This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, and welcome to SDN! :welcome:

Some things to put your mind at ease:

I personally think your academics (GPA and GRE) look awesome! I wouldn't worry too much about the 4.0 writing score, some schools even throw it out or put lower emphasis on it. Your other scores by and large make up for it as well.

Research is something that could boost your application if you have it, though I don't think it necessarily hurts you if you don't have it (especially since the rest of your application looks great).

I don't know... to me taking 6 years to graduate isn't a bad thing. Now if you took 6 years to graduate and had a 2.5 it might be different, but applicants are accepted with varying years taking them to graduate, so I don't think this will hurt you here.

Probably the biggest issue with your stats is a lack of diversity. Assuming the hours you have so far are high quality (ie, you've learned a lot and got to know the vet, etc.), since you already have a solid number of hours at two small animal clinics, and have the added bonus of one seeing exotics, I'd say the best thing you can do right now is to really up the number of hours at the equine place, or if that isn't possible, find another not small animal field to get some hours in. And make sure you have some solid eLoR writers lined up. And just an fyi, "mixed" generally refers to practices that see both large & small animals, not small animal & pocket pets... just want to make sure you use the appropriate terminology on your application.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for your commentary! I'm not sure how forums really work, so I'm half tempted to reply to each individual reply to my post, but I don't want to spam either, so someone will have to let me know how this works.. haha.

So what I've gathered from the feedback thus far is that I am weak in diversity, degree of commitment, and extracurriculars..

Does it help that I worked most of my undegrad? For me, extracurriculars felt like more of a luxury that I tried to afford, but never kept up with consistently, especially when I worked and volunteered during the same time period.

I suppose it might be a good idea to address the commitment issue in an essay..

And upping the equine hours is doable, but not to the extent I have built in SA. I could get up to 100, give or take in the next three months. I was thinking about asking the doctor I work for if I could have a day off during the week to go volunteer, but the clinic has been bustling lately, so I almost feel guilty asking.. Never hurts to ask though, right?!

Thanks again everyone who has responded, it means a lot to me that you took the time to provide feedback to a stranger :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for your commentary! I'm not sure how forums really work, so I'm half tempted to reply to each individual reply to my post, but I don't want to spam either, so someone will have to let me know how this works.. haha.

So what I've gathered from the feedback thus far is that I am weak in diversity, degree of commitment, and extracurriculars..

Does it help that I worked most of my undegrad? For me, extracurriculars felt like more of a luxury that I tried to afford, but never kept up with consistently, especially when I worked and volunteered during the same time period.

And upping the equine hours is doable, but not to the extent I have built in SA. I could get up to 100, give or take in the next three months. I was thinking about asking the doctor I work for if I could have a day off during the week to go volunteer, but the clinic has been bustling lately, so I almost feel guilty asking.. Never hurts to ask though, right?!

Thanks again everyone who has responded, it means a lot to me that you took the time to provide feedback to a stranger :love:

Yes, there are actually quite a few schools that consider work experience (and it's on VMCAS as well), so I wouldn't worry too much, especially since it looks like had a busy schedule and weren't "slacking off" so to speak.

You could mention your commitment issue in your Personal Statement, but I would caution you to not focus entirely on why you were wishy washy on vet med and instead perhaps put it in a positive light and focus on why you are so set on pursing vet med now, and what skills and attributions you bring to the table.

Reactions: 1 user

And upping the equine hours is doable, but not to the extent I have built in SA. I could get up to 100, give or take in the next three months. I was thinking about asking the doctor I work for if I could have a day off during the week to go volunteer, but the clinic has been bustling lately, so I almost feel guilty asking. Never hurts to ask though, right?!

I wouldn't worry too much about the extra-curriculars. Yes, it helps to be able to show you're well rounded and have a life outside of academics. But, I've always thought of them as more of an area where, if you have something really cool (ie, an impressive leadership position), it will help you stand out, but if you don't have much, it's probably not going to make a huge negative impact, especially if your application is well rounded in other ways. Having non-vet work experience helps out. Never underestimate the value of customer service experience.

You don't really need to build up the equine hours to where you are in SA, you just need to be able to show that you have an understanding that there are multiple facets to vet med, and that not everything is like it is in SA. I mean, yes, some schools strongly recommend you have X number of hours in each of three different fields in order to be a competitive applicant, but, that won't necessarily bar you from consideration there. And other schools really don't care about that quite as much.

I'm going to agree with Ashgirl in saying that mentioning your change in career goals is good, but don't make it the focus of your essay. It should be about what makes you want to go into vet med and should illustrate that you have an understanding of the field (and are still crazy enough to join it). So talking about what made you decide to switch from human med to vet med (and saying "human medicine just wasn't for me so I chose vet medicine as the alternative" won't cut it) should be part of it, but then I'd move on talk about your passion for vet med and all the other typical personal statement mumbo jumbo. Having been interested in another career before vet med is not a bad thing, in fact I wish I saw more pre-vetters trying out other fields instead of just focusing solely on vet school because "it's been their dream forever." I bet you a fair few of them would not end up going to vet school if they did. Having tried something else first, if anything, shows that you've truly considered your options before coming to the conclusion that vet med's the right choice for you. And given the number of hours you've accrued in the field, no one's going to look at your application and say, hmmm, I'm not sure they're really serious about this field. You just have to paint a good picture for them, and make sure not to ignore your relatively recent change of direction in career goals and pretend they won't notice. You'll certainly have more to say about why you chose the field than someone who has "wanted to be a vet since fluffy got hit by a car when I was eight."

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! And thank you Ashgirl!
I appreciate the feedback :) I feel a little less frantic and a little more focused now :woot:

I am a rising Senior in college and I am about to start working on my VMCAS. I always been worried about my chances of getting into any vet school because of the time that I have dedicated to athletics during my high school and college careers. I am also concerned about the GRE...I am not the best test taker. My current grades certainly do not reflect my intelligence when it comes to information covered on standardized tests. So hopefully my GPA will make up for that. I am just going to list a few important qualities pertaining to my application, so I don't bog down everyone on this forum. If anyone would kindly let me know if there is anything that I need to improve to better my chances of being accepted, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

GPA: 3.8000
Science GPA: 3.8510

Vet Experience:
Summer Internship with Equine Vet (~130 hours)
Small Animal Shadow/Vet Assistant (~400 hours)
AI in equine and bovine (~24 hours)
Ultra-sounding mares (~15 hours)
Live cover breeding under supervision of veterinarian (~5 hours)
Suturing (~3 hours)
**This does not cover all vet hours**

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at non-profit riding facility (3 years)
Volunteer at animal shelter (3 months)
Head Kennel Assistant (2 years)
Pet owner (dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, donkeys, burrows, guinea pigs, snakes) for 21 years (not sure if this counts for anything)
Barn worker at my college (2 consecutive years)
**Not including all animal experience**

Extracurricular/Academic:
SAA Women's Lacrosse (starter for all 3 years)
On campus job throughout college (masonry- 1 year; barn- 2 years; gym/barn- current)
Dean's List for 2 years (Sophomore & Junior year)
SAA Spring 2013 Student-Athlete Academic Honor Roll
Pre-Vet club member
Block and Bridle club member
Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) member
Reproductive Research w/ prof (in session...ongoing)

I am applying to UGA, OSU (Oklahoma not Ohio), and Auburn. I knocked Cornell and MSU off of my list recently.

