This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I thought they just did the last 45. What if summer courses were taken to reach the 45?

For example I have:

Summer 2013 - 8 cr.
Fall 2013 - 17.66 cr.
Spring 2014 - 15 cr.
Summer 2014 - 4.66 cr.
----------------------------
Total = 45.32 cr.

This is what I've done since getting my Bachelor's. I assumed they'd use this. If they have to dig into my senior year I might as well throw in the towel now. :scared:
Some schools will include summer courses in the last last 45 GPA, some will only include semesters in which you were a full-time student, or specifically say they only include spring and fall. Research on the websites of schools you're interested in (or already applied to?), or call if their website doesn't say how they calculate the last 45.

But even if your last 45 isn't the greatest, if you've had an upward trend in those last couple semesters, schools will see that. Maybe focus your efforts on schools that don't calculate a last 45, or that take a less numbers-based approach to evaluating applicants. If your last 45 would be REALLY weak including the next semester back (like below a 3.0), it might be worth it to take another semester of courses if you're confident you could do well. It's probably too late for that if you applied for this cycle, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will include summer courses in the last last 45 GPA, some will only include semesters in which you were a full-time student, or specifically say they only include spring and fall. Research on the websites of schools you're interested in (or already applied to?), or call if their website doesn't say how they calculate the last 45.

But even if your last 45 isn't the greatest, if you've had an upward trend in those last couple semesters, schools will see that. Maybe focus your efforts on schools that don't calculate a last 45, or that take a less numbers-based approach to evaluating applicants. If your last 45 would be REALLY weak including the next semester back (like below a 3.0), it might be worth it to take another semester of courses if you're confident you could do well. It's probably too late for that if you applied for this cycle, though.

I already applied this semester. I specifically applied to Michigan and Minnesota because they don't look at cumulative, just last 45.

For my last 45 I have a 3.93. I only had a 3.2 my senior year - I know that's not horrible but it'll really knock down my last 45. :(

Did anyone apply for or are already admitted to CSU's DVM/PhD program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the likelihood of my acceptance into UC Davis with a 3.9 last 45 GPA and 3.5ish overall science GPA? I haven't taken the GRE yet, but assuming that I do really well in it (90%+) and get strong PPIs, what would my chances be of getting into UCD with my sci GPA on the low side? I'm a CA resident btw.

Can someone give me a little direction please?

I'm a pre-vet student (biology major, chemistry minor) in my 3rd year- application time is coming up! My overall GPA isn't the best.. it's a 3.67 (same for my science GPA). I'm in the general honors society and the biology honors society at my college. I'm treasurer of the biology honors society and I'm an active member of the biology club. I haven't taken the GRE yet, I'm scheduled to next month. My extra curricular activities are:
  • working (20-40 hrs a week) at animal hospital as a veterinary assistant (wildlife and small animal practice)
  • volunteered at multiple animal shelters (cat and dog)
  • participate in fundraiser walks (breast cancer, allergy, suicide awareness)
  • volunteer occasionally at the local soup kitchen
  • volunteer at wild life sanctuary
  • volunteer with children at medical hospital
  • going to South Africa for 2 weeks in December to volunteer (rehabilitating wild animals and building community)
  • going to UPenn for Summer Vet 2 week program
  • shadowing a local veterinarian during surgeries
Do you think I have what it takes? Feedback- negative and positive- would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know the likelihood of my acceptance into UC Davis with a 3.9 last 45 GPA and 3.5ish overall science GPA? I haven't taken the GRE yet, but assuming that I do really well in it (90%+) and get strong PPIs, what would my chances be of getting into UCD with my sci GPA on the low side? I'm a CA resident btw.

very likely i think! :D at least an offer for an interview, everyone starts out with a clean slate at that stage

I'm a pre-vet student (biology major, chemistry minor) in my 3rd year- application time is coming up! My overall GPA isn't the best.. it's a 3.67 (same for my science GPA). I'm in the general honors society and the biology honors society at my college. I'm treasurer of the biology honors society and I'm an active member of the biology club. I haven't taken the GRE yet, I'm scheduled to next month. My extra curricular activities are:
  • working (20-40 hrs a week) at animal hospital as a veterinary assistant (wildlife and small animal practice)
  • going to South Africa for 2 weeks in December to volunteer (rehabilitating wild animals and building community)
Do you think I have what it takes? Feedback- negative and positive- would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you have an idea yet of where you'd like to apply? Also, where is your IS?

