dear research on American Black Bears for two semesters

My GPA is my major downfall, but I have challenged myself academically- you won't find any "fluff" classes in my transcript. I have accomplished a tremendous amount of things in my three years in undergrad, I am a great writer, I am a great leader, I will have exemplary letters of rec (I am on a first name basis with the dean of the college of science and regularly go to dinner parties at his house with professors in the department, I trained for a marathon with one of my professors, I dog sit for the dean of the college of engineering, and the vets at my animal hospital love me). I know that I can rock any interview I walk into- but that is just the issue, I need to get there first!

So my question- do you think my other experiences can help out with my GPA?

I also have NO IDEA where to apply! I know I am applying to VMRCVM, but outside of that I have no idea. Where should I apply?

Hi everyone! Very nervous to post, but I am applying this fall and wanted some opinions!

B.S. Biological Sciences
Minor Chemistry

GRE Quan 165
GRE Verbal 172

Experience:
Small Animal Clinic 1100 (three summers working 40 hours per week in a prestigious, busy animal hospital)

The only formal LA work I have is in class. I have halter broken cattle, feed cattle, raised my own litter of pigs, and am generally proficient and comfortable with all livestock.

I have been a TA for an Intro to Animal Science course for the past four semesters, I have been a TA for four leadership classes, and I TA a freshman Bio class.

I lead service trips- I have gone lead trips, mostly focusing on construction to Oklahoma, New York, The Dominican Republic, W. Virginia, Tennessee, I also led a weekly trip to the local Humane Society.

I am an RA on campus.

I put together science/education events for kids aged 8-12 starting with a few kids, and now we have +400 kids coming to an event this weekend about math and we do events across the region now. I have applied for and won +$20,000 in grants for this program.

I did Bio-Fuels research or a semester? Long enough to learn that I hated it haha

My GPA is my major downfall, but I have challenged myself academically- you won't find any "fluff" classes in my transcript. I have accomplished a tremendous amount of things in my three years in undergrad, I am a great writer, I am a great leader, I will have exemplary letters of rec (I am on a first name basis with the dean of the college of science and regularly go to dinner parties at his house with professors in the department, I trained for a marathon with one of my professors, I dog sit for the dean of the college of engineering, and the vets at my animal hospital love me). I know that I can rock any interview I walk into- but that is just the issue, I need to get there first!

I also have NO IDEA where to apply! I know I am applying to VMRCVM, but outside of that I have no idea. Where should I apply?

Your GRE scores should certainly help, I'm confused as to how you got a 172 on verbal, isn't the max 170 ?(haven't taken yet, correct me if I'm wrong.) Your high scores should make up for the lower GPA to some extent. Different schools put different weight on GPA, so I would consider looking at some that weigh it less heavily. If you have time, I'd try to get some LA vet experience.
Disclaimer: I am a fellow pre-vet so take what I say with a grain of salt
Good Luck!

B.S. Biological Sciences
Minor Chemistry

GRE Quan 165
GRE Verbal 172

Experience:

I am an RA on campus.

Your GPA is a bit low, especially for VMRCVM, but I still think it's worth applying as I assume it's your in-state. Your GRE scores look quite strong, which is good, but I think in order for you to balance out the slightly lower GPA you're going to need to bulk up on veterinary experience (your other general experience looks good) - large animal, zoo, equine, something.

As for where to apply, look at places that will focus on last 45 and GRE. I'm not as familiar with schools as I was when I applied, but I know there is information on this forum and on school websites about which schools weight these things more heavily. Good luck :)

Thanks for the tips! The GRE percentiles are from when I took them. I was wondering if I needed research experience that more directly related to the veterinary field, more extra-curics, or if I just needed to focus more on the app. I feel pretty confident in my letters of recommendation writers, I wish I could have gotten more advice on my personal statement but I guess I'll just have to take advantage of this board's proof readers next year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.