**None of my high school accomplishments are listed other than vet and animal experience hours**

For me the link brought me back here to the "What are my chances?" thread... And there was another thread titled "Do I Stand A Chance??" that when clicked re-routes back to here like some voodoo magic.

Dyachei can do voodoo magic :eek:
tumblr_inline_mskutxf48R1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Stansey, your GPA is really good and your experiences are diverse. I would suggest building up more experience this summer and study hard for the GRE. I'm not a good standardize test taker either and I definitely struggled with the GRE. I don't know about the other two schools but I know Auburn doesn't weigh the GRE as much as some schools do. My GRE was pretty low and I was still accepted to Auburn. I'm not saying it's okay to slack on the GRE, I'm just saying not to loose hope if you don't get a high score. Just work hard for it and I'm sure you'll do fine. I suggest taking it sooner rather than later so you can take it again if you aren't satisfied with your score. Good luck and if you have any specific questions about applying to Auburn, PM me and I'm happy to help. :)

I am a rising Senior in college and I am about to start working on my VMCAS. I always been worried about my chances of getting into any vet school because of the time that I have dedicated to athletics during my high school and college careers. I am also concerned about the GRE...I am not the best test taker. My current grades certainly do not reflect my intelligence when it comes to information covered on standardized tests. So hopefully my GPA will make up for that. I am just going to list a few important qualities pertaining to my application, so I don't bog down everyone on this forum. If anyone would kindly let me know if there is anything that I need to improve to better my chances of being accepted, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Vet Experience:
Suturing (~3 hours)

Animal Experience:
Pet owner (dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, donkeys, burrows, guinea pigs, snakes) for 21 years (not sure if this counts for anything)

On campus job throughout college (masonry- 1 year; barn- 2 years; gym/barn- current)
Pre-Vet club member

I am applying to UGA, OSU (Oklahoma not Ohio), and Auburn. I knocked Cornell and MSU off of my list recently.

**None of my high school accomplishments are listed other than vet and animal experience hours**

Vet Experience:
Suturing (~3 hours)

Animal Experience:

Pre-Vet club member

Your weakest area is vet experience. It would be helpful if you could include all of your vet and animal experience hours so that we could properly assess that.

Your grades and extra-curriculars are fine. For the GRE, you can look into classes or individual prep; take lots and lots of practice tests to get yourself in the standardized test mindset, and look for test prep books that provide tips for standardized tests specifically. Good lcuk :)

Your weakest area is vet experience. It would be helpful if you could include all of your vet and animal experience hours so that we could properly assess that.

Your grades and extra-curriculars are fine. For the GRE, you can look into classes or individual prep; take lots and lots of practice tests to get yourself in the standardized test mindset, and look for test prep books that provide tips for standardized tests specifically. Good lcuk :)

Unfortunately, I don't have much time this summer for any additional vet experience due to summer classes, work, and research. However, I think that once I tally up all of my vet experience hours I should be pretty solid...hopefully! Again, I don't really know if I am in a good place. Fingers crossed for sure! Thank you very much for your advice :happy:

Hi Stansey, your GPA is really good and your experiences are diverse. I would suggest building up more experience this summer and study hard for the GRE. I'm not a good standardize test taker either and I definitely struggled with the GRE. I don't know about the other two schools but I know Auburn doesn't weigh the GRE as much as some schools do. My GRE was pretty low and I was still accepted to Auburn. I'm not saying it's okay to slack on the GRE, I'm just saying not to loose hope if you don't get a high score. Just work hard for it and I'm sure you'll do fine. I suggest taking it sooner rather than later so you can take it again if you aren't satisfied with your score. Good luck and if you have any specific questions about applying to Auburn, PM me and I'm happy to help. :)

I will definitely PM you with anything questions/confusions that I come across with my Auburn application. Thank you! :)

I graduated in 2013 and am applying this year for the second time.

GPA: 3.1
Science: unsure (low)
Last 45: 3.4

GRE verbal: 153 (58%)
GRE quantitative: 160 (78%)
(will be retaking GRE very soon)

Vet experience:
Small animal hospital 2010-2011: 1500 hours
Small animal hospital 2013-present: 1200+ hours
Volunteer at Petting Zoo 2013-2014: 140 hours
Volunteer at Zoo Hospital 2014-present: 40+ hours
Dog sitting: 80 hours

Research experience:
Chemistry laboratory volunteer: 2000 hours
Chemistry laboratory employee: 3000 hours
(did research on synthetic chemistry. had my own project and was attempting to finish a first author paper, but not got a chance because I moved back home after graduating)

Other:
High school - Water Polo MVPx2, MIP, First-All Team, Hall of Fame
College - WIRA Men's 2nd Varsity rowing champion (regional championship)
Hospital volunteering 2005-2008: 250 hours
Water Polo Coaching 2013-2014: 300+ hours

Letters of Recommendation:
PI from chemistry lab
biochemistry professor in college
Vet from first animal hospital
Vet from current animal hospital
Vet from current animal hospital who left and owns own clinic
Zoo board of education

I applied last year kind of knowing I wouldn't get in. A low GPA with that kind of GRE score, I would be lucky. But I heard that vet schools like to see applicants reapply showing what they have done in the last year or so. Since my last application, I've been coaching my high school water polo team, volunteering weekly at the local zoo (petting zoo department), and just recently picked up another gig at the hospital inside of the zoo. All of this while working full time at a small animal hospital. During this year, I'll continue to work full time at the hospital, will be coaching another season, and will keep volunteering at the hospital at the zoo. I will be retaking my GRE's in hopes of getting my scores up a bit higher (vocab cards FTW), and I'm taking a public speaking class to broaden my scope of schools to apply to. I really want to apply to all of the ones I qualify for (in terms of prerequisites). I'm not drowning in money, but if it increases my chances of getting in somewhere I'm willing to do it. I'm not sure if vet schools are okay with seeing someone applying to 15 schools. I don't expect to get into the top tier schools (many rumors about them discarding anything below a 3.7) but I'm applying to a few anyway. Last year I applied to Davis, Cornell, Colorado State, Missouri, and Illinois. This year I'll be backing off Davis and Colorado, but will be adding a lot schools instead. Is this a safe move? Have I been making the right moves in my last year? Is there anything else I can do? And most importantly, do I have a chance?! Thanks for taking the time to read this and criticism is welcome, I know my GPA is crap =\