3.67 is certainly not a bad GPA! How is your last 45 looking? Is it better than your current GPA, worse, the same?

My big piece of advice, which is probably the same thing most people have reiterated on here over and over again is to diversify your experience a bit. It's awesome that you have exotics and small animal experience. However, obtaining a little bit of large animal and horse experience would look great. If possible, if you can get involved with some research prior to applying, that would look great as well! Last thing, do you have any clue how many hours you have accrued thus far at the small animal/wildlife clinic? As working there for 6 months (at that rate) will not produce the same amount of hours as working their for 4 years lol.

As the person before me asked, what schools are you thinking of applying to?

Howdy, yall!
I'm not sure if this is the right place, because I'm essentially just starting this gig, but I don't want to spam the main forum with a new thread.
I'm 23. I started college at 18 and my first 2 semesters were mediocre - low 3, my summer the same, and then the two after that were 0.0. Long story short I wound up dealing with a nasty divorce on my parents' end and getting cheated on by a long term girlfriend and mishandled it. I let school get out from under me and got straight Fs for 15 units, and then the second semester, figuring that I had zero chance of being a vet, I just quit going to class half way through the semester and wound up with another 12 units of Fs.
I've since grown up quite a bit, got myself a great job as an electrician, will have my journeyman's license shortly, and have been back at school. I took a year off of work and started school back up at a community college for a business degree and had 33 credits at a 4.0 with one honors class. To put things in perspective, that was just enough to get me over the 2.0 mark to get in to Penn State World Campus. I'm now working 40-60 hours a week as an electrician and taking 12 hours of school. I spoke to someone who did admissions for med school and they said that if I had my sciences knocked out and kept up the 4.0 that I'd actually have a pretty good chance (historically I test well and I'm not particularly worried about the MCAT). Med school is the consolation prize though. Ideally I'd like to make it to vet school.
My big concern about vet school is that they don't weigh the standardized tests very highly. I've got decent savings, but my girlfriend will be in residency by the time that I hit vet school, and that means that I'm in state (Texas A&M).

Admissions Criteria (pre-interview)
GPA
Overall GPA 40 points
Science GPA 40 points
GPA in Last 45 hours 40 points
GRE Scores
Analytical 25 points
Quantitative 25 points
Verbal 10 points
Academic Total 180 points
Extracurricular activities, leadership experience, personal statement, evaluations and socioeconomic background 28 points
Academic rigor 24 points
Veterinary experience 16 points
Animal experience 12 points
Professional Preparation Total 80 points

My science GPA will be solid, my last 45 hours will likely be a 4.0, but my overall will just barely be a 3.1 or 3.2. I plan to take a few extra sciences just to make sure that I've got a 3.6/3.7 science GPA. My GRE verbal and quant will likely be at least 85th percentile with a lower analytical score (probably around 70th unless I do the Kaplan stuff). I've got tons of work experience and leadership, and I think that I can make a strong personal statement, especially regarding why the weakness is in my GPA.

I'm worried about academic rigor, because I can't reasonably take more than 12 hours a semester as is, and I would only be doing a single science course per semester. My veterinary experience will also be limited- I've got 40 hours now and will probably have another 120 more by the time I apply. I have animal experience with large animals from horseback riding, along with a ton of pet sitting in high school and working on my grandfather's farm, and I'm starting to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours every weekend with a no kill shelter. I'm also looking at taking a month off to get exotics experience in when I go to move cities. That said, this is pretty much as much animal experience as I can get right now. I could possibly take 6 months off right before admissions, but there's the whole problem of bills to pay.

I'm not headed to vet school anytime soon, but I would like to be there in the next 3-4 years. My question is whether or not I've actually got a chance of landing an interview if I follow through. I'm pretty busy right now, but I can squeeze more out of myself. I just want to make sure that it's not a fool's errand.

Thanks for yall's time.

My science GPA will be solid, my last 45 hours will likely be a 4.0, but my overall will just barely be a 3.1 or 3.2. I plan to take a few extra sciences just to make sure that I've got a 3.6/3.7 science GPA. My GRE verbal and quant will likely be at least 85th percentile with a lower analytical score (probably around 70th unless I do the Kaplan stuff). I've got tons of work experience and leadership, and I think that I can make a strong personal statement, especially regarding why the weakness is in my GPA.