Vet experience:

Research experience:
(did research on synthetic chemistry. had my own project and was attempting to finish a first author paper, but not got a chance because I moved back home after graduating)

Other:

PI from chemistry lab
Zoo board of education

I applied last year kind of knowing I wouldn't get in. A low GPA with that kind of GRE score, I would be lucky. But I heard that vet schools like to see applicants reapply showing what they have done in the last year or so. Since my last application, I've been coaching my high school water polo team, volunteering weekly at the local zoo (petting zoo department), and just recently picked up another gig at the hospital inside of the zoo. All of this while working full time at a small animal hospital. During this year, I'll continue to work full time at the hospital, will be coaching another season, and will keep volunteering at the hospital at the zoo. I will be retaking my GRE's in hopes of getting my scores up a bit higher (vocab cards FTW), and I'm taking a public speaking class to broaden my scope of schools to apply to. I really want to apply to all of the ones I qualify for (in terms of prerequisites). I'm not drowning in money, but if it increases my chances of getting in somewhere I'm willing to do it. I'm not sure if vet schools are okay with seeing someone applying to 15 schools. I don't expect to get into the top tier schools (many rumors about them discarding anything below a 3.7) but I'm applying to a few anyway. Last year I applied to Davis, Cornell, Colorado State, Missouri, and Illinois. This year I'll be backing off Davis and Colorado, but will be adding a lot schools instead. Is this a safe move? Have I been making the right moves in my last year? Is there anything else I can do? And most importantly, do I have a chance?! Thanks for taking the time to read this and criticism is welcome, I know my GPA is crap =\

I would definitely apply as broadly as you can afford to while avoiding those that like cumulative GPA (like Missouri and VMRCVM) and/or don't accept many OOS applicants (UC Davis and UGA being the big ones in my mind). Since your last 45 shows a decent upward trend, you might consider places like KSU or Minnesota; Illinois has a grade forgiveness program that you might look in to.

As for making the right moves, did you contact the schools that rejected you for file reviews? I would have advised you to take more classes to boost your last 45 since your vet, animal and research experience is already solid but that's essentially water under the bridge now. Plenty of us around here have gotten in with really low GPAs so you still have a shot, but applying very broadly is going to be important, as is selling your last 45 to show improvement.

Good luck! :)

So I'm applying to vet school in the fall (I'm a junior, rising senior since I'm in finals week right now) and I'm getting pretty nervous. What do my chances look like?

Currently Attending: Cornell University (Biology major)
GPA: 3.958, but it's going down slightly this semester because I know I got at least one B.
Science GPA: Unknown but above a 4.0 for sure; I only got one B in a science class (probably two after this semester) and I got an A+ in both semesters of general and organic chemistry, as well as the first semester of physics.

GRE Verbal: 169 (99th percentile)
GRE Math: 167 (95th percentile)

Vet Experience:
At least 4-500 hours at small animal hospitals. Almost certainly more but I don't have my book on me at the moment.
45 hours at a 24 hour specialized/referral small animal hospitals (the ones that do the really complicated, intensive, and technical procedures)
About 50 hours of equine veterinary experience
I'm doing about 20 more hours of equine veterinary experience and at least 350 hours of 24-hour specialized/referral hospital veterinary experience (small animal) this summer.

Animal experience:
Over 500 hours volunteering at an animal shelter (and I got over 400 animals adopted in that time)
Does raising pets count? If so, include my dog, and raising two litters of gerbils--all of them survived.
About 300 hours working with raptors. This includes feeding them, caring for them, health care checks, and education. The program does captive breeding, rehabilitation, and education. We have over 40 birds of all different species.

Research:
Nothing worth listing. I never got into research. This is where I'm most nervous.

Other:
High School: Some research/field work re-introducing trout in a nearby park
High School Swim Team
Pre-Vet society
A couple of environmental clubs

I'm going to ask the equine vet for a letter (I know him well despite the few hours), still figuring out which other vet I want to ask, and my physics professor. Maybe my organic chemistry professor too.

Schools applying: My top choice is Cornell. I'm also applying to UPenn, Tufts, Ohio State, probably UC Davis, and then I need to look further because there's a few other places I'll be applying. I'm from New York if that helps.

As you can see, my grades and GRE scores are fantastic and I think my vet experience is pretty good too. But I don't have any research. I never wanted to do it and I never had the time for it. I want to specialize in surgery or emergency medicine.

So, what do you think my odds are?

So I'm applying to vet school in the fall (I'm a junior, rising senior since I'm in finals week right now) and I'm getting pretty nervous. What do my chances look like?

GPA: 3.958, but it's going down slightly this semester because I know I got at least one B.
Science GPA: Unknown but above a 4.0 for sure; I only got one B in a science class (probably two after this semester) and I got an A+ in both semesters of general and organic chemistry, as well as the first semester of physics.

Vet Experience:
At least 4-500 hours at small animal hospitals. Almost certainly more but I don't have my book on me at the moment.
45 hours at a 24 hour specialized/referral small animal hospitals (the ones that do the really complicated, intensive, and technical procedures)
I'm doing about 20 more hours of equine veterinary experience and at least 350 hours of 24-hour specialized/referral hospital veterinary experience (small animal) this summer.

Animal experience:
Over 500 hours volunteering at an animal shelter (and I got over 400 animals adopted in that time)
Does raising pets count? If so, include my dog, and raising two litters of gerbils--all of them survived.
About 300 hours working with raptors. This includes feeding them, caring for them, health care checks, and education. The program does captive breeding, rehabilitation, and education. We have over 40 birds of all different species.

Research:
Nothing worth listing. I never got into research. This is where I'm most nervous.

Other:
High School Swim Team
Pre-Vet society

I'm going to ask the equine vet for a letter (I know him well despite the few hours), still figuring out which other vet I want to ask, and my physics professor. Maybe my organic chemistry professor too.

Schools applying: My top choice is Cornell. I'm also applying to UPenn, Tufts, Ohio State, probably UC Davis, and then I need to look further because there's a few other places I'll be applying. I'm from New York if that helps.

As you can see, my grades and GRE scores are fantastic and I think my vet experience is pretty good too. But I don't have any research. I never wanted to do it and I never had the time for it. I want to specialize in surgery or emergency medicine.

Your application looks great and I would be surprised if you weren't accepted somewhere. The lack of research may be an issue for Penn specifically but since the rest of your application is so strong, I don't think it's a deal breaker at all. I would just focus on talking about what you have done/enjoyed/etc.

Your application looks great and I would be surprised if you weren't accepted somewhere. The lack of research may be an issue for Penn specifically but since the rest of your application is so strong, I don't think it's a deal breaker at all. I would just focus on talking about what you have done/enjoyed/etc.