I'm worried about academic rigor, because I can't reasonably take more than 12 hours a semester as is, and I would only be doing a single science course per semester. My veterinary experience will also be limited- I've got 40 hours now and will probably have another 120 more by the time I apply. I have animal experience with large animals from horseback riding, along with a ton of pet sitting in high school and working on my grandfather's farm, and I'm starting to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours every weekend with a no kill shelter. I'm also looking at taking a month off to get exotics experience in when I go to move cities. That said, this is pretty much as much animal experience as I can get right now. I could possibly take 6 months off right before admissions, but there's the whole problem of bills to pay.

I'm not headed to vet school anytime soon, but I would like to be there in the next 3-4 years. My question is whether or not I've actually got a chance of landing an interview if I follow through. I'm pretty busy right now, but I can squeeze more out of myself. I just want to make sure that it's not a fool's errand.

Thanks for yall's time.

Howdy! I'm a 1VM at A&M now (IT IS AMAZING!) and if you go back and find my stats in the Accepted Stats c/0 2018 thread, you'll see that I had very similar GPAs to you--except my science wasn't as good. So I don't think you should stress about grades too much. I had an F on my transcript and a more than a few Cs scattered around. I did get my butt in gear and made all As in both of my graduate degrees, though. Admissions likes to see an upward trend.

Academic rigor is a small chunk and while every point counts, I'd be more worried about getting experience. The AdCom loves to see lots of experience and a variety of it--so small, large, food, wildlife, research, exotics, etc. Contact as many vets as you can in your area to see if any will let you shadow for a few hours on the weekend. If you're not gungho on getting in next year, a couple hours here and there will soon add up.

Also, I'd probably leave the reason for your GPA weakness for your explanation statement. Unless it somehow relates directly to your reasons for wanting to become a veterinarian and what you plan to contribute to the field.

If you have any other specific questions or want to ask about my application/essays/whatever, just shoot me a PM. :) Good luck with your journey!

3.67 is certainly not a bad GPA! How is your last 45 looking? Is it better than your current GPA, worse, the same?

My big piece of advice, which is probably the same thing most people have reiterated on here over and over again is to diversify your experience a bit. It's awesome that you have exotics and small animal experience. However, obtaining a little bit of large animal and horse experience would look great. If possible, if you can get involved with some research prior to applying, that would look great as well! Last thing, do you have any clue how many hours you have accrued thus far at the small animal/wildlife clinic? As working there for 6 months (at that rate) will not produce the same amount of hours as working their for 4 years lol.

As the person before me asked, what schools are you thinking of applying to?

I'm trying but I have such a busy schedule between work, school, studying, and all the volunteering I'm already doing. I'm taking a research class for 4 semesters which allows me to learn how to write papers as well as actually doing research techniques in a lab. I can calculate the hours but they're definitely not a lot compared to other applicants I'm sure.. I work 20-40 hour weeks at my job for the last 6 months so thats under small animal. The exotic animals- I'll be in Africa for 2 weeks under a vet there and 5 months at a wild life sanctuary. I'm a New York resident so I'll be applying to Cornell of course, but my other top picks are Michigan, Ohio and North Carolina.

I'm trying but I have such a busy schedule between work, school, studying, and all the volunteering I'm already doing. I'm taking a research class for 4 semesters which allows me to learn how to write papers as well as actually doing research techniques in a lab. I can calculate the hours but they're definitely not a lot compared to other applicants I'm sure.. I work 20-40 hour weeks at my job for the last 6 months so thats under small animal. The exotic animals- I'll be in Africa for 2 weeks under a vet there and 5 months at a wild life sanctuary. I'm a New York resident so I'll be applying to Cornell of course, but my other top picks are Michigan, Ohio and North Carolina.
Are you doing anything with that research class? Aka designing your on project outside of class or even within the class?

So figure about 600 hours small animal, which is decent. And probably like 80-100 exotic, which is also decent (strictly talking about experience with a vet).