I think it depends more on if you want to go into research. The supplemental asks for your area of interest and then how many hours you have in that area (unless things have changed). I had absolutely no research unless they took my lab assistant job that I did throughout undergrad and included it in that category.

Vet experience:

Research experience:

Other:

PI from chemistry lab
Zoo board of education

I think you definitely are doing the right things this year in terms of gaining experience...would it be at all possible to take even one other course? You seem super busy, but some online courses, like Berkeley, let you go at you own pace and give you six months to finish. If you still need genetics, nutrition, or any non-lab science course then taking one of these online, in evenings, etc., would boost your science and last 45 GPAs!

Also although you have a ton of vet hours most seem to be in small animal. I think that schools understand if this is your full-time, paid job, of course this is where you will have the most hours, but diversifying even a little would be good! Just bump up the hours at the zoo hospital and maybe try to shadow a large animal vet!

Also a hint for the GRE (just from my experience, may not help everyone!) vocab memorization is not the best way to boost the verbal score because there is simply a near infinite supply of words they would use! I would study prefixes, suffixes, word roots, etc, so that you have rules you can apply to almost any word! Also if you have taken any of the Romance languages, brush up a bit because some unusual GRE words are heavily rooted in other languages...I was a French major and somehow ended up with the word "fete" on my GRE , which I know well from French but I have never EVER heard anyone use in English! Good luck :)

Vet Experience:

Animal experience:

Research:

Other:
High School Swim Team
Pre-Vet society

Well your stats look great and you go to a good university (which does boost up your chances at some schools, whether thy say this openly or not), and experiences look good as well! One thing to note...most colleges/universities do not go above 4.0 (I've actually not heard of anywhere but cornell doing this!) even with A+a, and because of that when you enter your grades in VMCAS, A+s count for the as As points wise. Not that it really makes a difference in your chances, just a heads up!

Also do you have other extracurriculars not vet/animal related in university? Maybe you just didn't list them here, but you should DEFINITELY include them in your apps in some way. Vet schools like a diverse group of students in interests, experiences, etc so they really like to see people who are doing interesting things outside the world of vet medicine/science in general! I spent a great deal of my Tufts interview (and got accepted) talking about working on writing and illustrating children's books that I hope to someday get published! So my advice for this summer/next year is spend a little less time in the veterinary world and do something different that you enjoy...be in a play, take dance classes, go backpacking, whatever you are passionate about!

Also sorry if this sounds overly harsh or critical, but I think it's really important advice! Vet schools generally are trying to reduce the "cut-throat" attitude or academic competition in general (at my Penn interview they described the class atmosphere as "survival of the nicest"), because in the end classmates, colleagues in the future and your patients will all benefit from cooperation, not competition! I know this is SDN and you are just trying to present your stats, but talking about the number of A+s (or actually mentioning A+a in general) as well as talking about only having one B, etc., may make adcoms see you as someone who is overly focused on grades and going to be uber competitive, and in general they probably won't like that. So while you should certainly be proud of your academic achievements, just know that your GPA and scores are good, and admissions committees can see this easily, so focus on being yourself and explaining your passion in your application/interviews:) best of luck!

Wildvet, I never thought about how trying to boost your grades in your app can seem cutthroat, that's definitely a new perspective that I wasn't aware of =)

I don't think trying to 'boost' your grades is bad...if you have any issues with lower grades (like maybe not doing so well freshman year, have a family illness, etc) resulting in an upward trend, then drawing attention to where you did well/playing up your academic strengths is great! Just that when you have excellent grades there is no need to explain anything about them/play them up, so people will wonder why you are focusing on grades when they are very clearly strong!

Thanks guys! That does make me feel better. As for extracurriculars and outside interests, I have a lot. Thing is I'm a bit of an introvert so they're things like reading and hiking, which I do regardless. I guess there's some stuff I could put on there. I do have a tutoring job as well. As for mentioning the letter grades in detail, I felt a bit of context was necessary because my grades for the semester aren't out yet but I wanted to mention which way they're headed. As for organic chemistry...look, I busted my ass for those A+s and I'm proud of them, especially with the class's fearsome reputation.

Still, I'm not particularly cutthroat. I'm extremely competitive, but only with myself. I'm always helping out people in classes if thy're struggling, and I don't subscribe to the competitive aspect of things.

Thanks guys! That does make me feel better. As for extracurriculars and outside interests, I have a lot. Thing is I'm a bit of an introvert so they're things like reading and hiking, which I do regardless. I guess there's some stuff I could put on there. I do have a tutoring job as well. As for mentioning the letter grades in detail, I felt a bit of context was necessary because my grades for the semester aren't out yet but I wanted to mention which way they're headed. As for organic chemistry...look, I busted my ass for those A+s and I'm proud of them, especially with the class's fearsome reputation.

Still, I'm not particularly cutthroat. I'm extremely competitive, but only with myself. I'm always helping out people in classes if thy're struggling, and I don't subscribe to the competitive aspect of things.

And that's fine. You have absolutely every right to be proud of all that. Just be aware that grade/GPA talk can quickly make things tense in vet school. No one wants to know it in vet school and employers don't care about it afterwards.

Yes I understand...that's why I said you should be proud of your achievements! It's just that vet schools have only a short essay or two and under an hour of conversation to get to know how you will fit in to the "personality" of their class, so they don't have the context thy your friends/family/fellow SDNers will have in terms of your personality...I'm just saying it's really easy to give the wrong impression of yourself in that short a period of time, so best to stay clear of ANYTHING that could come off wrong! :)

Also definitely mention your hiking/reading/etc! An activity or interest does not have to be formal organized for it to "count", it just makes you an your unique personality stand out!

Haha, thanks. I know better than to mention that on an essay! But yeah, I guess I should mention those.

I should get back to studying for finals first though.

But does the other stuff looks good for vet school, particularly Cornell? Though I guess you answered that already.

24 year-old, 2nd time female applicant. Lifetime VA resident. Waitlisted at Wisconsin and VMRCVM, though not holding my breath about getting off either of their waitlists this year.
Academics:
Graduated Hollins University with a B.S. in biology magna cum laude, GPA: 3.8
Studied abroad for a semester in Ireland
I don't remember the exact other stats off the top of my head, but my science GPA and last 45 credit hours GPA > 3.9
GRE: (I took it in 2011, so old scoring system which schools told me still was ok) V: 590 (84%) Q: 740 (80%) W: 3.0 (10%, ouch)

Veterinary Experience:Volunteer at my local zoo's veterinary hospital (at time of application, I had undergone a tour and had a start date, currently at ~100 hours)
Work as a veterinary assistant at SA clinic, made sure to emphasize the nontraditional treatments like acupuncture offered there to make it more unique, and that they're currently teaching me how to perform blood draws :) (at time of app, 1,111 hours, currently around 1,500 hours)
Rode along w/large animal veterinarian (29 hours)
Career internship at equine hospital (100 hours)
Worked as a veterinary assistant as a small, feline only practice (887 hours)
Volunteered at a small animal hospital, which also treated some injured wildlife and exotics (185 hours)
Interned at equine ambulatory service (156 hours)