And yeah, I specifically changed my in state from New York due to the high tuition for in state as well. Idk as much about ohio and michigan, but I know nc state values experience (one of the things on their site says average experience for OOS is upwards of 2000) and values research a fair amount. In New York, there are tons of opportunities for large animal experience, obviously small animal experience, and horses are big as well (but that is probably bigger on the island with the race track and all). You don't need astronomical amounts of hours. But of you work 10 hours a week shadowing a horse vet or a large animal vet, that's 100 hours right there showing a bit of variety:

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy! I'm a 1VM at A&M now (IT IS AMAZING!) and if you go back and find my stats in the Accepted Stats c/0 2018 thread, you'll see that I had very similar GPAs to you--except my science wasn't as good. So I don't think you should stress about grades too much. I had an F on my transcript and a more than a few Cs scattered around. I did get my butt in gear and made all As in both of my graduate degrees, though. Admissions likes to see an upward trend.

Academic rigor is a small chunk and while every point counts, I'd be more worried about getting experience. The AdCom loves to see lots of experience and a variety of it--so small, large, food, wildlife, research, exotics, etc. Contact as many vets as you can in your area to see if any will let you shadow for a few hours on the weekend. If you're not gungho on getting in next year, a couple hours here and there will soon add up.

Also, I'd probably leave the reason for your GPA weakness for your explanation statement. Unless it somehow relates directly to your reasons for wanting to become a veterinarian and what you plan to contribute to the field.

If you have any other specific questions or want to ask about my application/essays/whatever, just shoot me a PM. :) Good luck with your journey!

You're awesome! Thank you for the advice and the boost. Good luck with this semester :)

I'm only 2nd year pre-vet, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track...

Pursuing BS Cellular Biology and BA Classical Studies
Cell Bio 101-A
Gen Chem 1- B-
Gen Chem 2- C+
Genetics- B
Calculus- B+
Cum GPA 3.45
Major (bio) GPA 3.6
Major GPA (classics) 4.0

I'm going to undergrad in Louisiana but I'm not from here, but I'm considering getting residency in the next couple years for LSU. They allow you to do that while you are in undergrad as long as you "show commitment to stay in state" (opinions? Is it worth the headaches?)

Active volunteer at LASPCA working with every animal (someone surrendered a pot belly pig a few weeks ago)
animal owner my entire life
horse experience starting at age 8 (my first horse got an abdominal hernia when I was 17 and I had it operated on... my PS has pretty much written itself already)
I've worked at a pet store for 3ish years... made it up to Small Animal manager and was the only one trained to work every department
I shadowed in a SA/exotics clinic in high school, and the shelter I'm volunteering at now thinks they can get me a job in the clinic next year.
Unfortunately there is no LA experience to be had in New Orleans. Zip. Nada. Zilch.
I've been to Best Friends in Utah

VP/President of Humans vs Zombies, Exec board Trash to Treasure, Classics club

Studying classics abroad in Rome next semester

Okay, so this is more of a question about last quarter classes, but it has to do with their effect on chances... so I'm hoping it's okay to post here to avoid making another thread.

So I had been planning to graduate this quarter, and retake my third quarter of ochem+lab at a CC to save money. Somethings changed though, and I can stay another quarter at my uni instead.

I can't decide between a 3 credit 400 level bio class and a 3 credit medical terminiology class to make me full time along with the ochem+lab and a 300 level Animal Behavior class.

I know the bio would be better, but I'm upping my hours at work and I'm worried about not having enough time. My only easy quarter all through college was my first, and all last year I took the max amount of credits (and that was also my best year). So would my last quarter being easier be frowned upon? If it'll effect my chances, I'll just take the bio and maybe take the 200 level behavior class instead and try to see about keeping my hours the same.

Okay, so this is more of a question about last quarter classes, but it has to do with their effect on chances... so I'm hoping it's okay to post here to avoid making another thread.

So I had been planning to graduate this quarter, and retake my third quarter of ochem+lab at a CC to save money. Somethings changed though, and I can stay another quarter at my uni instead.

I can't decide between a 3 credit 400 level bio class and a 3 credit medical terminiology class to make me full time along with the ochem+lab and a 300 level Animal Behavior class.

I know the bio would be better, but I'm upping my hours at work and I'm worried about not having enough time. My only easy quarter all through college was my first, and all last year I took the max amount of credits (and that was also my best year). So would my last quarter being easier be frowned upon? If it'll effect my chances, I'll just take the bio and maybe take the 200 level behavior class instead and try to see about keeping my hours the same.
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the Med Term class, especially if you're already going to be taking ochem (which is hella difficult) and the upper level behavior class. Unless you're positive that you'll do superawesometastic in that upper level bio class.

I'm pretty sure I'd do superawesometastic (this may be my new favorite word haha) if I was taking it with any other class but ochem+lab. It's in my major and taught by an awesome professor, but I really need to do well in ochem, so I feel like most of my time will be spent focusing on that.

Thanks! That makes me feel better.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so hopefully someone can redirect me if necessary.

I am hoping to apply to vet schools next year, but I need to fill a few pre-reqs. I can't find a biochem class at a university near me that fits with my work schedule, so I am looking online. I found the UNE Medical biochem course, but purdue is saying they wont accept it because the course number is 100 and so its not upper level...UIUC said it was acceptable though, and I'm waiting to hear from Wisconsin.

My question is, has anyone used a UNE course to apply to Purdue? or does anyone know of an online biochemistry course that fits the pre-reqs for UIUC, wisconsin, purdue and michigan???

I appreciate the help!

My question is, has anyone used a UNE course to apply to Purdue? or does anyone know of an online biochemistry course that fits the pre-reqs for UIUC, wisconsin, purdue and michigan???

Many vet schools - to my knowledge - require or "prefer" biochemistry to be taken with a lab component so just be careful of that.

Many vet schools - to my knowledge - require or "prefer" biochemistry to be taken with a lab component so just be careful of that.
That might be true for some schools, but my university didn't really offer a general biochem w/ lab class, and I haven't (knock on wood) encountered any problems with that, at least for the schools I applied to.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so hopefully someone can redirect me if necessary.

I am hoping to apply to vet schools next year, but I need to fill a few pre-reqs. I can't find a biochem class at a university near me that fits with my work schedule, so I am looking online. I found the UNE Medical biochem course, but purdue is saying they wont accept it because the course number is 100 and so its not upper level...UIUC said it was acceptable though, and I'm waiting to hear from Wisconsin.

I appreciate the help!

CSU has an online biochem course offered in the spring (4 credits)

http://www.online.colostate.edu/courses/BC/BC351.dot

I took my physiology course through them...

That might be true for some schools, but my university didn't really offer a general biochem w/ lab class, and I haven't (knock on wood) encountered any problems with that, at least for the schools I applied to.
Purdue doesn't care if you don't have a biochem lab.

Soo this may be a dumb question, but if I am working as a tech for the local animal rescue league, since I am working directly under vet supervision, can I put that down as veterinary experience? THANKS!

Soo this may be a dumb question, but if I am working as a tech for the local animal rescue league, since I am working directly under vet supervision, can I put that down as veterinary experience? THANKS!
Yup!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering about credit load. I wasn't planning on going to vet school during my undergrad. I even took a few years off to get more involved in research. I am wondering how heavily the credit load is in the admissions process if you are also working 20 hrs or more a week in addition to your classes (which by the way I took every semester, including summer).

Just wondering about credit load. I wasn't planning on going to vet school during my undergrad. I even took a few years off to get more involved in research. I am wondering how heavily the credit load is in the admissions process if you are also working 20 hrs or more a week in addition to your classes (which by the way I took every semester, including summer).

Are you asking how heavy your semester credit load factors into your decision because you worked 20 hours a week in addition to your classes?

If so, I honestly think it's going to depend on the school, the courses you took and how you did in them. If you took a lighter course load/lower level classes while working, but did poorly, I think it's going to hurt more than help. But if you took an average/normal course load (meaning like meets requirements to be a full time student) and did well while working 20+ hours a week, I don't think it's going to count against you. And I think there are only a few schools that really factor academic rigor into their calculation (I think Penn is one...), so for those schools, it might count a little more.

Are you asking how heavy your semester credit load factors into your decision because you worked 20 hours a week in addition to your classes?

If so, I honestly think it's going to depend on the school, the courses you took and how you did in them. If you took a lighter course load/lower level classes while working, but did poorly, I think it's going to hurt more than help. But if you took an average/normal course load (meaning like meets requirements to be a full time student) and did well while working 20+ hours a week, I don't think it's going to count against you. And I think there are only a few schools that really factor academic rigor into their calculation (I think Penn is one...), so for those schools, it might count a little more.

Thank you for replying. Yes, that is what I meant. I took 6-13 ish credits/semester with pretty high GPA with the exception of a few semesters where I had around a 3.4. I took about 6 or less credits in the summer (not really required) and full-time in the spring and fall so I could maintain my job. Do you know about CSU specifically?