Animal Experience:
Working student at a barn (350 hours at time of application, probably ~450 currently)
Volunteer at my local zoo's reptile house (530 hours at time of application, ~600 currently)
Performed work study through my university's barn (1,107 hours), and took lessons there (~600 hours)
Working student at my old instructor's barn, including assisting w/her summer camps and teaching children (550 hours)
Pet ownership-cats, dogs, hamsters, fish (2000 hours)
Pet sitter-cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, rabbits, birds, a turtle, and a lizard several of which needed medicating daily (750 hours)
Summer Equine Camp Counselor (750 hours)

Research Experience:
Microbiology research on the prevalence of microorganisms in soda fountains (work included culturing, isolating, I.D.ing, testing for antibiotic resistance) work was published by professors (240 hours)
Senior research project testing carbohydrate's effect on probiotic bacteria's antifungal activity, had to generate formal lab report and a poster for seminar (150 hours)

Other Experience:
Worked very briefly as a pool receptionist, until I found out I could be working with horses instead that summer (65 hours)
Volunteered w/my mom at church's food pantry
Year on high school's Track team, member of my university's cross country club all four years and served as treasurer for most of that time

Awards:
Sigma Xi and Phi Beta Kappa inductee
A Riding Scholarship
An award given at university based on "outstanding academic performance in the natural sciences"
Honor Student/Dean's List
Graduated from high school w/an AP Diploma w/distinction
Received an orchestra award in high school essentially for contributions to the orchestra, as I performed w/the advanced orchestra and assisted the teacher/helped teach students in the intermediate orchestra

Personal Statement:When I went to NC state's admissions information session last summer (since they don't offer application reviews to waitlisters) they said to "focus on the reality, not the romanticism." So I started off talking about how I was not interested in veterinary medicine from a young age b/c I didn't like science until college, then basically my progression through experiences in veterinary medicine and what I learned from each, a bit about my career goals (though still not confident if I want exotics or horse more) and finished up talking about the qualities I posses that are unique and would make me a great veterinarian.

eLOR's:
Bio professor from undergrad
SA vet from my current work place
LA vet I rode along with
current riding instructor

So I am beyond frustrated at this point, and would appreciate any advice on my application for next year since I'm pretty confident I'm not getting in this year. The only school that offered an application review that I applied to last year was Wisconsin, and I did EVERYTHING she suggested, and moved up from 98th on the waitlist last year to 86th this year. Supposedly VA tech waitlisted me based on the interview, and I don't know why I went from waitlisted at NC state last year to rejected this year. Am I missing something or is just because Wisconsin and NC state are so competitive to get into?

Posting on here again b/c I've now undergone two file reviews. Wisconsin suggested I retake the GRE, but my second review said no-should I? Secondly, they told me my LOR "clearly think highly of me" so I feel confident keeping my bio professor and the SA vet, but I was thinking of replacing the LA vet with someone from my zoo's vet hospital since I now have significantly more time there (almost 200 hours), but I primarily interact w/and work w/the vet techs so is it a bad idea to ask one of them as opposed to one of their veterinarians? Or maybe keep the SA and LA vet, bio professor, and a vet tech from the zoo hospital?

Lastly, I was debating on what schools to apply to next year. I'm thinking definitely Wisconsin, Georgia, and Missouri, but I'm also considering Auburn, NC State, and VA Tech. I didn't really want to apply to more than five, and initially I was thinking on definitely dropping Tech and NC state, but the more I research other programs, the more I realize I like theirs. I'm working on getting feedback from Tech on the interview, any suggestions though on what schools may be more likely to admit me with what I have (even schools not on my list) and I what I can do in the next few months to improve?

Posting on here again b/c I've now undergone two file reviews. Wisconsin suggested I retake the GRE, but my second review said no-should I? Secondly, they told me my LOR "clearly think highly of me" so I feel confident keeping my bio professor and the SA vet, but I was thinking of replacing the LA vet with someone from my zoo's vet hospital since I now have significantly more time there (almost 200 hours), but I primarily interact w/and work w/the vet techs so is it a bad idea to ask one of them as opposed to one of their veterinarians? Or maybe keep the SA and LA vet, bio professor, and a vet tech from the zoo hospital?

Lastly, I was debating on what schools to apply to next year. I'm thinking definitely Wisconsin, Georgia, and Missouri, but I'm also considering Auburn, NC State, and VA Tech. I didn't really want to apply to more than five, and initially I was thinking on definitely dropping Tech and NC state, but the more I research other programs, the more I realize I like theirs. I'm working on getting feedback from Tech on the interview, any suggestions though on what schools may be more likely to admit me with what I have (even schools not on my list) and I what I can do in the next few months to improve?

From skimming over your stats I would think there might be something wrong with how you interview or maybe your admission essays/personal statement. Your stats look good to me and I wouldn't retake the GRE. Maybe you are just applying at the wrong schools or highly competitive schools and you aren't standing out from the crowd.

I think it's best to have a letter from a vet over a tech, and it doesn't sound like there was anything wrong with the original writers (and in fact they all sounded like good letters!) so I don't think I'd change it up personally.

If you're planning to reapply to Wisconsin, retaking the GRE was their advice and I'd probably take it, especially since it was the old test and I'm not sure if the old tests are still valid (the new have been around a few years now).

I see nothing wrong with asking the techs you work with for a recommendation, if that's who you work mostly with. My rule of thumb with LORs, ask people who really know you. For instance, I volunteer in my school's SA Neuro department, and I closely work with the techs while the doctors rotate almost every block, so I had trouble finding a vet that knew me as well as the techs did.

TL;DR a tech letter that knows you very well is just as good as a vet letter imo

Okay, this is my first time posting (note the conspicuous absence of an avatar ;). Mine is a strange story. I started college three days after my fifteenth birthday, in 2009. My parents are both physicians for people, and although I grew up on a farm and have been addicted to animals for my entire life, I never considered a career in veterinary medicine until now, in my first year of medical school in Haifa, Israel. I realize that my passion for medicine is no stronger than my love for animals and my interest in helping animal owners. Okay, now it gets REALLY crazy. On weekends, I take the train for one hour to Tel Aviv, where I walk for 2 more miles to reach the SPCA, where I work for 6 more hours under an Israeli summer sun walking and training dogs, guiding visitors through the kennels, and grooming the cats. It is exhausting, especially since right now I am in the middle of med school midterms (aahhhh!!!!), but I wouldn't give it up for anything. I have pretty limited veterinary clinic experience, but I really really want to apply this cycle. My stats are below:

GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.9

Honors/Awards:

· Earned a 4-year Presidential Academic Honor Scholarship
· Earned Dean’s List every semester enrolled
· Member of Phi Eta Sigma Freshmen Academic Honor Society
· Member of Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
· Member of Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society
· Member of Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society
· Oustanding Molecular Biology Senior at Stetson University 2013
· Winner of Stetson University’s Dorothy Fuller Molecular Biology Award 2013
· Honorable Mention for Outstanding Research Poster Presentation at Undergraduate Research Symposium 2013

Animal experience:
11,500 hrs farm work, training horses, dogs, syringe feeding baby parrot, managing egg business (I grew up on a farm :)
110 hrs SPCA volunteer work

Other:
· Interned for ~150 hours at Florida Hospital in Deland
· Shadowed ~20 hours in breast oncology department at Florida Hospital in Tampa
· Volunteered for ~30 hours in Florida Hospital’s Obstetrics Unit
· Attended the Senior Citizens’ Pesach Seder and Chanukah parties for three years to entertain and visit with elderly nursing home residents
· Volunteered at the Jewish Federation for ~200 hours—packed and sorted boxes to be distributed to underprivileged families in central Florida
· Established a free, all-day babysitting service for Orlando Jewish Community mothers—available every Saturday, 2011-2013
· Tutored 300 hours in college-level chemistry, physics, mathematics
· Worked 14 hours in Stetson University Theatre Costume Department
· 450 hours neurobehavioral research with lab animals (did surgical electrode implantation, stimulation, immunohistochemical staining and cell count)
· Volunteered 112 hours at SPCA in Tel Aviv

So, my question is this: do I have a shot? My first choice vet school is UF, as my instate school. If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys.

Okay, this is my first time posting (note the conspicuous absence of an avatar ;). Mine is a strange story. I started college three days after my fifteenth birthday, in 2009. My parents are both physicians for people, and although I grew up on a farm and have been addicted to animals for my entire life, I never considered a career in veterinary medicine until now, in my first year of medical school in Haifa, Israel. I realize that my passion for medicine is no stronger than my love for animals and my interest in helping animal owners. Okay, now it gets REALLY crazy. On weekends, I take the train for one hour to Tel Aviv, where I walk for 2 more miles to reach the SPCA, where I work for 6 more hours under an Israeli summer sun walking and training dogs, guiding visitors through the kennels, and grooming the cats. It is exhausting, especially since right now I am in the middle of med school midterms (aahhhh!!!!), but I wouldn't give it up for anything. I have pretty limited veterinary clinic experience, but I really really want to apply this cycle. My stats are below:

Honors/Awards:

· Honorable Mention for Outstanding Research Poster Presentation at Undergraduate Research Symposium 2013

Animal experience:
11,500 hrs farm work, training horses, dogs, syringe feeding baby parrot, managing egg business (I grew up on a farm :)

Other:
· Attended the Senior Citizens’ Pesach Seder and Chanukah parties for three years to entertain and visit with elderly nursing home residents
· Volunteered at the Jewish Federation for ~200 hours—packed and sorted boxes to be distributed to underprivileged families in central Florida
· Established a free, all-day babysitting service for Orlando Jewish Community mothers—available every Saturday, 2011-2013
· 450 hours neurobehavioral research with lab animals (did surgical electrode implantation, stimulation, immunohistochemical staining and cell count)

So, my question is this: do I have a shot? My first choice vet school is UF, as my instate school. If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys.
Hey there QuiryDoc, and welcome to SDN! :)

Your GPA is looking great! Have you thought about taking the GRE anytime soon?

I think (to me) the biggest thing here is obtaining Veterinary experience. It looks like you got some animal, but veterinary experience (shadowing a vet counts) is a must (not to mention some schools require at least one veterinarian to write one of your letters of recommendation).

One question that might be asked during an application cycle is why you are making the switch over to vet med. Have you really thought about why vet med would be right for you, and why human medicine isn't? Have you explored what vet med really entails, or are you still looking at the surface?

Good luck! :luck:

BTW, the new avatar is my precious baby, Tooki :)
Aww soo precious!!! Love African Greys, I have two myself :) anyways welcome to SDN! Your GPA looks great and your animal experience and awards look good too. Only thing that concerns me is the vet experience. Your hours are low and it needs more diversity. UF likes to see diverse vet experience. Also, when do you plan on taking the GRE? I'm sure you won't have a problem with it but I would take it soon. Good luck! It sounds like you are on the right track.

Honors/Awards:

Animal experience:

Other:

I agree with Ashgirl. I think if you can get veterinary hours there, due to your good GPA, you have a good shot. But this cycle opens up on June and ends in October. So, I think if you can dedicate getting veterinary hours for the whole summer and put that down, you might have a good shot. They will want to know why you are switching from human to animal med, and they would want to make sure that you actually worked in a veterinary environment. They would want to see that you know the realities of vet med and still wanna go through with it. Your research experience is good and may be enough for some schools even (I think VMRCVM puts a big emphasis on research, I don't know about UF), but most schools want to see a variety of veterinary experience. I would try to get some small animal and some large animal experience there.
Get those veterinary hours and I think you would have a good shot. Good luck! :)

Honors/Awards:

Animal experience:

Other:

What you're lacking right now is a GRE score, veterinary experience and a vet to write you a letter of rec. If you can get those things accomplished by the time applications are due in October, you can at least apply.

The thing is, while I think your dedication to the SPCA is admirable, you haven't had the chance to work with animals in a veterinary setting and that is crucial to understanding the field and solidifying your decision to switch over to vet med. You say your passion for human med "is no greater than" that for animals and their owners, but with the way the veterinary economy is right now (and especially in contrast to the comparatively lucrative field of human med) your desire to pursue vet med should be strongly considered before applying (at least this cycle, in my opinion). I expect most admissions committees would want to see adequate exposure to vet med over human med and a strong reason to change over.

Honors/Awards:

Animal experience:

Other:

Hi Quirky! Welcome to vet med!
So I have two answers to your question...do I think you have a shot in a cycle or two? Yes! Do I think you have a chance this coming cycle (class of 2019)? Probably not.

Sorry to be more pessimistic than some of the other posters, but I just don think it would be realistic for this cycle (despite the fact that you have good grades) for several reasons...

1) The GRE. Even if you have MCAT scores already, most vet schools don't accept those. I don't know about Israel specifically, but I tried to take the GRE abroad (France) and there were only a few dates a year for testing and only in three cities, so It might be difficult for you to take the GRE abroad, and will probably take longer to get your scores back and almost impossible to retake it on time for this cycle If you need to retake it.

2) Veterinary hours. As people have said above, you NEED a significant number of veterinary experience hours (a lot of schools have a 500 hour minimum, but most accepted applicants have 1000+). While your farm experience will look great, it does not negate the need for veterinary hours. Without spending time around vets in several different settings, schools will think you cannot possibly know if you want to become a vet. Not to mention you are required to have at least one recommendation from a vet, and they should know you pretty well!