Hi all,
I've posted here before, but I did not have complete information about how my statistics looked like when I did. Now that I know, I'd like some information about how high my chances are for getting into veterinary school, and some advice for interviews if I earn some. I know you all probably see tons of these, but I'd really appreciate some help!

Will graduate with a B.S. in Environmental Science in 2016, though I am applying for c/o 2015 (before I graduate)
Cumulative GPA: 3.77
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.71
BCPM (sciences) GPA: 3.82

GRE scores:
Verbal: 166
Quant: 152
Analytical: 4

Hours of experience:
Animal:
11000 hours working with cows, horses, dogs, goats, and chickens (this is on our farm)
100 hours of walking dogs/cleaning kennels at a animal shelter
20 hours

Veterinary:
~300 hours as a non-paid vet-tech at a mixed animal practice
160 hours (and counting) working as a volunteer in a parvovirus isolation ward
22 hours volunteering at a strictly equine practice

Letters of Recommendation:
2 vets I've worked with
1 Professor

Places I've applied to:
University of Florida
Oklahoma State University
Texas A&M (my in-state and where I really want to go!)

Thanks so much!

Will graduate with a B.S. in Environmental Science in 2016, though I am applying for c/o 2015 (before I graduate)
Cumulative GPA: 3.77
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.71
BCPM (sciences) GPA: 3.82

GRE scores:
Verbal: 166
Quant: 152
Analytical: 4

Hours of experience:
Animal:
11000 hours working with cows, horses, dogs, goats, and chickens (this is on our farm)
100 hours of walking dogs/cleaning kennels at a animal shelter
20 hours

Veterinary:
~300 hours as a non-paid vet-tech at a mixed animal practice
160 hours (and counting) working as a volunteer in a parvovirus isolation ward
22 hours volunteering at a strictly equine practice

Letters of Recommendation:
2 vets I've worked with
1 Professor

Places I've applied to:
University of Florida
Oklahoma State University
Texas A&M (my in-state and where I really want to go!)

Thanks so much!

Howdy! First year here at A&M (loving it, even though I should technically be paying attention in Immuno right now, hehe), so I thought I'd chime in. Your numbers look pretty good as far as A&M is concerned. Your vet hours look a bit on the low side and your Quant GRE is a few points below the average. However, your GPAs look good and that's a huge chunk of the points. I'd be surprised if you didn't get an interview...unless the applicants this year are just beasts. You should hear from A&M around 12/20. If you have any questions about the school in particular, I'd be happy to answer them--just shoot me a PM.

Good luck! :)

Looking for advice on where to "re" start.

I am 29 and have a 6 month old daughter. I have been a licensed veterinary technician sine 2006. I do enjoy my job but find it frustrating knowing things and not being allowed to say them, and wanting to know more and do more but again it is either outside of my legal abilities and/or company protocol. Being a vet tech is a wonderful career but I pursued it as a back up and still feel slightly unfulfilled. I don't want to not become a veterinarian because I didn't try. I'd rather try and fail and then continue as a tech or try and succeed.

I would like to have one more child ASAP while working on finishing my last per-requisites and then go to vet school while my kids are still young.

My Stats:
A.A.S in Veterinary Science Technology in 2006= 3.78 GPA (LOVED tech school!)
B.S. in Animal Science in 2009 = 3.16 GPA
(Hated the school and had a difficult time with depression/anxiety/untreated hypothyroidism)

Animal Experience:
Dog/Cat Emergency Medicine >6000 hours (some neurology) as LVT
Small Animal Medicine (Primarily Dogs/Cats) >5000 hours as LVT
Large Animal ~ 150 hours of hands on class time
Lab Animal ~ 50 hours of hands on class time
I raise goats for what its worth.

My Issues:
My last 45 hours contain my worst grades because I failed Organic chemistry and Physics.
My grades from 2004 are ten years old meaning I'd have to retake microbiology unless something else I've taken will suffice. Other classes are getting old too.
Most of my experience is with small animal.
Depression/Anxiety which I take meds and see a counselor for

My thoughts:
I could shadow or do relief shifts with internal medicine/ultrasound, and/or neurology?
Get a part time job with large animal vet?

Should I focus on updating my classes and getting good grades for my last 45 credit hours or on getting more varied experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for advice on where to "re" start.

I am 29 and have a 6 month old daughter. I have been a licensed veterinary technician sine 2006. I do enjoy my job but find it frustrating knowing things and not being allowed to say them, and wanting to know more and do more but again it is either outside of my legal abilities and/or company protocol. Being a vet tech is a wonderful career but I pursued it as a back up and still feel slightly unfulfilled. I don't want to not become a veterinarian because I didn't try. I'd rather try and fail and then continue as a tech or try and succeed.

I would like to have one more child ASAP while working on finishing my last per-requisites and then go to vet school while my kids are still young.

My Stats:
A.A.S in Veterinary Science Technology in 2006= 3.78 GPA (LOVED tech school!)
B.S. in Animal Science in 2009 = 3.16 GPA
(Hated the school and had a difficult time with depression/anxiety/untreated hypothyroidism)

Animal Experience:
Dog/Cat Emergency Medicine >6000 hours (some neurology) as LVT
Small Animal Medicine (Primarily Dogs/Cats) >5000 hours as LVT
Large Animal ~ 150 hours of hands on class time
Lab Animal ~ 50 hours of hands on class time
I raise goats for what its worth.

My Issues:
My last 45 hours contain my worst grades because I failed Organic chemistry and Physics.
My grades from 2004 are ten years old meaning I'd have to retake microbiology unless something else I've taken will suffice. Other classes are getting old too.
Most of my experience is with small animal.
Depression/Anxiety which I take meds and see a counselor for

My thoughts:
I could shadow or do relief shifts with internal medicine/ultrasound, and/or neurology?
Get a part time job with large animal vet?

Should I focus on updating my classes and getting good grades for my last 45 credit hours or on getting more varied experience?

Where are you applying?

Where are you applying?

I had applied to OVC, CSU, and SGU fall 2012, but failed physics.

My attempt to better my last 45 hours didn't go well thanks to that...

Because I have a family now I'd add Tufts but would need A few more classes.

I'd apply to OVC again probably because my required course list was good and its closer and where my grandfather went.

I'd probably still try SGU.

I don't have an in state school

I'd apply to OVC again probably because my required course list was good and its closer and where my grandfather went.

Did you get file reviews? They're probably way more qualified to advise you than I am (still pre-vet, didn't apply to any of your planned schools), but here are my 2 cents:

I'd focus on getting good grades and retaking classes, maybe even classes that aren't that old (especially if you actually failed orgo and physics). Consider schools that take your retake grades instead of averaging, depending on how far you'd want to relocate. When you apply, you will have way more vet experience than the average applicant (like me!) -- you could try to get some quality hours in large animal or elsewhere, but if you're set on SA, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think vet schools really want to see that you can handle a rigorous science curriculum, since that's what you'd be drowning in for the first 3 years. Kicking ass in your classes now will bump up your last 45 and show vet schools that you CAN excel in science, and you've totally overcome the issues that affected your Animal Science B.S.

Oh, and if your GRE is mediocre, definitely retake and rock it to make up for any bad grades. It's a totally useless test but SGU and Tufts seem to think it matters in the numbers game...

Good luck!

I will say that Tufts does put a good pit of weight on GPA/GRE scores. Experience wise I think you'll be fine for them, but I was rejected flat out after being wait listed a previous cycle because of average GRE scores. So I think the suggestions Sorasea mentioned for approaching your classes seems like a good approach.

Can't speak for the other schools.

I'm not set on SA. I'd love to be a goat vet ( small ruminant ). I show goats and love em. there are also scholarships available for LA and I'm looking at a lot of debt. ( more than my house!)

I don't remember my gre scores off the top of my head but they were ok to good.

I have since passed orgo. But will need to retake physics I lecture. Tufts would require orgo and physics 2 as well.

I never got an application review... Probably too late now.

What about me?

I'm only 2nd year pre-vet, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track...

Pursuing BS Cellular Biology and BA Classical Studies
Cell Bio 101-A
Gen Chem 1- B-
Gen Chem 2- C+
Genetics- B
Calculus- B+
Cum GPA 3.45
Major (bio) GPA 3.6
Major GPA (classics) 4.0

I'm going to undergrad in Louisiana but I'm not from here, but I'm considering getting residency in the next couple years for LSU. They allow you to do that while you are in undergrad as long as you "show commitment to stay in state" (opinions? Is it worth the headaches?)