It sounds like you are in the middle of your med school year? If so, it will be almost impossible to get in the hours you need before application time. If it's really hard to get in the 6 hours a week at the shelter, then it'll probably be just as difficult to get in time at a vet clinic. If I am misunderstanding and you are about to start your summer vacation, then getting in hours will be easier but still not easy, especially because a lot of pre-veterinary internships/jobs have already been filled for the summer.

3) State residency. Not sure about UF specifically, but I was planning to work abroad for part of my gap year after undergrad and my IS school said that, since I have graduated from undergrad and am therefore now considered "independent", if I was living out of my state for longer than a month (either abroad or in another state), I would no longer be considered a resident, even though my parents still lived in my home state and I had been a resident my entire life. So if you are hoping to apply to Florida in state, I would contact admissions and see what there policy is about retaining residency when you are out of the country.

4) Pre-requisites. Have you looked through the pre-reqs for an schools you are looking to apply to? Vet school often has different required courses than medical school...you might need to take nutrition, animal science, statistics or even public speaking. Unfortunately most vet schools do not consider courses taken at med schools as fulfilling these requirements.

5) Dedication/Seriousness. No matter how good your grades are, veterinary schools are definitely going to question how serious you are about becoming a vet because you left medical school part way through, you only decided to pursue vet medicine very recently, and because you are so young (19 was my calculation, right?). Whether it's fair or not, adcoms would probably look at your app for this cycle and see you as someone in the I'm-not-sure-what-I-want-to-do-with-my-life stage. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, especially at 19, vet schools want to give their seats to students that they feel have an excellent chance of finishing their DVM/VMD program. You are going to need a lot of hours with vets, some excellent letters of recommendation from people in the field and some really solid, experience-based personal statements to show schools that you are dedicated to veterinary medicine.

I know that this seems really overwhelming-- I switched from pre-med to pre-vet halfway through my junior year, and applied the fall of my senior year. I had managed about 1000 veterinary hours by that point but ended up getting wait listed with the feedback that although my stats were fine, the adcoms just weren't sure that I was completely dedicated to the profession. But the good news is I think that your excellent grades and extensive farm experience are a solid foundation for pursuing vet medicine, and your unique story will DEFINITELY make you stand out! You just need some more time to get what you need done, and you might need to leave medical school, head back to the US and get work in a veterinary setting. I think that in another cycle or two, you will be a very competitive applicant :)

P.S. I'm really jealous that you are living in Haifa...I've always wanted to visit! Maybe while you're there you could catch that mermaid...the million-dollar bounty would definitely help pay for vet school ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback, guys! I am registered to take the GRE, and have arranged to take animal nutrition and animal science online. Also, I have arranged to begin vet shadowing as soon as I return to the US in July. In my personal statement, I explain quite clearly why I am so certain that vet med is a better fit for me, so that shouldn't be a huge problem, especially if I can manage to get at least 500 hours with a vet by the time I send my VMCAS. I have two professors, one from undergrad and the other from my med school, who can write me letters supporting me in my decision to change careers, so if I can get one from a vet, then I should be set. It's a lot to think about! If anyone is willing to read my personal statement, here it is. It is a rough draft, so please bear that in mind (a few spots do not flow, and I have a few veterinary experiences to add). Do you think I covered my reasons for switching sufficiently, or is there something else that an ADCOM might want to know? It's a little challenging to know how to fit everything into 5000 characters!

PS:

The journey began twelve years ago, on my family’s farm in Deland, Florida. As a homeschooled farm kid who grew up milking cows, breaking and riding horses, and tending a large flock of chickens, I bonded with the animal world at an early age. For years, my best friend was an Orpington rooster—Davy—who I carried everywhere, even into my tree house and onto the tractor. When vets visited the farm to treat an ill animal or to administer vaccinations, I hovered nearby, trying to absorb information while keeping my furry friends calm. In school, I enjoyed every subject, but especially math and science, which explained the world and provided a basis for further inquiry. My parents, both physicians, encouraged my scientific bent and involved me in dinnertime medical discussions, annual surgical conferences, and house calls, where I gained an appreciation for the diagnostic detective work and compassionate attitude demanded of a physician. The privilege of channeling my love for science in such a worthwhile purpose triggered my pursuit of a medical career. When I entered Stetson University in 2009, at age fifteen, I majored in molecular biology and participated in pre-med activities, including serving as a biology teaching assistant. In home school, I had often tutored my younger brother, so I relished the opportunity to teach at a higher academic level. Aside from my official position as biology teaching assistant, I also tutored fellow students in calculus, chemistry, and physics, for the sheer pleasure of spreading a passion for science. In 2012, I assisted in research on hypothalamic modulation of feeding behavior in rats. This research entailed surgically implanting electrodes in the brain, sectioning the brains for slides, and performing staining protocols. Collecting my own data from lab animals tested my creativity and my ability to explain unexpected results, and increased my awareness of the significant yet largely unrecognized role that animals play in the advancement of human medicine. I presented, defended, and earned honorable mention for my research at Stetson’s Annual Research Symposium in 2013. Throughout my college career, I had continued my farm work, including syringe feeding a baby African Grey for his first year of life and rescuing a neglected mare with EPM; my unwavering dedication to animals and medicine clearly pointed to a calling in veterinary studies. Still, I ignored the signs, perhaps due to fear of others’ reaction to my switching career paths, my young age, or influence from my parents’ careers; after graduation, I matriculated to Technion Medical School in Haifa, Israel.

During my first year of medical school—a time of heavy introspection, immense personal growth, and my first time away from home—I began to honestly reexamine my satisfaction with human medicine as a lifetime career. While I loved learning the intricacies and applications of medicine, I missed the fulfillment and variety of working with animals. Moreover, I yearned for the camaraderie of working alongside other animal enthusiasts who shared my love for research, medicine, and teaching. Clearly, my calling lay not in human medicine, but rather in veterinary medicine. During second semester classes, I volunteered at the Tel Aviv SPCA, to gain experience in a shelter setting. On Thursdays and Fridays, I commuted by train to Tel Aviv, and then walked one and a half miles from the train station to the shelter. Despite this physically grueling arrangement, I enjoyed nurturing the animals and helping visitors to adopt a well-matched family member.

Recently, I have been accepted as a primate health intern at Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary in Gainesville, where I will work during summer 2015. I look forward to working with these amazing creatures and with the special people dedicated to their care. Working in the SPCA and shadowing Dr. Mattson have sparked my interest in shelter medicine and mixed animal medicine, and I am eager to gain even more diverse experiences throughout my education. Interning as a primate health apprentice will introduce me to rehabilitation and clinical care of primates, and will familiarize me with another fascinating veterinary specialty.