Active volunteer at LASPCA working with every animal (someone surrendered a pot belly pig a few weeks ago)
animal owner my entire life
horse experience starting at age 8 (my first horse got an abdominal hernia when I was 17 and I had it operated on... my PS has pretty much written itself already)
I've worked at a pet store for 3ish years... made it up to Small Animal manager and was the only one trained to work every department
I shadowed in a SA/exotics clinic in high school, and the shelter I'm volunteering at now thinks they can get me a job in the clinic next year.
Unfortunately there is no LA experience to be had in New Orleans. Zip. Nada. Zilch.
I've been to Best Friends in Utah

VP/President of Humans vs Zombies, Exec board Trash to Treasure, Classics club

Studying classics abroad in Rome next semester

What about me?
Looks like you're on the right track for me, though I'm curious how your cum gpa is below both of your major gpas? Are the chem classes not included in your bio major (they are in mine so that's why I'm wondering).

As far as getting Louisiana residence, that really depends on you. Does your current state have a vet school? If not it is definitely worth it to get residency in a state that does.

What about me?
Make sure you add in quality vet experience while you have time. Your HS shadowing will count but the vet may not remember you well enough to write an outstanding LoR in a couple of years.

And diversifying experience can include research, depending on your top choice school. If you're interested in bench work, see if any of your professors takes undergrad lab monkeys. At my undergrad, I got paid for my research assistance through work-study, which was a very nice, if measly, plus.

Looks like you're on the right track for me, though I'm curious how your cum gpa is below both of your major gpas? Are the chem classes not included in your bio major (they are in mine so that's why I'm wondering).

As far as getting Louisiana residence, that really depends on you. Does your current state have a vet school? If not it is definitely worth it to get residency in a state that does.

Chemistry is not in my major GPA. Yay. Is my cum a little low though?

I'm from Maine and there's one of those IS deals with UVM... but I left New England for a reason and I'm not going back. Plus the tuition deal is still pretty comparable to OOS. Residency in LA is pretty expensive too... Registering/insuring my car is going to cost almost 3x as much as it would back home. The IS tuition might just come out in the wash.

Thing is, I don't really like LSU... NCState is my top choice, UGA is second. I had gotten accepted to NCState and GTech for undergrad but the scholarships were pathetic, so here I am in the Big Easy.

Make sure you add in quality vet experience while you have time. Your HS shadowing will count but the vet may not remember you well enough to write an outstanding LoR in a couple of years.

And diversifying experience can include research, depending on your top choice school. If you're interested in bench work, see if any of your professors takes undergrad lab monkeys. At my undergrad, I got paid for my research assistance through work-study, which was a very nice, if measly, plus.

My vet is a very good family friend... Getting her rec won't be a problem. And I've been offered an internship at the community clinic at the SPCA starting next year, and there's a small exotic vet that has offered to let me shadow. There's also a zoo volunteer program I might apply for.

Chemistry is not in my major GPA. Yay. Is my cum a little low though?

I'm from Maine and there's one of those IS deals with UVM... but I left New England for a reason and I'm not going back. Plus the tuition deal is still pretty comparable to OOS. Residency in LA is pretty expensive too... Registering/insuring my car is going to cost almost 3x as much as it would back home. The IS tuition might just come out in the wash.

Thing is, I don't really like LSU... NCState is my top choice, UGA is second. I had gotten accepted to NCState and GTech for undergrad but the scholarships were pathetic, so here I am in the Big Easy.
A little, particularly if you're looking to apply to NCSU or UGA out of state.

You'd have to really look at the tuition difference. I suspect over the course of 4 years it may be worth it to be IS, even if getting residency is initially expensive. But if you don't like LSU/aren't going to want to apply there anyway, then there isn't really a point in getting residency.

Should I bother with a second degree or just take classes?
Do you mean a second B.S.? I'm not sure adcoms will care when you already have a degree in Animal Science. Potentially hard, almost definitely boring extra classes to fulfill arbitrary degree requirements aren't worth the money. Plus, you've already got school/work/family on your plate...don't overwork yourself. :)

Unless you mean an advanced degree, like an M.S. in something sciencey -- definitely would help your app if you got a good GPA, open up new job opportunities, etc. but not everyone's cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.