My indirect path to a veterinary career has enabled me to explore other fields, exposed me to diverse cultures and races, and honed my ability to consider ethical and analytical questions from varying perspectives. The successful completion of my first year of medical school demonstrates my self-discipline and commitment to learning for learning’s sake. This, together with my total dedication to human and animal health, affirms my calling in veterinary medicine. And I could not be happier about it.

Well sounds like you are definitely taking the right steps! I still stand by what I say, though, that adcoms will almost definitely want you to have spent more time in vet medicine than you will be able to get from July-October. Although you can update your schools about continued work, VMCAS requires that you only enter hours completed by time of submission, so the application that schools will use primarily to consider you will only have the hours up until October. Also I'm not sure how it's going to work this year, but last year VMCAS had this whole new transcript-verification process where your application cannot be submitted before they look through all of your transcripts and compare them to the courses you have entered....it takes two weeks or more and they will not begin until your entire application is submitted. So basically you have to get your application in by early September if you want it to make it to schools on time.

There is certainly no harm in applying (other than application fees) and if you get in this cycle, great! If not, it is good practice for future cycles. But just be aware that no matter how good your stats are, they WILL give heavy consideration to the fact that you decided on vet medicine so recently, even if your love for animals has been with you for years. So just don't be discouraged if it takes more than one cycle...I really think you have a great chance once you get enough experience, it's just that you simply cannot accumulate vet hours without a good chunk of time to gain that experience!

I don't know if all schools do this, but some admissions counselors will have phone/skype/in person meetings with you that, although they certainly won't tell you whether to apply or not, will give you some idea if you are on the right track and how much more you need to do to be considered a strong applicant. This is really the best way to get advice about your unique situation...straight from the source :)

Also just FYI, it's not the greatest idea to post your personal statement publicly online...most people will advise you against this, because not only could someone potentially plagiarize, but if an admissions person decides to google any part of your essay to see if YOU copied it, this post will come up and they can't verify if it is you who originally wrote it or not. Usually if people want feedback on a PS they will ask on a thread if anyone is willing to look it over, then PM their essay to the people who say 'yes'. Still not perfectly secure, but that way it is not out publicly on the internet.

To me your personal statement looks good...well written and pretty concise...however since you have not started your formal veterinary experiences yet, I would advise putting the essay aside for now and not going back to it until after several hundred veterinary hours are under your belt. I say this because while the information on your background will stay the same, you may encounter somthing really inspiring and powerful in your vet work that you want to frame your essay around!

Wow, wildvet, you are helpful! I didn't realize that plagiarism was such a risk on SDN. I am scheduled to tour UF in September, but I think it's a great idea to meet with someone before then. Thanks :)

Haha glad I could help! I worked in admissions in undergrad, so I am kind of having application-advice-withdrawal now that I've graduated. Also I don't think (I hope not) that plagiarism is a hugh thing within the SDN community, it's more that the boards are visible to the general public that poses a problem!

Haha glad I could help! I worked in admissions in undergrad, so I am kind of having application-advice-withdrawal now that I've graduated. Also I don't think (I hope not) that plagiarism is a hugh thing within the SDN community, it's more that the boards are visible to the general public that poses a problem!

Good point!

Hey guys!

I've posted here before, but that was over a year ago. A lot has changed in my life, and I just wanted some feedback as to how to approach this upcoming application process. This will be my second time applying, and I'm planning on applying to UGA(IS), Auburn, Florida, Miss St, and Ok St. I graduated from UGA in December 2013.

GPA: 3.14
Last 45: Probably around the same. Unimpressive.
I was in an abusive/codependent relationship for the second half of my undergraduate career. The semester before I started dating him, I finally figured out college and got Dean's List. However, this relationship affected my studies in a HUGE way. Got rid of him a couple months ago, but now I'm taking post-bacc classes at Athens Tech to help out with that. I'll obviously explain all of this in my explanation statement.

GRE:
First round: Verbal: 152 (53%)
Math: 158 (72%)
Writing: 4.0 (54%)
Second round: Verbal: 156 (70%)
Math: 153 (53%)
Writing: 4.0 (54%)
UGA is my top choice, and they take the best score out of each section of the GRE, which is why I only focused on improving my verbal score the second round.

Vet Experience:
Small Animal: 852.5 at 2 different small animal practices. One was a job, and one was shadowing.
Large Animal: ~30 and counting as a volunteer in UGA vet school.
Small Animal w/ exotics: ~100 and counting as a vet assistant.
Wildlife/Zoo: 12 shadowing the veterinarian from my zoo internship last summer.

Animal Experience:
Over 600 hours interning at a zoo/wildlife center/petting zoo last summer.
Over 1000 hours training and showing horses in AQHA.
Around 50 hours as a zoo volunteer, taking care of reptiles.
Probably more, but those are the long term ones.

Non-animal Employment:
Retail - 1 summer
Bartending - 1 year and counting

Research: None :(

Extra-Curricular Activities:
Leader of campus ministry - 1 year as elderly caregiver, 2 years as worship leader
Different Choirs
Voice Lessons
Volleyball
Tennis
Pre-Vet Club
Vacation Bible School leader
Taught 3rd grade science once a week for a year

Awards:
Dean's List 1 semester
I can't remember if high school stuff counts, but I earned the National Choral Award and the Academic-Athletic Award. I was also in NHS and Beta Club every year I could have been.

ELORS:
Tech from small animal hospital I used to work at
Vet from small animal/exotics hospital I now work at
Zookeeper from zoo I interned at
Academic Advisor who taught one of my upper science classes, in which I got an A

Like I said, I'm currently taking a few classes over the summer. I'm also working as a bartender and a vet assistant at the small animal/exotic clinic, which adds up to about 35 hours of work a week. I am also continuing to volunteer at the UGA large animal hospital. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Since this is only my second cycle, I'm not yet looking into any overseas stuff or Western, since they're so expensive and far away from me.

Hii guys would be very helpful if you guys can give me feedback on my stats and my chances

cGPA: 3.05
Science/pre-req GPA: ~3.1
last 45 GPA: 3.75

GRE quant: 165 verbal: 160 writing: 4

Veterinary Experience:
250 hrs spay/neuter clinic
500 hrs small animal hospital
200 hrs wildlife internship
100 hrs equine hospital

Animal Experience:
30 hrs animal shelter

Research:
720 biophotonics lab with emphasis on biomedical applications (work presented at conference, co-author one paper)
420 industry-sponsored research (bioengineering)

Extracurriculars/Volunteer:
Innoworks 2012 summer program: staffer and mentor
a2f: helped plan and set up events
pre-vet society

I am looking particularly at MSU and UMN because they don't look at cumulative gpa. Thanks guys in advance for all the advice and help.

I am looking particularly at MSU and UMN because they don't look at cumulative gpa. Thanks guys in advance for all the advice and help.[/QUOTE]

Sorry forgot to mention I'm a California resident :/

Status
Not open for further replies.